She is the first woman to have successfully sued a surgical mesh manufacturer.
Last month, Christine Scott, 53, and her husband were awarded $5.5 million by a Bakersfield, California jury for the injuries she suffered after being implanted with a synthetic vaginal mesh. The manufacturer, C.R. Bard announced immediately it would sue.
The jury determined the doctor who implanted the mesh should be responsible for 40 percent of the award.
See the background story on MDND here.
Scott was implanted with transvaginal mesh, the Bard Avaulta Plus, to treat pelvic organ prolapse and urinary incontinence on January 9, 2008. Since then she has endured eight surgeries; she experiences daily pain, mesh erosion in the vagina and rectum, fecal incontinence, nerve damage and depression, among other complications.
A former runner, Scott says her fitness, her health and her marital relations have been ruined by mesh. The television story broadcast by KGET-TV Bakersfield shows how excited Scott was for the case to finally be over, not as much for the verdict, but because she “can finally get the word out.”
She says the hardest part during the four years it took to go to trial was keeping quiet and watching other women be hurt. Scott was represented by attorney Gene Lorenz of Bakersfield in California state court.
“The absolute worst decision I have ever made was having the transvaginal mesh procedure done for stress urinary incontinence. That decision has left me scarred and dealing with invariable pain for the rest of my life.
“I strongly encourage any woman considering this procedure to fully research every option and give other treatments deep consideration.
“Throughout Mesh Gone Wrong, a plethora of information can be found for anybody looking for a place to start — even my own personal account with transvaginal mesh.
Here is the Mesh Gone Wrong home page
TV story KGET- TV Bakersfield