Judge Goodwin Calls Both Sides to the Table June 2 in Pelvic Mesh Litigation

Judge Joseph R. Goodwin, overseeing bellwether mesh trials

Judge Joseph R. Goodwin, overseeing bellwether mesh trials

In an April 2 order, issued by Judge Joseph Goodwin who is overseeing thousands of transvaginal mesh lawsuits, all sides in transvaginal litigation are being called to Charleston, West Virginia June 2.

Here is the order as it pertains to Ethicon. Four other manufacturers, minus Neomedic, have also been called to the federal courthouse.

Here is the order.

This is a status conference but Judge Goodwin is calling all who have the authority to reach make major decision including any settlement offers from Ethicon, Boston Scientific, C.R. Bard, Coloplast and Cook Medical.

” It is ORDERED that (1) defendant client representative(s) with full authority to make all decisions related to MDL 2326; (2) in house counsel for defendant(s) with full authority to make all decisions related to MDL 2326; (3) settlement counsel (if any) for defendant(s); and (4) lead counsel for plaintiffs and defendant(s) attend the status conference. ”

Judge Goodwin is overseeing more than 70,000 pelvic mesh defective product civil actions.  In January 2012, the similar injury cases were consolidated in his federal court by the Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation (JPML).  Since then, the case load has swelled beyond the capability of any single court to deliver timely resolution.

Last February, Judge Goodwin brought representatives from all sides to confer on possible settlements with the thousands of plaintiffs. See background story here and here.

In February, Judge Goodwin asked the industry to stop fighting women in court and to bring about some resolution to these cases.  He predicted a rocky path for both sides if settlements were not forthcoming.

So far, American Medical Systems has vowed to settle its pending cases. Unofficial reports from Mesh News Desk readers are the settlements leave little or no compensation behind for the injured after legal fees and any outstanding debt is settled.

A dozen or so cases prepared for trial have been quietly settled by mesh manufacturers with no disclosure of the amount and no admission of liability.

At trial, seven manufacturers have faced jury awards in excess of $100 million, however Ethicon ( Johnson & Johnson) Bard and Boston Scientific have appealed those verdicts. #

1. turned down again..and again…im pretty much done i wrote Johnson and johnson..ethicon..actually got written back too..maybe i can work a deal with them…otherwise no money..no pain meds..i cant live like this any longer..may throw. in the towel here really soon….if so thx for the site that allowed me my opinion..jerry

• Linda says:

Jerry,

I get what you are saying but don’t give up yet.. It seems Judge Goodwin is trying to get things moving along. I understand the horrific pain you are in but it’s not time yet. Things are moving along more now then they have for the last 2 years. Do you have insurance for pain meds? I too have been where you are several times. Even following 2 surgeries i have been discouraged because of the on-going long term effects. It’s amazing though something happens in life that you say “wow I am thankful I was here for that”. I hope something can keep looking ahead. You are not alone with your hopeless thoughts. It is overwhelming to deal with but don’t let it take you there. Rest, look ahead and continue to be patient. I pray for you to find the strength not to give up. Yet I honor and respect your desire. It really is extremely difficult challenge with minimal support.

• kitty says:

JERRY IS MAN

• So understand my life us over as I know it I really want to die I have prayed at night to just not low me to wake up but I keep waking up I can’t get pain meds either not because if the money but because the FDA has a freeze on all pain meds. I can’t have intercourse can’t do much if anything husband is trying to be supportive but we now have separate bedrooms and separate beds I can’t imagine life being much worse and it was nothing I asked for. I feel like my life is just going on without me I know you can get yours to pain but can you ever get used to the loneliness, I don’t think so. I wonder how they would feel if they couldn’t enjoy life enjoy their spouses enjoy their family kids grandkids you think they’d want something done then

• Richard Howden aka All Meshed Up says:

Dear Jerry, I know that it seems very dark right now but you need to persevere and keep the faith. I felt the same as you many times. Sometimes because the pain went on and on with the Doctor’s not agreeing on a diagnosis or medication. Or being turned down by Lawyers , time after time, and sometimes, as the Motley Crew and the Johnson Group did, called me up after signing with them to tell me their criteria changed and I was no longer a client. There were times I cried, or screamed just to try and get it all out.

I started reading then writing on the Hernia Topix Forum, which I still do today. Anybody reading those pages back in 2007, 2008 and 2009 would be able to see I was in a very bad place mentally and physically. I had just had my 4th surgery where pieces of the Prolene, that had been removed 3 months previous, were found and removed along with my right testicle.

I am still in pain and have to deal with a mesh implant that cannot be removed because it is too dangerous. I just had my 5th and 6th surgeries due to a run away infection that almost killed me.

Although I have and continue to have problems related to mesh and the many symptoms that go with it, I am a happy man. I am still alive. I am up an about as much as I can and try to do the things that make me happy. I correspond with many Mesh Victims who are bed ridden, on infection pumps, have Diabeties and so many problems physically, mentally and financially, all from what happened after a Mesh implant. When you are faced with misery like that, I can only feel lucky.

You need to try to believe that a change will come. This article here show’s that there are so many women that are so badly injured by Mesh that it can no longer be ignored. Soon, Hernia Mesh will be included. There will have to be a Fund set up for Mesh Victims because there are so many of us now. YOU will be able to see “the light at the end of the tunnel” soon! Do not lose faith in yourself to keep going through ALL adversity! I know very well how you feel Jerry. I have been there, my Friend. Be strong and Keep the Faith. Be good to yourself.

Best Wishes……..

• DEBORAH says:

Jerry,

I did something like that with J&J and be careful, they wanted all kinds of info, and could, use it against you!

• Debbie says:

Deborah, i read your comment after i submitted mine. Thank you for that perspective. Maybe i will just let GOD deal with Johnson & Johnson/Ethicon.

• Debbie says:

Hi.. can you give me the link or email you sent to Johnson & Johnson? i want to tell them how horrible they are and how they should be ASHAMED of themselves for not taking care of us!! they KNOW their product is defective and all i can say is KARMA will visit them in some way, whether they or their loved ones have BLADDER attacks and THEN they will see what we are going thru! PAIN DOES NOT SHOW UP ON ANY XRAYS OR MRI’S!!

2. anonymous says:

Great they all meet BUT AMS! what the hell Judge Goodwin. I am the lady who wrote the anonymous letter I asked you to help me with AMS. I did not ask you to make a judgement or anything else but their vow is worth the toilet paper I wipe my fanny on every morning. I have been told because I am a seriously injured woman that I won’t get any kind of even chance to make a settlement possibly until next year. meanwhile I live in pain and trapped in my home no money for physical therapy or any other kind of the treatment that might help my pain go away. I have to learn how to live on pennies a day when I was making a lot of money before I got hurt. now it seems that you just ignore AMS because after all they promise to pay. yeah they want to pay me less than $100,000 when I’m losing over $500,000 in wages not to mention hospital bills attorney bills excetera excetera. my credit is so ruined because of medical bills it will never recover! I turn to you because I heard you were a good and fair man but give me a break this is ridiculous. unless you order these all to be settled by the end of the year or send them back to their states will never see a dime I’ll be dead before I get my money because I can’t continue to go on like this. the medications are riddling my body with all kinds of different stuff and now I’m getting other afflictions. my body hurts every morning I’m always sick to my stomach the headaches are ridiculous depression sometimes anger and I’m losing complete hope all because of AMS and judge Goodwin who seems to want to be a mouth service for everybody but that’s about it. if you don’t know how to bring this to an end judge Goodwin then perhaps you should step off of all these trials and find a judge with some guts to do something besides say come have a conference which leads to no good results. I don’t mean to be disrespectful and I probably AM and I apologize but I’m angry judge Goodwin AMS is promising promising but they’re doing nothing for us severely injured women who need the help the most!!!!! don’t get me wrong I have empathy for the other women who had one put in had a few issues and now they’re being paid 20 40 60 thousand dollars to go on the merry way while us severely injured women who can’t even go on our merry way can’t even hardly get out of bed in the morning can’t can’t can’t do anything hardly and we sit here waiting waiting for them to come to us and they never will because you’re not making them. not the weary deserve anything more than the average person who was hurt but if those of us who have been severely injured deserve to have first attention. sorry ladies I don’t mean any disrespect but even in a trauma hospital they treat the severely injured first!!! you tell me judge Goodwin when is this going to end this someone have to die to make something happen. because I promise you one thing if anything happens to me and my husband will go to the national news it will be blowing up and people’s names will be exposed to the horror that these women have got to live every day praying to God that someone doesn’t take their home. I’ve already lost the ability to be able to buy enough groceries to eat for a week I’ve already lost the ability to pay my bills. I’m not a young person anymore and so sometimes I just feel why fight it anymore why not just give up because that’s all I have left anymore its just a thought of giving up and going home to my sweet Jesus. at least then I will know fairness I will know just as I will know someone gives a s*** what happens to me. I appreciate the fact that you’re calling all these people in for the others and I hope and I pray that all these other ladies finally get their payday but what’s being offered is a laugh a ridiculous absurd unthinkable amount of money for what they have done to us. they have destroyed our lives for the rest of our lives in that could be 40 30 20 years but how are we supposed to live for the now those yours on little or nothing when we were making good money we were on our way to having the dreams of our lives and now a MS J & J bird all of them have taken our lives from us. the only thing many of us haven’t done it stopped breathing yet but we deserve the same kind of money that other women who got the chance to go to court received. but it lets each one of us women have the opportunity to go to court in their own state and to prove how badly they hurt will never see that kind of money and that is unfair unjust and it’s not what the American people want. I’m going to write down everything today judge Goodwin so my family knows what to do when and if I die. I’m supposed to have more surgeries but I can’t even have those until I get some money so I probably will end up dying because I can’t keep living on pills and N 24/7. sooner or later this poor body will give up I know you don’t really care at least that’s what’s coming across. ladies if you are hearing that AMS is settling I would believe it it’s been more than 4 years now for me and I’m sick of it. if they’re settling lawsuits I’ve heard of none I have friends who are AMS victims and they have not been contacted. Your damn lies AMS get with it prove to us that you’re an upstanding Midwest company. but stop the lies when you say all we promise to settle what a crock of crap. I apologize if I’ve offended anybody here who doesn’t deserve to be offended I’m just so sick of thus we beg we PLEASE we cry and no one is listeniang. I’ve done all I can I just give up.

• Kelley says:

Dear Anonymous,

I can sympathize 🙁 I have had 3 unsuccessful, painful surgeries (AMS). It’s been years since I filed. Can’t work, in pain all the time, and can barely take care of myself, much less my kids 🙁 Can’t afford to go to the doctor, or get meds, basically no life 🙁

3. anonymous says:

Would not believe AMS is making responsible settlements

• anonomous says:

Yea my niece filed after the deadline cause she didn’t even know what was wrong. Had 2 surgeries her last sling is from a cadaverous. She just got a check for $1800. She has to go in and have another surgery cause of all the blockage in her bladder. What a joke! Now you all know why we need to make a stand? The lawyers and Pharma big shots will take their money and run. We will be peniliess. When are going to get pissed off enough to get out and rally in your States,WV and NJ. The verdicts will be made, we will not get enough money to make ourselves ever whole again unless we be seen and heard.

4. anonymous says:

P.S. sorry but sometimes I think the attorneys are just as bad they say their hands are tied there’s nothing they can do they have to wait for this special committee to make all the decisions again I asked you judge Goodwin attorneys AMS how in the hell can you make a decision about me when you don’t even know about me. someone got their hand in the cookie jar and it sure is not a women what the hell is wrong with this country the judges the attorneys the doctors. I feel like I’m in the 1400 century. women don’t count and I’m sorry guys yes some of the guys don’t seem to count either. I’ve heard that severely injured women are in like 35 percent range but why not get the 5 percent range out of the way and then take care of the rest. because I am so you know it’s going to cost you a lot of money to try to restore some sense of normal life to these women. we will never be normal again many of us will die at a young age because of this. and maybe that’s the best solution to the pain and agony I live everyday just died a young life and it didn’t at least hopefully my family will be able to court and sue the pants off of AMS at least somebody will win out of this because I sure in the hell am not thank you judge Goodwin for not really doing anything. I apologize if your hands are tied but if you can’t do it find someone who can. I want my nightmare to end and I don’t have very many choices of how to bring that about.you have complete control over these cases judge Goodwin do something about it today!!!!!!

• Hal Lewis says:

There is nothing wrong with the judges and lawyers in our country. We have the best civil justice system in the world. In 75% of other countries, you would have ZERO rights against these manufacturers regardless of how badly you were hurt. Thankfully America has a contingent fee system in place that lets injured victims with little or no money hire the best and brightest bulldog lawyers to fight for them.

Yet when those lawyers finally prevail and get their clients a recovery… the LAWYERS (who took 100% of the risk of not ever getting paid for their work) get chastised????

Look, I understand that Mesh victims are suffering greatly… but so are people who get paralyzed in car accident and people who get mauled by pit bulls and people who get horribly burned due to defective vehicles. My point is this: EVERYONE IN AMERICA who has ever prevailed in a personal injury claim has had to pay their lawyer a sizeable contingent fee.

Thus, expecting things to be different just because this time the injured person was YOU and not someone else is unreasonable.

• Richard Howden aka All Meshed Up says:

Hal, the difference with a Mesh injury as compared to a car accident is HUGE! We are people that were supposed to be helped by this MEDICAL DEVICE but instead had our lives ruined by it. It takes time for the Mesh to do it’s damage so by the time you realize that you are sick, it is too late! The Manufacturers, Doctor’s and the FDA have known the problems that are inherent with Surgical Mesh for many, many years.We have been lied to by our Doctor’s! This is literally a scam perpetrated by these entities against us. This has NO circumstances anywhere near what a car accident is. Except we have the “ambulance chaser’s” too. I guess there is that.

• anonomous says:

Btw the way at least car manufacturers take responsibility and we get a recall notice in the mail before we d get injured. If the FDA could have warned us instead of seeing lawyers on TV. We wouldn’t have even known thus much. The FDA and Pharmacy companies need to take ownership. Cars get treated better than humans. That’s America Hal!

• Mel says:

The reason that cars get recalled and there is such a big deal is that they can take out a lot of people going down a highway if something goes wrong on a recalled part where if something goes wrong with our device it can only take out – US. It’s called loss prevention.

• gwendolyn says:

For one thing it’s not your money, it’s still in AMS hands and there’s no guarantees in this life. It sounds like you’ve decided your case is more important than every other mesh injured person, but who made the decision that your injuries are more severe than all the others? I knew going into this lawsuit that it was going to be a long drawn out process and I know there is no guarantee that I’ll ever see a dime. The money is not mine and I must live day to day with what little I have and I don’t count on what settlement I might get to make daily decisions. I can only count on what I have in my life at this moment.

• anonymous says:

the doctors that’s who! I’ve been told my injuries are extensiveand the damage done was terrible doctors words not mineI know many women have had issues with mesh and I pray and feel sorry for each one of them! but when you’ve had many surgeries can’t even count the other procedures anymore permanently disabled permanent damage to your body you can no longer enjoy life you can no longer hardly walk you can’t drive places excetera I can go on for pages about what this mesh did to me I’m not to say my injuries are worse than others I have no idea but I will say they are extensive and they have taken my life all I’m doing now is breathing as far as counting on the settlement I don’t count on it but I will get a settlement I deserve that it is not AMS right to hurt and mutilate women and then not be expected to pay so yes I expect a settlement for what they did to me I live each day not knowing what tomorrow will bring I count on nothing but myself but I have a right to be compensated for what they did to me I have a right to receive back what they took as much as possible sounds like you’re defending the medical companies and attacking me and I won’t stand for that I did nothing but go into a doctor and trust him to treat me for a minor condition that I really wanted to get under control from that day forward my life has been hell I’m losing my home I’ve lost a marriage I’ve lost a job all I can say since then is I’ve lost I’ve lost I’ve lost so I would appreciate it if you would not question anyone but question the medical companies why they allowed this to happen why they lied why they were not honest with the doctors I can tell you why all because of the almighty dollar and I hope that they go to hell because of what they did all in the name of money read your Bible it’s the worst thing in the world the love of money I don’t want more than then to compensate me for what they did to my body that can never be undone I just want them to pay for the medical and all the things that I have lost I deserve that much and the jury’s agree with me.j

5. jean says:

Does anyone know whats happening with the NJ MDL cases. I know they were given to judge matinotti, but their is no news on anything happening there eighther. It just seems like the justice system is dragging, I think there are not enough Judges for the quantaty of cases in this MDL.

6. anonymous says:

Hal I am sorry if I offended you. If my attorney does what he said he can do for me then by all means he deserves his fair share and I am happy to pay him! what I am upset about is the attorneys who seem to care for no one but their clients. Any one on this committee should be honest and say we don’t know what the other people have lost, how can we even begin to decide how much their cases are worth. I have been in the legal arena most of my life and I know how they think and it is shameful. NO NOT ALL ATTORNEYS ARE BAD. IF WE COULD GET RID OF THE BAD ONES THAN THAT WOULD BE GREAT! And please don’t tell me how great America is. Yes perhaps it is better than other countries but then again maybe not! One only has to listen to the news, open a some tell all books and you can see our country is going down hill fast with deceit and lies and corruption going on.

I do believe the people who injured us should have to pay enough to us to cover the legal fees. I believe the attorneys who actually do their jobs by putting their clients first should get paid more than they charge but, that cost should be paid by the defendants not the victims!

I just want the judge and the attorneys to stop stalling or talking over coffee or whatever. Put them in a room and say no one comes out until an agreement that the defendants and the victims can live with. Answer me this Hal “How long do we who need desperate help, who need more surgeries, who need medical care that they can not pay for, how long do we have to wait. Do me a favor tie one arm down during the next month. Also during that time don’t leave your house. See how it feels. Now add extreme pain to that daily and you will get a glimps of what we go through. I don’t hate anyone but I am frustrated with this so called committee who is suppose to make everything ok. IT WONT! PERHAPS YOU ARE ON THAT COMMITTEE HAL. I am sorry but we all agree the committee can never know what I lost. You can not come up with a figure until you know me and none of the committee members do!

We do need judges who will stand up and say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! IF YOU CAN GET A JUDGE TO MOVE THIS ALONG THEN BY ALL MEANS I AM HAPPY TO PAY YOU YOUR FAIR SHARE. BUT UNTIL THEN, US VICTIMS WHO ARE LEFT IN THE DARK DAY IN AND DAY OUT KNOW NOTHING. ATTORNEYS DONT CALL US, DONT COMMUNICATE WITH US. WE ARE TOLD WE MUST WAIT.

HOW LONG HAL, JUDGE GOODWIN, OUR DEAR COMMITTEE WHO IS SUPPOSE TO BE HELPING US. HOW LONG DO WE HAVE TO WAIT WITH NO HOPE, NO RAY OF HOPE.

If I offended you Hal I am sorry. You may be one of the good ones. But I also remember you telling us we must settle for a lot less than we deserve. I will die first than be damaged any more, I would rather die first before being lied to and screwed over again by these companies and the doctors and the medical sales people who say this is the Gold Standard. This is a holocaust of thousands of women and no one seems to care.

• Hal Lewis says:

I am not offended at all and have no problem with you being frustrated and angry. Trust me… WE ARE TOO as the lawyers who are trying to move these cases along. The MDL controls everything, so there is nothing we can do.

My firm has been working on these Mesh cases for 5+ years now… has spent tens of thousands on litigation expenses and discovery… but has not yet received a single dime for our work. And because of how MDL’s work… the “committee” cannot do anything until either the manufacturers decide to settle OR the Judge decides to free everyone up to start trying cases.

So I can assure you that lawyers for the victims — all of us who are working with no pay at the moment — are NOT the reason your case is dragging on!

But I can also tell you this: Our legal system never moves rapidly. Therefore, everyone who has ever been injured and had to file a lawsuit has gone through the same frustrations.

And remember, NOBODY is saying that you and all of the other victims are not hurt and are not experiencing terrible problems. You are! But as bad as your problems are, there are injured victims in the court system from car crashes, plane crashes, fires, elevator accidents, building collapses, etc… and all of THEM have to go through the same long legal process before they ever get justice too.

Try to look at it this way: Your injuries are the worst thing in the world TO YOU.

But to the man down the street who just lost his job and can’t pay his mortgage, HIS PROBLEMS are the worst thing in the world and he could care less about yours. That’s just human nature.

So when you wonder why the rest of the world is not rushing to set up a humanitarian aid fund to compensate mesh victims… remember that everyone has their own crisis that is front and central on their mind.

So in the end… the ONLY people who will be fighting for YOUR cause… are us lawyers.

• anonymous says:

thank you for your insight about how you’re feeling also it helps believe me. I think it’s just time for Judge Goodwin to release him and be done with it then we can all go forward. and believe me I’m about to lose my house too and I pray for the man down the street the woman laying in her bed I pray for all of us every day and believe it or not I even pray for our attorneys.

• Richard Howden aka All Meshed Up says:

Again, Hal, what happened to us WAS NOT AN ACCIDENT so PLEASE do not tell us that what we are dealing with has ANY similarity to someone hurt in a vehicle collision! We were told by Medical Professionals that we would be “fixed” and “helped” by implanting a MEDICAL DEVICE. A device that was APPROVED by the FDA and implanted by a Surgeon.

This has been going on for more than 5 years!

And I realize that you have invested time and money into your case but please excuse me when I say that your “pay day” will be a hell of a lot bigger than any of the Mesh Victims settlement involved in your MDL. And while you have been working on the case, each one of those Victim’s is trying to live their life lives through pain, surgeries and the worry of how they are going to live the rest of their lives. And unless your MDL is going to give these Mesh Victims several $100,000 each, what you do get them won’t do much good at all. And that is a fact. The MDL’s are a scam to get as many Mesh Victims through Court as fast as possible with as little damage to the Manufacturer’s as possible. And the only one’s smiling afterwards are the Manufacturers and the Lawyers. The Manufacturers can go back to making their Mesh that hurt the people in the MDL and the Lawyers can set up another MDL and start the process all over again.

• Hal Lewis says:

Yes, Richard, it WAS an accident.

There is no way you can really think that Bard and AMS and all these companies INTENTIONALLY developed a product that they KNEW would harm so many people and WILLINGLY put their companies on the brink of financial ruin. If they had wanted to do such an evil act, they would have just sold mesh that had ricin and anthrax in it. And they wouldn’t have spent billions of dollars trying to test it and improve it.

Were they NEGLIGENT in rushing it to the market without adequate testing? YES. And they should pay for it.

But this NOT like the lawsuits against Big Tobacco where there are actual documents proving the Big Tobacco knew they were killing people and they specifically said “Who cares, cover it up and keep selling cigarettes” for 50 more years.

But this is all beside the point.

My point was that there are millions of Americans who have been seriously injured by someone else and who are deserving of a large recovery… but who are going through the same delays and defense tactics as mesh victims are. It’s just the nature of our legal system.

But you are wrong about lawyers wanting the MDL to settle. That is NOT what I want. I want the opportunity to go to court and be one of those lawyers who gets a $5 million verdict… and then I want to do it again and again and again. So selfishly I am hoping that Johnson & Johnson gives us that opportunity.

But the other manufacturers are all too small for this to ever happen. The first wave of verdicts would knock them straight into bankruptcy.

Negligent- careless disregard for the outcome. Would that be a legal definition? But listening to trial testimony and seeing evidence presented in these trials I have to suggest we go beyond being negligent. When company executives discuss creating a dummy front company so they can continue to buy polypropylene and keep the supply coming from a petroleum company that specifically stated its raw material was not to be used in permanent medical implants. Intentionally deceptive coupled with negligence – doesn’t that take these acts into a new realm legally? What about launching the Prolift bypassing ANY FDA scrutiny? An accident act of negligence? Ignoring your own scientists who say this is the “worst of a bad lot” ….Knowing there would be complications yet also knowing there is no way to remove the offending mesh. I’ve not been to law school but as a juror I would find these heinous acts bordering on sociopathic actions. I’m sure this is discussed in law schools, at least I hope so. My gut feeling is it goes beyond simple negligence… Thoughts?

• Anon Advocate says:

Really Hal? I’m still shaking my head in disbelief that a “Lawyer” would even….. well, there’s just too many things to point out so I’ll just end it at Really Hal? And be grateful you’re not my “Lawyer”

• Mary says:

Hal, why are you still so hyper involved with our site? This is where we the injured come together to vent, cry , get info from one another, etc. it would seem to me that sharing your opinion through your article should have sufficed. Answering a question or two maybe, but why are you camped out here arguing with us?

Why?

Jane I agree as I’ve stated before these CEOs that sat there and knowingly( Hal it’s been proven) decided to use this garbage for humans should be tried as serial killers! I believe it should be a criminal offense ! I think AMS “settled quickly” because they did not want that kind of info to be revealed in trials.

Mary

MARY- I would ask you to be respectful to everyone who is welcome to add their opinion as long as they are civil. Frankly, I welcome the voice of a lawyer. Hal has only added his professional opinion which most of us know little about since we haven’t been to law school and have not been involved with mass torts. Why wouldn’t you want some insider information since law firms spend so little time talking to their clients. My opinion only but I see his voice as a plus not a minus. thank you.

• Mary says:

Jane I’m holding back really. But why haven’t you rebuked him. He is out of order many times and he is openly argument ice with us. Jane there is something really wrong here. I don’t feel that a site designed to help us should include an attorney trying to influence our decisions. I don’t see why you don’t see this has really crossed the line from informing to badgering close to bullying! The article was one thing jane but if I’m not mistaken he’s been monitoring attacking any opinion that rejects Ams news since December of last year. Jane something is rotten in Denmark.

Hi Mary. I’m not sure what you are referring to but I will call you. Hal has mesh cases. His opinion is valuable as well as yours. I do value your point and view and we can discuss it. I do believe there are some who see a bogey man under every rock. One must ask “Prove it” if you hear an accusation. They even think I’m up to no good… (why aren’t I rich then?) lol. Remember, this is a news and information site and just like a newspaper, all comments are welcome as long as they are civil.

7. anonymous says:

thank you Richard your words are my words. I’m just at a point that I don’t have any fight left. Hal is kind of saying its all up to Judge Goodwin so I say judge goodwin what the hell is the problem. it’s long past due to help all mesh victims.II just have one question I really didn’t want to become part of a global settlement or MDL why couldn’t I have filed this in my state and just gone to court this is taking forever and I just don’t have it

• evohn sartorius says:

I have had several operations along with a lot of pain. When will the judge tell these companies {boston scientific that enough is enough and give them a time that they must settle with us women?

• anonymous says:

it amazes me over the years how many women have said I have had several surgeries and I’m in a lot of pain. I wish I could tell you that you are unique and in your own right you are unique beautiful woman but I am sorry to tell you that for us women who have been hurt badly by mesh it is always surgeries with an s and not surgery. I wish I could tell you that you will get everything back that you lost. we can gather hope from what are attorneys may be telling us at times hoping that our settlement will be what we want that it will be enough to make life better and we go to sleep at night hoping and praying that that will be the truth. but in reality no amount of money can ever make things right again it would be nice if they would pay future medical costs but they won’t and be honest with you they have the upper hand because as much as I would like to believe there is an endless supply of money I don’t as much as I would like to trust them never to file bankruptcy I don’t as much as I would like to be compensated for all I’ve lost they never will be able to all we can try to do is go on and live our lives the best we can. we have been through war we’ve been through hell we cannot let these companies take the last shred of what we can claim is ours completely and that is our thought process we must try to think about how we can go on with life the best we can. too many women still need surgeries and they have no idea where they’ll end up. but as someone who has been going through this for years and years I’m going to tell you something stop thinking about the settlements. live your life as if there is no settlement. find a good mesh friend that can help support you. because as much as you would like to believe that you are so messed up that no one could be as messed up as you from the mesh believe it or not it could always be worse. I was at where you’re at thinking oh my god I’ve had so many surgeries and my body is so messed up from the mesh and I concentrated on that 24 /7. I know my mesh injuries are there yet i know what my body’s been through but everyday I try to look forward to the future and have dreams of what life might be like again someday. many of my dreams will never come true because of the disabilities that I have now but I will not let my company that took my body have my mind too. I will enjoy summer to the best of my ability I will look at flowers and watch kids playing and the times I will be sad because of so many things I can’t do but for one day at a time I’m going to look at the blue sky and try to find my happiness and in my quiet moments I will have my dreams

8. Tammy says:

Jane, I dont believe an attorney could have said it better. If you dont know your causing harm and doing wrong, you dont create. A dummy company to buy your HARMFUL product. You dont LOSE tons of documents. I could go on and on. Ive been apart of the LONG process over four years. I know we are tried and hurting. This has been a LONG process. However, the TRUTH is coming out. I do believe, Judge Goodwin is honesty and sees what the manufacturer Is doing. We do need to have PEACEFUL Rallies and stand up for ourselves. Thank you Jane, for all your hard work. Thank you, for being our voice and ALL your travel and keeping us in the loop. God bless you ladies, my mesh sisters……..Stand Up and Dont be Shut Up

9. Msm says:

The comment on AMS is spot on! There’s no excuse for paying off plaintiffs on the lower levels of the injury spectrum first. So many of the more severely injured are waiting for a settlement to finance more surgeries which will not be considered in any settlement. It seems as if there is no pressure on AMS to settle. No meetings with the judge, no deadline for fulfilling the promises made to the court when the ” settlement” was announced. It was all a means of getting AMS out of Judge Goodwin’s line of site. And it worked.

10. anonymous says:

AMEN!!!!

11. Anonymous Anonymous says:

Question Hal why does Ethicon Johnson and Johnson and Boston Scientific keep appealing these cases in which they clearly lost and with all off the over whelming evidence against Mesh coming out of the woodwork in recent cases is it a stall tactic is it that if they appeal each case they pay less.Hal in your opinion with this which Judge Goodwin has called for both sides to come to the table and work out a so called settlement is it going to happen? Thought we just saw this in February of this year also why is it so hard to get answers honest answers it’s us taking them to court through you lawyers but there never seems to be a place to get updates from lawyers except from Janes sight why do we have to surf the net trying to find out something when our lawyer should send a update at least once in three months this would be fine with me it would be better than not knowing nothing it’s four years now since filing my law suit.If I email my lawyer or assistant I do get replies but that’s when I email them I’ve also been told to be patient really patient I think we have all been patient I think we are all getting tired of being patient is this going to be settled and if so when?

12. Dotsdoll Dorothy Carpentry says:

Jane, seems to me that it has been men who have caused what happened to us, what’s happening to us, and what will happen to us, for the most part. Do they understand that the intimate part of our female body’s are just as important to us as theirs are to them. Would they tolerate theirs being incassed with a product that would destroy not only that part but cause harm to most of their other bodily functions. I’m older so I can except whatever comes, but I’m horrified at so many of the younger women that Doctors have implanted with mesh. Such a waste. The doctor who did mine is still on TV advertising, with a strait face. We need to grab up whatever we can change, just like all the women before us have, leave what we can’t change alone, put the anger and hate down and get to work.

13. kitty says:

Well Jane—so glad ur back in the loop. Is the mesh they use now the same formula they used in early

2000

The Prolene used by Ethicon hasn’t changed is my understanding. According to trial testimony J&J wanted to hang on to its 16 years of alleged research…

• Debbie says:

SHAME on Johnson & Johnson/Ethicon!!!!!! the ETHI in Ethicon should be taken OUT because that sounds like ETHICAL and there is NOTHING ethical about them!!!!!! I never wish anything bad on anyone but I do believe in KARMA and KARMA will be paying a visit to those who would appeal a decision to help thousands of injured people due to THEIR negligence.

14. anonomous says:

I would suggest to you mesh victims to document ALL your losses. Wages,401k,bonuses, vac earned, medical bills, gas to Dr appts, physical therapy, loss of your marriages, relationships, pain and suffering etc. I know mine had exceeded $1million so far. Your attorney’s will need this info. Do it now don’t wait!

15. meshedforlife says:

What about trials to be held in Middlesex Court in Boston? Very concerned about MDL’s being separated. Lack of communication and compassion = constant trampling on pain & depression.

• Darci Porter says:

I have the same feeling and I am very upset that my attorney filled my case in Boston when that is where the medical device headquarters are at !!! I ask for my case to be filled in texas but it did not happen , so I think me and my husband will be siting up a meeting with attorney because I filled my case in 2011 and I am fed up with this crap and I still think we should all go to the judge court room and demand our voice to be heard !!! I can promise you if this happen to MEN they would have already reached a settlement

• Priscilla says:

Darci, your case must be filed where your primary residence is. Though the law firm that “represents” me is located in NY, I reside in Texas, therefore it is filed in my local county.

16. Richard Howden aka All Meshed Up says:

Dear Dorthy, your not in Kansas anymore. What do you mean it is men that are at fault? Did you go to J&J and discover that every facet is controlled by, run by and completely employed by men? No women at J&J? No women at Bard or AMS.

Jane! We have discovered what has been happening and it must be investigated! J&J hire men only! It is amazing that they have been able to hide this fact from us all for so many years! But that doens not explain the 100’s of 1000’s of men irreprebly damaged by Hernia Mesh. Or all of the women for that fact that had Hernia Mesh go bad in them. Hmmmm.

Dorthy, really? There may be a “Conspiracy” but I can pretty much assure you that some where in all of this there is a women who is either selling it, marketing it, manufacturering it and definately has been involved in INSTALLING Mesh. So get off the anti-men kick and come back to reality.

Surgical Mesh has been used in Men, Women and some young adults with horrible effect. Mesh does not discriminate . Please try to remember that the next time you want to rant about men.

• Barbara says:

My case has been going on since 2008. I had to quit my beloved Nursing profession. Richard is right. I chose a female to do my surgery and she warned me of NOTHING. Even tho there was an FDA warning in place. We had a good banter about her needing to put her kids through Private College.My bladder was prolapsed. I trusted another WOMAN for sensitivity,honesty. Here I sit after 8 years of anguish and despair. My husband drove me round trip x 4 to Tallahassee over 300 miles each way to see a Plastic surgeon who was a URO/GYNO AND Plastic surgeon. He removed all the mesh he could then told me merely minutes before going to ER(while I was under sedation) that he would remove all the eroded mesh he could but would create or use a unique substance like “cow hide””something” I found out from my attorney when he sent the Boston Scientific container to lab as requested that he just used more mesh. Heeven joked about leather belt buckle.Otherwise I would go home with “upside down Vagina”.My life is changed forever. In hindsight, I wish I could have used what women used in 1800s, a “Pessary” made of rubber.As a medical professional myself I am appalled at how women and men have been treated in the name of the almighty dollar. It truly is the root of all evil” In spite of

Judge Goodwins efforts to get JUSTICE yet seems he has no power over these out of control profit driven companies. There is a video I watched years ago with CEO of J&J pumping up his sales people by saying “You don’t have to wait until the product is 100% right, just get to 80% and GO !

• Debbie says:

I had the same feeling as Dorothy at first.. until my attorney told me that there are females in executive roles at j&j/ethicon. smh

17. Richard Howden aka All Meshed Up says:

Prolene Mesh has gone through several changes over the past 16 years of use. The original manufacture of Prolene made the Mesh very thick, not very pliable and , literally, 100 times stronger than it needed to be. The video made by J&J/Ethicon promoting their new, thinner, more pliable Prolene also brought up the fact that J&J/Ethicon knew this. The Doctor discussing and promoteing the new Prolene mentiones that J&J will have a problem in the coming years because the Mesh turns hard, twists or balls up thus encapsulating near by tissue and tearing it as it it does this. Prolene back then had a bad habit of breaking apart and migrating to near by tissue or organs where it starts lacerating it. Some patients reported it cutting through the skin and coming out that way. Mine balled up and broke apart within a year.

Prolene Mesh is just another example of Polypropylene’s inherent danger when installed in the body for any length of time. J&J knew this back then but still used this same material to make Gynecological Mesh’s.

And to answer Hal’s question, Yes I do believe that AMS, Bard, J&J, Ethicon, Boston Scientific and the rest damn well knew and know what this material is all about. And if you were any kind of Attorney that represents Mesh Victims YOU should damn well know that too!. Investigate the history of Surgical Mesh, it origins, what it is made of and the labratory findings of it and take a walk through the FDA’s MAUDE data base while you are at it. You may make money off of us but you sure as hell do not know about us. We are not an “ACCIDENT” we are the Lab Rats that the Manufacturer’s needed to make the money they are. YOU are just another component of the whole farce!

18. Dotsdoll Dorothy Carpentry says:

Richard, not a rant against men, did you miss the (for the most part). My point was to compare how we feel about our sexual organs in a nice calm way. If you’ve had mesh then you know what I mean. I don’t think most of the men on the other side understand, it would be the same as their penis, get it. Historically women have had to work ten times harder for rights that men take for granted are theirs. We mesh women welcome all the men who have been injured by mesh but make no mistake, this huge battle will be carried by the women, just as most human rights issue’s are. And you know what, we can do it, all hundreds of thousand of us. And I’m not from Kansas.

19. Lisa (Florida) says:

Thank you for the new update Jane!

Can anyone make it to WV on June 2nd for the big “Status Conference” meeting? According to Judge Goodwins Order, ALL the Defendants Atty’s “with full authority to make all decisions related to the cases” and “settlement counsel (if any) for defendant(s);” will be there and i think this is the absolute BEST opportunity we have to show up in mass force and let them know just how WE feel.

They will all be there, they have to be, the Judge ORDERED it! Let’s be there too!

The Judge has given us a perfect opportunity here……

20. Toni says:

Yes Dorthy we will fight this. And Richard you should join us in this fight. We have all been harmed by these products but as Dorthy pointed out we as women are injured in a very personal way. Because it affects our womanhood. I just turned 50 and I am a single woman. Although I am attractive and can get dates as soon as it turns into something that may be intimate and I have to tell them about the mesh and my medical problems they run fast. I don’t want to die alone and it gets very lonely but that is what I am faced with. I have 2 sons almost grown and have lived with this since 2006. Prolift and TVT both. I have had 2 revisions and live on pain pills everyday. I am traveling to St Louis to see Dr Veronikus the 23rd and am hoping he can help me, I can’t continue to live this way. It has taken almost 10 yrs of the best part of my life and about to take my Carreer as well.

21. kitty says:

Death row imates should be implanred and studied in leu on being gassed or injected. Of course, they should be given the option.

22. Richard Howden aka All Meshed Up says:

Dear Ladies, I have been fighting to get the FDA to start representing us and I have been informing and corresponding with the Mesh injured all over the world since 2007 through the Topix Hernia Forum.

Have any of you contacted the FDA Criminal Invesitigative Division? No? I have. I spent two weeks talking to 3 different investigators concerning the fraudulent claims and advertiseing that J&J is doing along with their Mesh’s failure rates.

Have any of you contacted the Attorney General’s of 23 States trying to get them to Investigate Mesh Injuries? I have.

Have any of you contacted the V.A. asking them about their mass installation of Mesh products and how many Veterans have been injured by them? I have and I now have a group of fellow Veterans that were installed with Mesh usually for minor Hernia’s when a stitch job would have been sufficient.

Have any of you contacted major Hospital’s in your area investigating their statistics of Mesh failure? I have and found that the Hospital’s are NOT keeping track of them nor are they aware how many.

How many of you spend time on line with the Mesh injured? I do every day as I try and inform them about their rights, what to expect with a Mesh injury, what their particular mesh is known to do, how to retain and build an evidence package to use when possible, what Doctor’s they may be able to talk to about a Mesh removal and to supply a shoulder or an ear.

And Dorthy, Hernia Mesh is placed, many times, very close to the sexual organs of both mesh and women with devestating effects. Many Hernia Mesh patients have huge open wounds caused by infections and the Mesh breaking apart and migrating. Many of us are so badly injured as to be bed ridden. These are the same symptoms that many of you women describe as happening to you. It does not matter how the Mesh is used, Dorthy. Many of the injuries are just as bad, just as devestating and all are permanent.

I have been in this “fight” for a long time, Ladies. I come on here to represent the Hernia Mesh injured who have been left behind by the Court’s and the Lawyer’s. I come on here because I respect what Jane Akre has and is doing. I come on here to read the latest from the world of Gynecological Mesh that Jane publish’s. I hope that you will join OUR fight against Surgical Mesh not just Gynecological Mesh or Hernia Mesh because we ( Bruce Rosenberg and I) have been out here fighting against ALL Mesh for a long time. I hope to see you at a Rally this year in D.C..

Best Wishes……

Richard… please tell the time and location… Let’s do a story! Thank you for all you do. Your fight is a lonely one because the FDA refuses to even acknowledge hernia mesh injuries. It is criminal.

23. tammy says:

This mesh mess has so consumed my life from the lies and pain i have been threw for many years now all i can do is pray that one day justice will prevail i think some times im domed in this total night mare i feel like i want to fight but no one really understands unless there going threw this i did not commit a crime i just trusted my doctor for that im living in such misery i just do NOT unstand how it just keeps draging out i do not trust anything much any more an my kids are suffing to because they are watching me go threw this an they are all i have left because my womanhood was taken to that awful day an whats crazy is that there was a time i thought i was the only one feeling like this so sad.

24. Tammy ( KY) says:

Richard, my father has mesh. ALL mesh hurts. Thanks for all your hard work and knowledge. Tammy, praying with and for you. Hold your kids and love each other each day, that’s all each of us have.

25. Dorothy Carpenter says:

Toni, 2006 for me too.

26. kitty says:

is mesh installed or implanted ?

• Richard Howden aka All Meshed Up says:

Hello Kitty! I have used both words when describing a surgery where mesh has been placed, incorporated etc into the body.

We really should start using the same wordage when it comes to Mesh and everything involved with it. I was never told I was going to get a Mesh product( Prolene) when I got a Hernia fixed in 2006. Nor when it had to be removed and the Surgeon never told me that Mesh could possibly used to fix the hole. So, maybe we can call that Stealth-Mesh? lol

27. PLC says:

I had my surgery in 2004.

I have had several surgeries and have yet another to go through.

It is the gift that keeps on giving . 🙁

As long as the polypropylene is in the body, it will continue

to cause major illness and your body will not be able to fight

anything. I am 51 years old and have lost the past 11 years trying to live

a normal life. My body feels as though it’s slowly being poisoned.

The list is too long to go into but what I can tell you is what you are seeing two

and three years after your initial surgery is nothing compared to what else

your going to see in the coming years ahead. No part of your body is safe.

28. anonymous says:

dear meshedforlife I would love it if the Judge finally decided to send these back to the states then we could get some forward moment. Right now my case is stuck in the hands of Judge Goodwin and the committee who has a scale to decide what I should be paid. I do not want to be part of the MDL. They have no idea what I have lost. I have been told that when my case goes back to my attorney we will make a demand for a payment for what my attorney and I believe my case is worth. If they don’t want to pay then we will set a court date. In my state that is about 15 months to 2 years. That’s ok because then I would at least have a date. I would rather trust the average person than the people who are in control of each one of our pay amounts and days. So far 99.9% of the juries have found in favor of the victims. My case is strong and open and shut. I was not hurt or disabled before this. I did not have to have several surgeries and more coming before this.

AMS will have to pay me for my wages, my 401k I lost, all the vacations I lost, what about the raises I could have obtained and my bonus, my pain and suffering, the lost of my relationship with my husband, my medical cost, my future estimated medical cost, my PERMANT DISABILITIY! AMS I am ready to settle and go away but you need to get real. Look at the court case amounts that have been offered. You need to get closer to that then we can talk. I am not some stupid ignorant woman. Before this I did not know a lot about product injury cases. But thanks to you I know have a lot of time because I can no longer work thanks to you to educate my self. So don’t be worried if your case is not part of the MDL (at least that is how I feel). This Judge and committee can hold these cases up for a long time yet. I want to move forward.

What I really want is my life back. I want enough money to help to restore my life to the best of its ability. I want money to try every treatment I can find to get rid of this constant pain. The stress of the daily pain has taken its toll on my life. I want something to happen in my case. But I have been told nothing can be done until the Judge orders these cases back to the attorneys. I will not accept some global settlement. And in my person opinion neither should you if you have had serious injuries and several surgeries. The amounts that they are offering is insane. If what they are offering you seems fair to you then by all means go for it. But please do not sell your self short on what you deserve. Because once you agree and sign there is no going back and saying “wait a minute now I have this”. Sorry to late you signed the papers. Just remember that.

I say go for it send them back so we can all start getting a chance to finalize this all and go on with our lives

• Kitty says:

I like what you said once you sign you can not go back andf ask for more.

• anonymous says:

who told you you had to pay disability back I don’t believe that’s true at least they never told me that. I’m going to be disabled for the rest of my life so I’m not paying disability anything at all I paid in I’ve earned the right to get that money back because I became disabled.

• Anonymous Anonymous says:

Anonymous I had to sign papers to get my disibility from the company which my work place has for benefits it’s asked on the questions are you involved in a law suit if so you had to fill that section out we called my lawyer to ask about these questions and paying back the money’s I would receive if approved.Our lawyer stated yes we do have to pay back the money if you get a settlement the lawyer said that they are not allowed to double dip meaning they can take more than they paid you it’s really not fair if your disibility is coming from the government your fine it’s the the big companies like Manulife I can’t understand why but this is what it is for me.My lawyer stated that it’s better than not getting nothing so I’m really hoping that these casses are settled fairly for all as I’ve been on disibility just under a year with this benefits company from

my work place I think they only pay for two years for permanent disibility I don’t know what happens after that I would have to see if I could get a government disibility pension as I have been told I can’t go back to work either.Some laws here in Canada are just screwed up so I hope I didn’t put a scare into you as Manulife has most likely different rules here in Canada it really does not make any sense just greed that’s all.

• Jose says:

Some states have made whole laws. This law makes it so these companies can not get paid until YOU have been made whole.

No one from this cluster will ever be made whole, those fortunate to live in made whole states will not Have to deal the harassment from disability companies or insurance companies.

• anonymous says:

I had hoped a letter to judge Goodwin would make him understand how desperate we all are how much we need the money for further treatment how much we need the money to take the place of what we’ve lost in our earnings I hope you realize that most of us are on the verge of losing our homes relationships have already been lost marriages have been crushed and now the only people that call us or collection companies but it seems a judge good what has turned a deaf ear to also

29. Anonymous Anonymous says:

The thing I am really upset about is I have paid into my disability benefits at work I finally got them just to find out that when this is all done and settled I have to pay back 100% to the disibility benefits ensure re on top of what I have to give to my lawyer where’s the justices in all of this.Who really wins when this is settled it sure won’t be us these big corporations just seem to get a peace of everything why pay into benefits and when I need to use them with a hard time getting them at first I’m great full I have some money coming in but why do I have to pay them back just because I’ve been hurt my life has been turned upside down waiting and waiting for a settlement just to give half of it away.Your dammed if you do and your dammed if you don’t.

• Kitty says:

I never heard of anything so stupid. Why would you have to pay disability back?

• Richard Howden aka All Meshed Up says:

The possibility for Subjugation of Settlement payments by the Government is quite likely if Medicare or Medicaid paid for your surgeries. This is also the same for a surgery done done by a Workmens Compensation Insurance claim.

I also know of at least one MDL participant that said “NO” to the settlement amount, had not recieved any money, but was contacted and pursued by the Treasury Dept. for SSDI payments recieved while suffering from Mesh damage.

Combine that with the FDA not doing a damn thing about Mesh injuries and you got a great horror movie.

30. Shirley says:

Hello Jane,

Thank You for keeping us updated. I believe theres a small mistake in your article the one with full authority is MDL that Judge Goodwin gave them is Ethicon (J& J0 attorneys 2327 not 2326 http://www.wvsd.uscourts.gov/MDL/ethicon/pdfs/PTO_168.pdf

Which I think is a shame because you know they are not going to be fair because they claim their products wasn`t defective it`s really a shame if they only knew how much they have damaged so many of us for life and yet they feel no shame.

31. anonymous says:

or is that just for your work benefits

• Anonymous Anonymous says:

Yes work benefits Anonymous it still does not make any sense to me what can you do

• anonymous says:

FYI it is my understanding and everything I can find on the internet, that you only have to pay back disability benefits that you receive from your employer if you are on Social Security disability insurance you do not have to pay that back only private companies want their money back so security disability benefits is based on the amount of time you worked not your personal injury cases

• Anonymous Anonymous says:

I’ve worked at the same place for twenty five years and paid into my disibility through the work benefits as far as I’m concerned it’s not right I was shocked when I found this out if I wasn’t in a law suit say I had an illness that I could not work I wouldn’t have to pay nothing back it sucks thanks for your input.

32. abandoned says:

I have the Boston Scientific Obturator (midline) bladder sling implant, have been to my deposition with BS attorneys. They have completed their deposition with the implanting doc. and have requested another deposition, with my daughter ( she is the one who called and said ” Mom, when I took you to the Dr. for bladder surgery…didn’t it have mesh?) I said yea, why….she said ” I know you don’t like TV …. but they are talking about it, it is everything that has happened to you since that day…” ” that is when you started changing into someone I didn’t know…after that”. And…I said “but my GYN told me there was nothing wrong with my bladder or my sling, and I went back to her complaining for at least a year and a half”. I honestly believed my doctor…and thought well….she would know…I have lost my mind. Honestly, I think she believed BS and thought I was a nut job. Then, I answered one of the mass marketing advertisements….they called and called, telling me it didn’t matter what I thought…if I had the mesh I had to sign the papers.

There is a lot more…however, I will say that I went to a pain management doc almost immediately after surgery who gave me steroid injections which helped, put me in physical therapy….it did nothing.

Eventually with no help from my so called legal team…I found out that indeed the pain in my pelvic area and back, and inability to urinate or pass bowels was real, not in my head! It was neurological! I was in shock and really had a hard time wrapping my head around it, because my ex was a plastic surgeon and I took him for a mesh implant in 2005. His best friend a general surgeon did it and I knew neither one of them would do something harmful to him.

Well, for you guys with mesh… My transvaginal mesh was implanted the end of 2010…my ex had his explanted between 2009 and 2012. He was diagnosed with Mavis Gravis, when they went in to remove the mesh…it was wrapped around his intestines and stomach. The surgeons that dissected it left him with a stomach the size of an altoid box. His sight became so bad that he can no longer perform surgery and is doing wound care. He has a chemo port implanted…no longer used because he had adverse effects to the chemo. Yep….I left him when he had mesh, was irrational, a crazy maker and now he has gone through all this loss alone, just as I am. He was having it removed when I was having it implanted! OMG!

• Kitty says:

Has anyone been diagnosed with FUCH’S Dystyrophy?

• janet says:

I

My attorney sent a update Web video from my attorneys. .
      Sad thing about it is basically he stated we will not get what we want are what we should receive from being butchered from these manufacturers. ..butchering is my word..that we should take offer because these companies have no money. .it makes me wonder what the hell side he is working on…so,the way I heard it is that attorney is more worried about what he is making out of this….it also stated that there will be no monies settlements this year..so here we sit going into another year and nothing but bad health from these manufacturers. .I think is about time to see what other route I should take to handle what this manufacturer has done to me..and to the other women out there..these attorneys are only for themselves and not for us if so they would not be taking from the poor to feed there needs …I believe that they are only taking care of themselves – shame on them

Janet- Sit in a trial. YOu will see the attorneys work like dogs to put together these cases and spend hundreds of thousands of dollars. That may not change your opinion but know they are working for you… at least the trial attorneys are… the few women who have won multi million dollar judgments are evidence of that and some day they may actually see some of that money…..

• msm says:

AMS has “settled” well over a year ago….yet nothing is really “settled”. Some time table has to be indicated by Judge Goodwin or these other companies will “settle” but no one will see anything for years (if at all) while the manufacturers employ stall tactic after stall tactic. Again, the benefit of the system goes to the guilty.

• Barbara says:

Starting to slightly “appear” like Judge is getting paid off. Not saying I believe this but he promised to bulldoze these cases out of court ASAP. That is Not happening in spite of everything. But I don’t work in judicial system so I am clueless as to the “Power” of a judge.

Judge Goodwin is well aware of the travesty that has occurred in my opinion and is doing what he can given the limits of the system. Stand by! One court was never set up to handle so many cases so this is unprecedented…

33. abandoned says:

Looking back at the time line…I am thinking OMG…neither one of us would have ever guessed that this new mesh could cause so much unknown BS! Anyway, there is no hope of us getting back together. However, I will do my best to get him to step forward and join the man group! He read my OR, looked at the brochure, and took a diagram I had brought to our first meeting after several years and drew on it and wrote all the bones, muscles, etc. and offered to advocate for me. He has explained to me about septated cyst, macrophages, infection gone wild … etc. I will do what I can to bring him on board for you men out there! I need to talk to Jayne about it.

34. abandoned says:

For me personally…paying back disability, insurance companies, Medicare, Medicaid, prescriptions, taxes on settlements…etc. are the responsibility of the attorney’s. The responsible and empathetic ones will tell you…the other ones will be dismissive or treat you like a dumb ass for asking and make all kinds of excuses why they can’t talk about it (including their fee + all the other law firm fees from others they are divvying up with). Oh yea, I can’t get any answers…of course if I do…I can’t believe them…they have lied and

• Richard Howden aka All Meshed Up says:

The Lawyer’s may pay the subjugated monies at time of settlement but if you think they are going to pay a dime out of their fee’s, you may want to re-think that.

Since I have not spoken to anyone who has had an individual case won in Court I cannot say how it is set up with paying subjugated monies. What I do know is about the MDL system where you most likely will not have any idea that you are going to be paying back Medicare, Medicaid, the IRS, Insurance companies etc until you get a check. If you get a check.

I have “talked” with many Mesh Victim’s whose main complaint about their legal representation is lack of information. And these complaints started way before any settlement was announced. When the settlement is announced, of course everyone is releaved that “it is over” and money will be forthcoming. But this is where the lack of information really hits home when one Mesh Victim gets paid and tells someone involved in the MDL who has not been paid. Then the amounts are different even though they were supposed to be in the same category. All in all it is a complete mess after waiting for years for your “Substantial Settlement” only to find yourself in a void with no responses or answers from the Lawyers. And you have not even said “NO” yet to what you are now hearing is ridiculously low settlement amounts.

Most of the Mesh Victims involved in the Rhode Island Bard/Kugel MDL signed up with a local Attorney that they either saw on TV or looked up on the Internet. What they do not realize is that the Lawyer they signed with will NOT be the Lawyer in Court. Their case has been sold to another Law Firm such as the Motley Crew, Motley Rice or to the Johnson Group who will then review your case to see if you meet their criteria. If you do not meet their criteria you will be informed eventually that you are no longer being represented. Your chance at getting compensation for your damage is now over. The likelihood of getting another Lawyer to represent you after you have been denied is about nil. Especially if you are a Hernia Mesh Victim. Many of these folks that were able to participate in the MDL were also given a gag order. I know of at least 3 people right now that are still waiting for their money even though the majority have recieved their’s a couple of years ago. They have no idea what is going on and what they can do. They get no information from their Lawyers and are ignored when they leave messages. This is one of the many reasons I do not like the MDL system. It is an unfair process with too many fingers in the pie and little regard to the Mesh Victims who so badly need their settlement money. Although a 1-800 line was supposed to be set up for the Mesh Victims to call for info, I never found it or talked to anyone who used it or found it either.

I hope that Judge Goodwin is about to change that, at least for you women. As far as Hernia Mesh Victims, we have been left behind by the Lawyers who saw more potential for profit with the Gynecological Mesh. There are some Lawyers that are out there now collecting names and medical files on Hernia Mesh Victims but there are no Court proceedings in the works anytime soon for them.

I believe that there are just too many of us now for the Courts to handle properly and the “authorities” need to realize this. Court cases from here to eternity is not prudent nor effective when punishment for the Manufacturer’s needs to be metted out but isn’t. And the fact that the amounts of settlement are so small as to be an insult not an award should make any Mesh Victim question the MDL system.

Best Wishes………

35. Bec Canterbury says:

I live near Charleston I’m showing up on the 2nd

36. Jane R says:

And we have not seen people that have had the mesh for 40 years yet.

What’s the prediction for that? And the scary part is that not every

doctor can remove the mesh. Only a few in this country are experts.

If I had to have my mesh removed asap, I would be in trouble.

I can’t afford to go out of state. And I’m not even sure my insurance

would approve an out of state surgery. Limbo for the rest of your life.

37. Mesh Nightmare says:

Dear Anonymous,

I saw that on April 6, 2015 at 11:06 am you said you did not want to be a part of the mdl and cited various reasons.

YOU CAN DO THAT and be able to proceed with other options that would benefit you. All you have to do is advise your attorney and/or Judge Goodwin’s court clerk to remove your name from the MDL.

Most of us in the MDL are severely injured just as you are. We struggle with feelings of desperation and look to our fellow sisters in mesh pain for support.

I wish you well in whatever path you take.

Mesh Nightmare

38. My attourney told me that I had no choice but to wait for the MDL. I hear about trials in Texas and California. Is my attourney lying to me. Can I file a suite locally and pull my name from the MDL. I hope someone can give me a real answer to this not a lie. Kansas is were I reside.

39. Sick and Tired of being sick and tired says:

I am now fighting the Social security administration because my bladder sling (mesh) caused severe infection and I ultimately ended up on a ventilator and feeding tube for 7 days! I have already died from this sling that was going to enhance the quality of my life but really ended life as I knew it. I have so many systems failing I am just hoping to stay alive long enough to actually feel alive again. I am so fed up by the surgeons inserting these telling me how cost is an issue for them and they are affordable for their practice,. I don’t think I will survive a surgery to remove it and yet if I don’t I can’t hand them proof on a silver platter just my 5 years of hell on paper according to someone else who may or may not have even heard me in the first place. I am never having another thing put in my body: including more tubes down my throat since my voice has been very affected. I have no clue how these companies CEO’s sleep at night. I don’t think people matter anymore and the attorneys and doctors and manufacturers have done me no favors to this point. I have paid an astronomical amount only to be told it could not be removed entirely or it would include an in depth and grueling recovery! Really? That is the story of my life now. Thanks Doc, I would have passed if I had known but I will never quit fighting until God decides its my time to quit. I have resigned to getting justice for everyone and I really can’t plan my life anymore since this surgery to have something that is ultimately killing me implanted. I will never feel the same about the WESTERN MEDICINE aspect of life and I will no longer participate in doing what I am told. I have learned the lesson the hard way and oh yeah the chronic infection also affects the brain and starts to damage your ability to speak and recall memories like I used to,. Yeah, I would say run if anyone ever asks about putting any foreign objects in your body EVER!

I’m so sorry. If it makes you feel any better, most people are denied Social Security the first time they apply. The government is looking out for fraud presumably. Many have to retain an attorney to show they are serious. My understanding is the attorney is paid a portion of what you retrieve, in other words, you may not have to pay them out of pocket. I’m sorry this is happening to you!

• anonymous says:

Dear sick and tired, I understand. I have been through so much too that was unnecessary if the doctor had only been honest and forth coming with all the information he had. I can only guess at his motives for not but I will keep them to my self. I wish I could tell you it will get better but I can’t. The afflictions keep coming to many of us who have been meshed injured. These are issues that we must deal with the rest of our lives. As one doctor said to me, “you never had any of these issues before mesh, I have to believe in my opinion that all of this was brought on by mesh.”

There are days when you will want to give up but won’t. There are days you will feel imprisoned in your own home. There are days when all you want to do is cry. The next day you will want to yell at everyone. I don’t know the answers because we are all navigating in a new ocean. No one has data on this as to what we can expect. Everyone is trying something to see what might help. For all of us it could be something different. I have been blessed with people who I have reached out to and who have reached out to me through MND. If you can find someone to share with I have to say it has helped me. I am grateful for friends who understand and listen to me even if I just want to complain.

I WILL AGREE NO ONE WILL EVER PUT ANYTHING IN THIS BODY AGAIN EVER. EVEN IF ITS A KNEE OR HIP OR ANYTHING! IF IT WEARS OUT THEN IT WEARS OUT.

It is to bad that our trust in doctors has been taken from us. That is something I will never get back ever.

Judge Goodwin send these cases back to our attorneys! We need something done soon!!!

40. Tammy (KY) says:

Sick and Tried,

I too was denied for disability, for 4 years. Medical records, doctor filing out SS forms Is the only way to get SS disability. They deny everyone, the first time. I had to have a court appeal. Medical records and a couple doctors filing out the SS Disability Medical form. Be blessed and Dont give up.

41. annonynous says:

To all of us victims of the transvaginal mesh…please contact date line with Lester Holt. I did..I’m hoping June 2 that date line with be in Charleston to cover this. The. Manufacturers won’t be able to walk away from media coverage. This is what we need ladies…please do the same the more requests date line gets the better our chance….LET’S Do IT.

We need this for the justice we deserve

42. Toni B. says:

I have my case filed in NJ federal court. It will be 3 years on July 25th. My manufacturer is Ethicon. Is there any updates on these lawsuits? Does my attorney have to go to the meeting on June 2nd and can we go as well? I am 35 now and had my implant placed in may 2010. I was a RN and have lost my job, my career, my husband, basically I am ruined financially, physically and emotionally. I can’t stand or sit for any length of time, the pressure and pain and swelling are horrific and no doctors want to see you or treat you for the pain and complications. I hardly leave my parents home anymore and I stay depressed. I’ve had 20+surgeries and have to cath myself through my belly button for the rest of my life or untilnmy bladder that is made of bowels breaks down and then I will have a urinary bag. When will we get some relief??????? My daughter lost her childhood because of this. She has seen me have to be in ICU septic and almost die from 2 of my surgeries. I’ve had to have blood transfusions and antibiotics don’t work because I’ve built up a resistance to them because I have to use them so much. So excuse me if I’m pissed that Johnson and Johnson doesn’t acknowledge any wrongdoing and refuses to settle any cases and appeals any verdicts. They are going to end up paying out more than if they settle. And I wouldn’t be happier if they end up bankrupt after everyone gets their fair share for punitive and compensatory damages. Is there anyone out there that has the extensive surgeries and a new bladder made from bowels like me? What kinds of injuries does everyone suffer from?

• Mesh Madness says:

I am praying for all of us, men and women alike. After over 4 years of excruciating suffering I have found a way to be thankful for my Mesh Complications. I thank God it happened to me and not my 36 year old daughter with 4 children or her husband. I thank God it happened to me instead of my 40 year old son or his wife. I thank God that this will go down in History with my family and friends, prayerfully hoping my experience will keep them from ever, ever, ever, allowing polypropylene from being implanted in their body. I pray that they will be tested for allergies to any other type of foreign body prior to having any type of implant. I am thankful to God that their emotional suffering and confusion over what has happened to me will end the day I die.

If there is anyone you love enough to lay your life down and die for…Thank God it is you and not them. This turn in my thinking has given me strength to go on despite …..and everything else that is still to come.

You are amazing in your graciousness Mesh Madness. Do you have competent medical care? Please get back….. thank you for your words. ~ ja

43. Tammy ( KY) says:

Toni, There is women going to WV June 2. We would love for you to come also. Yes your attorney or someone from his office should be there. I hope you see you there. I’m so sorry you are having a hard time. So many of us can relate to your illness. If you have any questions or want to talk be email.

Kymeshed@gmail.com

44. Jane Akre says:

From the Court:

The June 2nd status conference at 9:30 a.m. will be held in Judge Goodwin’s courtroom and is open to the public. Generally, only lawyers hired by the plaintiffs, including the plaintiffs’ leadership, and lawyers representing the defendants are permitted to speak during the status conference. The meetings after that with leaders of the individual MDLs are not open to the public and are held in chambers.

45. Mesh Nightmare says:

Please donate to MAM 6/2 rally fundraiser. http://www.gofundme.com/rm62j64

46. Toni says:

I am scheduled for surgery on the 23rd of this month with Dr Veronikis and then to my brothers in Ky He is closer to St Loius than I live .But I so want to be at the june 2nd rally. Not sure I will be physically able but my heart says crawl there, So tired of surgery after surgery with no hope of getting better. Hope they make some resolution of what if anything they may do,

• Tammy (KY) says:

Toni,

I live in Ky. I’m close to Lexington Ky. There is a few of us mesh survivors going to WV. Would love for you to join us. Praying for your surgery. Be blessed

• Toni says:

So I am here now and made it through the surgery in quite a bit of pain but hopeful that this will end the constant pain I have endured for so long. The Doc said he got 85% which considering I had prolift front and back and TVT as well. Guess time will tell if this will relieve the majority of the pain I have been living with. Tammy I am hoping to be in good enough shape to make the trip by the second. My catheter and packing come out next sunday so it is really to soon to tell. Tammy I really don’t want to post my phone number on here or personal email. Is there some way we could meet somewere later in the week to get together. I have not meet anyone else who has been through this nightmare and it would be nice to meet some of my sisters who really do know and understand. My family and friends say they know but till you go through it I really don’t think many do know.

47. Mesh Nightmare says:

PRETRIAL ORDER # 179

(Order Rescheduling Time of Status Conference on June 2, 2015)

It is ORDERED that the Status Conference previously scheduled for Tuesday, June 2, 2015, at 9:30 a.m. is rescheduled to Tuesday, June 2, 2015, at 1:00 p.m. At that time, I will conduct a status conference in all MDLs except In re Neomedic, 2:14-md-2511, in Room 7800 of the Robert C. Byrd United States Courthouse. It is further ORDERED that (1) defendant client representative(s) with full authority to make all decisions related to MDL 2327; (2) in house counsel for defendant(s) with full authority to make all decisions related to MDL 2327; (3) settlement counsel (if any) for defendant(s); and (4) lead counsel for plaintiffs and defendant(s) attend the status conference.

48. annonynous says:

Will this include All the plaintiffs that ethical is involved in?

49. Tammy (KY) says:

Toni,

Please email me

Tamila.Jackson65@gmail.com

Praying for your recovery…..be blessed

50. gwendolyn says:

Why does the Pretrial Order for the Status Conference only mention MDL 2327? There are at least 3 other MDL’s and he only mentions one? Anyway, on a hopeful note, but not getting my hopes up…..I’m hoping for a positive outcome to the status meetings, and just hearing that things are moving along would be a great present for my birthday on June 6th. I’m not holding my breath, of course, but I have to keep hoping for a decent resolution, at least to see that the defendants will agree to do move forward. I’m not sure in my own mind what the best resolution is: work on settlements that may or may not be worth waiting for? Or sending cases back to our own states and drag them out for a few years. Anyway, I hope those of you that can be there in West Virginia get noticed. I’m too broke and not able to physically travel there and I’m way out in western Nebraska. But I’ll be there in my heart and will be waiting to hear what the outcome is. If anything is decided at all. The last status conference didn’t make anything happen.

51. anonymous says:

I know some work for us and I know some say that we should all get at least seven figures but how many cave in before the end? None of us will ever get what we deserve. But we should be allowed to get the medical covered, the permanent disability paid, lost wages paid, do you have a permanent injury that will never heal –you should be paid for it. I sit and cry over what I think I will get paid because it will never replace the life I lost. I wish I could just go home to Jesus. My life is over I just forgot to stop breathing

52. Angry says:

Good Evening Hal and want to Thank You for all of your time you have taken to try to help us understand this mess. I for one am thankful for my lawyers. I know damn right well that with out one there is no chance. Also I have no problem with what his fees are, he has earned it. But after reading a comment you posted I thought of something. Correct life is not always fair, we as adults know that. You commented that car accidents happen and the outcome is not always what one hopes or thinks it should be. A Pit Bull bites someone the, and good chance the poor person that was in the car accident or the person that was bit by the Pit Bull, good chance they will end up with a better settlement. With that said a car accident and a dog bite are ACCIDENTS, mesh complications and how this junk made it into each one of us was NO ACCIDENT. So I don’t think everyday accidents and mishaps can even come close to what is going on with this mesh nightmare.

• Hal Lewis says:

You have a BETTER chance of making a financial recovery from an “accident” than you do from an “intentional act” because insurance does NOT cover intentional acts.

If a drunk runs you over by mistake, you get his insurance money. If a drunk runs you over on purpose, you get whatever he has to his name. Usually not much.

So while in our hearts we may feel like all of this was intentional…. you can bet that we will not be making those allegations in court.

53. Wilma Ingram says:

I still can not get No DR’S in the of Oregon to help me !! Even my insurance company will not help me find a DR 🙁

• anonymous says:

honey that’s because you have to realize doctors don’t know how to take mesh out that well only very few want to go into a woman’s pelvic area and work because of all the nerves and all the blood vessels excetera quote from my doctor besides they know what’s going on was not legal wrong criminal whatever word you want to put on it and they don’t want to be the next ones getting a lawsuit slapped against them there are a few doctors in a really good depending on what your problem is is it nerve damage is a mesh still in is it a hundred and one other things that mesh causes that there’s no cure for I will pray for you but you might as well realize this is the REST OF YOU LIFE pain sicknesses and the damage that mesH cause these people should be taken to court and tried and convicted and sent to prison for the rest of their life because money meant more than people. excuse me i mean no disrespect but judge Goodwin what the hell are youdoing! We all have medical disabilities tormented lives changing every aspect of our lives we will be thrown into poverty and live in poverty the rest of our lives more than likely because of these medical companies and that’s a crime its b******* if you were a judge of any integrity you would make them realize that these people that have had 4 5 6 7 surgeries deserve millions and you should be able to order that but you won’t you’ll keep babying them just like little children did you do this did you do that what a crock of s*** our judicial system is so messed up it’s depressing it’s he who has the most money wins every time

54. Debbie says:

So……. any news when we will all be getting that big settlement check?? Or was this just another delay tactic and a reunion of judge and lawyers? i bet they had a good ole time at the hotel bar last night.. i bet they arent in any PAIN.. oh, maybe a hangover headache but that is something an aspirin can cure. i would love to implant a mesh bladder sling in a few of those men.. and see how they bear the pain… they couldnt.. they would hang themselves.

55. Anonymous in America says:

It’s all a bunch of bull. The people who are hurt will see nothing from this. Judge Goodwin could not care less about anyone of the victims of this. He is doing only what he was told and now he’s trying to speed things along, throwing out cases and calling for settlements. Mesh is damaging, and it’s not necessarily just the mesh manufacturers at fault here. The FDA is responsible for making sure that these companies follow guidelines put in place to protect people. Where were they? The statute of limitations ran out on my wife before they even acknowledged there was a problem with mesh. “We should have known it was the mesh” can anyone tell me exactly how we should have known that a medical device approved by the FDA was faulty? For years we blamed our Dr. I believed that he messed up, because there is no way the FDA would allow unsafe products to be put in humans. I apologize for complaining, but needed to let go of some of this anger.

Hello– In many cases the statute of limitations is overlooked in these MDLs because the cases are all over place and mesh injuries may show up years after injury. I don’t know if you visited only one law firm. Another might have a different opinion.

• Dana says:

I agree , get in touch with another attorney. One told me it was to late, that didn’t detour me, I contacted another and my case was accepted some of us had our surgery before they realized it is a killer.

56. Dana says:

It’s July, I have thought since last September I would be having surgery anytime now, as I have been suffering for years. . I have CR Bard’s kit The Pelvicol Acellular Collgen Matrix I have been sick since 2006, or symptoms of pain really began then. I had shorting of the vaginal ” Vault” shortly after surgery. I moved from the state from where I had the surgery, I was complaining to Dr.’s before there was ever an ad on the TV about Transvaginal Bladder Slings, Every doctor basically wrote me off, prescribed pain pills, muscle relaxants, I had some vaginal surgery in TX for something unrelated, that doctor talked to me about going to Ca for reconstruction, but I did not get the opportunity, I had to get back to my home in FL, the TX doctor wanted the Fl doctor who followed up with me to call him, so he could tell that doctor “WHAT HE SAW IN THERE”

Will no FL doctor to date has picked up their phone yet, and I imagine after 4 years, they have had their heads and eyes at so many vaginas they would not remember what they saw, and what he saw was not documented. I thought I had found my answer in the doctor I researched out in 2014, it didn’t happen, she wanted me off the pain meds, go through , PT, and sometype of anesthesia injections. Will medicare would not clear the road for the PT, saying there was 2 outstanding claims, I did all I could do on my end to get them settled, sent that information to the doctor, so she would know what was going on. I had an old car at this time and it was hard to ake that 180 mile round trip, the next time I arrived at the Dr office, a male doctor was there saying he was there to learn more about womens pelvic pain from my doctor. Then he became very insulting towards me, and I walked out. Finally I have a new car, so I went back to the specialist who then does little but sets me up an appointment with the urogynologist in her office, as that is who would do my surgery if I have surgery. I quit all the pain meds, except a low dose of hydrocodone 7.5. and try not to take it and will take extra strength Tylenol, muscle relaxer, an antisizure med. heating pad. I don’t have a life. I do now have Lupus, it started as Mixed Connective Tissue Disease, advanced to Connective tissue Disease, now to Lupus, I am also in Kidney failure. Try getting a doctor to pay attention. When I saw the urogynolgist last week the first thing I was meet with is ; THE DR Didn’t put mesh in you, he used PIG, well I said why do I have Lupus, why are my kidneys failing, why am I sick, isn’t anyone going to help me, or are we just going to wait until I die do an autopsy so someone can learn. Will I came home and researched it. The two collagens, the pigs and humans do not match. Why am I going to have to educate my doctors. Sex what is that, it has been so long I have forgotten, and the one doctor told me I don’t have a vagina anymore I am so frustrated. . What is wrong with the doctors, why are they sticking their heads in the sand. No vagina, , a pediatric speculm , about 2 inches of a vaginal opening. And where is my meatus ( you know rock my boat ). I spend my days at home can’t be in the sunlight 10amm-4pm, can’t be in bright lights in the stores because of the meds I am on for the systemic lupus. What kind of life do I have. And I was a nurse once upon a time. The doctor really didn’t explain, and I failed to ask. The collegen hardens and breaks apart in my body destroying organs and causing pain, cutting me, , the lupus has my good and bad cells at war. Who’s going to win. It’s a 50-50 deal. Is anyone having fun yet. I am not.