Judge Goodwin Predicts Rocky Path if Pelvic Mesh Cases Don’t Settle

judge mallet 200Mesh News Desk, February 6, 2015 ~ “This is the rocky path,” Judge Joseph Goodwin forecast to a full courtroom Thursday and Friday, if there are not settlements forthcoming among the 72,000 pelvic mesh cases consolidated in his Charleston, West Virginia federal courtroom.

The federal judge wants faster action in bringing the thousands of product liability lawsuits to resolution and said “I’m going to kick it into high gear and ask that you do the same,” reports Reuters.

Judge Joseph Goodwin

Judge Joseph Goodwin

In attendance were lawyers for both plaintiffs and defendant mesh manufacturers, executives, risk managers and settlement teams who had been called to a mandatory gathering of both sides involved in pelvic mesh litigation. Knowing there is no way the courts can possibly try every single lawsuit filed, Judge Goodwin promised cases will be set for trial, there will be no delays, no excuses and there will be an increased number of resolutions.

Judge Goodwin has received support from the Fourth Circuit which has assigned him three additional law clerks so they can keep up with the fast-tracked paperwork.   The rulings will be fair and the deadlines will be firm, he promises.  Lawyers from both sides will need to manage their conflicts.

So far defendant companies- Ethicon (Johnson & Johnson), Boston Scientific and C.R. Bard have faced millions in losses at trial, most recently a $73 million verdict for a woman implanted with a pelvic mesh made by Boston Scientific. The women claim permanent pelvic injuries from defectively designed mesh implants used to reinforce pelvic organs.

The corporations still claim their devices are safe and effective even as they quietly remove them from market (Prolift, Pinnacle) and secretly settle cases.

Reuters reports lawyers for three companies said they are ready to prepare hundreds of cases for trial.

Representatives from each defendant corporation reported their progress to Judge Goodwin. Held up as an example is American Medical Systems, purchased by Endo International, which has set aside up to $1.6 billion to settle 20,000 pelvic mesh lawsuits.

Danish company Coloplast A/S has also settled a substantial chunk of the nearly 2,000 mesh lawsuits it is facing. Cook Medical says it is ready to go to trial over its cases.

Cases will be consolidated according to liability and/or damages and you can expect to see multiple plaintiffs in one courtroom as happened last November in two trials – one federal case in Miami and another one in Charleston. Plaintiffs were successful in both trials. Four plaintiffs implanted with the Boston Scientific Pinnacle mesh were awarded $26.7 million  while $18.5 million went to four women injured by the Boston Scientific Obtryx mesh .

After court Thursday, there was a mandated social gathering paid by each side inside the courthouse and attended by about 100. The purpose was transparent- get both sides talking and for about two hours that is what they did.

By Friday, Judge Goodwin had representatives from each MDL meeting privately in his chambers including lawyers, executives and risk managers. #

1. stopmeshimplants says:

I for one would love to go to trial with another woman or several women who have experienced similar mesh complications. I believe this is just what we want. We want the jurors to hear that these complications and excruciating pain issues are constant for all of us no matter our sizes, shapes or previous health issues. This mesh has failed every one of us and someone needs to step up and realize there are too many of us to mess with for these trials to continue. Let the jurors hear the similarities to our stories and have them piece together the truth. The truth is mesh kits are bad and we all know it. I say bring on the trials for every last one of us!

• Ronald James says:

I live in Charleston, wv and my mother who is 78 is a plaintiff in the J&J lawsuits. If the jerks defending these killers and thieves will not do a decent settlement then we would join you. I can attend all proceedings, since I’m disabled and will not let this go unpunished. So if you are wanting others to join you, count us in.

• Linda says:

great and thanks for being a family member that continues to care.

Too bad you weren’t there for the open court proceedings Thursday Ronald. You could have looked corporate execs right in the eye. The court was open to the public Thursday. No media attended except Reuters apparently.

• Ronald James says:

Jane, I talk to my mothers lawyer today and he told me that if a settlement is made he would strongly suggest that she accept it. Now that worries me. I’ve talked to my mother and told her if the offer is small she should turn it down and then fire her lawyer and hire a local law firm. She and my sister pic this fiuem from an ad and I’ve had my doubt’s. They’re in Iowa. I think you should see your lawyers eyes when they talk to you. Her doctor dismisses us like she is crazy or just a complainer. Money is all they see, so why shouldn’t she? 🙂 Thank you for your great reporting.

• Janet B says:

What a nice offer, thank you Ronald! I’m in Michigan, but if I could, I would be right there with you. Not sitting, of course, because I haven’t been able to sit for 5 years now because of mesh…

• Rebecca says:

I want them exposed….I want to go to trail!

2. These are multi billion dollar companys that Can pay for there mistakes or they shouldn’ tbe in business at all.

• Hal Lewis says:

Donald,

I wish that was how it worked, but the reality is that any person or company can cause a great deal more in damages than their company is worth. My son’s lawn care business has a total asset value of about $5,000… so if one of his worker’s run a red light in their truck and kills 5 people… the $50,000,000 in damages will never get paid. They will just put his company out of business and get the $5,000 in assets.

The same is true with insurance. No person or company insures themselves for more than they are worth. You can’t. No carrier would sell that. AMS/Endo, Bard and Boston Scientific are all companies with market value of about $12-15 billion. The most they would each be able to carry in insurance is a few billion each.

But you have to understand what “market value” means. It does NOT MEAN that these companies each have $12 billion in cash just sitting in the bank and available to pay out. It means that if they were sold to another company, the fair price would be $12 billion. That includes CASH FLOW in the future from the sale of products, etc. FOR EXAMPLE, Bard’s net income the past 5 years has averaged about $450 million.

If they offered every injure victim $1 million… the could only pay 450 claims a year. This means it would take them 100 years to pay 45,000 claims.

Do you really think that any company would voluntary agree to a settlement that would prevent them from making a single dollar of profit for the next 100 years?

No. They will use the math to show a bankruptcy court why they need bankruptcy protection.

REMEMBER — THESE COMPANIES HAVE TO REMAIN IN BUSINESS AND BE PROFITABLE SO THAT THERE IS MONEY TO PAY THE CLAIMS.

It does none of us victims any good to have them just say “Fine, you win, we are going out of business. Congratulations, you victims are now the owners of all of our assets — a few buildings and a few warehouses full of medical devices.”

You have to look at the Tobacco settlements with the States for your guideline. The only reason the Tobacco industry could afford to pay each state billions of dollars… is because they were allowed to stay in business and KEEP MAKING A TON OF INCOME.

This is why Judge Goodwin said this: “Judge Goodwin warned that each side needs to face reality and put aside their preconceived thoughts. Multimillion dollar settlements are unlikely and both sides will experience losses, reports one court watcher.”

He is desperately trying to get the victims to understand the reality of the situation. There is NO WAY every victim will get what they deserve. There is simply nowhere near enough money.

So ALL of the victims will have to compromise for the good of the group as a whole — or it will become a fight between the victims for the limited funds. Some people will rush to trial and get paid $3 million — and 95% of the victims will be left with nothing when those first wave of judgments send the companies to bankruptcy.

• Lisa says:

Really ? When is the last time you checked off shore accounts as Johnson and Johnson by their accounting has 50 billion in offshore.

3. Kim says:

Sorry, but this is a pet peeve:

“both sides will experience loses”

That should be LOSSES. When you LOSE a trial then there will be a LOSS of monetary reparations.

Thanks!

4. sandy says:

I think we have already lost all we should have to. We lost families, jobs, the ability to work, financial stability, dreams, physical ability to do things – how much more do we have to lose? These companies can pay for them to say it’s going to be a rocky road and multi million dollar settlements won’t be had is ridiculous women have already lost all they should have to lose ever again in this lifetime, and the problem is we will continue to lose throughout our life because mesh has changed it for all eternity

• Michelle says:

Losses on both sides? Um…those of us with this crap in our bodies already lost. The pharmaceutical companies stand to lose money, boo boo. We have already lost our health AND a ton of money. But hey, who is counting?

• Hal Lewis says:

What Judge Goodwin means is that some victims will lose their trial (as has happened in past cases) and get NOTHING.

Remember, the trials that are going on right now are being handled by the very best plaintiff attorneys who are living, eating and breathing “mesh trial” 24/7 for years. THEY ARE VERY GOOD.

But they are a small group and can only try a few cases a year. BUT WE WANT THEM OUT THERE REPRESENTING ALL OF US A GROUP BECAUSE THEY ARE KICKING ASS!!

Trust me — Johnson & Johnson is NOT scared of anyone threatening to fire their lawyer and hire some local guy to sue them. He will not have all the records and all the depositions and all the secrets that these current lawyers have already uncovered.

The WORST thing that could happen for us a group right now would be for 1,000 victims to go try their mesh case in courthouses across America. Why? Because it would inevitably lead to at least 250 LOSSES (ask any lawyer and they will tell you that their is no guarantee of winning at trial) just due to inexperienced lawyers, local prejudices, etc.

We do NOT want the manufacturers seeing that they can win these trials. We want them SCARED like they are right now when they are going against the best.

There is a reason that these Mass Torts are done this way. It works out best for the victims… because ALL OF US are “winning” every time one of these trials goes our way. So ALL OF US are represented by these great lawyers who are doing nothing but going after mesh every day.

STICK TOGETHER everyone. It will work out. It ALWAYS does in every mass tort (tobacco,vioxx, baycol, breast implants, [hen-fen, etc.)

But again, it will never end with all of us getting 100% of what we deserve. It can’t. The money just isn’t there.

• Dora P says:

The problem is the big law firms who took us on want us to settle for take home after fees less than 1 yrs salary or 3yrs out of pocket ins. Maxes. If we dont sign these settlements they drop clients based on contingency and then what?

I want to get a new lawyer after my subsequent repairs or removal and get a much much higher settlement negotiation …but I want a lawyer who has the balls to TAKE IT TO COURT if i think the settlement is ridiculous.

How much would a man go to pursue his penis accidentally getting mangled by a product that had to be dug out of various parts and had penile pain, could never have intercourse again and also felt as if he was being beaten in the lower abdomen ans groin area and hips for months.

We had this procedure done to stop our symptoms and came out worse or incapacitated.

• Dora P says:

Don’t companies, especially medical companies that INSURE them for lawsuits ?

• Diana g says:

I hope they do not want us all to feel sorry for them because they have to pay a lot, after they knowingly kept taking money for this defective product. Their greed caused all of us a lot of medical problems and 2 additional surgeries for me. I am a heart patient and was deemed at risk of a cardiac event during the follow up surgeries, the stress was unimaginable for me, but my body was failing me, so I had to take the risk. Stilll fighting UTIs even after having the mesh removed over 3 years ago. Also still pelvic prolapse. Specialist recommends another surgery, but I am hesitant.

I”m so glad you made it through the first surgery okay…. why do you need a second… did they not get out the entire mesh. Especially for someone who has a heart condition or should not go under anesthesia, the importance of a fully removal in one surgery should be the goal if it is possible… I’m not a doc but thats’ what docs tell me. Certainly part of true informed consent should eliminate someone who is compromised in health and cannot undergo surgery.

5. Lyndsey says:

No amount of money could ever replace my loss. Especially considering that the lawsuits can’t consider things such as the autoimmune disease triggered by the mesh. I can only hope and pray that there will be enough for medical expenses.

• Tamara G. says:

Hi Lindsey,

I was shocked to read about your autoimmune disorder being triggered by the mesh, because I developed psoriasis a few months after my 3rd mesh surgery! I always wondered what in the world and if there were some connection. How did you figure it all out?

Thanks so much for posting your comment – I feel more sane after reading your words!

All the best to you,

Tamara

• Dora P says:

Me too. Ever since ive had a high sed rate and chronic inflammation in nearly EVERY organ. How does a lawyer prove that correlation?

We all need to sign a petition that tells our autoimmune story so they can see the high correlation.

• Dora P says:

My offer after lawyer fees was 17k. My out of bpocket maxes were $5k/yr…for 10, not 3 yrs and this doesnt include the constant PT, massage therapists and devices, and alternative pain measures.

Ask any guy how much money it would take for him to agree to be celebate for the rest of his life or feel lke he has shards of glass rubbing on his penis if he tried… and to never sit comfortably again, and feel like he is 80 overnight and getting older daily with all the pelvic, hip, back pain, and autoimmune inflammation causing bladder, rectum, colon, and tissue pain.

HOW MUCH?

*if there really isnt enough money maybe throw this idea out there… we pool winnings together into a massive mutual fund that quickly increases value and all sign a contract that we can not take it out till it reaches a certain amt. …except some of u have medical debt that needs 2b paid also…ugh

6. Lee says:

The one thing in the article that the judge said was the example of AMS and the 1.6 billion to settle 20,000. These women will be lucky to end up with 40,000.00 after everything is said and done and there is no justice in that. It will not cover the cost of even 1 surgery…. where is the good example in that? where is the justice in that?

Lee, you are right. There are so many things stacked against the plaintiffs… If you are hit by a car, you are likely to receive more in compensation then a mesh injured woman if the AMS settlements are any indication.

• Hal Lewis says:

No, this is where everyone is wrong. 90% of the drivers on the road only carry $10,000 in bodily injury liability coverage… so this is ALL YOU WILL GET even if your pain and suffering is horrible and your damages are $3 million.

The only time victims are 100% compensated is the RARE instance when they are hit by a corporate vehicle from a large company that has millions in coverage.

So, YES, these manufacturers could afford to pay 100% of the damages ($3 million) to 1 person. They could even afford to pay $3 million to the first 1,000 people.

BUT THAT WOULD LEAVE 99,000 other mesh victims with nothing.

The sooner everyone accepts the reality of this and stops expecting to receive the FULL amount of their damages from any settlement… the sooner the sides might actually get something done that benefits ALL of the victims.

As harsh as it is, we are in a situation where there are 100,000 people starving and only 10,000 sandwiches.

No matter how hard we wish… we will not be able to give every staving person a sandwich.

We can either get through it TOGETHER and give everyone a BITE of a sandwich… or we can fight each other and in the end, 10,000 of us will get a while sandwich and 90,000 of us will starve.

• Dora P says:

Then order them all to fund a repair center that does it all FREE… the repairs, the extractions, the PT, Pain Management, Sex Therapy, Mental Therapy for not being able to please your partner or for feeling likr you are being raped when you try. Autoimmune meds, Antiinflammatory meds.

If they cant afford that either then we need to approach Congress for some kind of bail out program like they did with the oil companies, because this has apparently become a national tragedy…what did they do when New Orleans was flooded?

At the very least,several revision surgeries cost should be added to the amount…. at the very least.

7. Mesh Injured says:

Jane, we would be in the dark without your help. Lord knows the info isn’t flowing to us otherwise. And good grief… grammar isn’t a ststrong point ffor many of us posters 🙂

8. Mesh Injured says:

It breaks my heart to think of people losing their case due to some technical issue. It also makes me angry to hear people jumping on board who admit they have no issues. As scary as it seems to be fast tracking, it does seem that all the uncertainty is unhealthy – adding stress.

9. Mesh Injured says:

if a settlement doesn’t cover medical care, past – present – and future, and if it doesn’t bring about change (mesh is no longer used without testing and full disclosure) then I will choose to keep my medical insurance and my voice.

• Linda says:

I am with you! We have got to get this crap off the market. The damage to us is done and permanent but I know for a fact doctors are still presenting it’s gold standard use the exact same way they presented it to us. A friend of my sisters told her she was preparing for surgery after the holidays. Fortunately she did talk to my sister because she was given the notion that it was a 30 minute and highly effective procedure. Once my sister told her the range of outcomes she said “well i’m not going to do that’. If it were not for that word of mouth information she would have become another one of their VICTIMS. It will be up to us to unite and be firm. We have come this far and we need to work to get it off the market. POSSIBLY GOOD NEWS: After the last trial when we got fired up, I hammered out another letter to my senators office. I actually got a call and they want to talk with me about it. I will keep you all posted. You guys put some positive energy in NM directions because what I really want is a face to face meeting with him. I agree we all deserve financial compensation for what we have been through, however I feel passionately that we have to protect the women that are at risk. It just seems so difficult to get the truth out. Before I had sugery I went to the mesh websites and nothing came up about side effects. It never dawned on me to type in mesh complications. I assumed it would be there when you googled the product.Anyway, there is power in numbers. Maybe the trials will really get going because I think the manufacter’s will continue to be obstinate. A 2 hour come toJesus is not going to impact them very quickly. What they need is reality therapy such as multiple, quick, trials with guilty defective product out comes and news coverage that educates the public about what is happening. OBVIOUSLY THERE’S TYPOS IN HERE TOO! GLAD THESE WOMEN READ DESPITE IT. Thanks Jane, we would be in the dark!

• No more Corporate greed! says:

Linda: Is there any way you could post your letter or I could get a copy of it? I would like to send a letter too and since yours got noticed it might help in getting other Senators to notice also. I am not asking to use it word for word, I just would like to use it for comparison.

• Mesh Injured says:

I am concerned about the trend with physicians turning mesh injured patients away. However… after having 7 extraction surgeries I am now hearing through this grouo that it is best to not have partial extractions. Of course… the plan each time was to get it all. I have been to 5 colorectal docs who will not assist with removal of mesh in my colon. after 9 surgeries total, I feel compelled to try and live the best I can with what is left. I have an awesome urogyn and believe I would no longer be here if not for her.

10. karen says:

Thank you jane, without you taking the time to give us information we would be lost. All I know is I have Johnson and Johnson I live in Texas my Cap is 34 million . I wish I win every 34 million Johnson and Johnson owes me

11. Carin Bennett says:

Jane,

I have to say thank you to you. I’ve always been scared to post anything here. You never know what will be used against you. But, I’ve followed each case through your reporting for at least 3 years. Without you I would know nothing. As a matter of fact, just this week I told my lawyers office the same thing. They said they even read your website, and that you’re very insightful and reliable.

I just thought you might like to hear that.

Thank you for everything you do.

Carin

12. sandy says:

just remember we do not have to settle we have the right to have our day in court whether it takes 20 or 30 years I’m not going to settle for less than what I’m losing that would be absurd even judge Goodwin cannot force us to take a settlement that does not compensate us for what we deserve to be paid all I’m asking is to be paid back what they have made me lose

13. I agree with Carin !!! Totally THANK YOU JANE !!! Many days & nights I have been laying here or in my recliner layed back . I have always known if I wanted to find out what the latest updates were to look you up & I would get my updated news . That’s about the only stability I can say that we have had or at least me personally . When all of this part of the nightmare is said & done I SAY THANK YOU JANE ACRE !!! You loved & helped us yet you never saw or knew us !! Reminds of someone else dear to all of us THANK YOU HEAVENLY FATHER for sending this wonderful, good, kind, unselfish woman to us all in our time of need . I have been afraid to post things as well but TONIGHT I am no longer afraid to share my thoughts. In every woman we have the same thing to say like broken records that can’t be fixed. Regardless of all we have and will continue to go through when this part of our lives are over we still only had YOU !! My attorneys over the last four years have not been there at all but YOU HAVE BEEN !!! Thank You & I do truly love you & appreciate everything you have done for us. God bless you & you momma & your mesh news team ala well !! Thank You MESH WARRIOR !! Connie from Alabama

14. justme says:

Thank you Jane. I shake everyday from worry and fear. Coming here does help me to understand what is going on and to share with all of my mesh sisters/brothers. I pray for all of us, including Judge Goodwin, his staff, and all of the plaintiff attorney’s, and for the mesh makers to please see things from our perspective.

I went to a new doctor this week. He asked me “Are you one of those women who has filed one of those lawsuits”?

15. Bec Canterbury says:

I’ve lost my husband, home, had several surgeries and health conditions, infections so bad they had to treat me with meds they use treat malaria the infection went to my liver and gallbladder and pancrese. I go to Morgantown next week to have another revision. I will not settle small. Thank you Jane

Bec- Please do not get a partial revision if you avoid it. It only leaves behind particles and no one knows what. A full revision, if it is possible and warranted, is the way to go. write me janeakre@meshnewsdesk.com so we can discuss it. Most doctors are NOT experts and CANNOT do full revisions….

• Debra says:

Your exactly right Jane having a partial just made things worse for myself even though after having the partial done then going to get the Mesh fully removed by Dr Razz there seems to be no guarantee that your going to get better or the Mesh is fully removed.Something bad is going on inside of me again it’s been seven months from getting the Mesh removed from seeing Dr Razz he done the best he could as he is an excellent Dr but it’s all of this Auto Amun Desease after surgery and scaring of the tissues and everything else.I have to go for a CT scan to see what’s going on as I’m getting a lot of extreme pain in my Pelvis in my buttocks down my back down my legs and deep aching in my bones it’s hard to explain all I can tell you it hurts and I’m hearing or reading more and more women are getting type two diabetes like I have now sometimes I just feel like curling up in a corner some where and just cry until it’s no more tears left to come out of me.Jane all of us really apriciate what you have done for us over the past years giving us so much information not just on the trials but on the Mesh it’s self thank you.

• No more Corporate greed! says:

Angry so sorry to hear what you too are going thru…

Jane, you are a blessing. ..a God send! Thank you from the whole of my heart!

• Emmie says:

I am moving forward with Dr. Miklos and Dr. Moore for a full removal. They received my medical records from my law firm. My records show contradictions in hospital surgery documentation and my office chart files.

My office chart shows implantation of two meshes. Hospital shows I had three meshes implanted. Also I had a fistula from my small intestines to my bladder. This is noted in hospital report but notes nothing on my office charts.

Very discouraged with this finding

• meh says:

you are going to the best in the world, Dr. Miklos is a genius. His staff is the best in the world as far as I am concerned. Dr. Miklos and Dr. Moore assisted. It is bad enough we have to deal with all this, but you are in the best hands as far as I am concerned. It was Dr. Miklos who traveled teaching other doctors how to remove what I call a mesh mess. you are in good hands. He is a man of faith and prayer and that mattered to me.I need to remain private with correspondence for obvious reasons. Good luck my prayers are with you, with all of us living a life of suffering pain………..Jane please keep my information private please.

• Dr. Moore's patient says:

Drs. Miklos and Moore are wonderful and I would recommend them to anyone. They are in Atlanta and removed my mesh. When Dr Moore talked to my parents after the surgery he told them that my insides looked like hamburger meat! That was in 2005 and I have had almost no problems since then other than occasional tenderness from scarring.

Dr. Moore is my favorite – they operate together but I always saw Dr Moore. If anyone can help you, they can.

• Bec says:

I sent you a message

16. justme says:

Thank you Jane. I shake everyday from worry and fear. Coming here does help me to understand what is going on and to share with all of my mesh sisters/brothers. I don’t have any medicines to help with anything, and not knowing is hard.

I pray for all of us, including Judge Goodwin, his staff, and all of the plaintiff attorney’s, and too, for the mesh makers to please see things from our perspective.

I went to a new doctor this week about post op treatment for the mesh revision, if I am blessed to be able to have it.

He looked at me with a smarty look on his face and then asked me “Are you one of those women who has filed one of those lawsuits”?

He also told me he highly disagrees with the revision surgery and that it would be a terrible mistake. He said injections and burning the nerves would solve the pain problems. How will they solve the prolapsed organs, infections, swelling,internal issues ect? No answer…I told him I would have to check with surgeons and he said “don’t bother, they will say no.”

Of course, I left his office in tears, again. I am wasting so much money, effort, hope in my life trying to get help. He was 2 hours one way from my home. Doctors think nothing of running us around making fools of women. Why?

I am doing everything everyone is telling me to do, and yet, I still can’t get any real medical help, and no one cares about me. The medical community refuses to believe mesh is bad in any shape or form, but each doctor will go on for hours and hours about the dangers of giving pain meds or anxiety meds and why they don’t do it. Mesh is a black box warning, pain meds and Xanax are not.

I am so sick of nutty doctors. He went on for 30 minutes on women’s addictions over the last decades.

As I left his office, I saw all of the pharm signs around the office. Clip boards, advertisements, stryker signs, pens, and thought, wow, what did I step in coming here, made to come here by PC, made a fool of once again.

They all seem to think this litigation is about money. Not about all of the lies, a product unsafe for humans, the endless suffering, the disabilities, the loss of jobs, income, homes, pets, friends, tears and more tears, loss of family, the endless pain, the loss of sex, and even the loss of life. And our bodies are freaking out. Something new to report every week. My mesh is going out of and coming out through my skin in my lower back. It is awful.

17. Dear Just Me that is awful darling !!! I’m so sorry for you sadness and pain & suffering . I’ve had four operations since mine was put in . Two in Mobile Alabama & one in Nashville at Vanderbilt Hospital. The first was at UAB IN Birmingham, Alabama . I am now 58 years old but it’s been terrible including hemoraghing. I have never felt the metal or mesh just the side effects of it being in me. How old are you sweety ? You sound like a much younger individual. Trust me with or without surgery you don’t get respect . Every time I go with a problem I get the same reaction . Doesn’t matter that blood is always in my urine. I just hope and pray you are better than me when you do get your surgery . It seems the mire I do the mire I lose faith that it will never be over !!! I hope you get help soon !! I can pass my doctors or at least some that are willing to help if you would like me to. Good luck & don’t give up on finding help !! Connie

18. Linda says:

Ladies,

Are any of you experiencing bone pain? I am now waking up in the middle of the night with my bones just aching. Is anyone else experiencing this? My mesh is removed.

• Emmie says:

Yes…. I can relate to you aches and pain. It is worse at night. I finally fell to sleep at 5:30 this morning. Majority in my groin and legs. I’ve had this condition for at least 2 years. It has worsened in last 6 months. Pain meds don’t help me at all.

• Mesh Injured says:

what about burning sensation in the back of your head when lying down? anyone experiencing that? or blurred vision?

• Emmie says:

Diabetes 2 emerged after my mesh implant. Did you have your sugar checked recently? Blurred vision can be part of diabetes. When my pain level is high, I find my sugar is elevated.

My legs and pelvic area have spasms and vibration feeling…buzzing. It is a strange feeling.

• Dean says:

Yes Emmie that’s exactly what happened to me saw my Dr he did a blood test and my sugars where over the roof I thought the blurred vision was from all the meds Im taking for pain and nerve damage.As goes for the aching bones with me it feels deep inside and yes it is hard to get any rest at night.The blurred vision might explain your the burning sensation in the back of your head Mesh Injured get your blood levels checked as there seems to be more and more people who have had the revision surgeries done getting type 2 diabetes.

• Debbie says:

Sorry guys didn’t realize my husbands name was on there it’s not Dean writing.

• Mesh Injured says:

There should be a government fund set up to cover current and future complications since we are only just finding out the long term complications and injury. My read of judge Goodwins statement is that it is unrealistic for us to expect million dollar settlements while settling for anything less will leave us without insurance or the ability to seek medical care. Many of us already are turned away by medical providers because of lack of experience, disbelief, or possibly pressure from med-mal carriers. We have paid a heavy price for any pain and suffering we may recieve but it is paramount that our right to health care isn’t revoked. I fear being dropped by my insurance carrier and the suggestion that we need to be “realistic” in our expectations is more than an insult. We are challanged to think outside of the box so maybe that means expanding our box. Big pharma is only one of the players in this horrific mutilation. Election time is nearing and laws need to be changed. I hold the FDA just as responsible as pharma and the implanting dr.s. This is the largest case of it’s kind and we are supposed to lower our expectations because our court system isn’t designed for this much work. ???? I don’t feel like telling my children that they lost their mom because judge Goodwin is tired. Where is CNN? why is something of this magnitude being swept quietly under the rug? Eveyone I know has seen the commercials of attorneys and we see random, brief articles from time to time, but the Government needs to be involved in making sure that we are cared for. How can we come together as a single voice when we can’t speak out after receiving a settlement or because our settlement is pending? This is how we must be creative. How can we fight for ourselves when we are too weak to get through a day and the only hope we have for getting better hinges on the availability of medical care or the finances to pay for medical care that is NOT readily available? ALL while the one person overseeing our future tells us to lower our expectations? Where is Superman?

• Disgusted says:

Yes, great idea! Let the big pharms get bailed out by the federal government. They did the banks . . . who did criminal things. They did the car companies . . . who made poor choices and were forced to make hard decisions. I’ve read that many of them are threatening bankruptcy. Bail out. Keep them in business, but wiser. I think a law should be in place that requires criminal investigation into any product that harms so many so badly. As said before “if this happened with dog food the press would be all over it.” The big pharms won’t be able to squelch the news if this happens. Great opportunity for education of the masses.

Jane, Thank you!!!

One great media story like 60 Minutes would bring this to the public’s attention. Have you ever noticed how many television ads are for Big Pharmaceutical companies…… that has to be part of the reason the mainstream media is ignoring this story. They should be ashamed!!~ ja

• Mesh Injured says:

bone pain… yes. especially in hips and legs

• Bejah says:

Linda, Yes! I have been having strange bone pain in my pelvis for a year or so. But then in November I started feeling a terrible pain in my right hip that left me limping. It got worse. January 2 I went to the ER of my local hospital and they did an X-Ray. THee were no fracture, I was sent home with pain medicine. I just (finally) saw an Oethapedist, the Director of the Ortho/Neurology Dept here. He told me I had developed something called Bursitis. I know of no causal factor. Also about two years ago I was diagnose with Peripheral Neuropathy. My implant was in March 2010 and I started noticing problems right away.

The Orthapedist told me that pain medications do not work on bone pain (if I understood him correctly. Does anyone know about this. I started Methadone two days ago. I tink it will help. It is also said to help with Peripheal neuropathy. That too has become more noticable. I saw my wonderful Urologist yesterday. He has prescribed a medication that will help with the pelvic (blader) pain. I will pick it up later this week.

I like the idea of our making databases. Perhaps Jane would let us put up a page on resources and we could include out field work data there for others to access. I woul love to see a spreadsheet on physicians and on medication and one on conditions we develop post implant.

BTW someone posted about vision problems or the sensation of them. I have that, eyes go a little blurry. I have an appt. with Opthamologist coming up.

We must remember that although it is noble to refuse settlement there are strong arguments why we should opt for settlement. We may have to wait years for trial and then there is no guarantee we will prevail. Remembe that in trial the state in which you reside will take a large chunk of what ever your award may be. Make sure you understand how settlement works. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. If you are of a certain age…in the zone…do you really want to wait two-there years for a trial.

Take care all,

PS Remember that Jane not only does all of the writing, counseling, traveling, interviews, that she should be reimbursed for, but what do you think it must be like to have all of this weighing on you uday and night. I expect it is hard to get away from it emotionally. I hope that we will all remember Jane when we receive settlement or judgement in out favor. We must vow to do the right thing where she is concerned. Sometimes I think of the films The Matrix…we are in the Matrix byt there is a number we can call, a place we can visit that is the real world, Jane’s world, That is were we see the real world and find eachother…our underground. I expect msny of us would be quite lost without her.

Take care all,

• Disgusted says:

Bejah, Please be careful with medications. Read every one of them. Many of the bladder meds have side effects of causing seizures. I’ve had eye problems for about a year, but can’t prove related to mesh. Also bone pain. Some of pain caused by prying mesh out of it. Other bone pain is caused by our muscles, which are now tight (guarding due to pain). Muscles are attached to the bone. Also, the mesh went through several layers of muscles into the pelvis causing scarring, and dysfunction. This leads to spasm and then bone pain gets worse by the constant tension. I have a good PT. When pelvic muscles become weak (the core) the other muscles connected to these muscles try to pick up the load and get sore, and on it goes. Also, the piriformis and sciatic nerve are right next to each other. It is common for the piriformis to spasm with mesh (in or out) and it can cause pinching of the sciatic which goes down the back of the leg. Sickening.

• Mitzi says:

Bone pain, yes……..like a deep throb and pain in my groin and down my legs . My cheeks feel like they are on fire all the time and I have to sit on one side or the other, same with sleep. Just a general achy meshy flu feeling!

Mitzi

• Joe says:

Are you sure it is bone pain?

My wife used to say this, but she no longer thinks it’s bone pain.

It’s likely nerve damage caused by the scar tissue from removal. The pelvic area is very innervated and very sensitive, and very important for body function.

I can not stress how important physical therapy is after these surgeries. My wife has made amazing strides once her PT was able to start breaking up scar tissue. It’s really amazing. I could feel lumps inside her when I would message her, these are places were the surgeon made sutures most likely. These scars have shrunken considerably, and issue she had before had gone away significantly.

Why wife complained about a rotting sensation and a heavy right leg. Deep tissue massages make her nearly 100% for a little while. What is happening is these nerves are so screwed up or compressed or whatever they are causing all sorts of issues. Her upper thigh muscles used to get incredibly tight, and when this would happen she would get unreal “zap” that would make her yelp. Since we have done massages when this heaviness come over her they have gone away a lot.

However she still can not sit normally, however after intensive PT she is able to sit normally with no discomfort for a little awhile.

She is by no means 100%, and some days suck. But after she was able to tolerate deep tissue massages for PT, she has improved unbelievably. I read all these tragic stories on here and I thought that was my wife’s future. But PT has made a serious difference.

Some medical details. She has had two revisions. The first surgery was a partial, my wife is a bleeder and the doctor was concerned about where the anchors were. It was a success, unfortunately something strange happened with the right anchor and it was detached, and was causing her serious discomfort. So she had another one. This one made her worse for sure, but the horrible discomfort for the right side anchor was gone, and real sex was possible again, which was very important to us.

The second surgery I think really inflamed the area more. My only regret is not saying to the doctor to forget the risk and just remove it all at once. The more surgery in this area the worse off you will be, particularly if you are older. The tissue down there is very sensitive.

Even worse as I. Sure many of you are aware, there is very little information about nerve damage I this area, it’s amazing. Almost all of my research into the issues my wife was having came from sport injuries with the occasional mesh study.

TL:DR: please please ladies give PT a try, it will make a difference, the longer you wait though the harder the scar tissue gets.

19. Jan Urban says:

I recently went through a full spectrum of tests on my heart. My heart stopped during the heart cathe. No changes since my last cathe 3 years ago. The nuclear stress test almost killed me setting arrythmias off the charts. I have Mitral prolaspe so it gave a lot of false positive readings. Nothing is wrong. My blood pressure medicine will settle the arrythmias down. Anyhow, When I told my cardiologist about mesh and told him to go online. He did. He said “we have to get your heart checked out so I can clear you”. You have to get that mesh out of you. So, I’ve been cleared for my mesh removal. My Urogynecologist is great. He is with Summa In Akron Ohio. Dr. Christopher Rooney. I feel so fortunate that I have 3 Doctors who really listen and care. There are Doctor’s that do not use mesh for any procedures. Doctor Dean Borth, General Surgeon,Canton, Ohio, said to me and my husband “NEVER PUT ANY MESH IN YOUR BODY”, before Jack’s belly button hernia repair surgery. That was 7 or 8 years ago. I did not no that I was having mesh implant til the day of surgery. My thoughts and prayers will be with all of you. Thank you Jane XXOO

Jan- Thank you for those names…. so good to know there are docs out there that don’t follow the herd. check out Dr. mercola online and fish oil and its connection to heart irregularities.

• Terri says:

We take Mega Red.. John takes blood pressure meds and after taking the Mega red, it blood pressure has lowered a lot.

• Angry says:

My revision was one year ago in Jan. I really think if it was not removed I would not be here today. Dr Christopher Walker in Orlando removed it. Just wish that I found him sooner. Now facing life long issues with my bladder and bowels and a intra-stim had to be surgically implanted to control my bladder. I thank god that it worked and I am here today and trusted in my Dr. As we all know after losing are trust because of this mesh mess. Jane you have become a life long friend to so many and the only shining factor to so many involved. You have a special place in my heart.

20. eliza clark says:

I read the updates and comments as often as I could but have never commented. I am also a victim of the mesh. The only way my family and friends understand my pain and agony are from the comments posted and of course Janes’ updates. This whole process is just so in humane and we are being butchered!!!! These pharmaceutical companies can’t hide from the medical reports that state the damages done to our bodies and entire lives for the rest of our lives. Then again what Shame do they have for the victims that have died from complications or committed suicide from the pain. They are gone forever. This really happening in America and it is not exposed enough. My prayers go out to all the victims!!! My mesh was removed, my surgeon was an angel sent from God. The complications still exist and I have learned to be proactive and to adjust to the damages. This is definitely life changing due to greed!!!!

21. eliza clark says:

Correction to my first post, I had a revision and still face complications including getting a divorce!!!!

22. meems says:

Face it, we will be screwed yet again.

23. Maria Garcia says:

Sorry for those who may have read this under another article but I meant for it to be posted here…

If the MDL is too much for Judge Goodwin to handle in his court maybe I can offer up a solution that works for everyone. Let all the cases be brought back to their respective cities still sharing the same information from all of the discoveries as if they were being handled in West Virginia. Judge Goodwin has already compromised all the remaining cases by saying the rest will not be “million dollar” cases and he does not have time for them all. Most attorney groups were counting on the four bellwether trials and a few appeal fights and then the money train settlements without going to trial. I say make the attorneys work for it and spread the cases all over the country which will make it easier for the plaintiffs and their attorneys and harder for the companies like Ethicon which will have to hire more lawyers. The whole concept of an MDL is to group cases of like devices and let the common discoveries leading to a definitive rulings. If all four bellwether cases are won by the plaintiff then settlements are usually the next step and each case gets rated on a sliding scale. When a company vows to fight and settles more than letting cases play out to a jury the MDL process is circumvented as far as I am concerned. If you live in Dallas then your MDL should convert back to a defective product case. It should be a local court and be heard keeping all of the discovery information in tacked. On one hand Judge Goodwin is acting like a patient advocate and on the other he is saying that the cases that have received millions should not have. I say the system has failed and Judge Goodwin needs to disperse the case load to the city where the plaintiff lives. It’s not right for a judge and some attorneys to decide that the rest of us should get even less than the lowest awarded plaintiff. What really rattles my cage is the defendants lawyers asking Judge Goodwin to disallow punitive damages in any case and the Judge grants their request! The only reason the cases are MDL is the way the attorneys word the actual filing of the case. Linda Batiste had her day in a Dallas Texas court and everyone of us should have the same chance without Judge Goodwin limiting anything for the rest of us. Don’t listen to all of the fear mongering and ask your attorneys ahead of time about your day in court if the settlement is not OK.

• Hal Lewis says:

This is NOT what the Judge said.

He said not to expect Multi-million dollar SETTLEMENTS.

He absolutely told the manufacturers to expect to keep getting hammered for multi-million dollar VERDICTS.

As I have said repeatedly, the first people who get verdict against these companies will get paid in FULL. But after a few years of this, the companies will file Bankruptcy and the remaining 95,000 victims will get nothing.

The math is very simple. There is nowhere near enough money to pay every victim 100% of their damages. THIS IS WHAT THE JUDGE IS TRYING TO GET VICTIMS TO UNDERSTAND.

We can all get something… or a few of us can get a lot and a lot of us can get the shaft.

• Mesh Injured says:

Hal, thank you for the info. Is it true that if we accept settlement that we can no longer submit medical insurance claims for anything mesh related? If this is true, I am concerned that symptoms that are currently being denied to be mesh related will turn into anything we seek medical service for will in reverse be blamed on mesh.

• Maria Garcia says:

Here are Judge Goodwin’s words from the article above…

Judge Goodwin warned that each side needs to face reality and put aside their preconceived thoughts. Multimillion dollar settlements are UNLIKELY and both sides will experience losses, reports one court watcher.

If you have been reading all of Jane’s articles you would have read that Judge Goodwin said that is it comes down to it plaintiffs better accept the settlement amount or he will put the case so far down the docket they will wish they did.

I don’t make this stuff up so I don’t really understand your reaction to my text.

• Maria Garcia says:

J&J is far larger than any of the other companies and like Merck and the VIOXX MDL, they will never file for bankruptcy. As far as my word “CASE” instead of “SETTLEMENT” that is really the same thing. Judge Goodwin was simply stating that the “SETTLEMENTS” are NOT bellwethers and they should not be MULTIMILLION DOLLAR VERDICTS. He has said it before in previous trials giving strong hints to “REASONABLE SETTLEMENTS” which in his mind a bellwether is to prove a product is defective and it’s not about the jury award. If you read about the Vioxx MDL settlement you will understand how a large plaintiff pool gets graded and classed. Many cases will be dismissed and many will get large settlements but nowhere near the million dollar verdicts so far. This is why I would not settle for anything less than my day in court.

Read about the MERCK VIOXX MDL settlement which should open everyone’s eyes:

• Hal Lewis says:

And by the way, everyone…

I can guarantee you that ALL of these defendant manufacturers want desperately to SETTLE.

They are scared to death right now of being run into bankruptcy by these cases. They know that their companies might just cease to exist if they keep getting hammered in court. They have no choice. Their backs are against the wall…

because our lawyers are currently kicking their butts!

We will never have the leverage and momentum that we have right now. Just trust the system and it will work.

• msm says:

The companies won’t have to hire more attorneys. The courts will issue continuance after continuance until they are available. The whole court system if fouled up. That’s why dangerous criminals spend years out on bail awaiting trial and then wait longer for sentencing. It took almost a year to sentence a big time CEO who ADMITTED he was guilty while he walked around free as a bird. Civil courts are even worse. The system is broken.

24. jade says:

“If you see a problem, be part of the solution. Don’t stay on the sidelines and complain – TAKE ACTION.” –

Representative, Tulsi Gabbard (D-HI)

Dear Fellow Victims – I think we have to realize NOW and act on the POWER we all possess to get this UNbelievable “EXPERIMENTATION ON WOMEN” out in the open! We are NOT helpless victims – we are connected (if we search our lives) to many powerful people who would “walk-the-mile” for us. We need to go out there as individuals and talk to ANYone of them that will listen, help us and put pressure on these manufacturers! This is NOT a Tabacco Industry case; not an Asbestos Case – the devastating injuries to our bodies occurred almost immediately AFTER implantation. None of us were complaining of a “sore throat” – we ALL had the same complications, reactions, and life- altering injuries within months AFTER implantation. IT WAS THE MESH! IT COULD ONLY BE ATTRIBUTED TO THE MESH! And idea: Let’s make a Master List of EVERY IMPLANTING SURGEON that we know. We ALL do know WHO implanted us, right? Let’s get an Excel Sheet together listing EVERY implanting surgeon; his affiliations with any manufacturer of MESH; tally the number of women he’s implanted from our data base and send it to EVERY print/online publication and every involved doctor. Believe me, these implanting doctors are cowardly shying away from this “mesh debacle”! They DO NOT want to be associated in anyway with it. YES, we are VICTIMS, but we have to STOP acting like victims! We are in pain, YES, but we have to draw from a reserve energy to get these manufacturers SEE that they have a formidable force against them and their PAID doctors. If we approach these crimes with strength in numbers; show up at jury trials in force; wear buttons and T-shirts; talk to anyone who can help us to get the word out – these manufacturers will have no place to hide – no one person who is NOT aware of transvaginal mesh complications. They will then REALIZE they will never receive a fair trial pretending the Plaintiff is ONLY one or four women! Everyone will know that there are 100,000+ women suffering in a matter of 6 years all OVER the WORLD! This threat of exposure might just be the incentive to settling sooner!

25. sotired says:

just a note to say this has changed me so much. I too leave my doctors office in tears. I have constant infections, but no reason for hem. My doctor was so kind and kept trying to find the source of these infections in the beginning. She was doing tests and sending me to specialist. Then I made the mistake of telling her about the mesh and all the issues women were having, thinking it may be my problem too. I brought her some articles about the mesh and she seemed to be interested in what was said about it. I had another infection at that time and she put me back on antibiotics for the infection. When I went back to see her after I finished the antibiotics, she had done a complete turn around. She actually told me to ” stop thinking about the mesh and see a psychiatrist Try doing some yoga and meditation”. Ever since then she barely speaks to me when I see her. I even saw a few other doctors in that office since then and they always start out with some comment about my mesh settlement and then treat me like I’m a nuisance. I have suffered through mesh erosion’s, several repair surgeries and even a severe allergic reaction where I needed an emergency D & C due to 2nd and 3rd degree vaginal burning. I have been fighting this mesh since 2008 and I am so tired and depressed. I used to love life, but now I cry all the time an mostly just go lay to bed. I also feel I am just a number on my lawyers money tree as I can’t get any info or even a callback from them. I am thankful to you Jane for this site as it does help to know I’m not crazy and it gives me information about what is going on. Thank you so much for being there for all of us.

26. Still Suffering says:

I just watched a Youtube video “Vaginal Mesh Procedure” by Miklos and Moore boasting their part in developing mesh kits to treat prolapse and for devising a “new procedure for prolapse repair”. Uhmmm is this an old video and they now realize the error of their ways and sincerely want to help mesh injured women or have they determined this is now a lucrative new field (mesh removal) in which to make more money? In one video they did not remove all the mesh anchor. I know Dr. Raz used mesh in the past and it is my understanding he does not any more. That is a sign of a truly great doctor to realize the harm it is doing to too many and turn around and help so many that are suffering mesh complications/damage.

These are great ideas to unite and somehow make this mesh debacle nationally known – and I love the T-shirt with the screaming woman because that is exactly how awful this mesh damage is.

• Jan Urban says:

You Know we all could email the President. Do it on the same day, scatter it by last names, ABC DEF etc. by times. One right after another. Write a brief description of yourself living with mesh. What ever just so it gets to him. I feel as a group this is the person that can be reached all at once for we are from so many different states and the world to.. Contact the other support groups. to get involved Tweet a comment about mesh all at once. We have the world at our fingertips….. Post a comment on Facebook all at once. Remember Wednesday was Prince Spaghetti Day. Well, Pick a Day and make it Mesh Awareness Day and each week we post, comment email, tweet, just jam up these sites. We have these social net works and our fingers still work let’s organize and do it. It has worked for other people for mass purposes to get a message out. Stand up and tell the world how you’ve been hurt by Mesh. If you can’t talk about it. Then just say Mesh has ruined my Life. No More Mesh. there are more statements that we could list that we could use. You will not be punished for doing this. It’s time. Tweet each major news organizations We just have to setup the days and times and do it one right after another.going down the list each and everyday. The President, CNN, ABC, New York Times, TV Talk Shows. etc. etc. Nothing else has worked?

27. Lana Keeton says:

Miklos and Moore are The Worst. Trained hundreds of doctors to implant mesh. Nicked the bowel of a woman I know. Temporary colostomy. 6 weeks in intensive care. Nearly died. Still having surgeries to repair damage by Miklos 8 years ago. And now Jane, you are sleeping with the enemy. Desperation? Terrible you have an ad for 2 of the biggest industry docs in the world on your site.

Lana, my friend. Have you talked to the doctors? I have. Have your visited their facility? I have. I believe many docs who were once mesh believers have changed their minds, despite their pasts. But I will take your concerns to M&M when I interview them this week. I actually think you should meet with them yourself. You might change your mind. BTW- no surgeon has 100% outcomes. None. People should know that even the most experienced in the world, occasionally have mishaps in surgery. It happens. Surgery is not an exact science and presents its own dangers. If you have any other questions, please forward them and I will be sure to ask. Thanks Lana. ~ warm regards, ja

• confused and afraid says:

Jane, first I would like to thank you so much for all you do. I recently had my medical records reveiwed by M&M, and I really need to have my mesh removed, but I cannot afford their cost. They are not in contract with my insurance, which makes it very costly for the surgery, and I cannot afford it. Please talk to M&M during your interview about why they are not in contract with insurance BCBS, for an example. If they really want to help us ladies, why make it so hard for us with the expensive surgery? At least be in the contract with health insurance, so we can afford our surgeries.

28. I’m miserable Jane or anyone PLEASE HELP IF YOU HAVE AN ANSWER !!! My bottom is on Fire burning around several inches down there. Both around the rectal & vaginal area are pulsating with pain & burning . I’m so confused it’s been burning this bad over a month ! Crying , praying, soaking in tubs of Epsom salt & oils , pain mess don’t work & neither does the lidocaine gel. It’s not a rash or anything visible to the naked eye it’s inside my skin . I’m tripping up on my feet & falling Please any suggestions how I can make it better ? It’s had my blood pressure so dang high I was admitted to the ER to the hospital in December . My blood was so high I wascaur lifted to UAB in Birmibgham . Dr. Said I was having a heart attack & prepared my family for open heart surgery . Drs. cone out & tell my family my heart was that of a twenty year old . Actually could find no reason for the problem . I left the hospital after several days in ICU with no answer but the doctor talked about my health issues during the arteriorgram . Still high based on pain level & I can’t fix that , I can’t stop the pain & the burning . Connie from Alabama

• Mesh Injured says:

Connie, can you get a pelvic mri? my blood pressure got very high and had horrible hip pain. doc sent me for a pelvic mri. i had a tennis ball size blob of infection. I had that removed and blood pressure is better. the infection had been there a while and I felt like I was dying. No indication in blood tests of infection.

• surgeryinmay says:

connie, I’m so sorry.. i have this type of pain you are describing, its beyond awful. but mine has open sores from front to back all around, but with that its a very DEEP type of pain.I just lay and hold myself cause it hurts so bad. I’m not able to get down in the bath tub because of the pain. i tell my husband i wish i could take a long hot bath, it probably wouldn’t help, but a bath sounds good. dr.raz said its mesh, I’m having reactions. i have found a gel that helps some. I’m not sure that i am supposed to use it down there, i use it on my arms and legs, have these really bad pains/sores/ it feels like thousands of bee stings, but theres nothing there. its awful, so painful. the gel is fluocinonide 0.05, it burns/hurts when i first put it on, but then it helps. now, I’m no dr.. I’ve just tried everything. just a suggestion. ok. i also take 6-7 clariten 10mg daily.. everyday, it helps to. I’m sorry. this is so bad. so sad. it was warm here today. i would have give anything to have been outside enjoying life with my husband and kids.. no, i laid on the couch and in the bed. just sick. and in pain. it pisses me off. I’m so mad, hateful, mean. i was not like this.. I HATE THIS FOR US.. ITS NOT RIGHT!!!! Im sorry connie.

• Oh me I don’t have sores sweety . God love your heart , I was sad today too when everyone was going outside . It. Was such a pretty day today . I was like you inside laying in bed crying & throwing up. It’s so strange how you can literally feel like you’ve been scalded from burning so bad yet you see nothing . After I put lidocaine gel all over it started feeling like tiny bugs or worms squirming all over me down there . It’s like being tortured by different means of cruelty isn’t it ? I told my husband tonight that I needed to lay beside him I’m so lonely . It’s causibg me to have nightmares & in them I can’t find him & he has moved on to another life without me. I wake up so afraid & last week I woke up & saw him on the sofa . I was in the recliner & when I was dreaming I was looking everywhere for him . I looked for so long I almost had forgot what he looked like anymore. I was trying so hard to remember his number or his families numbers . I woke up & thought it was real & was so sad then I looked & saw him on the couch asleep . I burst into tears & he woke up I told him I thought he was gone but when I saw him & realized I was dreaming again I was SO HAPPY . The nightmares have become a part of my life & I don’t know how to stop them . It’s always something isn’t it darling . I am afraid to go to sleep anymore I dread it because I’m tormented so much . I think he loves me enough to never leave. I read about all these ladies husband & happy marriages ruined & it’s luje I’m waiting on it to happen to me. I see him everyday yet I miss him so much !!! I can’t imagine what him & the kids have gone through.

29. Wow thanks sweety I have an appt. The 5 th of March for an ultrasound . It’s suppose to be 3 or 4 D , 3 other test scheduled also. Dr. Said its an all day thing I will be there if I have to cry all day to make it. I have had a terrible day today. It’s been burning & hurting so bad I cried until I threw up. This happens often it’s just worsening for some reason . I put lidocaine gel all over my vaginal, rectal & buttox are took 3 pain pills . I am able to tolerate it but I feel it coming on with pulsating pain again now. I’m gonna call the Dr. Tomorrow and veg them to help me get those test earlier . I can truly understand ladies that are suicidal . My grand baby coming in today pulled me back to reality . She said mommy lets pray for Nanny Bug ok . My heart lit up but I cried when she left . I’m only in my fifties I want her to have better memories of me than this !!

• Lyndsey says:

Connie and ‘surgery.in.May’: I don’t know if I can possibly help you but I have found going to a very good pain management specialist has helped. I’m on opioids, anti-depressant (for the nerve pain), and anti-inflammatories. I highly recommend that you try one of the anti-seizure – type medications (nuerontin, lyrica, topomax) for treatment of the nerve pain. When my pain shoots up, for whatever random reason, I have found that lying on my side with my legs out straight or possibly with my knees bent so my feet are under my bottom. This is not the fetal position where you pull your knees to your chest, that is painful. Somewhere I read that this other position could release pressure on the pudendal nerve and sometimes it does seem to help. I keep a pillow between my knees, turn all the lights off, and pray or meditate (including using breathing) to try to help ease the pain.

God bless you!

• Thank you so much , my sister & brother have encouraged me to get pain management . I am so afraid to get dependant on pain meds but I’m no hood like I am to anyone. I’m laying in a dark room right now. I literally feel tribe bunking out of me onto my pad . Thank you this is great advice I’m happy you shared it with me. God bless you for taking your time to help me. Connie

• Jan Urban says:

Connie, You say you have sores. Are they everywhere on your body? I have some sores that I have had for over 2 years on my legs knees, shins, thighs, calves, lower back, shoulders arms, hips and there not small sores either, they are deep. . Antibiotics haven’t done a thing. I’d like to get rid of them for I would love to do pool therapy. Thanks Jan

• surgeryinmay says:

Hi jan urban, My sores are my arms, back, legs. They are very deep, ugly, they kinda start out like hives, they itch, hurt, burn,bleed. I have found that fluocinonide gel helps some. I got that from a friend that had something wrong with her fingernails, I’m not sure if I’m supposed to put it the places I have, but the antibiotics and anti itch hasn’t helped any. Also, my eyelids, the skin on my eyelids peel off, they are painful, they start out as cracked skin, then they peel off. That happens every so often. I have 2 toenails and skin that peel off too. My teeth are terrible, they just break off. Im no beauty queen by no means, but this mesh has made me ugly, old, sick in pain. 40 year old, but look 80.. when I look in the mirror, it’s bad. Its so sad. Its ALL weird stuff. Weird stuff that I never had before this evil Miniarc Sling..

Thank you for reading and commenting jan urban.

• Jan Urban says:

My feet were in great shape before mesh Husband rubbed them every night. Then my 2 big toe nails turned black and these weird ridges rippled across the nail vertically. The black went away and the nail thickened the skin on my feet flake I mean thick flakes that have sharp points to them. I worn hiking and tennis shoes all my life with the type work I did 12 hours a day, wet feet and all and I never had anything wrong with my feet. I’m with you Mirrors are out for me and I also never won a beauty contest but I did have a nice figure at 58 now 3 years later 60 pounds a big pile of blubber. Through my recent procedures it took 3 nurses to move me how humiliated I was. I cry just thinking about it.

• Dear Jan Urban , I don’t have sores darling . I have had a staff infection three times since surgery though . I Was so embarrassed to go to the dr. office & get more antibiotics . I can tell if I have an infection I get so extremely tired & I gave started passing out from taking antibiotics I guess . It’s so strange I have always had nice teeth & had to have four cut out since this happened . Thank God they were not my front teeth. I’ve been brushing with baking soda to try to whiten them up. They are getting so dark looking like I’m a smoker . I had no clue until I saw this that mesh affects your teeth . It’s luje putting a puzzle together when I hear of others problems that I can relate to.

• Barbara says:

Connie, I had mesh surgery in 2010. I think it was about two years later my urologist told me there was nothing more he could do for me regarding the pain. He suggested I go to pain management. I was concerned about the drugs but I wanted relief. So I have been going for approximately 3 1/2 years. I get injections of steroids in my lower back every three months as well as pain medication. I have just had a partial removal of mesh July 5 at Vanderbilt. I am so thankful for pain management and partial removal. I know my future is going to consist of more pain management. I keep bladder infections, I am now a type 2 diabetic, and I have broken out with blisters that turn into sores all on my back, arms, and legs. My battle continues but I can say that pain management has helped me. Bless you mesh sister.

• surgeryinmay says:

Thank you Lyndsey..you are sweet. I appreciate you. I will take all the help I can get.. i dont have a dr here that believes me. I don’t have anybody.. I just have no faith in any Dr’s here. My family dr of many years blew me off too.. i blame him just as much as AMS, my old gyn, the urologist, and the urogyn. (NOT DR RAZ-he and his fellow Believe me).

I need to find a new family dr, I just know it will be hard with all of my problems. When I went to my family dr in Dec for my BP refill, he asked how my arthritis was in my hips and groin was doing. Friggin idiot.

30. Maria Garcia says:

If you want to know what happens in a large MDL settlement, read this article about the MERCK VIOXX settlement. You will find it refreshing and educational which might give some of us the information we need to ask the right questions.

31. Maria Garcia says:

Judge Goodwin warned that each side needs to face reality and put aside their preconceived thoughts. Multimillion dollar settlements are unlikely and both sides will experience losses.

Why are all of the other cases outside of the bellwether trials NOT going to be large settlements? Am I the only one that understands what is being said by Judge Goodwin? I have had three defective devices from Ethicon ripped out of me through ten surgeries with severe nerve damage well documented by specialists in every field you can imagine. I am messed up and I am not going to talk about it here but now I am in physical therapy for the third time and it’s bloody murder. I take two steps forward and five steps back with each visit! I will NOT live the rest of my life as a patient instead of a wife for my husband!

32. msm says:

Concerning the Vioxx MDL mentioned above:

Only 50% of the cases filed resulted in any payment.

59,365 original claims

58,022 potentially eligible claims

Approx. 25,000 claims resulted in no payment

Average payment for heart attack $187K

And $375K for death from heart attack.

Average payment for stroke $61K

And $120K for death from stroke.

Subtract 35% for average attorney’s share.

No wonder Merck says it went ” so smoothly”. I doubt the victims would say the same.

33. Sandy says:

I don’t see how Judge Goodwin can force us to take less than what we deserve. He is not suffering like we have. I would like to see him go through the pain and loss we have on a daily bases. He hasn’t loss the ability to work, to walk, to have fun with family, he hasn’t loss his home or his spouse, or sexual relations with a spouse. He doesn’t have to struggle to keep a place to live or food to eat. Per the law we have the right to get our wages, medical expenses and pain and suffering compensated for us. For me that would be much more than he is suggesting! In my personal opinion he is committing as much of a crime as did the medical companies did when he tells everyone you just have to accept less. He does not have the right to say how much I deserve. He knows nothing of what I have had to go through and will have to go through the rest of my life! Because of the stress and the pain I deal with every day I am sure my life will be shortened! We all have heard that stress kills.

Judge Goodwin I am sure has a boss or someone who oversees his work. Perhaps that person needs to be contacted if Judge Goodwin tries to tell us we have to accept a certain amount. This is insane for a judge to think he can set the settlement amounts. If nothing else I have the right to have a jury decided what AMS has done to my life. It seems that Judge Goodwin is trying to save the medical companies and that is wrong, so wrong in many different ways while our lives fall to pieces!!!

• Still Suffering says:

FYI I believe federal judges are on the bench for life barring being impeached or removed by Congress.

• sandy says:

exactly he will always have a job he will always have income he doesn’t have to worry and suffer and scraping just to make ends meet.

34. Sandy says:

Jan

I think your idea is right on. I think we should email our President, congress people, and senators all on one day. Lets flood their emails and advise them that every victim in every state is emailing their representatives. Something must be done before Judge Goodwin has his way. We deserve compensation to get better and to help us live as best as we can for the rest of our lives. This is insane what is going on not to mention criminal!!!

Jane what do you think? There has to be a way to get this out!!!!!

• Jan Urban says:

Sandy, Our statements do not need to long . They just need to be to the point. These Mesh Medical Devices with their debilitating adverse effects have permanently injured my body and ruined my life. Where was the FDA to protect us from these defective permanent mesh medical devices? It would not take that long to do this and do every week and the week after and so on. Women from around the world to can twitter and use face book. The more we do it the more victims and people become aware and involved, that we are not the ads on TV, that we are human and we want this mesh off the markets to do no harm to any other person. Pick one day (say Monday) and make it mesh awareness day for each Monday there after and we tweet, email, face book a comment. every Monday. each Monday you email the President, your Senators (2) and Congressmen. I truly believe a movement like this would bring attention to us. ? Does anyone read the What’s Trending when on Face Book? You only need a sentence or phrase to catch the eyes of the world. They are watching. Have family and friends involved to. Just Jam these social networks up. No More Mesh!!!!!!! Example 72,000 x 10 family & friends = 7,200,000 posts, tweets, emails etc in one day all about mesh.

35. David says:

The tragic reality of these lawsuits is – had there been an effective, legal patient informed consent means in place, to directly inform every U.S. patient of risks, independent of the surgical mesh industry’s use of the “physician learned intermediary,” much of this very foreseeable, current harm (and the consequential “mounting” lawsuits) resulting from an industry’s historical understanding of the injurious performance unpredictability of surgical mesh in the human body (with surgical mesh not being fit for its intended use) could have been prevented. I do not thinking that it is even logical, to “jump to the conclusion,” that without the medical device industry’s ongoing active undermining of the patient/doctor relationship (with the manufacturers’ negligence compounding on the surgeons’ negligence) that these crimes could have been systemically perpetrated against unsuspecting women on such a widespread, global scale.

In the aftermath of the mesh industry’s premeditated exploitation of past unsuspecting U.S. patients (regardless of what current indication is being cycled through U.S. courts) what is now fair? –Every patient deceptively, predatorily targeted by a surgical mesh manufacturer predator should be fairly compensated for the devastation to her and his life…And “fair compensation” is NOT the “chump change” which is currently being suggested to address the mesh manufacturer predator’s premeditative targeting of the POP/SUI patient population. “Empires” fall; this has been reality.

Why is the U.S. Federal Government acting to protect these device manufacturer predators, their profits and subsequent future ability to continue to prey upon more unsuspecting U.S. patients? The mesh manufacturer criminal acted with premeditation to deceptively, predatorily target unsuspecting patients – with intent (I believe) – to undermine a patient’s rights, via using their standard of care control over the physician perpetrator, to actively exploit a patient’s trust that a surgeon could have acted in their (the patient’s) best interest.

Is more “innovation” (or “least burdensome” effort, pre statute) by the greater medical device industry really even the answer to solve THE PROBLEM? THE PROBLEM I am talking about is the industry failure to recognize the limitations of its current technologies in the marketplace (as there is no legislative means to this end…the “SE” problem)…And, as it is only upon first prevention (via establishing appropriate clinical guidelines – in an effort to protect and promote human health), is it, and will it be, possible to combat Industry’s intent (I believe): to target even larger populations of patients – to maximize its profits (via expanding indications) – through use of it regressively trained surgeon perpetrators (absolved from malpractice accountability behind the standard of care…which serves to propagate “the primitiveness of the collective” to rationalize its patient abusive behavioral norms).

Perhaps with new leadership at the FDA it can spur still existing CDRH leadership into finally taking the long overdue necessary actions, desperately needed NOW to protect future U.S. patients against past FDA failures to have responsibly acted: to have prevented these premeditated attacks instigated by, and for the benefit of, these medical device manufacturer predators.

36. Angry says:

Eliza, Hearing that you too received help from Dr. Walker put a smile on my face. I totally agree with your comment about him. After going from Dr. to Dr. and leaving in tears I knew real fast I was in the best hands. So happy that I was able to feel trust in someone again and I will ALWAYS be so Thankful to him for saving my life. Eliza, would love to talk to you but really not sure how with out posting. Oh and can never forget you Jane, for ALL that you do in helping so many…You are amazing!

37. Bec says:

I go Monday as I said before to Morgantown university to see if they can help. I am 53 I won’t date, I have to work because I have no help, but I work everyday in pain and wearing a pad. I’m here on Valentine’s day alone, my husband with another woman, I was forced to move back in with my elderly parents. I have had several surgeries, I mean my sling popped through the incision just days after it was put in. I feel like I lost so much of my world with this thing. I no longer can do or have many of the things I loved so dearly. I mean really do these companies not see the pain this has caused so many of us.

• I am so sorry Bec !! Bless your sweet heart darling !! I turned 59 yesterday . You couldn’t tell because I look younger than my age for some strange reason I always have. I feel like I am 80 most of the time . I miss my husband though we are still married. We sleep separately & it’s killing me inside . He sleeps on the couch for around 4 years or so now. I find myself on the love seat , recliner to the bed alternating which one I can find the most comfort . By comfort I mesn setting it hurts so bad Bec I have nightmares often & I can’t find him , he has left & I can’t find him. In my dreams he is living with his family that are actually deceased now . I can’t remember his numbers or how to call his momma to see if he is ok . I woke up crying after a dream last week & I thought it was reality. I was in the recliner & I was crying & I looked &?saw him asleep on the sofa. I woke him up crying & said oh dear I thought you had left me & your really here . We have been together for 27 years & he probably would never leave me Bec but I am no good to him darling . All we hardly talk about is what’s for supper tonight or the weather . I feel so terribly old & ugly I pee on myself all the time, sometimes poop , I cry , wear clothes that are baggy because I can’t them to touch my skin . I’ve gained weight , forget things , always needing antibiotics or meds of some kind . I feel like I should be in the nursing home . I’m so afraid of things that haven’t happened yet. How long were you & your husband together ? Did you have a good marriage before ? Can anyone relate to me about the dreams & same issues out there ? This is the 1st time he has never got me a Valentine gift & my heart was so broke . I waited until about an hour a go and gave up . We have borrowed from Peter to pay Paul & can’t pay all of our bills because of all these medical things . Lord I’m so tired Bec I hope these claims will settle soon . I could at least get some of these debts off of us from having to borrow so much money . That would take some pressure off of our marriage for sure. He is good and humble but we seem to be existing not really living !! Can any of you ladies help me out to know if there is hope at the end of this tunnel ?

• Bec says:

We were married 8 years together 11. I am the same way don’t look my age, I get asked out but really who would want to go out with someone when they find out they have to wear a diaper and owe what I owe in bills. I get told by my friends your a beautiful woman, I don’t feel beautiful. When my husband left me he said, “your a good woman, a beautiful woman, your great to me but I need more.” Those words will forever be burnt in my memory.

• Bec says:

And I understand the dreams. I dream things like that all the time. I dream I have my home back and my life back. Being a social worker I wake up and tell myself my mind is messing with me. In my heart I know it’s from so much loss.

• Oh thank you so much Bec !!! It horrible that we are tormented while we sleep & awake as well . Do you know since your a social if anythin I can possibly to to stop dreaming bad things all the time. I have gotta figure out diverging on my own Bec ? I’m sorry to be so needy i just want to try and stop done issues if I can !!! Thank you so much , Connie

38. Janae Johnson says:

I had a my surgery in 2006 for USI. It was the worst decision I’ve

ever made. I had revision surgery in 2013 and I still continue to have issues. I have have come to the conclusion that I will continue to suffer from having this surgery done for the rest of my life. I truly feel sorry for all the women that are going through this.

Can you get to an expert to have an assessment? I’ve not known mesh complications to improve over time. I’m sorry you were sold on this option!

Let me know if I can help…. ~ jane akre

• Jeanie says:

the device was not located inside me but I hurt like barbed hooks are digging into me and I am on 4 medication to try to manage it . I need another scan but my insurance wont pay I have recently had my ovaries and they are goo so I would like to know if it has actually disintagrated or migrated . I just want to know if it is still inside me causing me more pain

Your insurance company needs to help you now when you need it. An ultrasound should see the mesh but you need a knowledgeable tech to read it…. The insurance companies led women to these procedures by only paying for a mesh repair, now they do not want to help you? unacceptable. Here is an open letter to insurers..

And let us know how we can help further… perhaps some names and emails so many women can get onboard and write to the insurance representative. You need a mesh expert!!!

39. jbrokenbody says:

I don’t see none going without. These people have money,matches,jets,resorts,homes an can keep on. Sell, Sell, Sell , yaep what others have to do. They aren’t innocent. Guilty, GUILTY

40. Debra says:

I’m really upset because i went for a different surgery , and she just put the bladder sling in because she said i needed.So im all messed up for something i didn’t even ask for.And now they don’t want to pay us. i was thinking about call my congressmen .

Please do call, there needs to be a much more public airing of this travesty in medical care, medicine for profit = harmed patients.