Welcome 2016 and Let the Trials Begin!

2016Wishing you all a year of peace, healing and resolution! Certainly all of the mesh-injured patients and families deserve no less.

2016 is  beginning with a rush of pelvic mesh trials  in Pennsylvania, in Dallas, and in New Jersey.   Figueroa v. Boston Scientific was to begin in the first week of January (MND just learned it has been rescheduled to May 16, 2016)  and the Sherrer case against Boston Scientific and C.R. Bard will continue after a holiday recess.

January 11, a number of TVT (transvaginal tape) cases will begin against Ethicon in New Jersey and Ethicon (Johnson & Johnson) will face a series of trials in Pennsylvania.

All of this action comes after a very slow 2015 in which many of you wondered if you would ever see any settlement compensation for your mesh injuries.

Mesh News Desk is looking for Court Watchers in Dallas, Kansas City, Bergen County, New Jersey and in Philadelphia.  Please don’t hesitate.  Any set of eyes is helpful and you will be fascinated by watching one of these proceedings if you have not so far.

Thank you Mesh News Desk readers for hanging in there.  I’m always looking for your submissions and guest editors are welcome on any topic you’d like to handle.

Personal Profiles are always welcome, though your attorney will have to agree.

For those of you considering having a pelvic mesh implant, or a hernia mesh implant for that matter, please ask your doctor if he or she knows how to do an alternative procedure.  Unless and until one can predict who will react negatively, the Precautionary Principle is advised.  These pages will attest to that.

Onward Friends!

Jane Akre, editor MND

Jane Akre, editor MND

Jane Akre

Editor, MND

janeakre@meshnewsdesk.com

1. anonymous says:

I can only pray that 2016 will be the year that the Judge sends cases back to their states. I am a AMS victim. I have waited a very long time and they still have not contacted me regarding my case. I am told because I am severely hurt my case will be handled at the end. That is total B.S.!! I am told to stay quiet and not post or talk to anyone regarding my case since more than likely I will end up going to court. That is unless AMS gets there head out of the north side of a south facing mule!!! I have been told figures (not on my case but others) that make me wonder if they read medical records or not. I wonder if they understand permanently disabled, chronic pain, immune system disorders, dysuria, dyspareunia, chronic infections, life alterning complications from mesh, surgery after surgery to try to repair back to a sub normal state our bodies and the list goes on and on. If they are not assuming guilt then why are they offering settlements? Because they know, the juries know, everyone knows we were normal before the implantation of these mesh devices! They see what the juries are saying peoples damages are worth—millions and millions! And yet the injured wait and wait. I hear “you should be glad that at least they are settling some. Yes I am happy for those of you who have your settlements and are going on with your lives. I wish you peace and happiness in the new year. But each day my resolve gets a little less. No I will not give into them. But you just wish you had the money to go see the specialist you need to see in another state. Or you wish you had the money for treatment that your insurance wont cover. So we sit and wait. Prisoners with in our own bodies that will not allow us to function normally. Prisoners with in our homes because there is no money to do anything else. Praying for the day that the phone stops ringing from bill collectors threatening us with every thing they can. We have been and are subjected to every day mental and emotional abuse from the bill collectors, AMS, sometimes the doctors and their staff who want to defend mesh and sometimes even our legal teams. The list goes on to mortgage companies and utilities and credit cards and anyone else you owe money including family. All of these people have a right to expect you to pay your bills. But what happens when a 1 – 2 hour surgery goes completely wrong. And you are left with no options. And still I have no options.

I have a question, does anyone have the pamphlet that these companies were suppose to give out when surgery was scheduled? Where in that pamphlet does it tell you any of the issues you faced could happen? IT DOES NOT!!!!!

I have been lied to and deceived and I am sick and tired of this going on and on!! I want to tell the world what happened to me. I want to scream it from every roof top in the world. But I am told I can not. I am told to be patient and wait. For what? My death? I have been told Judge Goodwin is a good man with his heart in the right place. Well Judge Goodwin, you live in my world for a month and lets see how quickly you move things along then. I guarantee damn tee you that if you were me then I would have had my day in court. Even if it comes back to my state I will wait, I am told, another 2-3 years to have a court date. I say if we can’t come to an agreement after the first discussion regarding a settlement then send the damn case back to the state where the injured person lives. That is the only way this whole MESH MESS will ever get momentum. We deserve to be heard! The medical companies are the ones who control everything. Judge Goodwin has no control over any of the companies. If he believes he does then he is only kidding himself!! IF THIS IS NOT TRUE JUDGE GOODWIN THEN LETS GET THIS GOING. As my pastor says get off the pot or poop!!! People, victims, deserve to have answers. We deserve a speedy resolve to our cases via our court system.

It seems common sense would tell these companies that to those of us who have been permanently disabled and who have life long issues caused by mesh and the complications caused by mesh surgeries that they must pay us for those injuries and NOT JUST HOW MANY SURGERIES WE HAVE HAD!!! TO DO OTHERS WISE WOULD BE A CRIME IN IT SELF!!!

I thank God every day for Jane and this site. You have helped me in so many ways I can’t even list them all. Some day I will get my voice back, one way or the other. Some day Jane you will get the appreciation from me and everyone back in some tangible way. For now I hope you know how much you are loved. I pray this year will be the year of the mesh injured and your year. The year justice for all is finally served!!!! I keep praying but sometimes I wonder if he is listening. Lets all hope so.

How incredibly cruel that the most injured must wait the longest….

• Barb says:

ANONYMOUS I hear you loud and clear!! I too am an AMS victum I was told by my law firm that I would recieve my packet in October, November then December!! I also was told my case was complicated because I have 2 defective devices from AMS and they are not sure how to handle this issue!! Well they before settlement talks should of had this all figured out! We should have had our voices heard especially from what I have been told is not being compensated for I know that attorney firms have done their own settlement specifications however what’s been proven and shown in court and even stated by the FDA should be across the board for ALL AMS INJURED! I’m going to email the Florida Law Firm one attorney and demand answere’s!! We should have had the opportunity to recieve a letter after the settlements were made for each category and tier!! I feel the same way as you!!! My patience like many other’s is running very low after having 3 revisions thats going to be included I have to appeal for my most invasive surgery from July 2015!! I want to know how they came up with a figure of pain and suffering, I was told NO infections were going to be compensated although I found court papers filed from 2 other firms in court what is included with their cases it appears to me that these law firms have by so far been the best in getting what there clients deserve!! I will let y’all know what I find out, I HAVE BEEN DEMANDING ANSWERE’S AND NOT GIVING UP UNTIL!! Hang in there my friend we all support and feel the same way…………………..

s

• anonymous says:

Barb Jane knows me and has my email I trust her completely please let me know what you find out cuz I have also been told that I would not be compensated for any of my hospitalizations my infections after surgery or any other complications which are many and that I would only be paid for my surgeries which is completely and utterly unfair I will not accept a settlement that does not include all of that plus permanent disability please let me know what you find out I’m about as desperate as anybody else out there and I really don’t know how much time I have left I can feel my body falling apart day by day and my health going away. Someone please help!

• Barb says:

Anonymous PLEASE HANG IN THERE MY mesh friend!!! I know we all have our days of much frustration, thinking no light at the end of the tunnel, feeling desperate is a horrible thing, I hear you on every issue you mentioned!! I’m feeling even though AMS has decided to settle that they are still in control over our life and best interest of what money WE ALL DESERVE!! I emailed the attorney yesterday however I spoke with someone at my Texas Law Firm they are under the assumption that all infections were going to be included, the number of revisions, the injuries that have been stated and proven in court and what the FDA has even said. I have to appeal surgery #4 as it was done after the deadline. The doctor found a piece of mesh shaped like a fish hook eroded in my uterous again but to risky to just pull it out!! Hopefully this attorney will respond would love a conference call I’m very demanding but in a nice way!!! I will certainly keep you informed with the information that I obtain it seems unfair to keep anyone who has the same manufacturer uncertain at this point!! It sounds like we have the same firm Allystock out of Florida!!! I will keep on them like a fly, till then try the best you can to keep up the good work your strength is much needed!! Be in touch soon my mesh friend smile if not for yourself look in the mirror!

• Bejah Blue says:

Wonderful of you to post this to help others, Anonymous….So sad about how you are feeling and understand it quite well. Thank you for your courage. See ya on the other side. :-{

Bejah

• Bejah Blue says:

Dear Anonymous, We love you. Keep your faith and your sense of humor close to your heart. Your day is coming. The sun will come out again for you. One day this will be only a memory and you will be at peace knowing you never gave up.

Bejah

2. K says:

Jane, hasn’t the Figueroa v. Boston Scientific trial been moved once before? Why would it be delayed? It was supposed to have started last October moved to this January and now moved again to May 2016? This will never come to an end if the trials keep being postponed to future dates. When will it stop!!!! Judges say NO!

3. Don't give up says:

Very well written Anonymous it’s so true your told to say nothing but by saying nothing it just seems that this drags on and on with nothing this has changed so many lives in such an negative way.

How can you say you have a good life when one gets up in the morning or mid morning to face another day of pain just to go from the bed to the couch my wife has been instructed by her Drs that she must walk as she is taking pills on top of other pills on top of insulin on top of other pills for her pain and now high blood pressure high cholesterol low vitamin D levels and the list goes on.

But the thing is why is it that we feel we have to look over our shoulders when My wife needs to go for her walk in cold weather to justify she needs to walk as if she doesn’t she will get much much more sicker due to this crap that was put into her body and poisoned it and had it taken by having revision surgeries and leaving her debilitated.

Having my wife feel like ohh goody is it walkee time for her half hour to forty five minute walk out of the house or should I say her prison sure I try to get her out as much as she can handle maybe to go to the stores or what ever she misses the simple things in life.

This has taken its tole on her mentally and obviously physically too over the years of waiting and waiting being told to be patient,and not really knowing what’s going on just bits and pieces here and there from asking her lawyer as he says I’m not in liberty to say right now enough is enough this has to end.

• Bejah Blue says:

Dear DGU, She needs to walk to try to keep her bones strong and healthy. For too long I did not really understand all that one’s bones do. I did not know that is where our blood is made. If she does not walk her bones will weaken for one thing. Her circulation will be affected. Maybe you can get her a piece of exercize equipment, a stationery bicycle, a treadmill, or something. My spine doctor told me to get a recombenant (sp?) bicycle because it does not put weight or pressure on any particular part of the body…important. Another wonderful thing to do is swim. If you have a pool or a gym with a pool take her to swim…it will be hard at first but she can use a float and fins and swim on her back and eventually it will get easier and easier. I know because I did it. It also releases massive amounts of endorphines and makes your psyche feel lighter, allows you to feel some happiness. After a few hours it fades but it is wonderful all things considered. If you can afford to I would even have a pool put in. I used to have my own pool and loved it. I took care of the maintenance myself. It is not hard to do or learn. Praying for you. I will light a candle for her at church Sunday. Actually, every Sunday I light a candle for our whole community. Bless you for taking care of her…I know it is so hard and so heartbreaking.

Bejah

4. kitty says:

YOU ARE OUR VOICE ANONOMOUS—I just woke up and read your post–And cried. You are soffering– and I’m wondering –“why isn’t your attorney dealing with this?” I hear the ads on TV–“I was hurt in a car accident and I got $850,000.” (Famous local attorney). Where are they for us? We have Jane– and that is all for now

5. anonymous says:

dear dont give up. I understand very well about your wife. My doctors also tell me to get moving while they give me the strongest pain medicine a person can take. These of course cause dizziness and nausea and so it makes doing much of anything tough. Now that winter has come I can’t even open the windows and listen to the birds or sit in the sun. I try not to think of mesh or pain but how can you not when it is with you every minute of every day. How can you not when you are waiting to find the funds to go out of state to a doctor that might help you more.

What really gets me is that we are suppose to pay our attorneys 33% and I have heard all the way up to 40% for taking our cases. So come on lawyers! That’s a lot of money to do little or nothing. That’s a lot of money to just wait for the medical companies to make all the decisions! Depending on the settlement amounts that could be thousands and thousands of dollars. Is it to much to expect you to work hard for the women who have been maimed by these insidious products! I ask you again what if it was you who had this put into your body and you who was so deceived into believing everything would be wonderful after the surgery. What if it was you who had to live in hell each day. I bet you my life you would be working harder to make sure you were compensated for what you had to go through. You make sure you get your money from our settlements and that is fine, if you earn it. Put your self our place for a while. I sure your outlook would be much different.

Tell your attorney (hopefully you have one) dont give up that you are paying them to work for you not for the medical companies. Its time we had answers and great settlements so life holds some hope for us again. I wish you and your wife the best of luck.

• Barb says:

I wanted to also comment on these so called pamplets I WAS NEVER GIVEN ONE!! I would love to challenge AMS to send me one truth be told from my feelings there were not pamplets, no notice, no information on the dangers of these products!! Another cover up!! I have also mentioned that in my email to the attorney!!

• Bejah Blue says:

I was never given one, never saw one, never even saw any literature of any kind (Ethicon Prolift) implanted at UCLA by Ha-Jong Kim who should have her licence revoked.

Bejah

6. Don't give up says:

Thank you Anonymous from my wife and myself for your kind words,

Like you the medications my wife does take and I should say needs to take are very high doses mostly narcotic prescription’s which isn’t good for anyone to take for long term as there not healthy for the kidneys liver etc.From a woman who never hardly went to Drs never hardly took medication’s as she was always healthy to this it’s been six years now since this all started it has turned her life upside down inside out.

To so many people who view persons who have had problems with mesh implants and revision surgeries see a person as looking normal as pain doesn’t have a face and your injuries are internal but those who know A person who is suffering from mesh can see the face of pain,and know and feel what the person is going through as it is very real.

It’s so scary as you just don’t know what is going to happen next with all of this autoimmune crap going on in her body I’m scared every time we go for her test results thinking something else has gone wrong or now she has Lupis or some other horrible disease from this, on top of all the pain she goes through day to day hour to hour just like so many others with mesh problems just like yourself to.

My poor wife is so tired as I am too I want this to end so my wife doesn’t have to be stressed out and she doesn’t have to worry no more so she can finally rest knowing she’s been looked after and justice has been done.

Also my wife and myself would like to thank Jane to for all of her hard work and for not giving up on everybody who has been effected by mesh.

• Eir wives.Still Standing says:

What an unbelievable narrative from a husband. I can just feel the compassion you have for her, the love in your words. Your wife is so blessed to have you for support. Many husbands just havent been able to “be there” for their wives. It warmed my heart, yet saddened me at the same time to read your words and feel your frustration and the emotional pain you are experiencing. I will hold you and your wife in my heart. Thank you for such a poingnant reminder that the mesh impacts so many more people than just the woman who has it.

• Don't give up says:

Still Standing hmmm I don’t know what to say just that I’m just trying to be a husband when we took our vows when married it was for better or for worse,and I just can’t see it any other way my wife is sick,and she deserves better thank you your comment it was touching to read.

• Bejah Blue says:

SS, Lovely sentiment…I second that! God bless this good husband and give him the strength he needs, surround him with golden light and protect him from sorrow and dismay.

To all good husbands everywhere,

Bejah

7. Vivian says:

I only wanted something to help me since my bladder was protruding out of my vaginia but what I got was we will fix you right up with a surgery which was so painfull my thighs were swollen and bruised to my knees had to wear a Cather for five days abstain ate from sexual intercourse for eight weeks only to find in a few months my bladder was protruding again and I was waking up soaking wet without control of my bladder at times .. My husband did not understand what I was going through why I was avoiding sex after forty three years of marriage . Then something started hurting me and my husband when we hadintercourse his penis would swell up and he said something is hurting me I didn’t know what and I was having pain in my pelvic area severe at times radiating up my abdomen . I finally after a long time I tried to feel and see what it was and felt Avery sharp object up in my pelvic area and it was poking my bladder and causing severe pain . I had to go back have another surgery to have this removed why is this breaking and migrating in my body what else is it going to do? This mesh has caused so much friction in my marriage I don’t think it will ever be resolved I still have pain difficulty urinating and bleeding upon intercourse . This has been a life changing procedure . I feel hopeless can anyone give advice or let me know if they have had these problems. Why did I ever try this product I have had nothing but grief and pain.