Welcome April Readers to Mesh News Desk

mesh title smallWelcome to Mesh Medical Device News Desk, aka Mesh News Desk

Mesh News Desk, April 2016 ~ Welcome to Mesh News Desk (MND), also known as Mesh Medical Device News Desk where we following the goings on of the largely unregulated medical device industry and its fallout on the public.

If you are new to the mesh mess you have come to the right place.

There are about 100,000 lawsuits currently filed in the U.S. to address the injuries that come from pelvic mesh.  More are filed every day, not just in the U.S. but globally.  Despite the product liability litigation, mesh is still used every day.  Women are told “It’s different mesh.”  It isn’t.

See the story “Top 10 Myths Women are Told Today about Pelvic Mesh” here

Most mesh for pelvic and hernia is made of polypropylene, a polymer from the petroleum industry, is small pore and subject to shrinkage and, in some, inciting a systemic reaction. This in combination to the mechanics of a hard polymer permanently implanted in a soft, nerve-rich pelvic area during a blind procedure, often by under-trained professionals, and there is a huge potential for complications.

Hernia mesh is also made of the same polypropylene and anecdotal reports, as well as those gathered by scientists who deal with complications, show they too are having complications after their implant.

Then again, some folks do fine, least in the short run.  At the present time, there is no way of telling which you are – there are no tests and no attempt to identify who will have an “adverse event” as it called.

If you assume the U.S. Food and Drug Administration is watching over you in terms of medical devices, please be aware, the agency relies on the integrity of the industries it regulates to be vigilant and assure safety and efficacy when it comes to clearing the majority of medical devices for market.  What we are observing from the defective product trials over pelvic mesh, many of which have been found defective but remain on the market, this is in desperate need of a major shift in thinking.  Companies have been shown to clearly put profits ahead of patients.

There is a reason juries have listened to the stories of cover-ups, missteps, and outright fraud and awarded millions in punitive damages to mesh injured patients.

The FDA has issued two reports about pelvic mesh, the first, in 2008, after thousands of reports of complications came into the agency, said pelvic mesh complications were “rare.”   By mid-2011 the FDA reversed that stance and said complications were “not rare.”

Listen to Project Censored interview your editor recently.  They asked very good questions. Listen here.   The FDA White Paper on mesh from July 2011 is here.

If you are told you need polypropylene mesh to correct prolapse or incontinence, you will need to direct your own medical care and be a truly informed consumer. We hope these pages help you toward that goal. Unless and until one can predict who will react negatively, the Precautionary Principle is advised.

These pages will attest to that.

Jane Akre, editor Mesh News Desk

Jane Akre, editor Mesh News Desk

If you are to be subjected to any medical device that has received FDA “clearance” (cleared not approved under the 510(k)) please be wary and ask questions.

Cleared for sale (510(k) ) is not the same things as premarket approval which requires reaching a higher bar of safety.

New Design

Mesh News Desk has a new design on the website.  Adding advertiser, Sundown Marketing and David Moyers will help those of you new to the issues find an attorney.

Greg Vigna, MD and JD is dedicated to addressing mesh injuries and will help you create a life plan for your ongoing medical needs.

As always, MND is not a substitute for advice from your medical and legal professionals.

Onward Friends!

Jane Akre, Editor, Mesh News Desk

Please sign up for the Mesh Newsletter to keep you up on the latest here.

1. sandybeach says:

I am one of the 2to3 thousand women J&J has agreed to settle for an undisclosed amount We received our letters December 7th2015. As we wait for the settlement package,which details the settlement terms,I am informed today,the special master in chancery,what ever that is,has not yet even been appointed.This whole process could take up to 18 months to resolve in their estimation . We are into our 5th month,and not one thing has be accomplished.They said in the coming months we would receive our letters.The coming months have come and gone in my estimation. I feel we have been given a pacifier in this waiting game.my concern is,are they waiting for us all to die? This was supposed to speed all this up . Is this common practice? Now you have the scoop on the poop.

I hear this all the time, about the AMS settlements. Lawyers promised them months ago and women are just waiting, some without food in the refrigerator! Law firms keep your clients updated!

• Bejah says:

I just want to make sure that we all know that we can go to the community centers, churches, Senior Centers in our townships for assistance with food if and when we need it, as well as payment for heating, propane, electricity, etc. on a case by case basis usually through some variation of adult support services. One need not be an elder, or have children in the home. Remember people, “Pride goeth before a fall”. If you need help ask for it. No one is going to judge you and you need not wear a paper bag over your head. I have done it from time to time.

Bejah

• K says:

Again Judge Goodwin could stop this!!! Put the pressure on Judge Goodwin!!!! STOP this craziness!! Pull out plugs and get this moving!!!

• Bejah says:

We should all watch the video “Hot Coffee” if we have not (Jane is it the name of the video or the name of the program, not sure). The topic of this program is TORT Reform. I mention it now because in the program it mentions how big pharma, the AMA and other enemies of the people pushed to control judges who would find against any plaintiff who might receive a large judgement in a case before them. Assuming this is true what does it suggest about Judge Goodwin?

Bejah

There is no evidence Judge Goodwin is doing any favors for defendant companies so I would resist thinking that……..

• jan says:

I really believe that judge goodwin would never play sides. ..
            We all want this over including judge goodwin. . He has to follow the system. It’s hard because we are I the same place know where. .I blame it all on the manufacturers holding instead of doing right.
            If they would stop and consider the amount of money they are throwing away when it could help them settle these cases with a great outcome. .
            They are spending billions this is sad
            GO GET THEM JUDGE GOODWIN
            THEY NEED TO STOP DRAGGING THERE HEELS

• Emmie says:

May I ask you what mesh implants did you have and when?

I hear nothing from my lawyer or J&J My case (filed 2012) is in the state of New Jersey. I had three mesh implants…Prolift, TVT-S and the TVT-O. (2006 and 2007)
      I am on SSD and miserable. I would like to return to work but I cannot because of my chronic pain.

• Bejah says:

Disgusted I am but not at all surprised. This conduct is punishing the victims even more. Clearly legislation to establish an end date by which payments to those receiving settlements must be distributed is needed. We can not depend on anyone, any organization to do the honorable and just thing. Such is the time in which we live.

Bejah

2. Jamie says:

Thank you Jane finally I hear this about AMS it is disgusting how I have been told this about the letter of disclosure and the awards letter that I was suppose to get as well,that was Nov 2015. I was told that in june about November? Now I see all these cases that are being paid attention too & I saw AMS in the headline but no where in the whole article was mentioned about any settlements for AMS which was one of the first ones to settle ??? where is this money !!!
    Mesh News Desk, April 4, 2016 ~ Pace of Trials Naming J&J Increasesethicon two

This week lawyers and representatives from mesh making companies are expected to gather in Charleston, WV for another status conference, April 6 and 7th. Judge Joseph Goodwin, who is overseeing the mass tort cases filed in his court will oversee the update. See Pretrial Order #213.

Making an appearance are representative attorneys and corporate reps from Sofradim, Bard, Boston Scientific, Ethicon, AMS, Coloplast and Cook.

As he has before, Judge Goodwin is asking the defendant client representative with “full authority to make all decisions related to MDL 2327 ( Ethicon) be present along with in house counsel for defendant and settlement counsel for the defendant and lead plaintiff counsel.

Judge Goodwin is assured that the company is hearing directly from the court and not an inaccurate or rosy picture painted by defendant law firms who stand to benefit from protracted litigation, in other words, may stand in conflict with the concept of moving things through the court.

Federal courthouse, Charleston, WV
    Federal courthouse, Charleston, WV
    THIS IS WHAT I DID NOT WANT TO SEE ! SO TIRED OF WAITING like jane said lawyers of AMS CLIENTS get this done already your transparency is humilating to say the least no iformation keeps us in the dark Now I’m having Kidney & intestine blockage from this thing in bedding into my BLADDER I’m loosing my bladder control & my intestines are sufficated by this causing UTI glass shards through my uretha and next it will be sepsis & I will be dead Hurry up and wait !!!!

3. Tina says:

The waiting for this huge issue to be resolved goes beyond ridiculous! I email my attorney in Texas (I’m in CA) and I never get anything except; “we’re still waiting”. I have to get updates on this site or the official court one in West Virginia. My mesh was AMS Spard. I wish Judge Goodwin would make the companies just pay up and shut up! Frustrating!

4. sandybrown says:

How do I put pressure on Judge Goodwin

5. Brad Levering says:

Is there not any oversight over this process? Extreme delays, half-truths, finger-pointing, posturing, and procrastination abounds! Judge Goodwin acts as is he is accountable to the mega-corporations, not the suffering women. My wife has been a part of this lawsuit (J&J) for over 6 years, and it seems like things are slowing down, not accelerating at this point. We need accountability, and we are not getting it.

There is only so much any judge can do if defendant companies refuse to offer a settlement… he cannot force them to do so, though he can encourage them, which he’s done. It’s really amazing how arrogant these companies can be. Only bad publicity seems to bother them, but most women have been told to keep quiet. Sort of giving a pass to wrongdoers in my opinion…

6. K. Doro says:

Can a Dr. put Mesh over Mesh to repair a failed implant or return of prolapse?