The Role of Bacterial Biofilms in Pelvic Mesh Slings for Incontinence

Biofilm, UC Berkeley

Biofilm, UC Berkley

MND, June 24, 2015 ~

According to ongoing research, bacterial biofilms are being studied for their role in inciting an autoimmune response in patients implanted with polypropylene mesh used to treat incontinence.

It’s long been noted that a mesh implant can cause pain, infection, organ perforation, nerve entrapment and vaginal scarring. Systemic symptoms have been noted as well and include muscle pain, arthritis, sinusitis, asthma, chronic fatigue, cognitive impairment and skin conditions.

As part of the latest ongoing research from UCLA, mesh explant segments showed chronic inflammation surrounded by bacterial colonies which were not found in patients who only suffered from mesh obstruction. That research is not yet published. Mesh News Desk will report on the findings when they become available.

One theory is that a transvaginal placement (through the vagina) of pelvic mesh leads to unavoidable contamination that may result in bacterial biofilms on the mesh in susceptible individuals. Biofilms provide a protective mechanism and can protect the bacterial colony from antibiotics. Over time, its subclinical infection may override the body’s immune system leading to long-term reaction to the pelvic and hernia mesh implant.

Biofilm formation is common on most polymeric materials and it thrives in high humidity.

Research conducted at U.C. Berkeley two years ago, used a super-resolution light microscopy to see the bacterial colonies and their protective biofilm coating. See the story here.

Montana State and Stanford University are among the schools who have biofilm centers studying this scientific phenomenon that has been emerging over the last two decades. The University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) is focusing their studies on the occurrence of biofilms on mesh explants.

Using a new medical implant material and avoiding the transvaginal approach may minimize the risk of systemic symptoms. Unfortunately, the bulk of the 100,000 defective product lawsuits filed against seven mesh manufacturers resulted from the use of the transvaginal approach to implant a petroleum-based mesh product.

Biomaterials Access Assurance Act and Immunity for Suppliers

The Biomaterials Access Assurance Act of 1998 (BAAA) provides protections for biomaterial suppliers of implanted medical devices from product liability litigation filed in civil suits.  Ironically, petroleum-based products are referred to as biomaterials and they include Dacron, Polytetrafluorethylene (Teflon) and Polypropylene.

Common law protected biomaterials suppliers (Phillips Sumika, for example) from product liability lawsuits prior to BAAA but in 1998, Congress determined the industry warranted special protections because of the potential of the multi-billion dollar market.

There is an effort underway to repeal the Biomaterials Access Assurance Act of 1998. It would hold any supplier of raw material such as liable if they knowingly supply said materials to a medical device company to manufacture an implantable medical device, unless it is necessary to save lives. See the Mesh News Desk story here.

The biomaterials market reportedly flourished after the BAAA and was predicted to be $58 billion in 2014.

But don’t look to the material supplier to assure its polymers are safe to be used in the human body.

From McDermott Law: “By performing additional testing on the product, however, biomaterials suppliers may paradoxically find themselves assuming greater legal risk, since a court could find a duty on the suppliers’ part to perform additional testing, provide more extensive disclosure or even withdraw products to avoid liability for the negligent performance of an undertaking.”

LEARN MORE:

Read more on the BAAA petition here:

FDA: Implementation of the Biomaterials Access Assurance Act of 1998 here

White Paper: Assessing Protections for Biomaterials Suppliers 12 Years After the Biomaterials Access Assurance Act, November 18, 2010, McDermott Will & Emery    here

Prevention of Biofilm Associated Infections and Degradation of Polymeric Materials used in Biomedical Applications, Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden,  Biomedical Engineering, Trends in Materials Science, January, 2011,   here

Mesh News Desk, September 22, 2013,  Biofilm Protects Bacteria and Causes Chronic Infection  here

The Science behind Biomaterials in Female Stress Urinary Incontinence Surgery, Jan. 2009, The Scientific World Journal

An Introduction to Microbial Biofilms May 2015, BFK Solutions LLC   here

Scripps Research Institute on Biofilms and Colon Cancer May 2015    here

1. jbroken says:

Someone explain what this means. I’m reading it But feel they protected themselves knowing it. Maybe I’m wrong. Legal stuff confusing.

Basically, biofilms protect bacterial colonies. Bacteria gets in mesh when its introduced through the vagina. And you can thank Congress for acting as the lobbying arm of the petrochemical industry, ensuring they are protected from any lawsuits if their raw material is used to make implantable medical devices.

• Bejah B says:

My, that is a cozy little relationship. Anyone in particular in Congress we need to thank for that?

2. Bejah B says:

Hi Jane, This is a very interesting field of research and it reminds me again that we are still really only at the beginning of learning about all of this, not just as citizens of the world but the medical community as well.

If my memory serves me well, our friend Dr. Michael Margolis in the Bay area talked about this problem you mention in the paragraph of your article below…that is placement through the vagina invites the problem of bacterial infection. If you agree we should credit our dear friend appropriately, unless of course it is common knowledge! Love you Dr. Margolis…a heroic figure in my view.

One theory is that a transvaginal placement (through the vagina) of pelvic mesh leads to unavoidable contamination that may result in bacterial biofilms on the mesh in susceptible individuals. Biofilms provide a protective mechanism and can protect the bacterial colony from antibiotics. Over time, its subclinical infection may override the body’s immune system leading to long-term reaction to the mesh implant.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

This supports the advisory that we shore up our immune systems and learn as much about this as we can. The material can be very esoteric and so hard to get through (read) but what I find is that I can gain enough to make it worthwhile.

Those physicians doing pure research are at the front lines where our personal physicians are not. We have countless stories of how many of them run and hide when we say “mesh”. Of course men have always feared vaginas going back into pre-history and the cultural, political and economic history of nations is rich with expressions in deed and word of this fear sometimes expressed overtly, and sometimes in a more…let’s call it a passive agressive way. Needless to say, we as women are not unfamiliar with this fear which often translates into violence against women. With this in mind I say to those who demean, rape, torture and violate women, may your sperm shrivel up and die so that no more men with such impulses will populate the earth and polute the gene pool.

Bejah

You are right, Dr. Margolis has been warning about this for a long time.

• Bejah B says:

Thanks Jane, You know I still owe him $50 and he has never asked me for it. I will never forget and will repay him as soon as I can. He has testified on our community’s behalf as well…I do not recall how many times, and several years ago he testified before the useless FDA as well as I recall. I suppose his testimony was as an expert witness but still in a matter like this it takes some degree of courage and conviction I think.

3. K says:

Jane, I thought it was know that polypropylene should not be implanted in the human body and manufacturers of the resin made it clear it should not be used for permanent implantation in a body. The resin manufacturers can not control the medical device companies action after they purchase the product such as the case with CR Bard and Phillips. I am confused I guess I don’t get why Phillips would be held accountable when they gave the warning and CR Bard created a fake company. Maybe I am not understanding this. Ultimately the medical device company is responsible if they provided the Material Safety Data Sheet. As I said yesterday, the warning in the packaging of the device says it all “Recommended storage conditions for the should be below 77F, away from moisture and direct heat and do not use after expiry date. How is this not enough evidence in these cases. Have the lawyers used the storage warning during trials? Why is the FDA, doctors and the defendants fighting this? It is so cruel and inhumane! Stop this madness and let these women get some help. I do not believe anyone saw the recommended storage that come with the product. This was not an oversight the storage recommendation says it all in my opinion. The manufacture placed the recommendation in each box and knew exactly what it said and meant. And….not one doctor read the recommended storage conditions?

Not sure about this other than to store the dry product those were the ideal conditions….. on many fronts, no one thought ahead about the implications of plastic implants in an active female body. DUH! Almost as if they didn’t care…..

4. Stopmeshimplants says:

Every time I read about mesh and more issues I am nauseated. This is excellent information and it is important for all of us to know. Still makes me sick to think about all the harmful side effects from our mesh implants. I will never understand how no other journalist, besides Jane, will investigate and report the truth about these devastating mesh products. Is it really that no one wants to hear or read about women’s vaginas or is it that these pharmaceutical companies are all that rich and powerful?

5. Bejah B says:

One more thing occurs to me about this biofilm development…are we to sort out hernia mesh from transvaginal mesh since you have not mentioned hernia mesh here? The gentlemen in our community would probably appreciate a comment about that. Also, I would be interested in knowing who is conducting this research at UCLA. Thanks Jane.

Bejah

Departments of Urology, Ob/Gyn and School of Dentistry… all together.

• Bejah B says:

Really, thanks Jane. I take special note of the School of Dentistry. Do you know more about that connection? I ask on behalf who seem to be having serious dental problems post implant, perhaps as the degration process continues. Thanks.

6. Donald Rainey says:

So in other words the ( FDA) is just standing there letting the (mesh makers) point a loaded gun at heads of over 70,000 women with the full intent to kill. The ones we put there to protect are standing there aside the ones with the loaded gun. Paid to look the other way or part of of the system to lower the population.

• Bejah B says:

Sounds like an apt interpretation to me Donald. I think we are nothing but worker bees and whatever discretionary income we may have after we pay our bills we are encouraged not to save but to spend or if we are part of what is left of the middle class…invest. Most people in their 20’s do not yet get it but they will soon enough, and probably too late for many. Enjoy your day as best you can.

7. Suzanne McClain says:

This is an incredibly powerful article, and I am taking it to my next doctor’s appointment. I am fortunate in that I have a general practitioner that is very receptive to learning all about this, in order to garner an understanding of what is going on with me. I myself didn’t know of Biofilms, and I still don’t have a complete understanding of them, but this article clarifies things significantly. If I understand correctly, Biofilms are created within the body by the polypropylene itself in order to protect the bacterial colonies that developed because it was transvaginally placed, and exposed to higher levels of humidity, which in turn allows the bacteria to grow. Even when the mesh is totally removed, the potential remains for this bacterial colony, (i.e. Toxins) to remain in the body causing Systemic symptoms and perhaps autoimmune diseases to develop in the person who has been implanted with polypropylene.

Jane, do you know how long the research at UCLA has been going on? You said the U.C. Berkeley research has been going on for two years, but didn’t specifically say about UCLA. I ask because it was nearly two years ago when Dr. Raz explanted my mesh; and a year ago since he made the autologous repairs using my biological (native) tissues. It was after this second surgery with him, and because of my ongoing symptoms, that I had a discussion with Dr. Raz, and he addressed one of my questions by explaining about the issue of residual toxins. I am thankful that he was open and honest with me, and explained this in a very clear and concise manner. I specifically asked him if the toxins would filter out of my body after seven years; the length of time it takes the body to completely filter the blood? His response to me was, “no, the toxins infiltrate the organs, and they will never go away.”

This article, the research, and Dr, Raz’s response to me substantiate the fact that even though mesh may be fully explanted, women may be/are susceptible to autoimmune diseases like Lupus or Fibromyalgia, in addition the Systemic symptoms you addressed early on in this article.

I seem to recall reading an article, perhaps here, in which the statement was made that one of the suppliers of the polypropylene material told at least one manufacturer that polypropylene was unsafe to use in the human body; and that this manufacturer, in response to this knowledge set up a separate subsidiary in order to purchase this material, which was then used by the parent company in order to make mesh implants. Am I remembering that correctly? If so, kudos to the supplier for enlightening this manufacturer on the danger, and shame on the manufacturer for the underhanded way in which they devised to keep their mesh supply plentiful. This further shows their culpability in regards to the injuries sustained by women implanted with their products. That being said, I am thankful for the efforts to repeal the Biomaterials Access Assurance Act of 1998. Perhaps, if this law had been repealed years ago, the suppliers would have been much more vociferous, and this action could have saved countless people from being implanted with polypropylene.

Thank you Jane, for this very informative article and for expounding on the analogy of Dr. Michael Margolis in the area of Biofilms and bacterial infections, as they pertain to the implantation of polypropylene material, otherwise known as surgical mesh.

I don’t know how long, at least a year I believe…. they are not ready to publish but if you google Biofilm, there is a wealth of info out there…. It makes sense that bacteria wants a protective coating in order to survive.

8. Emily says:

I waa just diagnosed with Frozen Pelvis…wonder if it might be a related conition to this immune reaction.

• Mary Pat says:

Can you explain what frozen pelvis is? My tissue feels like it is turning into cement? I’m wondering if it is frozen?

• Anonymous says:

Mary Pat wrote

June 25, 2015 at 7:33 pm

I have never heard of frozen pelvis but I can tell you part of my treatment after mesh removal surgeries I was STILL in chronic pain. I had steroid injections into the area at two points right below the bikini cut line (scar) I also had injections another gyno tried steroid injections IN and UP IN MY VAGINAL CANAL directly into the pelvic floor muscle. It was the most painful thing I have ever endured.

I also went to a chinese medicine (insurance paid for believe it or not) physical therapist. Her specialty is the pelvic floor. She helped. She taught me to KNEAD my lower pelvic area skin. It felt like hard cement in my lower pelvic region. The round hard bubbly things all go away. It is best for another person (PT) to do this kneading but you can if you must. A lot of it is scar tissue from surgical wounds there but the round hard things were created from the damned mesh.

• Bejah B says:

You poor dear, What in the name of GOD is that! I must go read about it. Talk to us. Don’t be alone.

9. Mary says:

WOW….I am overwhelmed with all that you do Jane. You are a mighty woman with great courage. I thank God for your determination and drive you give us all a reason to fight. I PRAY YOUR STRENGTH AND THAT GOD ENCAMP ANGELS OF PROTECTION BY YOUR SIDE

Miracles and Blessings

10. Bejah B says:

I just learned it is too late for me to file a MEDMAL against the implanting physician or medical center. The statute is one year or three years from the time you realized….that would have been 2014. I have that wind taken out of my sails, punched in the gut feeling and drinking probably too much Sangria. My little voice tells me “This too shall pass” but does it mean the legal matter or me..surely I will pass and probably sooner rather than later. Today I will feel sorry for myself. Tomorrow I will do something else.

Bejah

If it’s any consolation, med mals are very tough to win….

• Bejah B says:

Thanks Jane, I will fall back on the belief that things may sometimes happen for a reason. This morning I went up in the hills to go rock hunting. Did you know the San Bernadino Mts in CA are extremely old and the rocks even older…there are so many that seem like jewels, so many colors, many crystalline ones. It is a very peaceful thing to do and I got a lot of wonderful stones.

• Anonymous says:

Bejah,

In the beginning of this mess 5 years ago I asked about medmal along with the prodect defect suit. It is so hard to prove.

Years later the same TVT mesh is STILL going into others. So, my original inplant mesh surgeon now knows damned well it is not the gold standard as he told me.

The real story in this entire nightmare is the doctors are still putting this in. They don’t care about the well being of the patient obviosly. But WHY, why, are they still pimping this TVT mesh?

11. Lana Keeton says:

Suzanne, FYI, your doc, Speights, is/was a paid medical consultant to Ethicon/J&J. Best, Lana

12. Anonymous says:

Shorly after Gynecare TVT mesh implant. Along with pain in the lower pelvic region that an IV of morphine in an ER could not take away. I also had a fever , fatigue, felt SO SICK. They did a vaginal test swab thing and the gyn said I had two infections at the same time which was impossible. Vaginosis and another one. The antibiotic Flagyl corrected it but it never really went away. On top of all of the chronic pelvic pain shooting down my left leg and back. ( Muscular AND nerve) I had the weird bacterial infection as well as a stage of UNREAL yeast infection problems. I have ZERO doubt this was all caused from the Mesh.

I am also suffering now from acute sinusitus CONSTANTLY. Sudden High blood pressure and the sickening weight gain. My pelvic area is so inflamed even 5 years after surgeries of Mesh removal it has spread to my stomach area and it is not just fat from being inactive.

The only thing that saved me in the past was renew life product/ CLEANSES which are now suddenly sold in Walgreens type of stores now.

I am only posting the following to help even one soul reading this. I will try this product and hope others suggest other products to help..

13. Anonymous says:

The product that actually helped me in the past is this. I in no way have a thing to do with the company. I post this to help others.

14. Anonymous says:

I found an article on things that remove this biofilm bacteria. Does anyone know how to treat it naturally?

15. Bejah B says:

Good Day Jane and everyone, I was just reading through some older documents in search of answers to many questions when I came across Donald Ostergard’s paper (Pub Med) in which he asserts the following:

15. Bacteria adhere more to hydrophobic surfaces and produce a biofilm which further protects them from phagocytosis and antibiotics [16].

He also has more to say about bacteria. Sometimes re-reading we can learn more than we did on first read. Here is the detail if you wish to retreive it and I think Jane published this or part of it as well, seems so long ago now.

Degradation, infection and heat effects on polypropylene mesh for pelvic implantation: what was known and when it was known (Title of paper).

Int Urogynecol J. 2011 Jul; 22(7): 771–774.

Published online 2011 Apr 22

Wishing all as nice day as possible,

Bejah

Dr. Ostergard long said “Mesh is not inert” in other words, it keeps inciting reactions and evolves as it’s in the body. If so, this news about particles is disturbing.

• Bejah B says:

Thanks Jane, I am beginning to feel I am an extra in a science fiction film! Where is “The Force” when you need it.

• Bejah B says:

So if we pull it out and throw it down on the floor it will continue evolving…like “The Blob”. Actually, maybe I am in the “Twilight Zone”.

If I were President I would round up all the executives from these defendant corporations and put them in a helicopter and fly them over the La Brea tar pits and drop them in. a fitting end. That should make others like them think very carefully about their actions. I might toss in the lobbyists too.

Just a little comic relief folks, in noir of course.

16. Connie says:

Jane I’m wondering if You or anyone know anyone that has experienced Perineal & small sciatic nerve damage? This has caused severe nerve damage especially in my right leg to my foot it’s actually from the vaginal area to my toes . I went to take a step two months a go the right foot didn’t move . It caused me to fall and I broke 4 bones in my foot , ankle & leg . I was in the hospital 17 days & had home health for therapy at home. I was restricted to bed for two entire months it was horrible. Has this happen to another lady you know of? Also a neurologist performed a series of electronic test . It was his decision after the test results that the problem was not lumbar related & the only other surgery or problems I have had is the vaginal mesh removals. I have something now calked drop foot as a result of the nerve damage also . Both my urogynocologist & neurologist bough have gave me the same diagnosis . I’m in terrible pain and have long scars on all gout sides if my leg and ankle . Is this normal for this type of nerve damsge ! Connie

• Bejah B says:

Dear Connie, I am so sorry to learn that you have this. I would not doubt for a moment there may be a possible connection…if it is neurological then could it relate to the pudental nerve? I am just learning about the nervous system involvement. I was diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy in both legs two years ago and have taken medication for that ever since. I am certain it is part of the aftermath of my being implanted in 2010. You may need to do a lot of research yourself as all of this is just unfolding. The list of impacting conditions and diseases seems to grow daily. Advise you start keeping a notebook with detailed records of how you are feeling, conversations with medical professionals, inc. their names, dates, times of day. My friend Margie has a dropped foot and wears a brace for it. I do not recall the cause, I will ask her again, the diagnosis was about 5 years ago and was a real blow for her but she handled it with grace so unless you know you would not realize. I am sorry you must bear this burden.

• Bejah B says:

My friend Margie said the Neurologist she saw told her there was something wrong with the neurons in her brain but they did not know the cause of her “dropped foot” which causes one to sort of drag one foot or lower leg a little to some degree. She takes no medication for it, only has this brace which Medicare pays to replace the velcro strap for every few years. She was told to just live with it. Maybe it should be noted she does not have high option health insurance as both she and her husband are retired and he was self employed. The kind of medical device you are offered Connie may depend on the affordability, I really do not know. Please let us know how you are doing as this situation evolves. I sometimes feel like we are all ticking time bombs. Who will remember us in 50 or 100 years as a community? Will there be hospital research wings dedicated to us? Will there be a monument as there is for those lost in war? Will there be any sign that we were ever here or will we be lost to history like so many before us.

17. KLP says:

Gee first of all thanks a million to everyone for input and especially to the ones that has taken time to find more info on a sore subject that keeps biting us everyday. I have posted on other things before so forgive me if I repeat anything cause I don’t mean to by any means. O

So the more I read the more doomed I feel. I feel so hopeless. I have lost a 60,000 yearly salary. I only had a dribble but due to colon cancer it was recommended a total hyster. I had endometriosis for years but due to have to purchase disability on my on ( cause when I was promoted by my union I lost that benefit along with vision and dental go figure) well while have that surgery and this thing called mesh I was denied my disability due to pre existing for endometriosis which was secondary dx with cervical cancer primary. I appealed it was denied. So I fought through that losing my vehicle in the process only to start so much pain and problems a few months after. Yep it was mesh. Although all my docs put bit off as my Polycystic Kidney Disease. Yea I have that too. Well I have managed to keep that disease stable while losing my job for running out of P

Time ( another story) so now I lost everything.

Moved to Cali from MD for help from hubby family hahahaha

They don’t care. Well

• danyelle r says:

In retrospect, I believe the reason I got my Social Security back in 2004 because the SS doctor knew what was going on. He asked be several questions about my mesh implant and the tumor that necessitated it, at that time I thought it was irrelevant. Make sure you put that you have an implant device… They (Social Security Doctors) should know by now that biofilm (antibiotic-resistant) infections are INHERENT with ALL implant devices.

18. KLP says:

Oops

Well my concern now is my kidney function has dropped to 15% and dialysis is recommended. Way to fast and way too soon. I have discolouration in my lower legs. I always feel like things are biting me. They swell so bad and sometimes they won’t work. Sometimes jus standing I feel something is ripping my insides. It took a gyn here in ca to dx me with mesh erosion. I hurt so badly my feet are so bad. My scalp gets a rash and never ever had any prob there. And now my teeth are bad my front teeth are loose. I went to dentist and medical won’t cover implants.

I feel this mesh has progressed my pkd to the point of chronic kidney failure. It has taken my organs my body and my teeth and I am far away from my kids. I have to where a pad everyday and change it a thousand times a day from blood or wettin myself. Where did I go? I have no income not a dime. Fighting social security for 3 yrs. attorney does not help get my case to go faster but will take most of my money.

I can’t buy personal things I need to feel somewhat human and no one here helps they jus want us gone and stop being beggars. Why do I gotta do this. I’m losing what is left of me fast.

My aunt also had drop foot and come to find out she had lou gerigs so please get it diagnosed future to the lady with drop foot. Sorry can’t find post now.

Thanks for the vent thanks from the bottom of my heart.

• Bejah B says:

It is illegal now for an insurer to drop you or refuse coverage due to a pre existing condition. Contact the Social Services office in your area. Sign on for Medical. There are resources available. Many family members, friends and others, even doctors, do not want to know you when you mention mesh. You must fight for yourself and seek support it sounds like you desperately need from organizations in your area, in your state. We can offer sympathy but those are the resources that can really help you.

• KLP says:

I have tried so many places. I lost my job in 2011 it was right before the pre existing clause. But either way endometriosis wasn’t primary cause. I find it hard to get financial help anywhere. I have Medi-Cal now but still urogyn I was referred to is about 3. Hrs awayl. I don’t drive or have a vehicle or the means to stay near facility. I am on so many medications for depression and anxiety. I filed for ssd and got an attorney but have been denied 3 times and attorney doesn’t do anything until we go to admin court. Another way woman are taken advantage of. I jus want to be back home but where will I live my mesh can’t provide shelter but it sure took my job , home, car and dignity. I’m not a whiner but fair is fair and life isn’t fair for us woman. I believe the doctors were supposed to be selective in whom mesh was used no patients chronic disease I believe that could be me. 40 yrs old is an early age to give up my social and sex life gee. I have also wondered how many of the executives of these manufactures in question have a spouse or daughter, mother, sister,or any other close female in their life had mesh implant and if so are they having the same issues. I’m sure we can take a guess

• Bejah B says:

KLP, Most communities have local bus services that include small buses that will go pick up the disabled at their homes and take them where they need to go and then take them home again. Also, your church can probably help. Finally, perhaps you can use the same bus service that takes you to the market and if necessary take a train or even take a taxi part way, from the bus or train station. Finally, post on Craigs list that you need someone to drive you and offer to pay them an appropriate amount. I find this to be 98% safe. Keep trying, be creative.

19. Mel says:

How does this affect any lawsuits? Is this “act of congress” a ticket out for the mesh manufacturers such as Bard, J&J, Ethicon?

20. danyelle r says:

And despite everything they knew about Teflon, by Gore-Tex mesh inserted in 1993, was made from the exact same chemical composition. I also found my initial consent form which DOES NOT even mention an implant. It was the morning of surgery when it was first discussed (which violates the FDA 1981 informed consent rules…. figures…

• danyelle r says:

… yes I realize they blamed it on the load-bearing weight of the jaw… obviously that doesn’t matter when it comes to degradation and biofilm formation… ANY use is an issue.