AUGS Survey on Pelvic Mesh Complications

logoMesh Medical Device News Desk, September 21, 2016 ~  Consumers injured by pelvic mesh may want to reach out to the medical group with a specialty in female pelvic health.

This survey Note * Please check the “Other” box to add any comments.

The American Urogynecologic Society (AUGS) has created a survey to learn more about patients’ experiences with SUI, stress urinary incontinence, treatment of SUI and life after the treatment selected.

They are interested in hearing from women to help raise awareness and better inform other patients seeking information about SUI treatment options.pfd-week-sponsors-note-caldera-is-one-of-them

The American Urogynecologic Society is a medical society of roughly 1,800 members, many of whom have a specialty in urogynecology.

AUGS is planning its  upcoming annual conference in Denver next week to discuss, among other things, the future of pelvic mesh in light of 100,000 defective product lawsuits filed in the U.S. alone.

Despite the complications many women experience following a pelvic mesh implant as a treatment for SUI, AUGS wants to keep the mid-urethral sling pelvic mesh on the market.   See its statement here.

Below is a link to the AUGS electronic survey (you may have to copy and paste the link into your browser):

This questionnaire went out to member doctors.  Doctors are told if their clients are suffering because of mesh, please ask them to check “other” and write in their complaints.  This form does not allow for anything other than the mesh did not work – not that there were complications.

AUGS says “We would like the survey to accurately reflect the problems related to these devices.”

Here is the AUGS page that refers to the survey. ##

1. Tammy S J says:

Done and offered to Advocate, placed my email. Thank you Jane

2. greg vigna says:

AUGS members who implant TVT-O devices will get sued over this policy statement because of the failure of adequate informed consent because TVT-Os put the pudendal nerve/obturator nerve in peril causing CRPS-2 and destroys lives. The MDLs are Settling out and things are turning. AMS was smart to Settle Out first and was smart to exit the market on Slings. Doctors who implant TVT-O Slings will be sued when this defective device causes PN/CRPS-2/Obturator Neuralgia. If the FDA Doesn’t force the issue, Malpractice actions will.
    GVMDJD

• ANNE says:

I have been diagnose with pudendal neuralgia, had nerve block injections, which worked for a little while now need to return for more. When i spoke to my case worker she seem to think that was not important with my case, after so many doctor one finally mention the possibility of my two mesh implants being a problem. What does it take for this doctors to see there is definitely a problem with this products, and women are suffering.

It probably takes medical malpractice lawsuits before the light goes off, in my opinion.

• This apparently is a survey only for the women who had surgery for incontinence, not for women who had surgery for prolapse. Of course, scientific research has determined that transvaginal placement of mesh for POP is not safe. The research up to now has not indicated that mesh for SUI has the same rate of complications. That is not because it is inherently safe, but that randomized control studies have not been done. Most research on mesh has been retrospective, they go back and review patient charts. Hopefully, this questionnaire can put out some actual patient experiences and allow scientists to construct research models based on surveys like this one. I urgecanyone who had mesh for SUI to complete the survey.

• Lordhelpus says:

What happens then when your lawyer tells you that they only sue the company and not the dr? I wanted to sue from the very beginning, now I feel stuck….

Early on, trial attnys decided to include the count of defective instructions to the end user, that is the doctor. Frankly, the docs I’ve seen on the stand really didn’t question their sales rep or weekend cadaver clinics… sort of naive. Other docs took a look at plastic and said there is no way this will work in a pelvic area of a moving, living woman. The tide may be changing on that as doctors now KNOW or should know that mesh causes complications and juries have found many to be defective. How could they not know. You may see more medical malpractice claims in the future, is my opinion and the opinion of others.

• Jimmy says:

Does this matter when you were implanted with the tvt-o.

3. me76 says:

canada needs to do the same

4. Sea says:

How do we know we can trust this association? Just asking …..losing trust with anyone I can’t see face to face …..sorry to have to bring this up in the medical world …but the only site I seem to trust with this situation is this web site and all those who come here because we are all so damaged by this mesh mess ….Thanks so much Jane …..You have my trust and we, who are sisters of this mesh mess have my trust also …..

Thank you for saying so… I’ve not violated any ones confidence so far…. knock on wood….. AUGS is made up of doctors , many of whom have conflicting arrangements with industry. Part of their survival is to deny there is a problem…. things such “mesh doesn’t cause pain,” “I’ve never heard of complications”… never mind that often they do not want a problem patient to return… I’ve heard that too. Many in AUGS believe the “better” surgeons don’t have problems. There must be a lot of substandard docs out there then because in excess of 100,000 women aren’t making it up. Can you enter your information anonymously? I don’t think it could hurt even if you have to give your name…. its puts a name on a problem. It lets them know by direct means, that you have complications that are real and not of some lawyer’s imagination….. it’s sort of a direct pipeline. and makes it tough to deny, which AUGS needs to hear in my opinion. ….but that is entirely your call.

5. Greg vigna says:

TVT-O devices that are placed without an informed consent that includes pudendal neuralgia is a failure of an informed consent.

These cases are now viable. TVT-O devices are nearly as dangerous as POP devices.

6. Barbara l says:

What is wrong that you have never heard how lifes been lost pain we live with day to day , I have had 4 surgery related to slings and mesh
    All plastic no one informed me was going inside! You have used toxic plastic no amount of greed is worth our lives , headaches sinus , auto immune diseases all our family timed missed when so sick! Congestion in pelvic area swelling pain awful nerve pain can’t stand my top pubic bone touched burning in vagina extreamly pain with sex ,spasms And no one offers even flexeral to even help muscle relaxant
    Even after it’s been out ,over 18 years of damage first 1996 surgery then another 1997 recalled Dinosour plastic
    No one said toxic plastic! degrades 77degrees human 98.7 throw fevers from infection102 to107 don’t know how I survived, sepsis over and over can’t sit for any length of time as need to recline driving awful to again recline short time ! Immune systym waked out scratch till bloody ,blood in urine also
    My opp report missing from 1996 surgery! And don’t think I trust or beleave anyone! If you want people to stop using doctors keep puting mesh or slings ! No sex life on my side when we try light out so he can’t see the tears I try to hide yet I crave what we had ! Intamacy painful now awful Hardly ever do I try and when we do I cry
    No one can give me back my life
    Only thing offers me nerve pain drugs worse side affects ever read and I’m allergic to so much only like to take things I have had with no problems.
    Would be nice to have pain killers at night and when pain keeps my leg draging after to much walking Charlie horses in groan burning thru vagina and leg , little sleep waking from pain!
    Asprine is all I have time ,rock and tears often nights are the worse fevers still
    Put one in all the urologist for10 20 years if you can live that long?
    If this was men it would have stoped right away! Greed will make your bussiness run away and tell the rest stay clear my family feels the same as my daughters and foster daughters
    This is so wrong on every leval
    How many males have it this war on women ! Get a sling or mesh if you love pain want to die and hate sex! Go ahead dare you but don’t do this to anyone else..I also have PTSD now and can’t make my self go back in yet just to phycyatrist !exzams are awful to
    And burning proud flesh hurts was not numb nerve damage thru and thru

7. Barbara l M says:

And MERSA after 2016 June surgery
    And again to open absess hospital was living in blood clots in arms vomiting etc and my pain has never been controlled, still I fight! To stop anyone else from going thru unbearable torture!
    @Melling_lynn

• Jimmy says:

My mother to has gotten MRSA from this mesh

• Barbara, i am so sorry for the pain that just spills out in your post. I was there once and still travel in that pain world on some days. You are not being assessed and treated appropriately for all of your pain areas. Each one has to be teased out and treated individually for you to get better. You have a right to this kind of care. Your doctors have an ethical responsibility to assess and treat you appropriately. If aspirin does not manage your pain, then your doctor should work WITH YOU to determine a plan of care. This may be a combination of medication, lifestyle changes such as diet and movement, counseling ( not because pain is all in your head, but because pain can take a tremendous toll on emotional health. PTSD frequently co-occurs with chronic pain. ) and any other referrals that will allow you to get to less pain. You are worthy of this care. Just because your doctor doesnt know how to manage this pain does not let him/her just ignore it. Please, keep a detailed pain journal, describe your pain in the way you did in this post, tell your doctor you are not sleeping, how this is negatively impacting all areas of your life. Be calm, yet very persistent. You are the center of patient centered care and you have the right to direct your care. Please dont give up.

Now, I cant tell from your post if you have filed a lawsuit, but out of an abundance of caution, dont post your twitter address, your last name or anything that can leave an easily traced digital footprint. There are hard and fast rules if you are in litigation and one is how you post things on social media. If in doubt, ask your attorney, if you have one.

Barbara, I will pray tonight that you find a path to a better place physically and emotionally. You most certainly deserve to get there.