Huskey v Ethicon Case Opens Monday

The product liability case that could turn the tide for healthcare giant Johnson & Johnson over its controversial transvaginal mesh implants begins Monday, August 25.  Jo Huskey, 54, was implanted with a TVT-O, a vaginal sling made of polypropylene (PP) mesh, on February 23, 2011 to treat stress urinary incontinence (SUI).

She experienced mesh erosion and dyspareunia (painful sex) and as many women do, she had a removal surgery in November, 2011. Only part of the medical device could be removed so her stress urinary incontinence returned as well as constant pelvic and vaginal pain.

In February of last year, J&J lost a similar case in its home turf of New Jersey.

In the Linda Gross case, the jury found for plaintiff Gross and awarded her $11.1 million with $7.76 of that award in punitive damages.  Since then the Linda Batiste case in Dallas last April yielded a $1.1 million jury award.

The only time J&J has had a pelvic mesh case go in its favor was in February of this year when Judge Joseph Goodwin in this same court, granted a directed verdict for the defendant J&J in the Carolyn Lewis case. Mesh News Desk coverage is here.

Judge Goodwin will also oversee the Huskey case and is overseeing more than 66,000 similar defective product cases concerning transvaginal mesh made by seven manufacturers that are consolidated in federal multidistrict litigation in West Virginia. J&J has the most cases at 22,000  before Judge Goodwin and faces approximately 35,000 cases nationwide.

Dr. Christina Pramudji, MD

Dr. Christina Pramudji, MD

Witnesses for the Defense

The defense will be calling Dr. Christina Pramudji MD from Houston, Harry Johnson from Baltimore and Daniel Sexton on the infectious process.

There will be statements made from medical organizations about the safety of the sling. The American Urogynecologic Society (AUGS) believe the transvaginal tape slings used to treat incontinence are the “Gold Standard” and should remain on the market. See background story here.

The deposition of Dr. Pramudji MD was filed July 14, 2014.

See: Huskey Doc #280-10 Dr. Christina Pramudji MD doc for the defense Expert Report.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) concluded a public comment period last month for a proposal to reclassify Pelvic Organ Prolapse (POP) transvaginal mesh to a more stringent class III that will require clinical trials before it is marketed. No mesh currently on the market whether for POP or stress urinary incontinence (SUI) has had that degree of oversight by the FDA to assure safety and efficacy.

Witnesses for the Plaintiff

Bruce Rosenzweig MD

Bruce Rosenzweig MD

Huskey and her team will be calling Dr. Bruce Rosenzweig, Assistant Professor of Ob/Gyn at Rush University in Chicago. He’s done fellowships in pelvic surgery and urogynecology and urodynamics and has performed over one thousand pelvic floor surgical procedures including native tissue repairs, biological grafts and synthetic mesh repairs, as well as synthetic implants TVT, TVT-O and Prolift.

He concludes that Prolene polypropylene mesh used in TVT “causes a multitude of injuries, including the possibility of multiple erosions that can occur throughout one’s lifetime, chronic and debilitating pelvic pain, recurrence, worsening incontinence, dyspareunia that can be chronic, wound infection, rejection of the mesh, sexual dysfunction, urinary and defecatory dysfunction, vaginal scarring, wound healing problems, injury to ureters, bladder and urethra, pelvic abscess formation, risk of infection and/or the need for additional surgeries, among others.”

He concludes it it not suitable as a permanent implant to treat SUI.

Other Plaintiff Witnesses include:

Jerry Blaivas, MD  a surgeon from NYC who will not use transvaginal mesh. See Mesh News Desk story here:

Erin Carey, M.D.- U of Kansas, a pelvic pain specialist from Kansas City. See more here.

and Scott Guelcher Ph.D.- Assistant Professor of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering, with a research focus on polymer science and engineering, biomaterials.

More here: http://engineering.vanderbilt.edu/bio/scott-guelcher

Settlements so Far

While American Medical Systems and C.R. Bard have announced settlements are underway in thousands of their pelvic mesh cases, J&J quietly settled three cases in Missouri but has remained steadfast in its commitment to try these cases in court.  #

1. Jill says:

Is this one of the cases selected by Ethicon?

• Kitty says:

I pray that Ms Huskey’s Attorneys’ will have a very strong response to Parmudji’s report. I will pray for you Ms Huskey that you -can withstand this horrific report of hers.—LIES LIES LIES G-d is good and G-d is great

• Kitty says:

Jill–I read in tyhe disposition that Dr Pramudji cant wait to examine Jo Huskey. I hope that she does not allow this woman to touch her.

2. Maria Garcia says:

Dr. Christina Pramudji MD WAS a doctor who was objective and only cared for the well being of her patients. I’m am writing was because it was the truth until a series of events took place and now she has joined the defense with her deposition in favor of Ethicon / Johnson and Johnson. Dr. Melvyn A. Anhalt, M.D was the Defense hired expert which practices at the same place Dr. Christina Pramudji practiced. Dr. Pramudji has done a great deal of work separating herself from Memorial Urology Associates-Memorial City Houston Texas. She first moved out of the main office and down the hall on the same floor. She stopped seeing male patients and now has moved again to Houston Female Urology. While at Memorial Urology Associates she spoke the facts about vaginal mesh shrinking, hardening and erosion openly and boldly but as she distanced herself from her former associate, she flip flopped on the entire subject of Ethicon Mesh and even got rather stern in her responses. Dr. Anhalt was exposed for getting paid by Ethicon / Johnson and Johnson at the Linda Batiste trial and he lied on the stand about only one out of 600 mesh installs failed and was caught by the plaintiff attorney. Dr. Pramudji is doing the same thing in her deposition and if the Plaintiff attorneys look at the medical records of women that were installed by Dr. Anhalt and repaired by Pramudji, it tells the whole story and exposes Dr. Pramudji for getting paid by Ethicon / Johnson and Johnson while hiding the truth like Dr. Anhalt tried to do. Dr. Pramudji should be ashamed of herself for seeing and admitting first hand the damage that Ethicon / Johnson and Johnson has done to women everywhere. She has turned her back on those same women she performed surgeries on all in the name of MONEY? Jo Huskey, get your lawyers to lift the veil and see the dark truth just waiting to be told…

• Kitty says:

As I was sprinkling the medicated J & J baby powder with aloe on myself recently— a wave of anxiety came over me and I realized what a hypocrite I am. How would I want anything to do with anything or anybody that would cause the cramping and spasms that I endure daily–year after year to the point that I can barely walk at times.

• Kitty says:

Dr Pradmudji is a Urologist. Is it in the scope of her practice and expertise to testify as Urogynocologist?

OBJECTION!!

• Deborah Craig says:

Dr. Pramudji operated on me twice and implaned the mesh with the help of Dr. Anhalt who I never even met. I had the surgeries in 2010. First of all, when I went to Pramudji, I wasn’t having any bladder problems at all. I wen to my gynecologist because I felt this bulge in my vagina in the shower. Out of curiosity, I wanted to know what it was. I thought it was a prolapsed uterus, but my doctor said it was my bladder. I had never heard of a bladder being in your vagina until this happened. I was referred to Dr. Pramudji. She told me that she could fix this and I would only need a day for surgery and I could go home the next day. She never informed me about any risk and at that time in 2010, these warnings had already surfaced big time but I wasn’t told. If Dr. Pramudji had mentioned this to me, I wouldn’t have ever had surgery because I wasn’t having any problems with my bladder. After the first surgery, I went back for follow-up and she informed me that she needed to go back in and do more surgery but this time she would have an assistant who I found out was Dr. Anhalt. She told me after the first surgery that I would need a catheter and I was shocked and I really didn’t know what it meant until her nurse demonstrated how I should use it. I asked her how long would this go on and she said sometimes you have to do it permanently. I knew then I was in trouble. My bladder has not been the same since the two surgeries. I am up all night going to the bathroom and another Doctor in Houston who knows Pramudji had the nerve to tell me that going to the bathroom 10 times a night was normal and he had all kinds of test performed on me and never game me a definitive answer as to why I have this constant pain in my left side. I don’t know how much longer I am going to make it because I cannot sleep through the night because I constantly have to go the bathroom to urinate. My bladder is very weak and this pain in my side did not happen until after I had these surgeries. My regular doctor told me to go back to Pramudji, but I do not trust her because she was not forthcoming about the warnings in the first place. I am in the process of trying to have the mesh removed and we are trying to get the records from Pramudji’s office. As far as sex is concerned, I can’t comment on that because I have not had intercourse since 2005. but I’m sure that the prolapse is back because I feel it and I can’t believe what people will do for money. I am truly disappointed in Dr. Pramudji, I thought she was ok, but I see she’s not. I am just praying that I can have this removed and the damage with not go any further than it has.

• Kitty says:

Pramudji and others like her have caused so much damage to women. Why o why was Jo Huskey’s explant not saved?

3. Karen says:

I was given the Golden Standard , that has me in my bed most of the time . Golden butchers that take money from Johnson and Johnson corporation to harm women and take our normal lives from us !!! The Golden Standard that can’t be properly place in a women bodies ,because their no where to tie it. The Golden Standard that has stopped me from sitting for more then 5 minutes !!!!!! The Golden Standard that stopped me from enjoying a walk no longer then 5 minute !!!!!! The Golden Standard that stopped me from running around with my grand daughter !!!!!! Let’s not forget The Golden Standard that will never allow me to go back too my career as a United State Mail Carrier !!!!! Last the same old Golden Standard that stop me from enjoying my husband !!!! Okay I get , the worst every made products known too mankind and it will never stop Destroying women lives no matter what . The same Golden Standard that’s made with polypropylene that the Butcher “Doctors” have to cut into like a paper doll to make fit in our bodies, then try to figure out how to tie it together. ( AUGS) why are you so greedy , why are you so evil, why are you so selfish, why are you so hateful , why are you a thief , why are you a butcher, why don’t you care , most of you have wives, all of you have mothers,sisters, aunts,nieces ,grandmother , but you Hate Women??????? I believe one day very very very soon like today you will get your ups and coming, like the Titanic , You Will Founder !!!!!!!!!!!!!