Imaging Device: Translabial Ultrasound "Sees" Mesh

Dr. Shlomo Raz, UCLA Urology

Dr. Shlomo Raz, UCLA Urology

“I have removed more than 900 mesh for complications in the last 5-6 years. Translabial ultrasound is an important adjuvant to the diagnosis and treatment of this patients.”

Those are the words of the leading mesh removal surgeon in the world, Dr. Shlomo Raz, MD in an exchange with Mesh News Desk.

The Professor of Urology at the David Geffen School of Medicine at the University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) attends to the most difficult mesh removal complications and sees patients from around the globe who are having complications with their transvaginal mesh implants.

The difficulty of mesh removal is complicated by the fact that mesh used to treat prolapse and incontinence is implanted in a woman’s pelvic region and is intended to be a permanent implant. Removal is difficult. In some cases, a removal surgeon will take just a portion of the implant and leave the rest.

The long-term result can be further mesh degradation and an acceleration of the release of mesh debris in the body.

Mesh News Desk wanted to know about the availability of the only imaging device that appears to “see” polypropylene mesh- the translabial ultrasound. An MRI will not see plastic mesh, neither will a CAT scan.

Dr. Raz and grateful patient at UCLA

Dr. Raz and grateful patient at UCLA

“The machine is readily available in any radiology center. There is no specific brand or equipment required. The same ultrasound that performs pelvic ultrasound with the ability to perform 3d reconstruction will do it.”~ Dr. S. Raz

Translabial ultrasound

Translabial ultrasound

Dr. Raz attached a copy of a case of 3 dimensional reconstruction of a mesh that had penetrated the urethra and the bladder.

“We have design a protocol that we follow with great success.  We do different views of the pelvis, bladder, rectum and urethra including sagital, coronal and axial cuts.

“We do tri-dimensional reconstruction of the mesh location. Many patients had partial mesh removal. The ultrasound will show how much mesh is left over.

The mesh can penetrate the bladder or the rectum or the urethra and the ultrasound will detect it. Many patients were told that the mesh was removed but actually was not.”

The ultrasound machine used in Gynecology-Perinatology can be used, according to Dr. Raz.

Learn More:

UCLA Department of Urology, Los Angeles

1. Karen says:

This is wonderful. If other doctors would come to this reality we could at least feel a little better about of lives. I hope here in Texas their’s one doctor that will help me with this. If not I’m going to California .

• R Marie Mansfield says:

Lets all go to CA, this doc knows what he is talking about!

• Cara says:

I wanted to make an appointment with Dr. Raz but he doesn’t take my insurance.I found two doctors who do and will be calling them tomorrow to get this poison out of me.I will keep you all updated.

• Pamela Gunther says:

My only words… Dr. Raz even tho’ you it means going to California!

2. R Marie Mansfield says:

Anybody know if there is a doc in Nebraska that does this?

3. Dean says:

My wife and myself went to see Dr Raz so my wife could have the mesh removed after having a partial removal done in Canada.I have never ever come across such an compassionate Dr in my life he does really care he is an excellent Dr even got my wife a cup of tea after surgery and gave a hug not just a hug a sincere hug and a peck on the cheek even though my wife still goes through a huge amount of pain daily the mesh is out it’s only been a month and a half since the surgery THANK YOU Dr Raz you are the ROCK STAR of Drs in your profession.

• krystyna says:

Hi Dean

Just curious about the cost of surgery.I am Canadian suffering similar problems . Thanks Krystyyna

• Debbie says:

Hi krystina depending on what province you live in its different everywhere . In manitoba it is covered bye manitoba health if you meet the medical requirements for the surgery to be done . You have to request a gynaecologist to send a referral to manitoba health so they will pay for it, than they do there part in getting all your medical info to see if you qualify .they send you a letter to let you know with me they phoned me first and then sent the confirmation letter as far as I know the cost is thirty thousand dollars . I do stress to you to nottttttttt have a partial removal you need it all out at once or your just asking for more complications

• Ingrid Hardacre says:

This is to say a very hearty THANK YOU, Jane Akre, for this information. For too long patients, in particular in England, have been mislead, by doctors – saying there is not test to see the tape. Instead very expensive procedure have been put into place like CT scans and MRI’s which show nothing of the tape. A compassionate female doctor in A& E in Germany, attended my pain issue. The first thing she did was this transvaginal Ultrasound, which showed the tape clearly enough and confirmed my pain issues. This was 6 years ago and I have now been mesh free ( as far as we can be sure) for coming up 5 years. I am grateful that I found another compassionate female surgeon (Oxford, England) with the right skills needed to remove this wretched plastic inside me. I now manage to the best of my abilities and for the most part I am painfree after removal. Thank for this very informative support group. MESHNEWSDESK. Ingrid Hardacre

Ingrid- I’m so glad to hear you are painfree after removal. After visiting the medical society meeting, docs are not aware that is possible so that is very good to hear. Could you please share the name of the docs who helped you. I’m sure others would appreciate it.

4. Kris says:

I just found out that I have a mesh implant that was used for incontinence after my Hysterectomy in 2005. I was actually fired from a Gynecologist in 2007 because they didn’t see anything on any of the tests to show why I continued to suffer severe abdominal attacks and painful intercourse. One attack was so bad that I fainted from the pain. My husband and I became frustrated, and when we tried to push further for more tests, they fired me. Since then, I found out that I have a connective tissue disorder, which, I don’t know how this affects me with the mesh. I had gone back and forth to Dr.s for years for these problems and had many scans, yet nothing was found. If they don’t see the mesh, how do they know if it eroded? When I recently told my family Dr. that I had some complications from my bladder lift and needed to be re-catherized for 2 weeks due to voiding issues, he asked me if I had a mesh. I said, “No.” because I assumed it would show up on the scans. He suggested I get my medical report which showed, yes indeed I had TVT, tension free mesh tape put in me.

I also found out that the Dr. who supervised the surgery, since he had an intern actually perform the surgery, was charged with raping several of his patients at the time. He was exchanging medications to women for sex. He is on probation, and no longer is allowed to practice medicine since he pled guilty. I am being told that I should have physical therapy or sex therapy to help with the problem. My suggestion was to go to a urologist to at least rule out that the mesh is not the issue here. My husband wants to call my doctor back to push for further investigation, but I’m afraid of being fired again. Any suggestions?

Kris- I’m not a doc but physical therapy if you are suffering from mesh injuries sounds like a very bad idea.. Sounds like you need a competent doctor for a consult. Where do you live? Do you have your medical records?

5. Maria Garcia says:

In Houston Dr. Peter M. Lotze is Doctor just like Dr. Raz with a heart as big as Texas. Dr. Lotze specializes in Urogynecology & Pelvic Reconstructive Surgery, Pelvic Health, Urinary Continence and routine Gynecology. He can be reached at the Women’s Pelvic Health & Continence Center 7900 Fannin, Suite 4000 Houston Texas 77054. Dr. Lotze phone number is 713-512-7814 http://www.texaspelvichealth.com. The Hospital he is affiliated with is The Woman’s Hospital of Texas. He is a very strong Christian man with huge compassion for women suffering from mesh complications. There are many specialists that work with Dr. Lotze and they can test for nerve damage and tell you what your current condition is with specialized testing. I cannot say enough about Dr. Lotze and how great a surgeon and man he truly is. This man is a literal blessing from God.

Maria- have you been a patient of Dr.Lotze? This sounds like an advertisement. Do you work for him?

• Bess says:

Jane:
        I am a patient of Dr. Lotze here in Houston. He removed the arm of my mesh that is permanently implanted recently that is giving me trouble. I know this doctor very well. If someone wants feedback how the approach I am willing to help and be there with them. Just let me know.h

• Charlotte G says:

I was a patient of Dr. Lotze. He removed my mesh. Sent me home with a fever after surgery and an infestion. I’mean still in pain. My appointment with Dr. Raz is not until 2/1/2017 and I need to see a Doctor now. After I complain so much about the pain he sent me to other Doctors. Doesn’t handle complications well.

• Daylene says:

Dr. Raz is AWESOME as is his team.
            Just had surgery last Thursday, hemorrhage after sent me back in for second surgery. Kept me 5 days due to fever. Came and did rounds as early as 4:30 a.m. and 9:30 pm. Genuine, gentle, caring.

6. Cynthia james says:

I am so frustrated with all of the drs that I’ve seen so far. No one once to touch my mesh that I had Implanted in 2009. I’ve been in horrible pain and discomfort for years, many uti,s and I can’t find a doctor who gives a damn. I would give everything I own to see dr. Raz. I have an HMO which won’t cover me. I have a lawsuit pending against the mesh manufacturer, I wish dr Raz would take a lein against any settlement. I need help!!!

Where do you live…. there may be other doctors more convenient to you.

• Cynthia James says:

I live in California…… I am so desperate I am changing my health plan to PPO just so I can drive an hour away to see Dr. Raz.

I appealed to my insurance company and they want to send me to City of Hope…… Forget it!!!!

7. Vickie says:

I need a dr in or close to nc

• Carol Howard says:

Vickie, I live 12 hours from UCLA. Yesterday I flew to UCLA to see Dr. Raz. He did surgery on me in 2008 and 2009 but I lost my insurance and was unable to follow up. He is very compassionate about helping those of us that travel for care. My next surgery is scheduled for March 2015. I will fly into LAX three days before the surgery for further testing. The motel is walking distance. Surgery on Thursday morning and on the plane home on Friday. He has his patients remove their own catheter at home.

• Connie says:

Hi Carol, just read where you posted you were having surgery with Dr. Raz in March. Pray that it was a success. I too am seeking help and have an appointment in June for a consult with Dr. Raz. How well did you do on the flight home? Any advice for someone terrified of flying not to mention right after surgery?

• Dee says:

Hi Connie,

I have had my recent surgeries performed by Dr. Raz. He is wonderful. We fly from Texas to California to see him. I have some great pointers for flying after surgery, and feel that have some information that will be very helpful.

Please feel free to email me.

I just found this site so I am learning how to communicate with others. Feel free to tell me if there is a specific way to communicate this information.

8. Sara says:

I had a LAVH in Oct 2013 and a sling put in June of 2011. I did not have any problems with the sling or the hysterectomy until a few months after. I started getting burning off and on and sometimes throbbing and achy burning pain and bacterial infections, yeast and a few UTI’s since the surgery. I have seen so many doctors and they tell me it is not the sling and treat for the infections, but they keep coming back and my life is no good at all. I use ice and heat to manage along with pain medications. They keep telling me it s IC and can not diagnose nerve problems. I am currently going to PT once a week for a few months now and it seems like it is not helping. I have lost 50 pounds and am so disgusted as these doctors. I live in Texas, the Austin Area. Is there any good doctors here that can rule out the sling and find out the problem so I can get on the road to recovery? Please help? Can slings cause yeast and constant infections? I also burn most of the time and I am so tired of vagina problems.

Hi Sara… as far as acknowledgement of the problem, not aware of anyone in Austin but there are a couple of docs in Dallas…janeakre@meshnewsdesk.com

• Sara says:

Jane,

Do you know the names of these doctors? Also are there any in Houston? Do you know the recovery time after a sling is removed? I did come across a doctor here in Austin that does take them out. His name is Dr. George L. Shashoua here in Austin.

• Dee says:

Hi,

I was treated by Dr. Philipe Zimmern at UTSW in Dallas. He is an excellent physician and I highly recommend him. My case was extremely difficult so we made the decision to consult with Dr. Raz in California. Dr. Zimmern was on board with this decision and he and Dr. Raz work well together regarding my case when the need arises. Dr. Raz is my surgeon and Dr. Zimmern is my local physician..

Dr. Zimmern referred me for nerve testing at UTSW and with their expertise, and the help of a new MRI technique, they were able to diagnose my nerve damage and provide treatment.

I hope this helps.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.

9. Debbie says:

Does anyone know of doctors like Dr. Raz in Eastern USA? I live in PA.

Does Dr. Raz do everything in one trip (first evaluation, tests, operation) or would multiple trips be required?

Let me know where you are. A doc directory is underway.

Debbie- Docs in the eastern US include Dr. Ali Azadi at University of Louisville, Dr. D. Veronikis in St. Louis, Miklos and Moore in Atlanta, Dr. Liu in NYC, Dr. Jerry Blavais in NYC among those I know…. others?

• Hi Jane…thanks for all of your efforts to keep us updated on these issues. I have had 5 surgeries related to mesh implantation. The surgeons that removed All of my mesh were Dr. Furr in Chattanooga and Dr. Liu from from N.Y. I had been told by the other surgeons that it would be impossible to remove all of the mesh so they just took out bits and pieces. Dr. Furr is a wonderful surgeon, never rushes you through your appt.and listens to any and all of your concerns. He was trained by Dr. Liu. Dr. Liu will come to Chattanooga and work with Dr. Furr when a case is very complicated .

• Deb says:

Hi, this is the first time here. I am going thru all of these things and more. My shallow breathing now is really scaring me and much more. I live in Boise ID, is there and dr here to help me

• Barbara says:

I startedha ing problems with burning stmptoms which have esculated when i herniated mt L5 S1 disk. I have saddle burning and burning in my legs and feet. i had an urethal sling and hesteretomu jan 2014. Can u give me any advice. My uro gynecoloist referred me to a urologist. Barbara

• Barbara says:

I had hysterectomy and urethral sling surgery in Jan. 2014, and disk surgery Nov. 2017. I have had saddle burning and sciatic pain for 2 years. Since my disk surgery my saddle burning, legs and feet have gotten worse, along with other symptoms. Did you have your sling removed?

10. Linda says:

I live in BC Canada and am suffering from TVT complications for years now. Recurrent infections and chronic pain. Everything I have been reading tells me that no Doctors in Canada are doing complete mesh removal. Are there only Doctors in the US who are able?

It appears to be that way, though we are always looking for good recommendations from Canada. I think this trial tells us not to delay and go to an expert asap if you are suffering a complications. They do not seem to get better with time. I”m sorry. ~ ja

• Linda says:

Thank you Jane for your prompt reply. Sad but true, I did seek medical help again and again many times being told the tape was not causing the pain or infections. Now as years passed and more information came to light I now have specialists that know the TVT tape is the problem. My urologist has performed mesh removal in the US but will not do this in Canada. I am very proud of my country but shocked and saddened we are so far behind in this field.

11. Sharon says:

I had mesh removed twice now and the doctor swears he “GOT IT ALL”, well, he only got two patches the each the size of a postage stamp. I need to find a doctor like Dr. Raz in the Maryland area to get all of it out for sure. I am having problems and only getting worse. Does anyone have any doctors names like Dr. Raz in my area? I cannot afford to go to California, my insurance will not pay for it and I cannot afford it. Any infor would be appreciated.

Sharon, Please see this letter to insurance companies.
      While they led you to a mesh procedure, they now don’t want to help you get the expert care you need! Unacceptable. They need to get a clue. Dr. Raz is very good…. closer to the east coast are Miklos and moore, Dr. Veronikis, and Dr. Ali Azadi in Louisville. Pleasedo not go to someone who will do a partial removal and leave you possibly in worse condition and facing more surgery. The fewest surgeries is the best option and choosing an expert is the best option. Let me know if we can help further janeakre@meshnewsdesk.com

• Sharon says:

Jane, thank you so much! I will write the letter to my insurance company and pray they will listen. It has been so frustrating. The back pain is horrible and unbearable but I am told I cannot “prove” it is from the mesh, even though, I know it is. I also have an aneuysm and kidney stones, and again cant prove its mesh. My life has gone downhill since I got mesh. My family doesnt really understand and that hurts almost as bad. Sorry for ranting. Thanks for your help.

• Maureen says:

Dr Furr in Chattanooga can remove ALL of your mesh. He did mine and prior to seeing him I had small pieces removed. Big mistake. He is awesome and did a great job. Mine was super complex

• Dee says:

Hi Sharon,

I don’t know if it is available in your area, but there is an agency that I have found that assist with airfare if you qualify. It is a group of corporations that “loan” their plane and pilots that donate their time to fly people to obtain medically necessary treatments and surgeries. In addition, there is a hotel in California that will offer deep discounted rates if you qualify. They are within walking distance of UCLA and Dr. Raz’s office.

Angel Flight of South Central 972-458-0700. They may be able to advise you of one in your area.

UCLA Tiverton House – California 310-794-0280

Warmest Regards,

Dee

12. Sharon says:

Hello everyone, I have a question. I have read somewhere and about cases being classified? Are they classified or typed by symptoms, surgeries, type of surgeries, or what?? I am so confused, shouldn’t all be the same. I had TVT0 . Can anyone shed any light on this for me. Thanks, Sharon

13. Cindi says:

I live in Wisconsin does anyone know of a doctor here for removal? I can’t afford to go to California. Thanks

14. debbie says:

Any Doctors in Connecticut that does complete removals. Thank you

15. Mik says:

Hey, does anyone know if Dr Raz can remove the anchors, I am having so many problems in my right leg, I had some of the mesh removed, but the Uro dr here said it was too close to my vein and main nerve in my ln my groin, now I am having so much trouble and pain in my leg, its now affecting my nerve, Help

16. deanna says:

Help…sciatica,low back pain, allergic to it. I have multiple sclerosis and just found out I have arthritis in my hips and sacral spine. A short time after mesh implant I couldn’t walk. Doctors say NO…not the mesh. Happened again…nope not the mesh. The pain is in my hips and sacral spine down my legs. Severe boating. Nobody listens to me. I’m allergic to everything. Now my thyroid is every were. Stomach bloating, whole body swelling. I took pictures and a doctor said I’m in anaphlaxis. I’m on 4 anti histamine a day. I need you Dr Raz.

Did you have these conditions before your mesh implant? Why can’t doctors simply say they don’t know?

17. I live in the Cleveland area and I was wondering if there are any Doctors in my area that see women for this problem. I am very tired of the how incredibly difficult it is to find a doctor that is familiar with the problems the mesh implants cause.

Docs we know of include Dr. Ali Azadi in Louisville KY, Dr. Veronikis in St. Louis, miklos and moore in Atlanta… There are so few to choose from. I wish there were as many competent docs as there were doc who put it in who have no idea how to deal with complications!

18. I was told I need my mesh out. Dr. Raz Assistant. Then once she looked at the defogram she realized that my colon has a separate severe problem. She tried to get a colon Rectal Dr. TO help me. They refused based on the Radiologist wouldn’t comment on the findings. Then she changed her position to saying I don’t need it removed. She is a waste. All over the board. I would advise anyone against going to her personally. I wouldn’t like to know how to get thru what she did . Now its like I cant even go there. I think I need another name of someone there. Please let me know. Thank you Sincerely, Tamera Pelren

19. Mary says:

Does anyone know if Dr Raz at UCLA takes Humana health insurance?

20. Mary says:

Also how long does it take to get a consult with Dr Raz? Months?

21. Nedra Edwards says:

I have been injured by mesh, but they say they never implanted it in my body, I dont know what kind I have because my medical records have been changed amd I am stuck with this stuff disentigrated all over my abdomen, I did my owm ultrasound at home https://youtu.be/m_XU3LV7ef4 But no one is taking me seriously and running away from the problem, I cant even find the doctor that did the surgery. I want my life back. I am now disabled from the mesh as my abdomen is so swollen and pain ful. Please follow me on Twitter, as I have started a campaign for my health

22. Dottie says:

Do you have to go to dr. Raz to find out if the mesh used is the problem,or is there another way to see it before going to California?? I sW something about ultrasound??

23. jo says:

Hi,

I need to get this tvt-o out of me. I will have to travel from Australia as we have no urogyno or gyno who are able to fully remove of mesh or it’s anchors. In fact they don’t believe mesh is causing any problems. It’s very expensive as we (Australian women) have to pay out of our own money (can’t use our private health insurance if we had any) plus we have a different legal system to America so that’s a whole different story. Please let me know how I can contact Dr Raz or any of the other specialist who can preform a full removal. I would need to contact via email.. Thanks.

24. Donna F says:

Is there a doctor near Amarillo, Texas that can remove TVT mesh? Or anywhere close that I could get translabial ultrasound? I’m in severe pain. Thanks

25. Marina says:

Is there an ultrasound machine that will see mesh in the obturator foramen and area?