May Brings Two Defective Mesh Trials Naming Boston Scientific

bs logoAdd these two upcoming cases to your mesh calendar.

Sanchez Trial

On May 5th in a federal court in Los Angeles, Roseanne Sanchez will take her product liability case against Boston Scientific before a jury.   The Honorable John F. Walter of the Central District of California will oversee the five-day trial.  (Sanchez v. Boston Scientific 2:12-cv-05762)

Roseanne Sanchez was implanted with a Boston Scientific Pinnacle Pelvic Floor Repair Kit.

*New* Her case had been filed in Charleston, WV and is considered a bellwether, those chosen to take before a jury to gauge the potential to settle.

Her attorneys are Scott Love of Clark, Love Hutson of Houston, TX and Jim Perdue (Perdue Kidd). Both law firms won a $28 million award for four plaintiffs last November in a Miami federal courtroom.

In that case, each woman, also implanted with the Pinnacle Pelvic Mesh Repair Kit, was awarded between $6.5 and 6.7 million.  The case is on appeal.  See Mesh News Nov 13, 2014, where the jury decided:

The nine-person jury decided the Pinnacle was defectively designed and its instruction to physicians were also defective; that the company was negligent and failed to warn patients about the dangers of the Pinnacle.

Barba Trial

Motley Rice attorney Fidelma Fitzpatrick will try the case of Deborah Barba v. Boston Scientific May 11th in a Delaware court.  Deborah Barba was implanted with a Boston Scientific Pinnacle mesh as well as an Advantage Fit retropubic sling.  She has since had two revision surgeries.

Her trial will be in in Superior Court of New Castle Co. Delaware before Judge Mary M. Johnston and should take approximately two weeks.  (Barba v. Boston Scientific No. N11C-08-050 MMJ). This is not a bellwether case and was originally filed in Delaware state court.

*New* Today in a regulatory filing, (here) Boston Scientific announced its reached a settlement of $119 million to resolve 2,970 pelvic mesh cases. There will be no admission of liability if an agreement is reached.  This would be the first mesh settlement offered by the company. See the Mesh News Desk story here.

The funds could be set aside in an escrow account by October 1.

Background

Boston Scientific has seen mixed results in the courtroom over its pelvic mesh products.

In November, four women implanted with the Boston Scientific Obtryx mesh, a mid-urethral sling to treat incontinence, were together awarded $18.5 million by a West Virginia jury.  (Tyree v. Boston Scientific, 2:12-cv-08633).

The jurors decided in each case the Obtryx mesh was defectively designed, the instructions to physicians were insufficient and the company was negligent in its manufacture of the Obtryx. Each woman was awarded an additional $1 million in punitive damages. See Mesh News Desk story here.

Last September in a Dallas courtroom, the jury awarded Martha Salazar $73.5 million for the injuries she received from the Obtryx Mid-Urethral Sling. That amount was later reduced by half under state caps. Story here.

Maria Cardenas lost her product liability trial to Boston Scientific last August in the Massachusetts Superior Court of Middlesex County. (No. 12-02912). See the Mesh News Desk story here.

Reportedly, her lawyers were not allowed to introduce to the jury the Material Safety Data Sheet. That is a breakdown of raw materials that is issued by petroleum companies that sell the raw resin used to make a polypropylene pelvic mesh implant, in her case the Obtryx pelvic mesh.  It contains a warning the resin is not to be used to make an implantable medical device. See background story here.

The Obtryx remains on the market

In July, 2014, the company won its first bellwether case in Albright v. Boston Scientific. Ms. Albright was also implanted with the Pinnacle mesh. See her story here.  Mesh News Desk reported August 4, 2014 the problems with the Albright case (Albright v. Boston Scientific No. 12-0909) here.

Since then Judge Diane Kottmyer has retired from the federal bench in Middlesex Co. Mass., the headquarters of Boston Scientific.

The Pinnacle Pelvic Floor Repair Kit is no longer on the market in the U.S.

Boston Scientific used polypropylene mesh known as Marlex to make its pelvic mesh implants to treat pelvic organ prolapse (POP) and stress urinary incontinence (SUI). The Pinnacle Pelvic Floor Repair Kit was the largest among all mesh kits ever made among all manufacturers to treat POP. It was voluntarily recalled from the market by Boston Scientific in 2011.

On May 10, 2011, Boston Scientific sent an “URGENT MEDICAL DEVICE RECALL-IMMEDIATE ACTION REQUIRED” letter to all affected customers concerning its Class 2 recall for the Pinnacle Pelvic Floor Repair Kit because ‘the device may exhibit low tensile strength between the needle and suture and led to needle detachment during mesh leg placement.”

There are more than 1,000 pelvic mesh cases filed in Massachusetts naming Boston Scientific and 16,664 filed in federal court in Charleston West Virginia (here)

where 75,000 cases against seven manufacturers have been consolidated.

Boston Scientific along with C.R. Bard, Ethicon (Johnson & Johnson) Coloplast and Cook have been called to a status conference before Judge Joseph Goodwin June 2, 2015 to update any efforts to reach settlement in the outstanding product liability actions. See Judge Goodwin’s order here.  #

Learn More:

Drugwatch on Boston Scientific

1. anonymous says:

Prayer warriors unite now we all need to pray for the best resolution on these cases in favor of mesh victims. it doesn’t matter your company we are all women hurt badly by mesh. God is listening we only need to pray fill in the dates of these trials in beforehand please be in prayer for all of us that these trials go good for the victims

• We have fought so hard and still had to watch our love one’s die or take their life because of the pain our body is going through and NO PAIN pill even touch my pain, when can we say enough is enough !!! I say it’s time we get headline news and lawyers who are willing to FIGHT for what is right !! Why can we start marching around the factory of J&J Boston Scientific and since they are the largest we should start with them !!! I have lost my job my enjoyment of life, time with my family and I can never have sex with my husband ever again because of the infection inside me !!! and their piss poor excuse for a settlement should not go unknown !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT’S TIME FOR THEM TO PAY FOR WHAT THEY HAVE DONE TO US , So I am will to fight until my last breath !!!!

2. I’m Linda Karen Miller and was wondering if anything is ever going to be done about my case with Ethicon pelvic Mesh Sling and my Attorneys are Muller &Muller in Texas

3. ahmed says:

My name is Ahmed,i have been married to Robyn. She suffered from poor health while

we were together which caused her to do six surgical operations followed the main operation.

The main operation was removing her transvaginal mesh, but because of wrong doing in the operations room,

my wife had to go through a long treatment therapy and multiple surgeries which affected my life as well.

Supporting my wife during that time hurt me emotional and financial.

My wife had a sympathy with me and told me by e-mail that she will give me half of what she is getting as a compensation

from the wrong doing doctor case.

My wife recently denied any rights for me and broke her promis and i think i deserve some compensation for

the damages i have in my life…sincerely Ahmed //////

4. Lucy Loo says:

Why are we seeing two additional women going to trial for BS Pinnacle when the Bellwether was tried last November? I have Pinnacle and I am confused.

5. Bejah says:

I want to go to the trial in Los Angeles. Can anyone take me from Palm Springs? I will share expenses of course but I can not drive my car as it is non op right now. Thanks.

6. Karen says:

We need to know can the FDA become apart of my Vaginal Mesh Lawsuits ??????? The FDA has refused too RECALL, RECALL ,RECALL VAGINAL MESH PRODUCTS. THESE LAWSUITS WILL NEVER STOP!!!!! The FDA need to be added ASAP!!!!!!! BILLION DOLLAR CORPORATION SHOULD PAY US WOMEN BILLIONS DOLLARS!!!!!! Too much little million dollar settlements and CEO GOT A BONUS OF $ 25 MILLION FOR SLAUGHTERING WOMEN AND PROUD OF IT !!!!!!!!!!

• msm says:

Can’t sue the FDA, but Congress needs to investigate !

• Bejah says:

Congress is in large part bought and paid for by special interests. And if they have good intentions when elected they are so often pressured to get in line with the standard operating procedure once in office, not all but most. So I have come to feel that Congress is not an ally, not representative of the majority of the people and interested only in enriching themselves and feeling some of that power rubbing off on them. The puppeteers know this and give them enough to keep them in line, rather like the drug dealers they claim to combat when actually they are doing business with them. Case in point last week the story about the law enforcement officers in DC who were found to have been cavorting with prostitutes paid for by drug lords. It seems to me that corruption is more widespread now than at any time in this nations history and so imbedded that it is like a terminal cancer.

• Nani says:

Bejah,

I wish there were enough up-vote buttons in the world for your comment. It’s so sad, and so true…

7. K says:

There are very few bellwether trials set and at this rate it will take forever. I don’t get it! It’s not that hard to schedule something and stick to it. We all do it in our everyday lives. Companies couldn’t survive or make money if they operated the way this MDL is operating.

• Sandra says:

I understand your frustration however other manufacturers are starting to see that these trials are setting an example of what jurors are most likely to award to plantiffs. Boston Scientific is considering to settle! I’m pretty sure many will follow in time.

• Bejah says:

Dear K, Remember “A watched pot never boils”. Enjoy you life the best you can each day and know that your day will come.

8. K says:

Both May trials listed are state trials not bellwether trials. Those trials aren’t measuring what the cases are worth in the MDL. Where are the MDL bellweather trials?????????????????????????

The Sanchez case is a bellwether for sure because it was originally in Charleston WV. Check out the case number. Not sure about the other but believe it too is a bellwether…. am checking now. But Boston Sci will look at the jury verdict just same…. are these cases winnable? I can’t help but think why they would want to put injured women through that strain of a trial, it seems cruel….

• Bejah says:

Jane, IMHO the strain of a trial is nothing compared to what our people have been through and if the defendants are offering a pittance to us in settlement I would choose to go to trial. I do not think the defendants would want the possible exposure of a trial especially if we get our game going and are able to call out the media.I would also like to call for a demand that they stop selling these materials in the U.S. and every other country and indeed ceace manufacturing these “devices” until they have a proper protocol in place which means meeting strict FDA guidelines, conducting the appropriate studies on animal and human populations, etc.

• Lucy Loo says:

Jane, I thought the BS bellwether for Pinnacle happened last fall in Miami? I don’t get it.

• Nani says:

Lucy Loo,

The Judge picks multiple cases with similar products, since a jury is always different. If the cases all seem to lean the same direction, it really helps to show that BSC should be settling these cases.

9. Richard Howden aka All Meshed Up says:

Same questions, different MDL! I find it very interesting that the chemical make up of Surgical Mesh, Marlex as an example, was not allowed use in Court. That one little bit of information, brought to light in public view, would have begun the deathnell for PP mesh. Just the fact that the chemical company providing the resin for the Mesh Manufacturer includes a warning that the resin is not to be used in an implantable device should be the FIRST piece of evidence brought to any trial or MDL. That shows total disregard for the health and safety of the Patient who gets implanted with the material and yet, nothing is done. The FDA already knows this fact about the warning. Bruce Rosenberg has provided that little tid bit to them several years ago and we are still waiting for a response. That, my Friends, is your FDA working hard to make you safe. Jeez oh Pete!

And as far as the pace of the MDL’s that are as “quick as mollases in the winter time”, just wait until you are trying to get your settlement. These MDL’s are not set up with compassion for the Mesh Injured or with justice as it’s goal. It is to get as many Mesh Injured in and out of Court as quick as possible and without hurting the Manufacturer or its marketing of the Mesh that damaged you. If these MDL’s were designed for justice for the Mesh Injured, the amounts would be 10x greater and the Manufacture of the Mesh in question would be stopped and a recall would be accomplished. But Nooooooo! The Status Quo remains. The Manufacturer continues as they have. The FDA looks the other way as they get a payoff from the Manufacturers. And the Lawyers will start up another MDL. This is just a sick and sad situation.

And lastly, please note that with every case settled for millions of dollars there is an appeal that delays any Substantial Settlement to the Mesh Injured. I just wonder how many of the women we have read about getting a huge settlement has actually recieved a dime from the Courts? Jane, do you know?

Thanks again Jane, for all you do to bring all of this news to light. I don’t think you are told that quite enough.

Best Wishes………

10. Jane Akre says:

Meshed up… sitting in the Cisson case against Bard now a couple of years ago,,,, that was the very first piece of evidence Henry Garrard showed the jury…. the Material Data Safety Sheet and the clear warning AGAINST using the resin for a medical device, permanently implanted!!! AND then the emails among executives as to how they had to hide what they were doing… Roger Darois. Go to Mesh New and see the little search baron the upper right….I thought that evidence was shocking. Look Up Red Oaks, the dummy company they created to keep buying the resin for the mesh implants… or look up Darois.

These cases are worth revisiting to see the issues, better yet, come to a trial!! You will not be bored….

11. Richard Howden aka All Meshed Up says:

Tahnks Jane! I remember that trial and the evidence. I remember Bruce and I talking about this and both of us going through the roof when nothing was said or done. This small piece of info/evidence is mind blowing to any Mesh injured man or women. How would you feel if you found out that the material inside you was made from chemical NOT safe for human implant? And then find out that the Manufacturer’s not only knew about this but actually set up “shell” companies to hide it? And still, the FDA nor the DOJ will do anything about it.

Bruce and I have handed over 100’s of documents and correspondences that speciffically show that there is a concerted effort by the Manufacturers, with full knowledge of the FDA, to hide the chemical composition and to discredit and nullify any evidence thereof. We included misinformation as to the number of complaints, marketing brochures that do not mention the most common Mesh injuries and communications from “research” to “Sales” telling them to ignore the problems with their (J&J) Hernia Mesh. None of this made any impression what so ever with the Criminal Investigative Division of the FDA. It was at this time that I knew that what happened to me was more than just a bad Medical Device.

12. Richard Howden aka All Meshed Up says:

That’s THANKS Jane! Need another cup of coffee before I try typeing again! AAAAaaaaa! 😉

13. Bejah says:

Hi Jane and thank you yet again for your efforts and the education you provide for us. And, not to worry, maybe you will get a lifetime achievement award. There may even be an Academy Award in your future for that little film you are making. Better figure out who your favorite designer is!

14. Bejah says:

Johnson & Johnson website

I just wandered around their website. It seems to me a total fantasy and in such stark contrast to the truths we know. There was nothing on their calendars and I saw no mention of Stockholders meetings, only a bit about dividend increase. It made me sick. Can evil ever be benign?

15. justme says:

” And still, the FDA nor the DOJ will do anything about it.”

Send the same information to the head of the United States Heath and Human Services Division.

16. justme says:

Send the same information to the head of the United States Health and Human Services Division

Health not Heath

17. justme says:

Someone mentioned in comments under the new May article how nurses were possibly the eyes and ears of the hospital and see all and tell all. I re-posted my comment under this article as I think people have a right to know about their own information and where it goes and who is accessing it for financial gain. It is disgusting and heartbreaking.

For example: A young girl was doing her doctor rotation in the ER at a hospital last year, and because of her age and the education to young people in grammar, middle, high school and some colleges, she was a star student on the “War on Drugs”. Or was she? She had been taught for so many years that pain drugs were bad, and anyone who asked for pain drugs or who took them, must be a drug addict or user or dealer.

While seeing patients during her term, every single patient who came in for treatment and who said they were in pain, she would immediately write “drug seeker” across their chart. Even though she was not the attending doctor and she was only an intern, she labeled a lot of people for life. She took files home and looked people up on social media, looking for dirt on them.

Most average people know not to go to the hospital for pain, unless of course, you are really in pain. It is the last place to give pain meds, unless of course, you are really in pain.

The medical community is out of control in playing police and end up looking more like Inspector Gadget.

Interns ruining lives.

Doctors reporting patients for money and abusing power.

Doctors having their own staff locked up, doctors reporting each other to the police, not the medical board, but to the police to eliminate competition in their area and the list goes on and on….

It is out of control and no body cares.

Beware of your local pharmacy tech and pharmacist. It does not matter how long you have known them. You don’t really know any of them.

They are the biggest informant in your life. Even when they are wrong, they will still sell you down the river. and I don’t mean “sail”. And they are wrong, a lot.

Don’t talk to them or tell them anything that is not rx related. Mom & Pop’s (individual stores) are the worse. While the chains are bad, you have less chance of being violated than with the family owned stores.

Try & stay with a chain pharmacy if possible. Some of them (Tech’s and pharmacists) are really bad people and you would have no way of knowing this. Some get paid by selling your info from the state database, and they get paid by reporting you anonymously to police, and paid by medical records companies and clearing houses for your information, they get paid by the drug reps, and some may work for the mesh companies and may report what you say to them, and they will add notes to your files, and they will gossip about everything they see and hear.

Get off Facebook and social media if you want to get paid from your lawsuit. Informants will ruin your case and your life if you don’t protect yourself. This is big boy/girl stuff and you need to pay attention to your actions and surroundings.

Limit what you say to techs. Most are highly uneducated and can’t get a job any where else. They will use what little power they have against you and you should never argue with a pharmacy tech or pharmacist. They will have you locked up or get revenge on you or your family.

That is why the attorneys put the gag order in place. You can’t trust anyone. HIPAA means nothing to them. Who is going to tell on them? The police who are paying them for information? No. The companies and Mesh Pharmaceuticals? No. The doctors who use them as much as they use the doctors? No.

No one will tell on them as it is a win win situation. Big money is involved and doctors are also a part of this most disingenuous action against medical patients. Anonymous Tips is the most abused program in this country. Even police report people to get paid and no one is the wiser. It is sickening.

All about the Benjamin’s.

• Bejah says:

I agree with most of what you say and have experienced really inappropriate conduct on the part of both some physicians and their staff. Personally I have never had a problem with pharmacies but it is doubtful that they would be exempt from the paranoia that surrounds the prescribing of controlled substances. The problem is ours also, as “the people” because the citizens of this country and I assume many others, have been and continue to abuse drugs and often imperil the well being of their own children. I think we all bear some responsibility including the Fed and law enforcement. I have a strong relationship built on trust with my pharmacy and with my pain management doctor and I work hard to protect it. What you have said is important and needs to be considered seriously. Although we should guard against excessive paranoia we should also remember what Mulder famously said, “Trust no one”. 🙂

• Lucy Loo says:

I think your comments sound paranoid. There are many in pain, as most of us are, but there is also a HUGE prescription drug problem in this country. Having been an “uneducated” tech — huge insult by the way– you know very little. You know nothing of the amount of trust placed upon technicians, and how much they really do. Personally, I was a pharm tech many years ago in both hospital and retail settings, and I can honestly say that I was so busy that I had little time to care who was an abuser. Moreover, I think it is safe to say there are good and bad in all walks of life, but to group all doctors, nursers, and pharmacist/techs as bad is unfair, and you lose credibility by doing so. One last note, Pharmacy Technicians are required to take a state certification and DO require education.

18. Richard Howden aka All Meshed Up says:

To JUSTME: Although I would agree with you about Facebook and other social media venue’s, it must be difficult for you to go about your normal day without thinking the person beside you, is informing on you.

Social media is a way for anyone to learn about your private life. Whether it is concerning Mesh problems or your latest pics from your backyard pool party, there are many people out there that do not have your best interests at heart. It is also true that it is quite easy for the Mesh Manufacturer’s and their Lawyers to identify you through many of these sites. The Statute of Limitations for your State starts when it can be proven that you knew about your Mesh problem. If you can be identified through one of these sites, your clock is ticking the moment you come on to ask questions or make a comment. Also, your life style can be away for a Defendents Lawyer to attack your honesty about your Mesh injuries. Your looking pretty active and happy at the pool party in your backyard! You can’t be that sick and injured can you, if your playing with the kids or such? And that is what can happen if you are showing the world your private life on Social Media. It has also been proven that thieves watch these sites to identify people going on vacation or extended travel. Please be careful and protect yourself if you are indeed participateing in an MDL or Lawsuit against the Manufacturers and post on Social Media.

Best Wishes………

• Bejah says:

That is why I do not “do” Facebook or any ot the other social media sites. Even organizations that are professional and ways for people in a given profession to link will go to these websites like Facebook and suck up information about you there and make it all available to anyone with a few dollars. What worries me is that people love to tell the world about their lives and it is natural, we are social beings, but we need to establish boundries and maintain them. RIchard is right. Data miners love the social media sites, and so do those with unscrupulous intentions.Especially if you are involved in litigation like this you should take down or empty your social media pages. And it is best to take care where sharing information about your case is concerned.

19. Bejah says:

Just in case anyone is interested I came across this today…

Client Alert January 22, 2015

Supreme Court Clarifies Timing of Appeals in MDL Cases

On January 21, 2015, the U.S. Supreme Court announced the definitive rule governing the timing of appeals from a multidistrict litigation proceeding (MDL). The Court held that plaintiffs in actions centralized in an MDL whose entire cases are dismissed have an immediate right of appeal, even if other cases in the MDL remain pending. The decision, Gelboim v. Bank of America Corp., eliminates a source of uncertainty about the timing of appeals in the MDL context, while leaving intact a split within the federal courts of appeals on when appeals may be taken from other types of consolidated cases. Because the Court’s decision likely will affect pending cases as well as future ones, it is also possible that some now-pending MDL appeals will be deemed untimely under the Court’s decision. (see the rest at:

20. justme says:

“I agree with most of what you say and have experienced really inappropriate conduct on the part of both some physicians and their staff. Personally I have never had a problem with pharmacies but it is doubtful that they would be exempt from the paranoia that surrounds the prescribing of controlled substances. The problem is ours also, as “the people” because the citizens of this country and I assume many others, have been and continue to abuse drugs and often imperil the well being of their own children. I think we all bear some responsibility including the Fed and law enforcement. I have a strong relationship built on trust with my pharmacy and with my pain management doctor and I work hard to protect it. What you have said is important and needs to be considered seriously. Although we should guard against excessive paranoia we should also remember what Mulder famously said, “Trust no one”

_________________________

It is not about me, it is about what I have learned. They are doing it, reporting patients. And it is both pharmacies and doctors. And it is for money they receive by filing anonymous. It is a nice 2nd job that pays really well from the government. Sit at a computer, collect data, send anonymous tip, and receive a check.

21. msm says:

In reference to “justme”‘s comments:

You are absolutely correct. With the advent of requirements for physicians, pharmacists, insurance companies, and health departments to coordinate and share databases of prescriptions, physicians, and patients, the chances of incorrect and/or misinterpreted information is extremely high.

One example:

There is a push for patients to dispose of unused medications but there is no accounting for this. If a patient is prescribed 30 tablets of a controlled substance after surgery, used 6 tablets and disposed of the remainder, the “drug database” still shows that the patient received 30 tablets. If the patient has multiple procedures and follows the recommendations or disposing of unused medications (esp. if children are in the home), they could get flagged as an abuser. The most unfair part is that the patient will not know it until they are refused a prescription by a pharmacist or informed by a physician that they are a “drug seeker”. Patients have no way to look up their record to see if the record is correct or to see if someone is using their information to fraudulently receive drugs or filing false claims for profit.

The same goes for electronic health records (EHRs). No patient knows how many different systems their records are in as some systems “talk” to each other while others don’t. There is no way to see who has been accessing your record(s). Is it a physician involved in your case? Is it someone in charge of billing? Or is it someone who is providing data to outside sources for profit? Perhaps a med student trying to pay off loans or a worker with a huge amount of debt. Is it an unscrupulous medical professional who just wants the money?

A record with a name, address, and financial information is worth about 50 cents. The same record plus the Social Security number is worth about 75 cents. How much is a medical record worth? About $1000 dollars. It will be sold in minutes and may be sold multiple times.

Why is it worth so much? A medical record contains everything the other records have plus your personal characteristics, diagnoses, treatments, tests, chronic conditions, etc. This information is easily used to file false claims which is highly lucrative and difficult to detect until it is too late. Add in the other identity theft damage that will be done and it is catastrophic to you and can take years, if not decades, to get your life back under your control.

There are no standards for the EHR systems. No standards for the information recorded (except minimums), no standard for the systems to be linked for continuity and accuracy, no requirement to trust the patient over the EHR, and worst of all NO STANDARD FOR SECURITY !

In this country, we are reactive to security breaches. We must be proactive if citizens of this country are valued at all as individuals who deserve respect and an assumption of privacy. HIPAA is out the window. Records are exchanged at will in these systems without your knowledge or permission. It is unfair, unjust, and should be illegal. It is easier to check your credit report and who has been accessing it than your medical records.

As for social media, there is no control over the way your data and photos can be used by anyone in any country at any time. Where and how will the photos of your children be used? 20 years down the road, will their photos and comments be used to discriminate against or otherwise harm them?

Public records are the last area I will rant about. Ever has a traffic ticket? Even a parking ticket? A marriage license? A divorce or separation? Your wise and protective government has posted it on the Internet for all to see. This is under the Freedom Of Information Act that was supposed to help American citizens understand and monitor the functions of governmental agencies. Instead, it has been turned around to violate every citizens privacy.

While a written request is required for most specific information of an agency, electronic “reading rooms” have been set up for our personal “public records”. The old system had public records, but they had to be requested or sought out in “brick and mortar” facilities. A reason needed to be listed and the requester’s information was recorded (at least their name). Now anyone with a computer in any country has full and free access.

Cell phone apps are another way of spreading your information all over the world. I’m not referring to the NSA that has a vested interest in protecting its tax payers against terrorism and the overthrowing of the government. I’m referring to “free” apps asking for all sorts of access and permission from your phone. Everything from your camera, photos, stored data, call information, location, personal data, network information, web history, even passwords. People install them without even looking. Even apps that look to be safe at installation can change their access when they are upgraded which is usually set to be done automatically (bad choice).

Have you used a financial app? A medical communication app from your hospital or doctor’s office? What about a health or fitness monitoring app? More warnings about this are coming out in the media but people aren’t listening. They just want to play and communicate for “free” not knowing that the author of the app may be anywhere in the world collecting everything you do. Looked at your apps lately?

Your email is not private to you but is owned by the provider. Check their privacy terms and conditions. They can change at anytime at their will. You can delete it but it is still on their servers. Try personal, face to face conversations with the phone OFF ! Try a photo album or a non-networked digital album. When was the last time you wrote a letter?

So, yes, a healthy degree of paranoia is good at this time when the knowledge of how our information is stored, exposed, and extorted is in question. It is a matter of self-preservation.

Thus ends my rant.

• msm says:

So, I didn’t end my rant at public records as promised. Sorry. I was on a roll.

Sounds like the early days of plastics as a result of the petrochemical industry. everyone loved plastics. Remember that scene from “The Graduate”… now we find they are not so biocompatible and our embrace without scrutiny is to our detriment. When we start looking at the environmental causes of cancer from plastics, petroleum based products, chemicals etc… then we are in a war against cancer! Same thing with our privacy……

• Bejah says:

MSM, Excellent rant as rants go. Thank you.

Bejah

I have always thought is disturbing that anyone evidently can go to Ancestry.com, the Mormons Geneological website and get anyone’s social security number. I complained about this many years ago and never even received a cursory reply. And I really do not think the country does care about its citizens as individuals any longer. I like to think it once did. I remember sometimes being in the 6th grade, in class in late spring, the sun streaming in the windows, and the flag…looking at the flag and saying the pledge of allegience, my breast swollen with pride. That innocent love of country has been taken from me. I no longer feel that way. It is like trying to remember the last day you played with toys…it is lost in the mists of time. I remember only that it was lovely. Was it an allusion even then? When the recently purchased documents from the time of the foundation of our nation were hung in the Oval office I was sick, I felt they should have been placed in the Library of Congress because they are our documents, they belong to the people and certainly not to any individual or entity that has betrayed them or dishonored them.

22. Justme says:

Plastics cause cancer. The dinners people buy in the frozen food section, and meat section of the grocery store, and then heat in the microwave are the most dangerous forms of plastic. Oncologists warn their cancer patients not to eat from those containers, ever. Heat causes plastic to melt and the fumes are bad. That is going directly back into the food you eat.

Plastic bottles harbor a form of bacteria that can cause illness. The manufacturer of water bottles tell consumers not to re-use, but how safe are they at all?

• Bejah says:

Avoid plastic when you can. Do what you can. Buy milk in something other than plastic if you can. Buy the container at the back of the shelf so it has not been exposed to the neon (or what ever it is called) overhead lighting, and refrigerator aisle lighting in stores because it leeches out the vitimans and is otherwise bad for us. Wash your food. Certain produce is more exposed to pesticides than others, and some food should be purchased organic. An example is strawberries. Do not ever buy pre packaged food esp. if it has to be microwaved. Always stand at least four feet from the microwave when cooking, better yet, leave the room. Try to have raised beds put in and grow some of your own food. It is fun and a good family effort. When my children were little we had a plot in a community garden in Venice (Beach), CA and my son especially loved it. We need to get back to small family farms, local dairys. They used to even come to your house with your order. Buy chickens and eggs from your neighbors down the road and revitalize small towns. Try to shop at small businesses if you can. It what you want costs a dollar or two more than at Home Depot it is worth it because you are voting for the real Amereica, the one we the people fight for, the one we want our children to grow up in. These kinds of movements constitute taking back our nation and the end of the rape of our people buy mega corporations.

23. Justme says:

There are no checks and balances within the government. The DEA and FDA can’t get along. The Narcotics database is for lazy law enforcement officers. It is out of control with any civilian or medical person able to look you up on a whim. And some are getting jobs at the pharmacy to do just that. It is too easy.

They target ex husbands, ex boyfriends, new wives, people from high school. People who they think did them wrong, and the ones who want to play police, and of course the ones who just want the thousands of dollars paid by crime stoppers for each case.

The DA gets to brag about the high number of convictions they get each year, but fail to mention 80% were plea deals. The pharmacy can say look how good we are to the DEA and State Narcotics Board, and the Doctors are all into playing police and getting paid.

Doctors, their staff, nor pharmacies, including the $7, an hour pharmacy tech, have no accountability. No one to watch over the flock so to speak. Anyone who has access to a computer at a doctors office, dentist office, or pharmacy can look you up on the government websites, the database, and collect any information they want to sell for personal gain. No one is going to question them as to why they accessed your insurance records, or medical records, or the state database. It is all out of control. And they are all using it as a weapon to collect money, ruin lives, send people to jail and for self gratification of using what power they have against patients. It really is sad.

In Massachusetts, at a large well known hospital, when the state database opened (not exactly sure of exact date it opened), the nurses became so excited to look up people they knew, they forgot themselves.

One head nurse sat down at the computer, had a cell phone on her shoulder, and the desk phone on her other shoulder, and was tying in names as fast as she could. She was talking to several people on both phones at one time on conference call. She became so excited, she reached in her purse and grabbed a cigarette and lit up right there at the desk, which is a major no no and illegal around oxygen. Someone had to verbally call her out and ask her “wtf are you doing?”

Like anything else, the state database became a new weapon to use against patients for countless reasons. Mostly used now to make money. And the way records can be altered without you knowing is scary.

Doctors have a private network unbeknownst to patients where they write terrible, personal comments about patients, and only doctors can see it. The patient is not allowed to have a copy of those records. They WILL lie on you.

And I write all of this, because many can’t understand why mesh danger is not important to the government right now. It is not a money maker. if it does not generate revenue, no one cares.

24. Justme says:

One last thing…You are being verbally recorded most every time you visit your doctors office or hospital. The doctor may use a recorder on his/her body iside that little white coat, and the ones who do record, sends the tape to a transcriber to translate.

Some doctors also use video recordings.

Did any doctor you have ever seen ever tell you that?

There is no doctor patient privilege anymore. Really read the forms you sign. One of the forms states, “they will sell your information, and or share your information with ____ and ___ and ___ and ___. And if you refuse to sign the form, they will dismiss you.

• Bejah says:

JM- I thought it was illegal to record someone without first telling them that you intend to do that. They then can decide if they want to allow it. Are you sure about this or is something you suspect is taking place. We need proof, witnesses, admissions, etc. Hearsay is not going to help up. Anyway it would not be admissible in court.

25. Justme says:

Blackmail

26. Barb says:

I’m confused!! I thought the purpose of having an MDL case is that we don’t step in a courtroom and cases are settled out of court. These bellwether cases my understanding are manufacturer’s not taking and settling out of court they are only setting an example of woman who have similar injuries. Can someone tell me more about these MDL appeals, why are these happening.

• Bejah says:

Barb, I think the Bellweather cases give the court a sense of how a jury will respond regarding a certain issue and of course if there are hundreds or thousands of cases grouping them together in a MDL helps move them through the courts faster, in theory anyway. I am still trying to understand all of this and have downloaded several articles to read to help me be better informed. One problem I have with the Bellweather method is that the jury has had no exposure to news about this matter because the defendants have control of the press (and the courts I now believe). Sometimes the mood of the nation effects how a jury will process information. There are, I expect, many variables. The defendants will want jurors who are not very bright, who supports free enterprise, industry, never questions authority, and wants to do his job then go home and have a beer. They do not want jurors who are politically engaged, consider themselves citizens of the world in terms of responsibility for the environment, geo-politics and sustainable development. The defendants in our cases want settlement where the alternative is a trial because there is less cost, less exposure and going to trial generally takes time. It also seems like the judge in these MDL trials, the Honorable Joseph Goodwith, is pressuring the defendants to settle. Evidently some are resisting hoping they will find a way to discredit or dismiss on a technicality more cases, and even deliberately wait/delay hoping that more plaintiffs will pass away reducing the value of their case considerably. My comments should be considered hearsay until confirmed by one more knowledgable.

• Barb says:

Thank you for the information! Yes just confirmed that these bellwether trials are setting an example of what jurors most likely to award for others who have similar damages. Agree about the beer have to through a little humor!! I think that would be really hard to get a bias jury…………….between media and T.V which by now even I’m getting sick and tired however the commercials don’t seem to be every hour by the hour!! When I spoke to my attorney they said NOT to listen to what is being posted as far as the money issues. And I did find out that for those of us on Disability for a different reason that will not be effected, on that note a very pi##^% off information medicare/mainecare/medicade will know how much money each of us receive therefore yes being paid back and then we are left with no insurance!! The settlement will be ONE LUMP SUM!! We will never be able to go after them again. Taking away insurance from people is going to be hard and unfair especially I will bet 75% of us will have a lifetime of medical expenses and not to mention the medication!! BEJAH I’m with you I become more confused daily however listening to my attorney is what I;m doing, I hope you do the same. Who was it who put us in Tiers?? I think that was a bad idea it had mentioned noting about having 2 defective devices, I think we all will find that the Special Master may have difficult times placing monies on what the situations arise.

• Bejah says:

Hi Barb, I have a couple of questions for you. You say those getting settlements will get one lump sum, one big ole’ check, ha! That is not my understanding. I remain under the impression that we will, if we are fortunate, receive one initial check from the subcontractor who handles distribution for your counsel, and then smaller checks of equal size each year after that for a number of years (I will guess ten – twenty years). Is that not so? Also you mentioned Medicare. I have Medicare as primary these days and I have no indication that will change, only that they will seek to be reimbursed for monies paid for my medical care related to the mesh implantation and after care (such as it is or is not). Your Medicare will not be cancelled if you are thinking that. It may be that Medicare will not cover explant surgery which is simply put immoral IMHO. The commercials may be winding down because of the statutes, I do not know. It would really irritate me if my attorney told me what to read and listen to or watch. Ignore him or her and do what you want to. Just do not talk about your case.

Take care, Bejah

• anonymous says:

You don’t have to take payments you can get I be payment however as with the lottery you may have to agree to a lower amount

• msm says:

It all depends on the settlement or judgment and the needs of the individual.

Because it is still an indication of the cases worth. Even if it settles on the eve of going to the jury, it still tells both sides that this case was unwinnable by the defense.

27. Jane R. says:

It was already decided that the Boston Scientific Obtryx device was not a viable product and caused damage. So why would BS offer to settle for such low amounts when it’s already been proven defective.

28. Kim says:

$119 million for 2,970 cases. Correct me if I’m wrong but it looks like BS will try to settle for around 40K per case.

• Barb says:

What you have to realize Kim and so many of us have been so miss informed is the MONEY IS NOT SPLIT BETWEEN EVERY CASE!! Your case is awarded monies based on how strong the information has been proved for you injuries!! There is no split of money!! RE: example I will use, If a woman has a defective product has had no revision no other injuries then she would get less then a woman who has had 1 revision with more issues related!! Be your own advocate, I know we are all getting tired, have very few people we can actually confide in (DOCTOR) So much feelings of hopelessness, depression fears as the list goes on, however keep the faith, keep fighting, keep seeking medical help!! Alway’s get more opinions for after seeing 2 PCP 2 specialist, now on 5th Doctor specialist there were things found that should have been found before!!

• Bejah says:

Barb, and let us not forget that in addition to what you have mentioned, one’s case is also worth less if:

1. They are a woman (Had to say that)

2. One is an older woman, the older we are the less we are worth

3. We are not longer working

4. We are no longer raising the next generation of workers for the state

5. We are “troublemakers” ????

I wonder if strippers and ladies of the evening can cut a deal with the judge at this level. My husband (ex) had a friend who was a judge in a local township and he cut deals like that all the time. The women were excused if they did the judge a personal favor, ahemmmm.

• msm says:

All money is split in some way. Every group (often clients of the same firm or group of firms) that is offered a settlement will “split” the money, though not necessarily equally (unless their cases are that similar). In an MDL, every case is an individual case and that individual has the right to accept or reject any settlement, request a jury trial, drop their case, hire a different attorney, or whatever they choose.

However, attorneys with multiple clients who are working on settlements are negotiating in terms of groups (or tiers) of their clients who have similar injuries from products of a specific manufacturer. Clients with exceptional injuries who do not fit into any group, category, tier, etc. will likely be negotiated individually. If you think your attorney is sitting down and negotiating a settlement for your case, and your case only, then your attorney has very few clients, your case is exceptional, or you’re delusional.

The cases with no settlement agreement are grouped into “waves” of similar cases to reduce redundant depositions, etc. That’s the main purpose of the MDL. If you’re curious, look at the court orders and minutes under your MDL.

To contrast with a “class action”, the “class” or group acts as one plaintiff represented by counsel in one proceeding. Every member of the class action gets an equal share of the settlement or award regardless of their injuries or loss. If your case is listed as part of an MDL then it is NOT a class action and your case ultimately stands on its own merit. To my knowledge, there are no class actions involving transvaginal mesh. A class action for mesh would be a very bad idea.

• Barb says:

Yes you are right! In an MDL other’s who have similar injuries that’s why the attorney’s are putting our cases in certain category’s will be awarded similar settlements! Glad it’s NOT a class action nor are we required to go to court!

29. stopmeshimplants says:

Praying that these trials go well for the plaintiffs. We all know the hell they have gone through so far. I still have to believe these trials will bring out the truth and that someday everyone will understand how our lives were forever harmed by this mesh. I don’t care if they are trials at the state level or in Judge Goodwin’s courtroom. The truth will be told and plaintiffs will feel the support from all of us. And it would be a bonus if there was more coverage from any media source. Be sure to thank the journalist if you see any coverage. It makes a difference.

• Bejah says:

Dear SMI, Throughout human history the story of humanity has been rewritten so many times I wonder what the truth really is. We destroy eachother, we destroy history and even art and architecture attempting to erase one civilization and replace it with another and there is no sign this will ever stop. If some of us, most of us, any of us receive fair treatment I think it will be a miracle. Having said that, miracles do happen. I do believe in miracles. My faith demands it.

I do not expect much of this justice system or the outcome of these cases when considered as a whole. I do not think this judge cares about you or the overarching issues. I think his orders are to “Move ’em out” and that is what he is attempting to do. I saw him sustain objections brought forth by the defense repeatedly. I did not see the objectivity in him that I hoped for. I have personally lost faith in just about everything. Still hope remains like an insistent sweet light in the darkness.

• stopmeshimplants says:

Dear Bejah,

I guess I am waiting for all those miracles. I appreciate all of your comments on this site! Take good care.

30. Justme says:

Anyway it would not be admissible in court. YES IT IS!!!!!!!!!

NO, THEY DON’T TELL PATIENTS AND YES THEY DO RECORD. ASK THEM!

• MS says:

Justme, does this apply to those in the clinic setting or also hospitalists and ER doctors? Similar to Bejah, I thought it was considered unethical to record without informing the patient and that information taped without consent was not admissible in court. Is it that a doctor can record without the patient’s knowledge but the patient can’t record without the doctor’s? One would think laws are in place for this.

There are laws in place for surreptitious recording. Look up whether your state is a two party or one party state. There are exceptions too… are you in a public place where there is no expectation of privacy?

31. MS says:

Hi Jane. According to several online sources, there are only a dozen two-party states. Does this mean it is legal for doctors in all one-party states to record patients without their knowledge or permission? And vice versa–patients recording doctors? These recordings would then be allowed in court, correct?

32. MS says:

Some sources state there are eleven two-party consent states. Others mention twelve–not many either way. Prior to the mentionings here, I didn’t think of recordings. Good discussion and something we all should be aware of I suppose.

• Bejah says:

Indeed! Can someone list the states in question for all of us. Thanks for this interesting “Thread”.

33. stopmeshimplants says:

I must tell you I was shocked when I received the doctor notes from my implanting physicans office when my symptoms began. They introduced a student who acted as the scribe making it look very official. The notes that I received never mentioned they felt the mesh. Instead, they called the mesh “a ridge” and offered to excise it in the office the next day. There was no mention of the nurse practioner telling me about mesh complications while everyone else was out of the room. That woman probably saved my life. The notes glossed over every symptom I shared. So if you were to read the notes in my file you would think I had no issues. Thank goodness for Jane and her research way back then. I scoured the internet and knew to go get additional opinions. Thankfully those opinions led me to surgeons who did the best they could and did not lie in the records. My suggestion to all of you is read everything and make notes on the discrepencies because there will be lots of them.

• Bejah says:

Thanks MSI, This needed and bears repeating especially for our people I fear as so much weighs on their minds. I have found this to be true in my personal experience also. We need to remember that hospitals are a business. Sadly it is best if we assume the worst from now on. If it turns out we are wrong in some instances that is wonderful but we can not risk blind trust, not anymore. If your physician thinks you should only speak if spoken to and resents questions find a new doctor if you can. So I agree with you wholeheartedly. I wonder what the reaction would be if we asked nonchalantly (sp?) if we might tape the session (while getting out our recording insturments). It would also be interesting I think to tape without asking just for my own information, to go home and listen again, paying attention to tone of voice, etc. How about taping conversations with our attorneys? We could play “secret agent”. May as well have a little fun while we can.

34. Lucy Loo says:

Any updates on the Pinnacle trial in LA?

35. Lucy Loo says:

Jane, Can mesh companies access the names of us who follow you on fb? Thanks.

• Nani says:

Lucy Loo – Yes…Presume that anything you type online can be found by the mesh companies. Not just on Facebook. That’s why it’s so important to avoid violating the terms of a settlement agreement for those ladies who accepted one. As sad as it is, the Internet is available to anyone.

• Lucy Loo says:

I agree, I post nothing about me on social media; however, I do have an account. Just curious.

If you sign your name on facebook AND they are a member/friend of MND they can find you on FB. We try to monitor who is approved and only approve those who appear to be real people. There is nothing private about FAacebook. I do not give anyone your private email addresses and would not!!! If you sign anonymously, no one will know who you are. that does not mean you let your guard down. If I was subpoenaed to turn over your names I would still not do, however you can be jailed until you turn over the info.

• Lucy Loo says:

Thanks, Jane. I am extremely careful and never comment on fb concerning mesh. Thanks for all that you do, and I hope you are feeling better.

• Bejah says:

Jane, I know you would never reveal our names or personal information under penalty of death, even if they shipped you off to ISIS or North Korea, never would you speak. I can only hope that I would not either but we do not really know what we would do in a crises until it is upon us. You have already been tested by the GODs and you have been found to be pure of heart.

On Personal Expression

Personally I think it best to withdraw from all social media. Inventions have a way of regressing to the lowest possible denominator. We can expect personal rights to be attacked in the coming years, freedom of speech, freedom of the press and assembly, all of it. The garish banner of national security, of homeland security will be raised and has already many times but each time the price the people pay is higher.

In part I expect this is the norm for them to supponea such information but I also think their intention is to discect and use it, create false truths. If you have money and power you can create almost everything.

Where ever you are test your freedoms, the ones you take for granted, forget about, ignore. See what the response it. We only really know where that wall is when we reach it and attempt to scale it.

In this matter of gross negligence in the development, research, marketing and implanting of this mesh in human beings all we can do is file an action against the offending organizations, try to bring it to the attention of policy makers in Washington, engage in a word-of-mouth and grass roots effort to educate the public, try to find good doctors who are well trained and capable of helping us to explant this toxic material that is inappropriate for human beings, and indeed probably incompatible with life. We can protest on the street, we can distribute flyers, bumper stickers, hand out information packets to women in doctors offices waiting to discuss this procedure. There is much that we can do. But we must be organized, we must reach out to each other and not shut out the world and hide behind closed doors and just think about ourselves, our personal cases. If you would like to go to an event like the protest planned for June 2 (Is this correct date?) may I suggest wearing a mask. Actually this could be VERY effective. Think of the masks we could wear. The painting “The Scream” comes to mind. There are many others. Even if the evil doers are filming they will not be able to ID you if you are wearing a mask and obscure clothing. There is also the mask from the film (French?) “V”, not the SciFi one.

36. msm says:

One leading manufacturer now lists allergy to polypropylene(PP) in their updated 2014 IFU.

“Do not implant [ model name omitted ] in patients with known sensitivity or allergy to

polypropylene mesh products.”

This was not included in their 2009 IFU.

Allergens that touch the skin can cause a skin rash, hives, itching, blisters, or skin peeling. Repeated exposure to some substances can cause an “acquired” allergy. One example is seen with Latex allergy in medical professionals after repeated exposure to gloves and other latex products.

This makes one wonder if PP can cause an allergic reaction after repeated exposure as would occur with implanted mesh products. The reaction might not occur in all cases.

Interesting questions arise…

Could an allergic reaction account for the percentage of mesh recipients who do not experience problems with erosion, extrusion, etc. while others experience nothing but trouble?

If a common allergic reaction from contact with an allergen is itching, blisters, or skin peeling, might that weaken tissues around the implanted allergen making those tissues highly susceptible to erosion?

What does the body do with an allergen it can’t rid itself of?

Could the body start to attack its own tissue as with an autoimmune response?

Could the recognition of PP allergy/sensitivity finally be acknowledged by the medical community?

Some will kick and scream when their “gold standard” and “cash cow” is threatened by manufacturers themselves. Others (the true healers) will recognize that the risks associated with mesh outweigh the benefits.

• Bejah says:

And if other substances are introduced into the body, what then? What do we know of possible interactions. I expect thee is not a good database to date that we can consult. Is anyone creating one, any discussion of studies yet? Why?

Bejah

It’s really important that you saw this. Is there a test for PP allergenicity? Of course not. Is it applied? of course not.

• msm says:

I didn’t buy the whole article, but it is about a delayed reaction from PP suture.

While the reaction is described this as “rare” and a suture can be dug out and removed (though not necessarily easily), mesh is designed to be permanent. SO, if this reaction occurs, the patient is just out of luck ? Or they have to seek out a “rare” specialist to try to remove it entirely (if possible)? Was there testing to measure the possibility of a reaction from the amount of PP in mesh (as opposed to a suture)? Or was an assumption made? I think we’ve heard that argued in court in the plaintiff’s favor. There was no testing of the possibility of an acquired allergy/sensitivity considering the constant contact with PP? It happens with latex and other substances. No testing. The point was to rush it to market and the FDA allowed it predicated on PP sutures.

Shameful and ethical to say the least. Just my opinion.

37. janet says:

Just read the article regarding Boston scientific Sanchez case…sad,sad,sad on Boston scientific. Slapping appeals just to keep this in the court’s and make us women keep on suffering. .judge Goodwin, this manufacturer needs to stop..we all deserve to have a great outcome. .Wr were not asked if we wanted to be butchered by this product. .Boston new there mesh was know good. .

They have known since there first mesh product that it should not be implanted in woman..

Why is this manufacturer wanting to keep on butchered us ..when is it going to be enough..that CEO of that company needs to be fired. .they need to take anyone that had there hands in this product out of there company. ..this is wrong what they have done to us…

We will never be the same ,,we will always have severe issues of the vaginal wall, bladder, and infections because of there product. .

But yet knowing they have butchered us like they have ..this company still wants to keep hurting us even more…

When will they step up and stop hurting us more and more and settle there cases caused by them this bad mesh and let us move on with our lifes…

Please help us judge Goodwin

And I just want to thank jane again for being there for us women. .she is our insight..when known one else would tell us anything. ..she has given us the faith in you judge Goodwin to keep our fight and make them come clean for making us suffer longer …

Once again thank you

38. Toni says:

I just had a discussion with my 72 yr old mother who is in better shape physically than I am. I am going to have surgery next weekend for explant with Dr Veronikis in St Louis. Then as soon as I can travel my Mom will drive me to Kentucky to my brothers place which is closer than were I live for recovery. I asked my Mom to take me to West Virginia for this big meeting on the 2nd. She said well you don’t need that you wont be in any shape to travel. Well its about 2 1/2 hours but I do need and want to be there. It is all of us saying what difference will it make that allows this to be swept under the rug. We need to stand up together or we will all be swept under the rug hush hush money and corp will win we will be just ginea pigs for there corp greed and they will continue to harm more and more women if nothing is done to right the wrong that has been done. I sit here on pain killers but I am not dead yet. I will however go to my grave before I except some settlement and allow them to get away with this injustice that has been perpetraited unknowingly on all of us including men and hernia mesh.