Boston Scientific Offers First Settlement to 3,000 Pelvic Mesh-Injured Women

Obtryx IIIn a regulatory filing (here), Boston Scientific Corp announced today it’s reached a settlement of $119 million to resolve 2,970 product liability cases concerning pelvic mesh.

That would amount to an average award of just $40,000 per claim.  Claims are generally awarded based on the degree of injury resulting from a pelvic mesh implant so an award could amount to more or less than that number.

This does not resolve the bulk of the 25,000 cases filed in U.S. and federal state courts but it would include the Martha Salazar case which resulted in a $35 million award against the company last year.

There is no admission of liability or wrongdoing if an agreement is reached reports Reuters. The funds could be set aside in an escrow account by October 1.

*New* The timing is interesting. In a recent ruling, Judge Joseph Goodwin, who is overseeing the federal cases against pelvic mesh manufacturers,  allowed to stand punitive damage claims in one of its pending product liability claims.  See story here.

Here is the portion of the SEC report:

ITEM 8.01.     OTHER EVENTS

On April 28, 2015, the Company announced that it reached an agreement with certain plaintiffs’ counsel to settle substantially all of their inventories of product liability cases and claims pending against the Company related to transvaginal surgical mesh products designed to treat stress urinary incontinence and pelvic organ prolapse. This settlement has been memorialized in a Master Settlement Agreement (the “Agreement”), which was entered into solely by way of compromise and does not constitute an admission or concession by the Company of any liability or wrongdoing. The Agreement provides that the Company will pay approximately $119 million to resolve 2,970 cases and claims, including a case in the District Court of Dallas County (TX) for which there is a judgment of approximately $35 million that is currently subject to appeal. Under the terms of the Agreement, the Company will make two payments into a settlement fund held in escrow with full funding to be completed on or before October 1, 2015. The Agreement establishes a procedure for claimants to participate in the settlement. The settlement and the distribution of settlement funds to participating claimants are conditioned upon, among other things, achieving minimum required claimant participation thresholds. If the participation thresholds are not satisfied, the Company may terminate the Agreement.

1. Hal Lewis says:

I seriously doubt that these manufacturers are ever going to get 90% of the victims to agree to these settlements.

I just can’t see it happening.

Thus, I think the rejection of them will send a very loud signal to these companies that their first offers are simply not enough to get them out of the woods.

It looks to me like they are offering what they “want” the Plaintiffs to accept and not truly realizing how much deeper they are going to have to dig.

• Hal Lewis says:

I mean, really?

An AVERAGE of $40,000?

So for every seriously injured person who gets $400,000… 9 other people accept $1.00?

How in the world would anyone expect that to fly?

My guess: THEY DON’T.

I think the Plaintiffs’ attorneys are accepting these offers just so that they can be soundly rejected by the victims as a wake-up call to the manufacturers.

• Hal Lewis says:

Unless…

all 2,970 of these cases involve people who have Mesh inserted but have never had a single problem or symptom.

Maybe these are all “Tier I” cases?

• msm says:

It seems nearly every settlement, regardless of company, have averaged $40K. I believe they are all using the same tier structure and amounts.

• msm says:

To clarify, when a total settlement amount ($119M) and divided by the number of cases involved (2970), the average is about $40,000 per case IF everyone received the same amount which isn’t likely unless they are settling one tier at a time which would be interesting considering the number of women who are on the bubble between tiers.

AMS settling 20,000 for 830M announced April 2014 and

1300 for $54M in June 2013

Coloplast settling 400 cases for $16M

Bard settling 500+ cases for 21M

There are other similar settlements

• Hal Lewis says:

Without disclosing the amounts…

I am fairly certain that the average of the settlement Jane mentioned and then retracted last week was $135,000.

• Bejah says:

Always good to have you share your thoughts Hal, thanks for hanging in there but remember (in jest) HELL hath no fury like a woman scorned and these women are on fire. Is it reasonable and prudent for our community to remember that (1) The offensive $120,000.00 or what ever it is does NOT consider all of the fees and payouts to plaintiff counsel, hospitals, doctors, etc. Right? I hope all of these women had agreements with their counsel for a fair percentage, certainly not more than 35% (Mine is far lower but I am not permitted to say nor would it be becomming. Also I would ask our people if their agreements with their counsel were for a percentage of gross or net. For their sake I hope it is an agreement that is fair and honorable. For those who are reading here and just entering into this world make sure you get 3-4 proposals from law firms and review them carefully with advisors if you have one, before deciding which firm to sign with. Of course this will be driven by who will accept you and that depends on the strength of your case. Remember usually the one with the most money (and power) and the best attorneys wins. Fairness I think does not have much to do with it. If these proposed settlement amounts make you feel like throwing up and you think trial may be a better option I expect that will make the defendant a bit queezy. When you play poker you call someones bluff, you keep your poker face on, when you are buying property you negotiate, and when you visit Mexico or Bali or Fez you barter. Who in all of these scenarios would snap at the first offer like a dim witted catfish? The defendents think that as a whole we are a population of weepy at best middle class women without stellar educations who think $120,000 is a lot of money (Actually you would probably get about half of that…I am guessing here). (2) The defendant corporations think differently about money and their perception of a lot of money is very different than ours.

I suggest you get together in your communities and do a little play acting. Two chairs, one person represents the defendant, standing in their shoes and looking out at the world for a few minutes, and person two is a victim. Engage in a dialog as if you were those characters, be the character (Is that method acting?). Then talk about it. You will find that you are probably very upset. Talk through it, tape it, let it rest and revisit it a couple of days later. I expect you will learn a lot. And you will have created a little support group. I would love to see you all get together in this way a couple of times a month, combine it with book club or girls night out or those groups that make a dinner for eachother once a month. Remember there is strength in numbers and it is when we talk and have an open dialog that good ideas come to us. The defendants have strategy meetings,,,,so can we. BTW we should try to look back at other behaviors in cases they have been in to look for patterns of behavior because typically they will engage even subconsciously what has worked before for them.

Another thought that came to me in the night…their BRAND is their lifeblood. If we could crack the credibility of their brand that would deal a crushing blow. To do that we must rely on the truth and we need money or someone with money who will stand up for us. Just a thought.

I would lke to communicate with Noni W. if she would allow me to contact her. I would also like to talk to the researcher in Europe who came to testify at a trial this past year and was dismissed by the defendant before his testimony about the petroleum mesh could be considered. I do not remember his name. Can anyone provide me with his name and phone number or something. Thanks.

For the record I would find a settlement amount across the board for all victims if each received the same amount something like $5,000,000. not $120,000. Making all tiers flattened would accomplish two things:

A. It would punish the defendants which would in theory discourage them from such conduct in the future

B. It would be easier for the courts, counsel and settlement processing entities to work through.

Since it is very clear that JNJ does not play well with others in contrast to their all American persona I expect they will go kicking and screaming into settlement mode. Heaven knows how that will play out.

After May 1st I will go to the print shop here with a drawing of an icon for posters, t-shirts, bumper stickers, letterhead, business cards for us. I will send the three color samples (Max of three colors is cheaper, red, black and white) to Jane or whoever wants them but I need an address…also for the fabric samples maybe after the upcoming events have passed. Who is going to sew this quilt BTW. Maybe Hal could do it! 🙂

Keep smiling no matter what. It will make the helicopters flying over your house wondering what you are up to.

Bejah

• Jane akre says:

Yes, they were the best settlement numbers we’ve seen so far. Perhaps they should provide a wake-up call to the other law firms…..

• Juanita says:

There has been questions about about.amounts and I can tell you I am a category 1 and after attorneys fees of 40% my part would total 15,000 including the age supplement which gives a grand total of approximately $9,000.

• Barb says:

Not true MSM American Medical re-evaluated no longer $830, it is now $93, 000,000 with another over $3,000,000 in reserve.

• msm says:

Barb,

I’m not sure which of my comments you are referring to. I didn’t comment here about a valuation of AMS.

However, is your comment referring to AMS or ENDO? ENDO International is the company funding AMS settlements. AMS (except WHP) has been sold to BSX. The remainder will go to private equity..

If anyone is interested in ENDO’s financial standings, you should get the latest here.

Endo to Announce First Quarter 2015 Financial Results on May 11, 2015

• msm says:

In reference to:

————————————————————————————-

Barb says:

May 4, 2015 at 8:31 pm

————————————————————————————–

Are you saying that the settlement ENDO made for $830 Million has been REDUCED to $93 Million with $3 Million in reserve?

Is that still to settle a “substantial” number of 20,000 cases as they originally reported? They reportedly added $400 Million to the original $830 Million in Sept. of last year to bring it to $1.2 Billion to bring their total in all pending settlements to $1.6 Billion.

$1.6 Billion Master Settlement Reached to Resolve AMS Pelvic Mesh Claims

Jane,

Do you know of this change?

• Abandoned says:

I would guess…only a guess…that many of the mesh companies have collaborated together on this settlement mess!

If that is the case, would there be an anti-trust violation? fixed fees…bla, bla, bla

• Barb says:

Hal I spoke with my attorney they have received all but 5 to join. As far as the other’s that are not joining those cases will be set aside…….not sure what they will be doing!!

• I was appalled at their offer !!! I have lost my job and now live off disability and can NO LONGER be with my husband in the big way !!! and my lawyer seem to want to jump on the band wagon and settle and he even tried to tell me he could trim his fee !!! I replied do you REALLY understand what Boston scientific has done to me ???????????? Do you understand the pain I live in every single day ? So hell no I will not be taken that offer !!!!!!!!!

2. Pam says:

4th doesn’t even pay my yearly salary that I no longer am capable of earning since 2013 & it surely isn’t even close to cover the insurance liens for reimbursement either. Although I’m an Ethicon victim surely J&J is watching closely these offers.

I would settle with nothing, before I settle for such a disgraced offer. My life is for ever changed at 40 yrs old, I’ve spent entire 401K past 2 yrs to live & medical expenses & surgeries absorbed that quickly. I’m still unable to work, & have no income at all. It ruined my 20 yr marriage & split my family to shreds. I am isolated in my home, & oh….my home I lost that, too. Family & friends do not grasp the pain , nor can any doctor or medication truly belp.

This is total violation in every way of a woman’s dignity. It’s shameful. It’s torture. It’slonely . It’s HELL!!!!

I pray that our suffering isn’t forever, but after 5 yrs of continuously declining, loss of mobility, & ability to function…….another day for any of us is forever.

May God be with us, & bring us comfort for the pain & suffering!

You put that so well….violation, torture, the money is pitiful….I’m sorry. I wish the companies would get it and do the right thing….If not the company execs, maybe the shareholders would have a moment of clarity to realize they cannot make profits off of the misery of others. It’s blood money.

• Betty says:

Pam im living the same hell with the same company implant.

My dogs even suffer now as there is days i want to just stay in bed and cry. But of course im unable to do as they dont deserve to be put on the back burner. They have stood beside me since this all started and they arethe only ones still here after 6yrs

Of a living night mare. There are times that i wish all thepain would go away forever then i get a cold nose nudge me to say hay we are here and love you. DONT FORGET US. So lets all remember if we have no human or furry friends standing beside us, ladies we have eachother. If it wasnt for Janes posting i wouldnt have known about the mesh falling apart inside of me could and was making me deathly sick. It cost me a 10yr relationship which was sexles for the last 3-4 yrs and who wants a wom

• Betty says:

en who can no longer ingage in making love of any kind because any kind of affection cause’s pain in places there should never be pain unless yr having a baby again sorry rabbit cage has been gone along time and im in my 50’s. Prime of my life but feel like im 70and so broken inside that love and affection will never happen again. THATS SAD FOR US LADIES TO BE FEELING, when all we did is trust our doctor’s who trusted their companies that were there to supposedly to help us and all its done to 90% of us was destoryed us from inside out. Love you all and lets keep our heads held high because we know now ITS NOT JUST IN OUR HEADS ITS A LARGE PROBLEM WORLD WIDE….

• Sandra says:

I was in the middle of typing you a response when my computer messed up. So I will start again, I was glad to hear you say we were deceived but also our Dr.’s were deceived . I had my attorney’s para-legal tell me that I signed the consent form for my first surgery and he had put in it that he possibly would have to put in a vaginal sling, I had never heard that term, but that is what he thought I might need. He is deceased now, but he would have never put something in my body that would do harm to me. I am sure that Boston Scientific convinced him the sling was a safe product. That was in 2003 and I had two more surgeries in 2010 trying to help me. I guess I am beyond help. But in 2003 my life changed and will be with me forever. My problems are many and it is hard to cope with this sadness mixed with anger, but I hope and pray that I get some results and make Boston Scientific realize that it is inhumane what they have done to so many.

• Michelle says:

Hi! I love everything you said. I have a very similar case. But, I thought we could not speak about it online. Is that true. My life is ruined and I wish I could talk with others in a similar situation. I hope to hear from you. Thank you!

• Janet Davis says:

This is procedure that needs to be ban. It causing more harm than good. And theirs no need to try to protect these companies are doctors stop the procedures all over the world. Its no go then the company want have to be putting a limit on how much they want to pay

3. angela says:

Im just curious to see how all of this will play out. How do they decide who is included in what settlement offer. This WHOLE process is beyond confusing to me. Also is there anyone who reads this that has had rashes of unknown origins since the mesh implantation? Or a nickel based allergic reaction since the mesh implantation? If so please let me know. I am dealing with multiple issues currently and am completely lost when it comes to this mdl

• Betty says:

Yes i have had little bumbs come up itch for days and then kinda blister then i try to squezze them and man they hurt then theyj just go away. But hard to wear underware or pant as they are mpstly on lower bk legs and lower gut but they areNOT HEAT RASH

• Michelle Mcmanus says:

I too have the rashes that Drs can’t figure out also they used my stomach muscles for the sling they took out . The settlement for the 120 million half goes to attorneys and 25% goes to pay insurance back so even 90,000$ is too little

• DAWN says:

I also got a horrible rash within the first year of surgery. It lasted for 4 months and it was very painful. It left me with terrible sores on my legs and then I got MRSA . Since then my soft skin has now been plagued with eczema and psoriasis. My skin no longer heals. It has ruined my life.

4. J says says:

There is no way I will accept accept $40,000 that is like a slap in the face. I have suffered way to much, and my life has forever changed, and not form my doing or Gods doing. It is time Boston Scientific and the other manufacturers own up and do the right thing. I have a girlfriend that retired from JNJ and she lives the good life with the nice pension she got. JNJ along with other companies like them would rather reward their own and not correct the wrong they have done. But somehow I think it is more than just the manufacturing companies, I still hear the radio and television commercials with attornies solisiting woman that have had a mesh implant. If the company’s do not have the monies to pay us why are the attorneys solisiting more woman. I can not figure that out????????????????????????

• Jane akre says:

Because if you have a mesh in place only they can get you $10,000 and they make $5k. Easy money. Money in numbers can add up. In my opinion, these are the kind of attorneys who give trial attorneys a bad name. Those that solicit numbers only with no intention of working up any cases for trial. Having watched trial attorneys in action I can say they work hard, long hours for years to present a case in court. You’all would be impressed. It’s not easy work and there are no guarantees you will even win your case. When you lose the case, they lose their investment in time and money. Please understand there is a real difference in the caliber of law firms and their ability to work for you. It’s real easy to throw around disparaging comments if you don’t understand the difference.

5. Dorothy says:

Hal, Jane’s figures for tier 1 were 60,000 for pop, 50,000 for sui. These were mesh in place with medical management of symptoms. I wrote them all down. I think B.S. means their offer to be for that 1st tier but they have a ways to go.

6. Dorothy says:

Also, I think you have to subtract the 35 million for the lawsuit on appeal. That is included in their settlement offer if I’m understanding the wording. NOT going to work, as Jane said some tier 1 women have the same injuries as tier 5 but just haven’t been able to have a surgical procedure. Good time to tell everyone, the surgery reports sometimes reveal more for your case then any other paperwork. I was surprised.

• Jane R says:

I am one of those that haven’t had the money for doctors and surgeries. Nerve damage right after surgery.

I do have medical reports on that. Worked until 2011, moved out of state and lost my health insurance. I have insurance now but 5K out of pocket last year on top of the insurance payments. My surgery report (BS Obtryx) broke

twice during surgery. And this one was found defective. So where would I stand?

Do you mean your operative report says the Obtryx broke during surgery and they continued to put it in? That sounds like medical malpractice….Do you have a law firm?

• Jane R says:

Jane, I do have a law firm. And I know you know them.

Fleming, Nolan & Jez. They got the surgical report for me.

I had not seen it until I signed up with them in 2011.

• Jane R says:

The doctor implanted an new mesh after the first one broke twice.

Just wanted to clarify that.

• Hal Lewis says:

Dorothy,

I can assure you that they are not paying the $35 million.

They made an offer to settle that case… which I am sure was generous… but nowhere near that amount.

7. msm says:

For anyone thinking that a trust should be set up for mesh the same as it was for asbestos exposure, the FACT Act has been re-introduced in Congress. This is the “Furthering Asbestos Claim Transparency Act” (FACT Act).

This would “require asbestos trusts to publicly disclose information about the settlement terms between trusts and claimants. ”

“The FACT Act would require asbestos trust administrators for the first time, to reveal openly and publicly this private confidential information from claimants.”

It “would require the 60 or so asbestos trusts to publicly disclose, on websites, all manner of private information about claimants. Anyone in the world with a web browser could learn claimants’ and family members’ names and home addresses, where they work, some personal medical and financial information, and the last four digits of their Social Security numbers. In other words, claimants would be left wide open to identity theft.”

Read more: http://www.mesothelioma.com/blog/authors/barbara/fact-act-update-a-bad-bill-passes-the-house.htm#ixzz3YivaLJXe

This does nothing to increase transparency of the corporations. Instead, it only works to discourage claimants from filing legitimate claims. Most of the duplicate or marginal claims submitted are filed by unscrupulous “recruiting” lawyers. The majority of claims are legitimate and the clients are assisted by professional and ethical attorneys.

For anyone who is thinking, “If you don’t have anything to hide, why do you care if it is posted.”, Think seriously about your own information. Do you want any one in the entire world who has access to the Internet to be able to Google you and find this information. EVERYTHING? Think about it being re-published in numerous media. Imagine it on the front page of your hometown newspaper. Lung cancer is bad enough, but incontinence, inability to have intercourse, prolapse, and all the other intimate details of your case that support your claim? Write your Congressional representatives and let them know it is not a fair or productive bill and only serves to humiliate American citizens who have already suffered due to manufacturers and the FDA who don’t care what happens to human beings.

I’ll stop my rant now. Sorry I got on a roll but when I came across this, I was floored that such a thing would be considered seriously. It passed the House when first introduced in 2013 but stalled in the Senate. This is the “Freedom of Information Act” that so many citizens wanted. It is only being used against us. That is why the lists of our cases are exposed now. And that may be just the beginning…

• msm says:

Also, claimants are receiving as little as 7.5 percent of the amount they were scheduled to receive under the agreement that formed the trust.

8. Rich says:

My wife and I have been dealing with this for years and still cant get a straight answer from a Doctor, we are Military and have been told a very different story depending on the Doctor’s that seen her to include there is nothing wrong with the mesh and that the Military are still putting them in woman today!!! We feel like they just don’t care, she went to one specialist in San Antonio TX who wanted to do things like Botox’s in the bladder and made her go thru incontinence tests and other humiliating exercise’s to the point my wife will not go see anyone now. 20G after lawyer fee’s wont even cover one surgery she needs (but is to scared to do after reading about how it only made it worse). DONT take the “pay off” make them do what is right and fair!

Rich- Find a specialist…. unfortunately most doctors are ignorant about mesh complications and deny they exist. Often an attempt to remove mesh leaves more problems…. you need someone who removes mesh regularly if that is what is needed. Please let us know where you are… there may be someone in your area… Phillipe Zimmern is in Dallas…for example.

• Lucy Loo says:

Rich, My mesh was put in by a civilian doctor; however, all but 1 of my five revision surgeries have been performed by a military Urogynecologist. The military trains in mesh removal at Walter Reed and according to my Urogyn the military puts in far less mesh than civilians docs. There is help; do not give up. I had to go to pelvic floor physical therapy to rule out muscle spasms before I received any help. Also, had to endure painful shots for pain control before they would do surgery. They quickly figured out that my pain was caused by mesh. The revisions have helped in some ways, but have made things worse in other ways. My life is forever changed, and I, like others, am trying to take it one day at a time. DEMAND

9. Dorothy says:

Hal, do you mean they intend to negotiate a lower amount for the 35 million case. Hasn’t that amount already been cut in half from 73 million. How can that happen, she’s already won her case.

• Barb says:

Dorothy yes she did win her case at 73 mil how eve many states have put on a CAP of what a person can really get! And many States can and will take a percentage of the awarded money!!

10. Making concessions to criminals . . . this is justice? JAIL ’em!

11. anonymous says:

I agree, the only way we can help protect future patients from this type of medicine is prison time. Maybe then, manufacturers will not hurt the public for profit, seemingly on purpose. I believe we will all be guilty of this crime if money buys our silence. We should use this as a teachable moment for everyone who seeks medical care. What is the next product that will be thought up to hurt the ones we love?

No hush money. Just prison.

12. Barb says:

I think we all need to keep n mind again, we are all put in categories or tiers based on our individual injuries. Again These monies are not GOING TO SPLIT BETWEEN CLIENTS, that also is not including pain suffering, any other medical issues that we have due to the defective devices.!! Manufactures are starting to come to the table however my attorney firm is only working on AMS first to get their clients claims taken care of. Wonder what they do with someone who has had original surgery, 2 revisions, 2 defective devises from AMS now will find out tomorrow if Hysterectomy is next!! Even though we are in the settlement faze with AMS They will not wait to see if surgery all they want if it in writing by the physician.

13. jan says:

Just think of all those people each having too pay say 32-46% how much they are getting. I feel in these types of cases mdl. And some other fees I’ve seen should be one amount capped. This is unreal off of innocent victims. I understand their hard work for us but still really.

14. janet says:

I was told that Boston scientific was not settling that was from my attorneys office. .they advised me they wanted trials for every case.

There was nothing good from the attorney I spk with regards th o Boston scientific.

I will not settle for 40 thousand. That’s like a slap in the face to us all

Boston scientific needs to stop spending money to research things they have spent 875 million in the last couple of months and another 800 plus million on an different research. .

Then in may they bought a device for 1.6 bill

They have stock going up

I have had a cpa investigate there financial gain and loses

I do not want to break this comp

But let’s be fair and honest not once have they swallowed there bull and admit to there wrong doing with us

They knew this was bad..

They have financial broke me..and alot of other women also.

I really believe the CEO of this company needs to step down for putting more stress and more medical issues with this stuff instead of doing what’s right

I do believe that 35million is wrong in these cases

I do believe they should offer as high as 8 million to the woman with more surgies and issues

Plus there attorneys fees

And maybe 1 million plus attorneys fees for the ones with 1 revision and other issues and so on..

This is not going to break this company, but maybe it eould help to restore there bad name and maybe we could restore our confidence in them ad actually a caring manufacturer..that believes in taking care of there wrong doing.

It’s sad that we are still in the same place with all these manufacturers

Sorry but lawyers don’t always know what’s going on. Perhaps they should read mesh news desk and/or use the search bar on page one to find answers. Here is one Boston Scientific settlement

• Wendy says:

Ho Janet,

My name is Wendy and, it seems we have pretty much the same issues from the Boston Scientific Vaginal mesh. I learned I not only had ONE implant but, TWO… One for my POP & the other for a bladder sling. I have had extreme pain and complications ever since these two vaginal mesh by Boston Scientific were implanted into my body. I had to have a revision surgery to “remove” the mesh but, my Dr. was unable

To remove the majority because it had grown into my tissue and, he said that I have south scar tissue that it was so hard for him to get what he got. This was the most painful surgery I’ve had. I am still in constant pain, I can’t stand, walk sit, do any form of yoga “I was always in the gym and, was a regular in Togo class.” I cannot do any of my typical daily activities anymore. I can’t even have a job. I used to be strong and, independent. Now since I was about 40 when all of this started my entire world has turned upside down. My sex life with my husband is basically “non-existent” which takes a huge toll on our marriage not to mention my not being able to bring in an income to help support our fairly large family. This has away caused divorce and has definitely cause me not only constant unbearable pain but, also the loss of respect from my children, husband and family members. No one UNDERSTANDS the PAIN I deal with Everyday!! For them to just “look at me” they don’t SEE anything wrong. My Dr. And, even the two specialists I’ve seen said they can do nothing that wouldn’t cause further damage as well as internal bleeding. They have all just insisted info back to the “Pain Clinic” for Narcotic Pain Meds. I chose to stop taking them 1 1/2 years ago. I do not want that poison in my blood.

I can’t even go to the grocery store without balling crying from pain on my way home.

I feel like ramming my head into a tree because it’s so frustrating to deal with on a daily basis and everyone thinks you/I am crazy.

My life as I used to know it has been ruined right in the beginning of my early 40’s. I’ve been pretty much Debilitated and, have lost all respect from my family & husband because they are just not able to understand. None of them have any kind of respect for me at all anymore.

Anyway…. I received a letter today from the law firm that is representing me. They are Freese & Goss, PLLC in Dallas Texas.

I guess I am one of the 2,970 women in the $119 million settlement by Boston Scientific. My letter states it’s $120 million from the group. I’m confused because I was told that this law firm was NOT doing a “class action but, individual and possible small groups of 5 at the most together.

They said to now wait 5-6 weeks to relieve a “settlement packet” and, to also not contact them until I receive it.

The way the letter reads it seems that they believe this to be an amazing accomplishment but, I personally do not believe that this amount for 2,970 women minus what the attorney’s will take for their fees is even CLOSE to whatever we deserve for our bodies and, lives being RUINED!

I am not educated on all the legalities concerning this or even my rights as a women that has been physically ruined / debilitated by these “two products” from Boston Scientific that have been implanted and, pretty much unsuccessfully removed with a second surgery for revision because of all of the scar tissue that has covered both mesh’s.

I can’t live like this. My husband can’t afford for me to not work but, I am physically unable to do so. I’ve lost all respect from people I know & love. Even my own family & children.

I guess I’m in desperate need of advice. I was so disappointed when I got this letter today, being given the realization and, reality that there would NOT be any decent compensation for what has been done to me.

I’m about to see yet another specialist in “HOPES” that MAYBE they can do something to fix this to at least being bearable to live at least half of the normal life that had I once before. I am only 45 now and have been dealing with this pain and, so many other issues for so long now. I feel as though I’m going to lose my mind.

I’m now in therapy, am on anti anxiety & depression medication and, can hardly even pick up any of my three Grand-Children that are 7 months, 2 & 2 1/2.

I should be enjoying my life with them. I mostly have to be on heating pads to at least give “a small amount” of relief for a short period of time.

Any Suggestions???

I’m so desperate right now I could cry.

I just can’t take it anymore.

• Sarah says:

Hi Wendy, My Mom got the same letter you did, about 2970 cases, she also has had the surgrery to have it removed. Still in alot of pain, had two more surgeries for no bladder control and they think 50 70 thousand dollars alot, I wonder what there life is worth, she has no life she says in bed in pain and living on pain meds.If they get 90 percent to sign that means they get away with no punitive damages and walk away with paying less than they spend on a nice weekend outting, while the rest of the women live with pain that will never go away. and medical bills that keep coming. You women need to stand togather and say NO to there settlement. Voice in numbers.

• Susan says:

Sarah…. They don’t care and never will. They don’t have to. Even if someone des win in court BSC always does & will continue to only keep them in appeals until they can’t fight in court anymore. They have even posted a public statement that they have billions in a special account just for lawyers to appeal every single case. They will continue to do so because they refuse to admit any fault what so ever for the sake of tarnishing their brand and name.

I’ve come to accept that I will live in pain for the rest of whatever life I can possibly have. Which isn’t much at all.

I’ve had 3 surgeries now. I have another that I must have after completely healing from this last one.

I’ll never be the same and I now know I can only hope that God will take care of the ultimate punishment for those that have no care or any thought for others lives. Especially for those they’ve ruined.