December 2014 – Welcome to Mesh News Desk

Peace on Earth by Mark Adamus

Peace on Earth by Mark Adamus

Welcome to Mesh News Desk/ Mesh Medical Device News Desk!

As the year comes to an end it is time to reflect on pain and success. And peace.

Your editor talks to many in the mesh-injured community and some folks are just now beginning to realize they have a problem with their pelvic or hernia mesh implant.

In July 2011, the FDA issued a warning that complications are “not rare” and that mesh should be used sparingly. That does not seem to be what is happening in real life as pelvic and hernia polypropylene mesh seems to be a first-line defense.

Mesh News Desk is working on a Doctor Directory to help you find doctors who realize there are problems emerging with this material and certainly due to the lax training many received from mesh manufacturers.

There are currently 100,000 lawsuits filed against seven manufacturers and MND has been following those cases. As of late, the plaintiffs have achieved multi-million dollar awards in court, usually a predicate to settlements from industry. But will it ever be enough? How much can help offset a life altered from pelvic pain, nerve damage and multiple mutilating surgeries to remove the mesh?

Mesh News Desk is not intended to substitute for advice from your lawyers or doctors.  Please advocate for yourself and collect your medical records including operative reports. Feel free to go to our Facebook page and ask any questions from the thousands that visit there monthly. You will get answers directly from those most injured who have been there!

Mesh News Desk is a news source and has been so since 2011. Having said that, honest reporting deserves some compensation.  I’m always looking for supporters/ sponsors/ advertisers / donors to keep Mesh News Desk doors opened so I can keep reporting.  You can contact me at janeakre@meshnewsdesk.com. Let’s find creative ways to have MND work for you! also visit the Go Fund Me website.

Personal e-mails written to me are never shared and Mesh News Desk is not a legal referral service!

Please sign up for the regular newsletter with insights on what’s happening. Check out page one on the right hand side.

As always, I’m grateful for your feedback and your contributions and comments! Write me with any comments and concerns and thank you!

Jane Akre, Editor

Mesh News Desk

janeakre@meshnewsdesk.com

1. I have had a horrific time and for years did not know it was the mesh, however, I did suspect it for years.

2. Sam kadi says:

Jane,

First, Thank you for your fabulous reporting.

My wife passed away few weeks ago. She had her mesh erosion removed just 2 years prior to her passing away.

The pain and suffering was enormous. The mental anguish was beyond explanation.

The loss of consortium caused us both 2 devastating years.

Her doctor, Dr. Schneider of Charlotte NC was honest and said

discomfort will be relieved but shrinkage of the Vagina will happen and intercourse could become impossible and it did.

3. Diane Elliott says:

Please contact me with an address, as I would like to contribute to the fund. I would be mailing a check. Thank you for all that you do. You are my only news source. I am having my removal surgery at the end of March, would mot have found Dr. Raz without you. Thank you Diane.

• Linda says:

Diane,

I had my removal with Dr. Raz and reconstruction with Dr. Raz. If you have any questions, Jane knows how to reach me. UCLA is an amazing facility. I have been there 6 times and have been treated so well each time. I am sure you are feeling scared and asking questions can put your mind at rest. There are many women on the site that will be glad to prepare you. In fact I was there this time last year. You will be in GREAT HANDS!

PO Box 3553, Ponte Vedra, FL 32004. Thank you!!!

4. Christie says:

For those of you who have had your Mesh removed by Dr Raz please share if it has helped alleviate pain. Also after you removal were you able to return to a normal sex life. How long was your recovery?

5. Diane Elliott says:

Diane asks, I would also like to hear from anyone who has had surgery by Dr. Raz. Linda volunteered, I would be interested in any information she has to offer. How long recovery, pain, lenght of time in bed. The inactivity is as bad as the pain, I would love to have my life back. Thanks in advance for all information.

6. All Meshed Up says:

Thanks Jane, for all of your efforts and reporting of all things Mesh. It still amazes me that after many years of a growing community of Mesh Victims, especailly now with the advent of Gynecological Meshs, we are still seeing an appaling increase in the Mesh Injured. Seen in the comments of many of your articles is the man or women, victim or companion , that is dicovering that years of health problems is linked to a Mesh product.

Since my Hernia surgeries, starting in 2006, I have had bowel and gland infections in increasing number and strength. Although I have made my beliefs that my mesh surgeries/implants ( J&J Prolene &Kugel/Bard) is the instigator of these infections, all the Dr.’s I have talked to did not agree. Last week I lost a large chunk of my Sesmoid Colon and about 10 inchs of large intestine. I did not have a history of bowel infections before I had my mesh installation/removal/replacement. The bright side being that in Feb. 2015 the Surgeons will put me back together and I will no longer have an Ostomy. And please believe me when I say that having an Ostomy is not all the fun the Doctors say it is!

My belief is that having a long term Mesh implant, especially those made of Polypropylene, causes more health problems beyond nerve pain and damage. Leeching of chemicals causing immune system degredation comes to mind immediately. Although there have been no studies of this possibility, there was a study of chemical leeching by PP labratory dishes in Canada that skewed experiments.

2014 has brought us Lawsuits of increasing numbers of women who have been implanted with mesh. In the years to come, when the FDA finally cannot ignore anymore, we will be told that having a Mesh product for extended years does indeed cause many more health effects than erosion, migration nerve damage and pain than ” was first believed”. When the statistics come out and the list of associated illnesses are published ( God knows when), the American people will discover the largest Medical Fraud perpetrated by Medical Manufacturers in our History. No other product on the Medical Market today has as many complaints and documented injuries as does Surgical Mesh and the FDA knows it, has the documentation that proves it and completely ignores it.

Thank you again Jane for your reports and giving Mesh Victims a Forum and a source of Mesh news found few other places. I wish everyone a Very Merry Christmas and a wish that 2015 will be a much better year than 2014. God Bless, Richard Montgomery Howden, aka: All Meshed Up

Hi Richard – Though MND is largely focused on pelvic mesh as are the trials, I hate that you with hernia mesh injuries are further thrown under the bus! As I often hear from docs, the use of polypropylene (PP) will continue until there is something better! Well for you and others, living with a hernia would have been better. Could it be the polypropylene? Who is looking at that and if not, why not!!

• All Meshed Up says:

Thank you Jane. As far as being thrown under the bus, we Hernia Mesh Victims were thrown under the bus and it has been parked on us for awhile now.

I have asked for an extensive blood analysis but for some reason the tests are never done as requested. I do believe that there is a link with PP and Immune System problems mainly due to the many Mesh Victims I have cooresponded with over the years that have described the same symptoms. But how could I prove that when the FDA won’t even acknowledge there are major problems with ALL PP Mesh products anyway? As with those affected by Asbestos and Radiation from Nuclear Bomb plants, something like what is happening to so many people with Mesh will take many years to come to light. Whether by design or not, many of us will be dead or so sick that any compensation or apology will mean very little.

Merry Christmas, Jane.