Welcome to Mesh News Desk

Fall leaves

Fall leaves

Mesh Medical Device News Desk, November 1, 2016 ~ Welcome to Mesh Medical Device News Desk, your website for news and updates on pelvic and hernia mesh, its implications, complications and outcomes, both medically and legally.

If you are new to the mesh mess, welcome!  Mesh News Desk (MND) aka MMDND has been covering this issue for five years now.

We are not beholden to any influences here, just coverage that is in the public interest. Advertisers or sponsors are clearly labeled. Advertisers are welcome. I look forward to receiving any essays by you all – doctors, lawyers, mesh-injured, observers of this dark chapter in  medical product innovation.

This website should not be considered medical advice. Nor should it substitute for any legal advice from professionals. Many readers turn here however because they say their law firms are not talking to them!

Please use the Search Bar to look up any stories from the archives!

As you may know, there were so many pelvic mesh cases that multidistrict litigation was formed (MDL) in January 2012 to handle all of the cases. The theory was that lower court rulings would be more consistent and that attorneys could share work product and not have to reinvent the wheel to prepare a case for trial.

For a while bellwether cases were heard against four main manufacturers – Boston Scientific, Ethicon (J&J), AMS and C.R. Bard – but then they stopped.  Mesh makers slowly offered settlement, most insufficient for those patients who will need long-term care.

Now Judge Joseph Goodwin, overseeing the MDL, has given firm deadlines to ready the oldest cases (Wave 4) sitting on the Ethicon docket to make them trial ready.  Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas has 163 cases ready to go to trial beginning in December, most naming J&J.

All of this is to say that the great lapse between trials may soon close.

As of today – there are 97,293 product liability lawsuits filed in Judge Goodwin’s court alone. The MDL never imagined this could happen as it’s never happened before!

If you have experienced an autoimmune disorder SINCE YOUR IMPLANT, University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) researchers would like to hear from you.  Please feel free to enter your information in this registry.

As researchers are looking into the thousands of anecdotal reports of autoimmune and systemic reactions whether it be fibromyalgia, joint pain, Lupus, rashes, hair falling out, teeth falling out, the list goes on, but the symptoms reported are remarkably similar.

If you have hernia mesh, it is made of the same polypropylene and some law firms are starting to take these cases seriously.  Stay tuned as MND plans more on the latest hernia mesh litigation efforts.

Stay well and learn from each other.  Lawyers – call your clients!  Or you could run a PR release through Mesh News so many could have the benefit of seeing it at the same time.

Please feel free to share you experience on these pages. You can write anonymously.akre-1-300

Stay well friends,

Jane Akre, Editor

MND

1. alex says:

Any word on ethicon settlements

2. Jenny says:

The judge in the Ethicon trials needs to push really hard for settlement. I’ve been dealing with this since 2012. I had to have the device removed & still suffer from constant pain. I have to go back for additional surgeries as well. My Urologist was unable to remove the plastic triangle support for the sling during the surgery. Now I must endure an 3rd surgery to remove that. This getting to be ridiculous. My lawyer almost refuses to answer any questions & yet I know will attempt to take a large portion of whatever settlement is offered when very little work has been done on their part. Even when my sling was removed, I had to make sure the doctor sent it to them. This is crazy!!! Settle already!

3. Deborah says:

This situation really bothers me because I didn’t know I had another choice. Sex become painful, embarrassing because you cut your partner during intercourse. When I checked myself to see what he was talking about, it felt like a wire screen that broke and the wires are frayed. So embarrassed and humiliated. Even after removal sex is painful and uncomfortable. I cry often. I can’t believe my luck. This is our body and if a company offers a item to assist you however does not provide you clear understanding of other choices or more importantly don’t offer a product that could fall apart and puncture, raw out your vagina wall. I am so angry, hurt and embarrassed. It don’t go away because I still am.not able to have intercourse comfortability w my husband and this Johnson and Johnson Ethicon won’t do the right thing!! I will no longer by JJ product because of their handling. My friend s and family have opted to do the same. Hello Honest products.

4. jan says:

I gave been injured since 06.. filed in 09 they transferred my case in 2010 to Florida attorneys they filled in west Virginia in 12.. I am with boston scientific all I heard from my attorneys office in the last 6mos I phoned them to update medical is all records have to be in by the end if the year. Settlements offers will be going out by the end of the year..
    I phoned this morning regarding a medical update added about time line on my medical to ensure I do what I should. .
    Was informed that still in negotiations and keep sending my medical no cut off date..
    I advised her what I have been told she stated that was wrong information. . This office gives false hopes to there clients it’s sad..
    Basically she stated would not be anytime soon on settlements. .this office is very very messed up

5. Lynn j says:

Have any AMS settlement monies been received by motley rice clients yet?

6. Deborah J says:

Hello, seems like I have lived 95 years since my first implant in 2008, I’ve had 3 surgeries since then and have felt well – not even for one day – since then. I do try to keep up with current news but it’s getting harder and harder to keep positive. My marriage of 20+ years is falling apart because we can’t have sex and I can’t work to help with our bills (not sure which fact bothers my husband more). We live in an older model mobile home with a leaking roof, flooring getting too soft to walk on without fear of falling through and mold in my kitchen and laundry room that I’m allergic to. All I can do is try not to eat much, use too much electricity and not complain too much to my husband. I know my case is “fluid” according to my lawyers, that doesn’t give much hope to help buy groceries. I do read posts from others with symptoms similar to mine and try to absorb your positive thoughts and I do persistently pray that a settlement will be forthcoming…in time to save my marriage? Don’t know…please keep discussing issues as I do learn something new frequently and feel something akin to hope occasionally. Thank you, Jane, for all your kind words, they are heard, are appreciated.

Which manufacturer do you have Deborah? Does your law firm stay in touch with you? I’m so sorry!!!

• Deborah J says:

Both Bard and Boston Scientific, attorneys office will no longer return my calls regarding status, stating there is no change. I’m 3/4 of the way through physical therapy in an attempt to build strength and endurance while not causing further injury. Result so far is more pain and more restriction in pelvic region. Tried to hold a part-time sales position…can’t. Sad end to my 35 years in administrative/clerical field. Thanks so much for “listening”! God bless!

I’m so sorry… Most people want to work and be productive, make their own money, interact with a “team”….. sadly none of this is being compensated..again, I’m sorry.

• Deborah J says:

No offense but I’m far beyond wanting to feel productive and part of a team… my not working causes my husband to provide food, electricity and other necessities of life…his pay check does not provide all our needs. Just like many other ladies that are suffering 24/7, adding financial stress on top of constant physical pain and emotional stress is overwhelming. My heart hurts from this struggle, my heart hurts from watching my 20 Year marriage crumble…my heart hurts knowing there are thousands of other women hurting along with me, seems I’m reading of more and more that die waiting….always waiting!

• Terri says:

Deborah, I to am a mesh implant who has had four surgeries but I want to talk that you about your mobile. My mother lived in a mobile home that needed some repairs and we were able to get a grant from the city for approximately $6000 to be used for repairs. It was fairly easy to apply and then if approved, the city will give you a list of approved contractors to use. The money fixed her roof, air conditioning and windows. I know a lot of cities offer this so it is well worth making a call to your city hall. Hope this helps

7. Deborah J says:

Meant to say haven’t felt well for even one day…I hate prompted words on my tablet.

8. Deborah says:

Is there any info on when payout will be made on Boston Scientific settlement? Seems I’ve been waiting forever! Had mesh implanted in 08. I’ve had 2 surgeries since to remove & repair.