October ~ Welcome to Mesh News Desk

Bridge in Central Park, NYC, Ed Yourdon, Wikicommons

Bridge in Central Park, NYC, Ed Yourdon, Wikicommons

Hello and Welcome October Readers to Mesh News Desk.

How are you?

If you are new to the Pelvic Mesh issue you are in the right place.

We cover the medical, legal and regulatory issues concerning pelvic mesh. Fashioned from hernia mesh it has long been known to be associated with complications. Hernia mesh patients have complained for years so it was not surprise when pelvic mesh recipients began having the same complaints.

“Putting a Face on Adverse Events”  is why we are here and keeping you informed.  Please make use of the Search Bar. Mesh 101 contains the issues to get you started on your path. See it here.

The litigation has of late resulted in a  $73.5 million verdict for Martha Salazar v. Boston Scientific following on the heels of a $3.27 million verdict in federal court for Jo Huskey v. Ethicon (Johnson & Johnson). There are now 100-thousand of these cases filed against the major manufacturers.

Our sincere hope is some day the real faces of this pelvic mesh crisis become front page news so others can be informed and warned that this experimental chapter in women and men’s health needs to end.

At the very least, the recent FDA move to reclassify pelvic mesh POP is a start… Mesh used for incontinence and hernia implants should also be reclassified as High Risk.

As always, I appreciate those of you who step up and donate to this effort.  Coverage of upcoming November 3rd trial in Miami is uncertain at this writing. One sponsor might be able to cover the hotel which would help a lot.   Advertising allows you to put a face on your company or you can offer quiet sponsorship through a nonprofit affiliated organization, which makes your donation tax-deductible. Contact me at janeakre@meshnewsdesk.com where we can discuss the possibilities.

There is a firewall between the editorial and advertising interests on this website and any sponsored content is labeled as such with the author/their company prominently displayed.  Thank you for understanding.

Submissions by everyone are welcomed and the community has been very actively lately.  That is greatly appreciated by your editor.

Fall leaves

Thank you all for what you do. And thank you for helping each other. This is quite a community!

Together we are forming an unstoppable tsunami which is making great strides in bring this under-reported issue to the forefront where it belongs.

Enjoy your October, wherever you are!

1. These are exciting times for mesh survivors! There is growing awareness, settlements being proposed, which will bring closure to some and be an insult to others . Researchers are looking at mesh in more numbers now, and perhaps the perception that mesh is gold standard product is starting to be questioned in the medical community thanks to the efforts of the patient community finding their voices and educating themselves. With patients finding their voices thanks to this website and other support forum groups we can influence decision makers to do the right things that will fix the loopholes that allow bad products to be replicated and sold based on recalled predicate products . By joining all patients of all failed medical implant devices and materials together the voices will be louder and reach farther. Thank you to all the groups keeping focus on patient safety, and a personal thank you to Jane Akre for facilitating change in a positive productive manner that is all inclusive.

Noni- thank you and I agree… things are moving though it doesn’t always seem that way…. Certainly education is reaching an all time high..Thank you so much for bring to the forefront the autoimmune issues which are so vitally important to discuss but which is not seeing its way to court yet…. not yet.

• Carly says:

I go in 3 week to get my immune system check because my teeths has been falling out for no reason…when to Dentist and he said all my nerves on dead on all upper teeth and I need to get them ALL PULL OUT. I AM SO UPSET ABOUT THIS. I HAVE A NICE SMILE WITH WHITE TEETH AND NOW FOR NO REASON THEY HAVE TO COME AND I WILL NEED TO GET FALSE TEETH.

IF ANY ONE ELSE HAVE BEEN DEALING WITH THEIR TEETH PLEASE LET ME KNOW. Carly

I hear that many times Carly… i’m sorry but it is not unusual after mesh for some reason…. immune system gone awry??

• Carly says:

Jane- Talk to my lawyer today and told her what was going on wit my teeth and going to get checked on my immune system and she said if anything comes up to let her know. I want to thank you for something that you have said and that was about writing a letter to your lawyer about the things you have gone thru…just as a reminder to them. My lawyer said the same thing today…..She said to write a letter about about how I feel and everything I have been thru and whatever else I want them to know. She said it will keep everything fresh in their

minds when they look at my folder.

I think everyone should do it. Thanks again Carly

2. Jan Urban says:

Thank you Jane for all you do for us mesh survivors. And to all the mesh survivors, a big thank you for sharing your horror stories as well as all the time and research you provide in your posts and articles. Not knowing is frightening. But knowledge can ease those fears and as you well know there are to many of these for each one of us. I’ve spent yesterday posting to the sites in Fla. Thanks again Jane. Was there a lot of press? I’m weary from contacting all the BIG News Papers through out the US. Letters to each of the Editors, health, political, world, finance. etc. all with the same message but angled a little different . Comments on the Internet sites as well, I slip our Plight in where ever there is an opening. Grass root efforts have worked in the past.

3. Jane R. says:

I meet with my Congressman on Friday. He was shocked as to the damage these surgeries are causing. I said I realize that cigarettes are on still on the market but at least they are labeled that the will kill you. The mesh should have that warning also.

He told me to email him with news about this on a continual basis. He will keep his eyes and ears open when he is in Washington. He said their are over 600 bills in action right now so it’s important that I keep in touch with him.

If you haven’t gotten in touch with your Congressman, email them or call them. The office staff was extremely helpful.

So glad to hear that and you are a HERO for taking the next step… or should I say heroine! Truly the only settlement of a large amount will be when Congress forces mesh makers to provide a multi-billion dollar fund for you all to have ONLY EXPERT doctors address your complications….Thank you for making it happen. ~ ja

• Jane R. says:

No hero Jane. Just want to make sure no one else goes through this. I wouldn’t wish this on my worst enemy. Well maybe the manufacturers that made the mesh.

4. HELLO EVERYBODY !! IVE JUST RECENTLY DISCOVERED MESH NEWS A MONTH AGO AND THIS IS MY 2ND TIME LEAVING A COMMENT. MY 1ST COMMENT WAS LEFT ON BRUCE ROTHENBURGS ARTICLE AND HAVNT SEEN AN ADDED COMMENT YET. I JUST WANT EVERYONE TO READ THIS AND KNOW JUST HOW MUCH ALL OF YOU HAVE HELPED ME, BECAUSE I TRULY FELT LIKE I WAS ALL ALONE. IM 39 YRS OLD, A LETTER CARRIER FOR 15 YRS, AND WAS IN THE BEST SHAPE OF MY LIFE. I HAD DOUBLE HERNIA IN 2001 AND LEFT SIDE REDONE IN 2002, BOTH LAPROSCPC. THE ONLY ISSUES I HAD WAS TIME OF MONTH MORE PAINFUL BUT DIDNT LINK TIL JUST RECENTLY. MAY 2013, I HAD THE WORSE PAIN EVER IN LEFT SIDE AND ASSUMED MESH TORE. I SEEN THE SAME SURGEON AND HE GAVE ME AN ANTI-INFLAMMATORY SHOT, RIGHT IN CENTER OF WHERE HERNIA WAS. IT WORKED AMAZING AND I WAS BACK TO WORK THE NEXT DAY. MY OFFICE IS UNDERSTAFFED, I WORKED UP TO 65 HRS A WEEK, UP UNTIL I GOT HURT 6-2-14. ONCE AGAIN, I HAD THAT SAME PAIN,( FROM A YR AGO) AND THIS TIME IT WAS ON BOTH SIDES OF STOMACH. I SEEN SAME SURGEON, MENTIONED THE SHOT, HE GAVE ME NO OTHER OPTION OTHER THAN, OPEN DOUBLE HERNIA SURGERY AND 6 WEEKS MIN RECOVERY,TO MAKE IT A LITTLE SHORTER FROM HERE, I HAD SURGERY ON 6-20-14, AND WITHIN A COUPLE DAYS, I KNEW SOMETHING WAS WRONG. AT 2 WEEK POST-OP APPT, HE SAID MY PAIN WAS NORMAL, AND BECAME IRATE WITH ME AT 4 WEEK POST-OP APPT. HE RUSHED ME OUT TO CHECKOUT, YELLING, SAYING MY PAIN ISNT FROM SURGERY, AND THERES NO MORE HE CAN DO. I WAS CUT OFF PAIN MEDICATIONS UNTIL PAIN MANAGEMENT APPT, IN WHICH MY PRIMARY DOCTOR REFERRED ME TO. IM DIAGNOSED WITH ILIOINGUINAL NEURALGIA, IVE HAD 2 NERVE BLOCKS ( WHICH MADE PAIN WORSE), AND SEE NEURO SURGEON OCT 14TH. SINCE SURGERY, IVE BEEN CONFINED TO MY RECLINER, ANY MOVEMENT AT ALL CREATES WORSE PAIN. MY HIP/PELVIC BONES, LEGS AND KNEES, AND STOMACH MUSCLES CONSTANTLY HURT ALL THE WAY THROUGH BACK NOW. IM UNABLE TO LAYDOWN AND PRIVATE AREA CONSTANTLY HURTS. IM IN UNBEARABLE PAIN IN LATE AFTERNOON, JUST FROM MAKING TRIPS TO BATHROOM THROUGHOUT THE DAY, BECAUSE GETTING UP AND DOWN AND WALKING CREATES SO MUCH MORE PAIN. THE SURGERY DIDNT HELP STOMACH PAIN AT ALL. SURGEON SAID, DURING OPERATION AND HAD ME OPENED UP, I HAD NO HERNIA OR TEAR ON RIGHT SIDE, BUT PUT MESH IN FRONT AND BACK ANYWAYS. NOW THAT SIDE HURTS WORSE. THE HERNIA MESH DIDNT SOLVE MY PAIN AT ALL, ITS TOTALLY WORSE. IVE READ INFO ON A.C.N.E.S. AND TRULY BELIEVE THATS WHAT I HAVE AND NOW ALONG WITH NERVE DAMAGE, AND PAIN FROM MESH. I KNOW I LEFT ALOT OUT, BUT I WAS HOPING SOMEONE READING THIS COULD GIVE ME INFO ON WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN I SEE NEURO SURGEON NEXT WEEK. I TRIED EMAILING BRUCE ROTHENBURG BUT MY LAPTOP WOULDNT ALLOW IT. THANKS SO MUCH TO EVERYONE OUT THERE FOR BEING SO SUPPORTIVE AND WILLING TO SHARE YOUR STORIES.

L- Please call Bruce… he is very knowledgeable about hernia injuries… I’m so sorry… 954-701-5094. He is being inundated with calls from Mesh News Desk and doesn’t even have time to set up his own website..or the resources… So many injuries and hernia folks don’t have the FDA warning that POP mesh implants folks have.

• Kitty says:

I am somewhat ignorant on hernia mesh. Was your mesh synthetic or biologic?