C.R. Bard May Settle 500 Cases for $21 Million

Bard Avaulta

Bard Avaulta

October 8, 2014 – Readers of Mesh News Desk have been wondering why there has been no news on the C.R. Bard front while other mesh manufacturers are quietly settling pelvic mesh-injury cases.

Bloomberg reports an agreement has been reached between lawyers and C.R. Bard to resolve more than 500 product liability lawsuits with a $21 million settlement.

That amounts to a little more than $42,000 per claim from the Murray Hill, New Jersey-based company.

A response from the company for verification is pending.

Traditionally any settlement requires that 90 to 95 percent of those affected agree to the terms, which includes a confidentiality clause. Agreements usually includes a clause that there be no further claims filed against the company.

C.R. Bard is currently facing 12,445 transvaginal mesh injury cases consolidated in federal court in West Virginia.  Bard is currently preparing 500 lawsuits for trial in that court early next year.

According to the latest Securities and Exchange filing for Cr Bard Inc (BCR:NewYork) July 25, 2014,  Bard agreed to settle 500 Avaulta Transvaginal mesh lawsuits. The Avaulta line of transvaginal mesh has since been taken off the market in the U.S. In many cases mesh manufacturers continue to sell a line that has been discontinued in the U.S. to other countries.

The amount of the settlement is undisclosed but earlier this year the company was also reported to have paid $259 million in a defective product matter in addition to $400 million last year.

Joe Rice, Motley Rice

Joe Rice, Motley Rice

While Motley Rice is not involved in this settlement, Joe Rice  tells Mesh News Desk a decision to settle is an individual one that must be considered carefully.

“Every woman needs to focus on the facts of her case, what her chances are and what they are advised may or may not happen if their case goes to a jury trial.”

Bard Lawsuits So Far

The case of Christine Scott v. Bard was heard in a Bakersfield, California courtroom in June 2012. The jury awarded Mrs. Scott and her husband $5.5 million, a portion of which is to be covered by her implanting doctor who was also named in the action.

So far two Bard Avaulta cases have been heard before federal Judge Goodwin.  In 2013, the Donna Cisson case resulted in a $2 million verdict for Ms. Cisson. In its filing, Bard denies the case is representative of future outcomes.

In its second trial, Queen v. C.R. Bard, Bard settled on the eve of the litigation. While the dollar amount was not disclosed as both sides agree to confidentiality, the number is presumed to be higher than $2 million because the plaintiff had a six-figure income and many more productive working years ahead of her.

Bard also produced the Composix Kugel hernia mesh products and as of July 2014 there were 220 federal and 105 state lawsuits filed by individuals who claims they were permanently injured by the implantation of that polypropylene mesh, according to the SEC filing.

Bard’s consolidated trials will begin again in early 2015 before federal Judge Joseph Goodwin in Charleston, WV. Earlier this year he ordered 200 cases be prepared for trial and the associated costs were taken from the company in the second quarter of 2014.

C.R. Bard claims in its SEC quarterly report that “...as of July 7, 2014, product liability lawsuits involving individual claims by approximately 12,445 plaintiffs have been filed or asserted against the company in various federal and state jurisdictions alleging personal injuries associated with the use of certain of the company’s surgical continence products for women, including its Avaulta® line of products. In addition, five putative class actions in the United States and four putative class actions in Canada have been filed against the company (all lawsuits, collectively, the “Women’s Health Product Claims”). “

Plaintiffs are seeking medical monitoring, compensatory and punitive damages, a judicial finding or a cause or defect and attorneys’ fees. Interestingly, Bard says one of its suppliers has an obligation to indemnify or hold harmless the company with respect to a defective product claim.

American Medical Systems and its parent company Endo International recently announced a $1.6 billion settlement for women injured by pelvic mesh.  The same conditions of confidentiality will apply.

Johnson & Johnson has been quietly settling individual pelvic mesh injury lawsuits but vows to continue fighting these lawsuits in a court of law.

There are currently more than 100,000 defective product claims filed against seven mesh manufacturers. The women implanted with polypropylene mesh claim it was defectively designed and fraudulently marked and that instruction to physicians was insufficient to provide true informed consent to the unsuspecting patients. #

Learn More:

Bloomberg, October 8, 2014, Bard Said to Pay $21 million – http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-10-07/bard-said-to-pay-21-million-in-first-big-vaginal-mesh-accord.html

History of C.R. Bard

$1.6 Billion AMS/Endo Settlement Announced http://meshmedicaldevicenewsdesk.com/patient-profiles/1-6-billion-master-settlement-reached-to-resolve-ams-pelvic-mesh-claims/

Securities and Exchange Filing Cr Bard Inc (BCR:NewYork) July 25, 2014

#

1. ahmed says:

My name is Ahmed,i have been married to Robyn. She suffered from poor health while

we were together which caused her to do six surgical operations followed the main operation.

The main operation was removing her transvaginal mesh, but because of wrong doing in the operations room,

my wife had to go through a long treatment therapy and multiple surgeries which affected my life as well.

Supporting my wife during that time hurt me emotional and financial.

My wife had a sympathy with me and told me by e-mail that she will give me half of what she is getting as a compensation

from the wrong doing doctor case.

My wife recently denied any rights for me and broke her promis and i think i deserve some compensation for

the damages i have in my life…sincerely Ahmed

• InAZ says:

Ahmed, if you are in a community property state you are entitled to 50% of the medical expenses and lost in wages. However, the portion for personal bodily injury and suffering (which is the majority of the payout portion) is not part of the community property, as she owns her body and no one else. No one, I mean no one will know the suffering of what the mesh did to a woman until one has experienced herself. I realize you think it’s not fair that you won’t get half of what is supposed to be paid out. But realize fairness was never in the equation for us sufferers or the ligations. No amount of money will suffice for everyone’s suffering, that includes the spouses and children. Life is not fair that’s the truth.

• Nickcol says:

First, I am outraged by the possible settlement amount that we would receive if we settle. I would have to write a dictionary sized comment to get all of my thoughts out.

Ahmed,

I feel for you if she broke her promise. My husband is entitled in my heart, but we’re still married. If I received compensation after a divorce…that’s where it becomes tricky. Put yourself in her shoes. I’m sure she supported you through the things you went through when you were still together, but would you give her half of any lump sum you might receive in your future since being divorced? You should try to sue the mesh company yourself, but your wife’s suffering is probably something that could not be “shared”. You don’t have a clue unless you’ve been through it…Hope it all works out for you…

2. Jane R. says:

Does the company pay the amount or does the company’s insurance pay the claim.

I’m just wondering if the company itself has to pay for the lawsuits.

• Jan Urban says:

With this dollar amount for a settlement one would have to prepare themselves for the poor house. It does not make sense the amounts these lawyers are settling for. A workers comp claim can get more for just about any minor injury. For gosh sakes are co-pays add up to more. The injustice of it all , Pharmaceuticals profit, doctors profit, hospital profits THE LAWYERS CERTAINLY PROFIT. AND WE ARE LEFT SITTING IN A PILE OF…….Of course we are woman and health issues by most men are dismissed. I call it discrimination. None of the suffering is psychosomatic, but most doctor’s and lawyers are male. They with all their education, experiences and skills still think this way about women. I know from first hand experiences not only with the mesh side effects but it has happened 85% of time with my overall health care. They brushed us off for years regarding heart disease. The whole business of these law suits really……….. We won’t even have enough to buy a chocolate candy bar for that little bit of pleasure that just for a moment says life is good. I just hope medicaid is available I won’t have enough from Social Security to live and pay for medical care. Well I was born with nothing and I guess I’ll…………. nothing………….. Maybe we should approach the women in Congress and the Senate?

• InAZ says:

Unfortunately, we were and are pawns for everyone else to make money off of us.

You do understand that law firms put out hundreds of thousands of dollars in working up these cases, travel,paying experts, assessing your life long costs.. all of that costs money. Just to throw some balance into your statement.

• sicklysad says:

well, attorneys do deserve to be paid, but 40% from each and every one of us! Now that there are so many of us, thy could cu all the way back to 10% and STILL make out great! While we will as everyone else has stated, end up suffering the rest of our lives with out even enough to pay off our original medical bills. I will be another person living off the taxpayers collecting disability and medicaid! It is deplorable! These companies should have to pay our medical for the rest of our lives! Including traveling wherever we need to get this out of our bodies, and whatever rehab we need to get through the years of agony we will endure as well as compensation for what we have already suffered!

• All Meshed Up says:

Jan, I am sorry for your damage done by the mesh. But do not blame men for it. There are many of us men out here that have been damaged by mesh as well and many of us lost a testicle because of the Mesh DESIGN. Gosh, it might have been designed by a women! Let’s blame a women then. We have all been hurt by mesh. The Lawyers make money off of our suffering. The Doctors make money from implanting the mesh. It is all a vicious cycle. AS Jane stated, the Lawyers put a lot of time and money to get these cases going. I do not agree with the amounts they are making but don’t start blaming MEN for YOUR plight. THAT is discrimination…..

3. Jane Akre says:

Remember not all cases rise to the significance of the worst! Some cases may have been added in to where the woman merely has an implant with no discomfort or minor discomfort. That increased the numbers of cases but also lowered the average settlement rate which could have been an incentive for the defendant to settle. That is one reported theory. The tiers of injury should still represent the least to the worst injuries with settlement amounts that reflect the degree of injury. Frankly, what is the cost of reimbursement when your health is involved? Is any amount enough?

• Jan Urban says:

It’s such a long process and we are the victims the hours we spent filling out forms with medical history from the time we were born. Which I do not see why they need this and I thought we had privacy laws. and we did not need that information to have a Pelvic Mesh Sling put in us. The whole thing stinks. What if any thing for the spousal part of these settlements or is that separate. Ahmed, I know that in my agreement with my attorney it says if my husband and I get a divorce, he would not be included in any settlement. Maybe your wife just found this out. Jane, are you saying that these 500 cases are for minor injuries maybe?

• jade says:

I agree, wholly, Jane with your overview of the situation. UNfortunately, we can NEVER be compensated for the physical, emotion and financial loss we have sustained. However, we must, especially you, Jane, be congratulated on the great work that has done to help women via your website and your unyielding pursuit of Justice for all the victims. We must also be proud of the words we have all written here that will hopefully prevent these atrocities to ever happen again! The World has heard and has learned from this forum. Keep being HEARD – keep writing and speaking about what they did to us. Speak to everyone who will listen and keep speaking to those who will not, until they DO!

“Justice? — You get justice in the next world. In this one you have the law.”

― William Gaddis, A Frolic of His Own

• Jane-There is no excuse for that paltry settlement from Bard especially when companies are building billions into their annual budgets now for this very reason. Less taxes and attorney fees 500 people are sharing roughly $6-$12 million unless I’m missing something? That’s an estimated $24,000 (or less) per victim. This settlement didn’t hurt the government or the company but did an excellent job of re-victimizing the victims. #BOYCOTTBard

Yeah- its not much,,, not at all AND does it preclude them from ever filing any other lawsuits if they develop additional problems down the road? Probably so. It shuts the door on further actions against that company…. that’s why the defendant wants to settle. A horrendous prospect if the person develops more complications….

• All Meshed Up says:

You hit the nail on the head with that statement Jane. With these small settlements comes the fact that there will be no other action possible for the Mesh Victim who has accepted the money.

Here are people that have had their lives turned upside down and sideways. Their health has been ruined as well as their livelihood, physical activities including sex and will be on pain meds for the rest of their lives. I include myself in this category. But to think that after years of suffering mentally and physically that your life is worth $24,000, $40,000 is ludicrous. I can still get up and around, I can go fishing, hiking but I am in pain. There are days when I cannot get out of bed, or to the store or even out the front door, and if I do, people that know me can tell immediately that I am not in good shape. I will endure this till I die. And the damn thing is, most of you reading this are in the same boat as I am if not worse. My symptoms are not going away but are getting worse. So, where will I be in 10 years? My Doctor says there is nothing that can be done for me surgically so pain meds etc are the only thing I can do. $40,000 could really help me out right now. BUT, $40,000 will not bring back what I have lost. $400,000 on the other hand would make sure my remaining years were not spent worrying about money. But unless you have the right Attorney and the right case you will never see that many zeros in your settlement.

The MDL cases should not be settled for anything less than an amount that will make sure the Mesh Victim will not have to worry about money. There should also be a Fund set up for Victims when their health goes to hell because of Mesh. This way there would be no worrying about medical care and how much it will cost. Although I do not really know but I doubt whether ObamaCare is going to be a big help to those of us that have been PERMANENTLY damaged by mesh.

The Manufacturers are getting away with huge profits from a Medical device that has been shown to be dangerous when implanted but no one within the Government could give a flying crap about that. All of the complaints in the MAUDE data base, all of the cases that have been settled and all of the cases still in the works is not enough to get the FDA off it’s collective ass and do something. Those are the Facts as I see them.

These Mesh Victims that are getting these small sums of money are being swept under the carpet and will no longer be considered part of the whole group of Mesh Victims if the Government makes a tally. They have been “Compensated” for their injuries. What a crock! We should never have to worry about money or medical care again after being a Guinea Pig for these Manufacturers. But in their mind, we are worth $4000, $24,000 or $40,000 depending on your category. The only thing missing from all of this is a tattoo of a bar code on our forehead.

Meshed Up… at the end of the day I don’t think even $4 billion could be adequate compensation for your health…..!! And those of you with hernia mesh are not even being offered $40k. Reclassify all mesh to Class III including SUI and hernia mesh… Have medical devices come with a warranty. Create a device warranty to track adverse events early, sort of like an auto recall!! Cars have VIN numbers after all!!!! So much needs to be done to attempt to right this upside down situation! I’m so sorry! ~ ja

4. msm says:

This link is to minutes for a meeting of both sides of all MDLs with Judge Goodwin. These minutes from Sept. 2013 are the last posted. I’m sure they have had more meetings but have chosen to keep them out of the public eye. Maybe Jane has access to more recent minutes?

The defense complains that a large number of cases have no evidence of injury. This is from a year ago, but the number has probably increased with the active recruiting by law firms. I think Judge Goodwin made it clear that it must stop. Those cases will most likely receive some form of compensation as part of settlement agreements since it increases the profits to the participating law firms.

I have noticed that the ads now clarify that serious injury or surgery is required to receive the “substantial compensation” they always advertise.

My understanding on background info I received is that cases were added to the numbers to lower the settlement amount average. Not all of those cases include injuries. However, Dr. Raz says he is seeing injuries 5 to 10 years down the road from a PP implant… so who is to say these individuals have dodged the bullet? Thank you msm… I cannot possibly keep up with this all so I really appreciate the eyes you all provide…~ ja

• msm says:

I’m afraid many will get burned by the statute of limitations since some won’t show sings of erosion, infection, etc. for several years. The manufacturers know if they can get past the first few year with a product that they’re in the clear. That is unacceptable. Endo has many other medical device suits against it and several are MDL’s. I would guess the other manufacturers are similar. That is the FDA’s negligence in their “clearance” process. Too many are being hurt with no prior warning of risks in part because of a lack of testing prior to marketing. It must change across the board for all devices.

5. Pam says:

I am one of the injured who has recently sought legal counsel with my situation. Not a complainer by nature and obviously gullible, I took what the doctor told me at my followup visit when I had my second mesh implant, that I was fine. I told him that sexual intercourse was not comfortable for either myself or my husband. He said, ‘you are fine’. My husband and I just chalked it up to how life was going to be for us. Since then, I suffer again from SUI along with pretty constant pain and a total lack of sexual desire because of the pain involved with that part of my life. My poor husband gets so frustrated. I also suffer from UTI’s and kidney stones on a regular basis. My question is, how can anyone put a price on the future suffering? I know it’s impossible to do, but $42,000 does not come close to covering everything that is to come for a person like me. I pray for better justice for my personal case, but the news of this settlement truly discourages me!

• Pam says:

I would also like to ask if there is special criteria when hiring an attorney to represent your case? I started by contacting a local attorney in my home state and he referred me to an attorney in a different state. They sent me the paperwork to sign but before I do, I thought i would reach out to others who may have experience with this area. Lastly, I appreciate the law firm working on a contingency basis, but I was floored when I was informed that this firm would be getting 40% of the net I could possibly receive. Sounds like an awful lot to me but I am ignorant when it comes to this information. Any advice is helpful.

Hi Pam-

You might want to hire a firm that specializes in your particular manufacturer…janeakre@meshnewsdesk.com Also see if you can negotiate a cap on expenses or a firm percentage, not an add on of expenses which can be exorbitant.

Pam- Once you have your medical records and know what manufacturer you have it will be easier to choose a firm… in my opinion, one that talks to you is important. Go to so district of WV and you will see the MDL. click in the executive committees and see which law firms are handling your particular manufacturer… you might want to conduct interviews of several firms. Also before you sign any agreement that they write… negotiate a cap to their expenses. In my opinion again, 40 percent is high and could include expenses, not to exceed 40% or a lesser amount of the first 100-thousand with capped expenses. Look up negotiating tactics or talk to someone… as a careful consumer I would not just sign what was presented to me. ….again, my opinion only.

Hi Pam- We don’t know the particulars of these 500 cases ….but you are right….if it shuts the door on future injuries, it is clearly potentially a frightening prospect.

• Anna Cantu says:

Pam

It was like I was reading my own story just now! My doctors who have done repairs….if you can call it that…have all said that it’s better now than it was when it first prolapsed! REALLY??? Are you inside my body when my bladder is throbbing and my nerves are jumping down my right leg because I may have vacuumed a little too much or walked the dog or God forbid….had relations with my husband??

And sorry to say….it has mostly been male doctors but I’ve had 2 women doctors scoff at my pain as well!

6. Lana Keeton says:

When you hit the thumbnail above top right of this page for your advertiser…The Corporate Action Network….it says: “The power of VICTIM ADVOCACY”

“The Corporate Action Network also works to preserve and strengthen the rights of people to challenge corporate power in the courts. Powerful, targeted litigation can sometimes be the most effective tool for changing bad corporate behavior, and the largest corporations are pushing hard at every level to limit our rights in that area. The Corporate Action Network supports victims by building powerful public campaigns to win just settlements.”

This is a very serious issue for thousands of very, very injured women. Where can we find their public campaign helping the women on this site to win just settlements? For sure the women really need the help considering the anemic amount of money you report the women are being offered to settle by these companies. These settlements are a disgrace, no matter the reason.

Lana Keeton

7. Lana Keeton says:

My comments on MDL settlements to mesh injured women:

You have the right to say no. You have the right to negotiate. If at all possible, have someone help you with the negotiations. Have a friend who is an accountant or an attorney or business person who is accustomed to negotiating help you.

Every situation for every woman is different. Mesh is personally devastating and it is very, very difficult for the mesh injured person to negotiate for himself/herself. Get someone to help you with the negotiations if at all possible.

No settlement will ever give you your life back but I wish all of you the very best settlements possible. God bless you. Lana Keeton

• msm says:

It says a lot about our legal (or illegal) system when we need to hire a lawyer to deal with our lawyer. Can’t afford it and they know it.

8. Sandy says:

First of all Ahmed even my husband who I will be getting a divorce from says i am the one who suffered not him. Yes he had to work extra, yes he had depression and loss of companionship. But if your wife had to go through what you said be a man and give your wife a break. You can go out and still have a good life can she? For me I was hurt so bad by this mesh I will NEVER NEVER be pain free again. I will never be able to work again. I will never have a sexual relationship again. FOREVER THIS WILL BE MY LIFE! I understand about a mans suffering but half come on!!! You do not have to wake up in pain, walk every inch in pain, wonder if some days is it worth living any more. I face more surgeries and it sounds like your wife does too. YOU ARE NOT THE ONE BEING CUT INTO! YOU ARE NOT THE ONEWHO WNDERS IF WITH THIS SURGERY YOU WILL BE WORSE OR NOT OR WHAT THE TRUE OUT COME WII, BE! I have been told it will take 2-3 years per side to see if I will ever get better and I may get worse. COME ON AHMED– your wife not being fair to you– how about you being fair to your wife? I will give some thing to my husband because he did work hard to keep me from being homeless but half, sorry no way and he even agrees. He has seen my suffering first hand day in and day out! I am sorry for what you went through but stop thinking of yourself and realize what this poor woman has had to go through!!!! And will the rest of her life. This is not a free for all and I get pissed at those who think they are entitled to something for nothing. I am sick of the people who make this hard on the women who and men who have been truly damage

FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES. Sorry if you have had discomfort with your mesh. I am not disregarding your pain. But try for one week being me! Not able to walk, sit or even lay down with out pain. So sick to your stomach day in and day out from meds you can’t even eat. Flying again half way across the country to have surgery!

Ahmed sorry but I think you are extremely wrong for wanting half. Sounds like you just want free money. Suffer like most of the woman have then and only then will you be entitled to half.

There is never enough to pay for the destruction of our lives, but the settlements must be bigger! I AGREE JUST SAY NO TO THE AGREEMENT! Until we stand up for our rights we will get stepped on. Those of you who have been so damaged it takes multiple surgeries to try to get the pain under control or even live some kind of crippled life SAY NO, to those of you who are using this to try to get some money for the sake of getting some money, shame on you! That is taking advantage of the truly hurt women and men. That’s like parking in a disabled parking spot just to shorten your walk. You should be ashamed of yourself. I know of a woman who did this. She filed a claim and is not really hurt. She had issues had the mesh taken out and is now running around, riding motorcycles, partying etc… I am angry at people who just jump on the band wagon expecting to profit off of other people’s suffering. I know our husbands and families have suffered too. Yes spouse should be given something. But to out and out expect that is wrong. I will give my husband this he said I am the one who deserves the money not him. He said he would have had to work hard any ways. He said I am the one who was hurt and had to go through all of this BS. Compared to me he has gone through very little. I can only pray more men and people step up and realize this. I can only believe God is watching and knows what is going on. Many days it is only him that gets me through.

• msm says:

Ahmed can file his own lawsuit for loss of consortium. He can foot the bill because no attorney will ever take his case on contingency. Let the courts decide what he deserves. Maybe he can negotiate a settlement for himself but, as far as I know, the current settlement offers name ONLY the women who were injured and in no way address loss of consortium for a partner. No court would ever award an estranged spouse a dime of her settlement.

9. Jane R. says:

Sandy, I’m so sorry you are going through this. I don’t know how much longer my husband and I will be together. He had a heart attack in 2011 and is the one working now. His doctor says he’s doing well but come on, he had a heart attack and he’s supporting me? We fight a lot. And it’s about money.

He doesn’t understand how I feel. No one really does unless you’ve had the surgery. I can’t lift or bend and my house looks terrible. PIles of stuff all over that I can’t take care of. He won’t. And it could be he can’t. He’s 60 years old and goes to work everyday.

My copays and deductibles are at $4,000 this year so far. So we are living paycheck to paycheck of his and not enough to cover everything. I’ve turned down jobs because I never know from day to day how I will feel or be able to drive. I had to cancel an appointment at the Pain management center and the receptionist was annoyed that I was cancelling. It was more than 24 hours before the appointment. I was in so much pain I couldn’t drive. Husband works 3rd shift and has to sleep. The receptionist said can’t you take the bus. I’m thinking if I could take the bus I wouldn’t need to go to the Pain center. So people don’t get it. I wouldn’t have been able to climb unto that bus because of myofascial pain in my hip. I didn’t have the money to call a taxi.

The point I’m trying to get is that if offered a low settlement and I’m not saying that will happen but for me it might be the boost to help me. I will have lost 10 years of wages at over 50,000 a year. But right now I need some treatments and can’t afford the copays. You can’t put a price on this for sure. I’d be happy with my lost wages.

10. MamyG says:

Try being a single mother supporting a teenager on your own. I looked at my pay stub today and for the entire year I have only grossed $24,000.00! That is before taxes, before all of my medical expenses. This is due to not being paid when I don’t work. I don’t have anyone else or a significant other for additional income. If I don’t work…then my daughter suffers. She has suffered enough at 14 years old having to take care of me when the days come that I can’t get out of bed, or the enraged emotions that are exacerbated by the pain that I have. Her dad passed away in April of 2013. I am ALL that she has. So any uninjured persons thinking that they should get a part in this can kindly look at the bigger picture…our children. They are the ones who should be able to file suit to for emotional distress and loss of their deserved childhood. I have yet to hear anyone mention anything about their children. (I know that not everyone has children). Sometimes I hear her with her friends and it sickens me that she feels she can’t go to the movies, go out to eat, enjoy homecoming…because she knows our situation. She even wants to get a job….AT FOURTEEN YEARS OLD…so that she can help pay bills and so we don’t have to suffer and scrape by. I don’t want a handout. I want what is rightfully mine…MY LIFE BACK. And, since I will never have that, you can bet your sweet behind that I won’t settle unless it fully compensates every aspect of mine AND my childs loss.

• MamyG says:

And I have had my implant since October of 2005! Try living with this crap inside of you for almost a decade. surgery after surgery, day after day wondering if my employer will finally fire me because I can’t make it to work, never getting a raise, ….I’m sorry, but I am pissed. I can’t help it. I’m on a rant.

• Anna Cantu says:

Early 2006! We probably got some of the worst mesh on the market since there was such a rush to get it out there!

I started complaining of pain as early as spring 2007 Wayyyyyyyyy before any television commercials telling the public we are getting millions! Do I think there are people milking the system? Hell yeah! I pray the lawyers really weed them out. I have talked to people who got mesh implants and all is well but they have only had them a year or two.

We know we got some really bad stuff in 05 -08 or so because it was still being “tested”!

• Kitty says:

My heart goes out to you MamyG. It is so hard being a single mother—let alone being crippled. I prayed for all of us yesterday. There is so much discrimination and injustice in the world.

• Kitty says:

Mamy G I hope your day will be a bit better today–as I offered my up my pain to the almighty for your well being.

11. Sandy says:

That is exactly what the companies are hoping will happen Jane. You get to the point where some thing no matter how little is something. They are like vultures picking off the weakest one at a time. Do they have a help center where you live? Can they help you? Salvation Army?? I understand where you are at. I wish i had answers. This exactly what happen in these cases. They can wait for ever the victums can’t. My husband told me he wants to keep trying. We need to get back to church and put God back into control. Is there a church that can help you? I will pray for you.

12. Jane R. says:

My husband makes 15.00 an hour. He just started getting his pension in December. After 3 years of low income we are still trying to catch up. Tried to get some help when he was on unemployment. They told us to move to a cheaper place. No money for a security deposit and unemployment? Oh sure, I’m sure that would happen.

Fortunately he got the 15/hour job and we moved to a cheaper place.

I have been trying to get Social Security Disability since 2011. I have had many tests, MRIs, EMGs, Xrays but they don’t show much. The mesh hurts. It pinches and stabs you. I have myofascial pain from the nerve damage in my left hip. That nerve damage pain started within 36 hours after surgery in 2008. Had it ever since. I’ve tried to work but nearly every night I have back pain, stabbing leg pain, leg cramps so without sleep I’m a zombie and become a leathal weapon driving a car. Right now the SSDI office says I can walk so I can work. I’m appealing.

As we know doctors don’t like to say the mesh is the cause of this but after the Salazar and the Hurley case it proves it. My symptoms are exactly like Hurley’s. I get prescribed anti depressants for the pain. But not one of my doctors will say the mesh/surgery is the cause. I’m highly sensitive to medicine so have terrible nightmares, hallucinations, etc. Some said this before. I’m trapped in a body that doesn’t work.

• Jan Urban says:

I have nightmares and dreams that stay with me all day flash backs i call them. This happens when I take anti depressants. I do not take anything but advil for the pain. My pain in my hips that radiates down my legs while laying down will paralyze me if I do not get up. That started six weeks after implant. I am up with no sleep 2-3 days at a time. Lately I have a lot of pain when I’m sitting. Standing has always bothered me after 5 minutes. But like you said I been sent to all kinds of Doctors for all my ills since implant and all say “it’s not the mesh” I remember years ago when I saw a male gynecologist for cervical warts(in my 20’s). I told him it felt scratchy while having intercourse. He said ” you can’t feel that”. and I said “how do you know, you don’t have a cervix”. He was an older man this Doctor and he fell silent. My new Doctor listens but still is not convinced it’s the mesh. I have a consult this week to discuss my upcoming surgery on the 29th. After having to types of tests vaginal and rectal with ultra sound for both, performed by the Dr. he said I got to do exploratory to get a better look. I’m not sure what is going on. So will see.

• Kitty says:

Jan This sounds very familiar. Cutting into our vaginas and blindly stringing the mesh thru must be one of the reasons we are having the pain in the hip and pain radiating down and around. I started taking (Emergence C)-a multi vitamin drink and I am coping a little bit better.

• Disgusted says:

Ladies and gentlemen, I want to say I found a report that states when the obturator nerve is damaged that it can cause hip pain (the obturator goes into the psoas muscle) it can cause inner thigh pain, it can cause “crease pain”. The TOT SUI meshes were put near the obturator nerve. The obturator nerve can affect the ability to sit. The obturator nerve is near the pudendal nerve and that also can cause a problem with sitting. Butt spasms (piriformis & gluts) and other muscles are affected by this. One way to tell if the nerve is the issue is to have a pudendal nerve block. If the pain goes away with the marcaine or whatever they use, it is most likely nerve damage. If the pain doesn’t go away it can be an entrapped nerve. Look up pudendal neuralgia and obturator neuralgia.

• msm says:

I have heard the “you can’t feel that” comment from docs, especially older males. They say that there are no pain receptors in the surface of the vagina. Well guess what. The surface of the vagina is not the only tissue affected!

The pain from mesh erosion or extrusion doesn’t come from the thin surface layer of the vagina. It comes from all of the layers and structures through which it has passed. Pain comes from infection of the tissue integrated into the mesh and surrounding tissue. Pain comes from nerves damaged by the mesh and/or the procedure dictated by the manufacturer. If there were no pain receptors in the area, incisions could be made and portions of mesh removed without even local anesthesia.

This brings up another issue of “snipping”. Snipping the spots of exposed mesh in the office is thought to be curative but actually creates more sharp surface to damage the surrounding tissues and alters the form of the mesh potentially causing distortion, changes in pore size and curling of the edges. If mesh can be trimmed safely, why is it designed to a specific width? What happens if the edges of laser cut mesh is snipped as opposed to mechanically cut mesh? Why don’t we know? Because it hasn’t been tested. What percentage of patients (especially sexually active patients) ever fully heal from snipping. Is it just a revolving door of snipping, exposure and granulation tissue that never really resolves? There is no proven answer yet snipping is a standard of care for exposure.

What about partial removal? Removing a length of the mesh just frees it up to create twice as many pieces of mesh to wreak havoc. With the TVT , there are no anchors as with POP mesh. Once cut in the mid-line, you have two relatively long pieces of mesh between the pubic bone and the bladder. Depending on the amount of tissue integration, migration into and around the bladder and other structures (including nerves) is possible. The probability of migration could vary with the activity level, age, weight, and conformation of the individual plus the placement of the mesh which is never exact.

I’m getting away from my original comment. In my opinion, docs who think that women cannot feel pain because of a lack of surface pain receptors are ignoring the big picture. And you are absolutely right. How can they know if they don’t have one. Even the guys who wrote the medical books don’t have one.

Do they think women are Barbies? Do they read? Did they go to medical school? Did they study anatomy? Hello!!! The ignorance is appalling.

• Anna Cantu says:

My husband has said that he has felt it before so that is baloney that the doctor said that!

• Kitty says:

Hello Jane R and others. Back many years ago I did take Elavil for a few months after I had my last child. It helped nicely and I was able to gert off of it in 4 months and get back to a wonderful life. I believe that Antidepressants really should only be used short term to get a jump start and be on your way. I foolishly told the Urologist that removed part of my mesh this past year that “Yes I did take an antidepressant in the past and it helped” Now everytime I see her she pushes “We have to get your anxiety under control” She wants me to be on antidepressants. Be Careful ladies what you say—-because you will be labeled a “psycho” As I mentioned earlier I started taking “EMERGENCE C” a multi vitamin drink and it has kicked in a bit and I am coping with the pain a bit–let me repeat a bit better.

13. msm says:

• Msm says:

And for those of you with hernia mesh…how many doc have one of those either? Trying to justify why there shouldn’t be pain is negligent. The focus should be on investigating how to relieve the pain felt by the patient.

14. msm says:

Salazar punitive damages cut from $50 million to $11 million in Dallas.

15. Kim says:

Did the trial start in Texas against Boston Scientific? I thought it was to begin October 6th but haven’t seen any further mention of it here.

16. Jan Urban says:

Sandy, I am happy for you and your husband. It is so hard to get along sometimes when one has steady chronic pain and side effects that pop up any where on our bodies. I have a huge cyst on my leg near the groin and another strange lesion that just appeared on the back of my thigh , sores on my legs and belly, and I think to my self, what the hay, now what?……. With all these things happening I know that our husbands care and love us but they also are just as sick of it as we are. Jack says to quit with the lower lip. Instead of whining and grumbling I stick out my lower lip. Change is not easy. So, the best to you both. Also Sandy, You mentioned a Patch that goes behind the ear when you have anesthesia, Is it for nausea and such? My problem is when I am under not after I wake up. That what frightens me.

• Kitty says:

I believe its good to “throw up” after surgery. It rids the body of the anesthesia and you feel better. The Scopolomine patch drys you up and may keep you from vomiting —perhaps.

17. sandy says:

well I don’t know about throwing up after surgery because I really hate it when you throw up and it makes your incisions hurt a lot sometimes I like better not throwing up I don’t have a problem after surgery Jane R I would speak to the doctor about your concerns as far as me and my husband got back together sometimes he’s nice but most the time he says hurtful terrible things and I’m really getting sick of it we don’t look damaged people can’t see our disabilities but we are disabled we are hurt Once I get healed and better I’ll be finding a new life this mesh injury has changed my life forever

• Jan Urban says:

Thats not good Sandy. Mean, hurtful is not trying. He is just being selfish as most males are born this way. When we were feeling well this would be unacceptable and now that this explosion of ills have hit us it makes it even worse. When Jack drank and would run his mouth not at me but you know. I would say go to bed, and he would. Do not ever blame yourself. Does he go to the Doctor with you? If you cannot talk to him about his remarks and attitude, at least write them down as if you were talking to him about how this hurt you and how you are feeling. Keep a Journal and do not keep this kind of stuff in your head. It will make you even feel worse. I always tell the anesthesiology about these effects but I am still scared. Have a Good day!

• msm says:

Jan, many years ago, I use to get very sick after every surgery. I dreaded that more than the surgery. It would last nearly 24 hrs. Awful! Then something changed and I learned that anesthesia in general had moved to IV medication instead of gas in most cases. I had no more problems except some mild nausea after some surgeries.

In the last two years, I started getting sick again after every surgery. When I told the anesthesiologists, they actually said it was because it was GYN surgery. That’s not logical but I didn’t want to argue with the person in charge of my life for the next few hours! I was sick again after both even though one of the surgeries was orthopedic.

Before my most recent surgery, I told the anesthesiologist again. She looked at my records and said that she would use IV instead of gas that they had been using. I had no problems after surgery with nausea. The “fashion” in anesthesiology (at least here) has reverted back to gas or maybe I was an uniformed guinea pig in a study (wouldn’t be the first, right?), but I will always tell the anesthesiologist about it in the future.

I know I should not be discriminatory, but the people who passed it off and said it was GYN were men. It took a woman to listen and go to the trouble to look it up. It took her a matter of seconds on the computer right in my pre-op. It took confidence to go against the flow and use what was best for the patient instead of blindly following the trends (or forcing a patient into a blind study).

I hope it works out for you.

18. Sandy says:

Does anyone know of a web site that can explain what pudendal nerve surgery is and how painful it can be. I have a MAN who does not believe this can be so PAINFUL!

19. Jane R. says:

Going for my 6 months check up today. Been getting stabbing pains off and on lately. They are in the groin area. Left side or right side. I’ve had them off and on for 3 years. Happens when I bend over too much or do too much. And I have been trying to clean my house this week end. My doctor says it’s not the mesh but what can it be? I get no answers on that one. Phantom pain?

My urogyn has offered to cut out the exposed mesh but I don’t know what that would do for me? It has not caused infection so I’m lucky on that. BS mesh was not to be used in a human so cutting may release chemicals? I don’t know but trying to avoid that at all costs.

My mesh is in the wrong place. My urogyn asked me if the doctor that implanted it knew how to the surgery? Well I thought so. My TOT broke twice during surgery. They had to use another one so I don’t know if that is why it ended in the wrong spot.

See what she has to say today. She won’t admit in writing as to my problems thus far. Let’s see what she says about the Hurley & Salazar case. My symptoms are exactly like Hurley’s and I did email my doctor this info.

20. charles says:

If yall hadnt bit into that apple we wouldnt be havin all these problems

21. sandy says:

I find that offense Charles! Remember most of the doctors who are telling us it is in are heads are men and they have no clue how bad they hurt us! I wish the men who were not hurt by this could feel our pain! It is not a woman’s fault this happened to us!

• charles says:

And i find your hypocrocy offensive if you dont likr to be blamed for everything , quit blaming everybody for everything most men are doing the best they can. This is about mesh injury , and there are plenty of women here making plenty of money not just men

22. Disgusted says:

For pudendal nerve information you can go to: http://www.pudendalhope.info/node/9

23. sandy says:

I am not blaming every body for everything. Yes there are women doctors also. I am just blaming my doctor and the company who made the product. I am badly and permanently damage from their product. I know it’s hard in husbands and family but they do not have to live in pain day and night for the rest of their lives. I know the ones who love someone hurt by mesh suffer seeing that person hurt. And yet I wish they could know my pain. I have been on the other side when my husband almost died a few years back.I would rather be the supporter than the one hurt. Sorry if that seems selfish but I have been in constant pain for to many years already. I blame no one but the ones who did this to me.

24. Jane R. says:

Well, interesting appointment today. My doctor told me the women having problems are because of bladder prolapse. She said very few have had a problem with just the bladder mesh. The prolapse mesh is supposed to be a lot bigger than the bladder mesh. She said I have complications that she has rarely seen in the smaller bladder slings. I don’t know if I agree. Not all the claims are from the prolapse surgery.

She said she could remove it but it won’t help with my nerve damage in my leg. She said that it could have happened because of the way I was positioned during surgery. I don’t agree with that either.

She said she could also do Botox injections because I still leak or have too strong bladder urges. She said Botox I might have to be catheterized for a month before I could go on my own. No thanks.

But she is fine with me leaving the mesh in, it hasn’t eroded more. She could put a camera in my bladder to look at it for mesh erosion on the inside.

All in all, she wasn’t going to commit that the mesh causes me the majority of the problems. I would not imagine that the hospital would want her to say anything against Boston Scientific or any other mesh manufacturer.

Well, not much support there. But I know how I feel on the inside.

25. Kitty says:

I don”t remember who brought up the Tobacco warning about the use of this product being hazderdous to ones health. But that is probably the warning they will have to use. As for Ahmed I feel sorry for him that he is so pathetic that he needs that money. He obviously has been castrated—by what or whom I do not know.

26. Anonymous says:

Could someone please post the WVA district attorney listings per mesh manufacturer that Jane spoke about? I have an attorney but the office seem sto be too big for their britches and arrogant and do not communicate well. AN IMPORTANT question: IF I signed a contract for the said attorney, let’s say 4 years ag,o can I fire them and get a new attorney?

27. Anonymous says:

I think I found it I hope this helps others reading. Where do I find the lawyers for Gynecare TVT J&J/ Ethicon?

This is what I found so far.

28. Anonymous says:

Can someone explain why some are in the NJ court and some WVA? I know it’s a silly question but I thought they all came together in WVA?

• msm says:

It’s my understanding or misunderstanding that the panel of MDL judges made the decision to send a number of cases from WV to other courts. It is in the pretrial orders. At some point, all unsettled cases may be sent out to state courts for trial.

• Kitty says:

msm—when did you hear that? Wouldnt our attorneys tell us and would we have to get an attorney from our state?

• msm says:

It is in the pretrial orders on the federal court website for each MDL. Your attorney should communicate that to you. If your attorney has rights to practice in the state it is sent to, you should not have to hire a new one.

29. Jane R. says:

Odd…my name is no longer listed. What would that mean? I was on the WVA list along with my husband.

30. Jan Urban says:

http://www.pelvicmesh.info Has anyone been on this website. I believe it is fairly new. I think you would call this a tutorial all about Ethicon Pelvic Mesh. It covers, how trusted they are and that all there device have been through extensive testing, mesh materials, development, studies, even all the news regarding their litigation and how they stand . It quite a spread and designed well as the layout and format engrosses you to read everything. Even the words Gold Standard is mentioned. Check it out…. Ethicon you can KMA.

• msm says:

Among other things, it conveniently avoids the FDA statement that complications are not rare. I thought it was required in marketing, labeling, and end-user documentation/warnings. It is interesting that they did not use their own Internet domain but chose a generic “pelvicmesh.info”. I wonder if that could be interpreted on face-value as Ethicon speaking for pelvic mesh in general for the average public reader who may not realize that there are different brands and types.I would think this would create tremendous problems for them in court to say the very least. Thank you, Jan, for bringing it to our attention!

Good one thank you… they are confident they will reign supreme at the end of the day. The longer they wait to settle, the higher the stakes get….the more information coming forward about autoimmune issues, toxicity of polypropylene, withheld documents. We are now talking multi billions of dollars with the price tag rising every day. ~ ja

• Jan Urban says:

Jane, I cannot find all the words to express how much you are appreciated. You must not have a life outside of Mesh. Thank you. Busy day today. Received Letter from Congressman Gibbs and one from the FDA. Both of them I have found to be perplexing. Isaac Chang, Ph.D., begins by thanking me for submitting a Medical Device Report? And my report will be entered into CDRH’s Manufacturer and User Facility Device Event (MAUDE) database. I did not submit a report recently?. I wonder if they found one of several that I filed online? The Congressman’s letter tells me what I think I know already. May 1, 2014 FDA proposes reclassifying Trans-vaginal pelvic organ surgical mesh. Here’s where you can read the full proposed rulemaking. https://federalregister.gov/a/2014-09907. He assures me he will continue to follow the FDA’s progress. Jane if I knew how to email this to you I would. I have all the equipment but no skills. I’m weary. Also drove to Akron. Had consult with Dr. Rooney about upcoming surgery. Oh, and the Congressman gave me the address, web address, and enclosed a paper form MDR. I not sure what to do. I know I asked if they could check on my report. But did not mention that, yes the FDA did receive report.

• Jan Urban says:

Also… I would like some info on the nerve(s) that caused radiating pain down the legs to forward to Doctor . Couldn’t be the mesh…?I can’t see it doing that. Well lets just show him. Check this easy to read and understand site RE:Autoimmune System. http://www.innerbody.com/anatomy/immune-lymphatic/lower-torso. The diagram of this system is really cool. Take your mouse and move it around the pelvic area and it will tell you what nodes etc effect what, how, when. I find the Iliac nodes very interesting. Well thats all folks….

• Anna Cantu says:

I have been having the strangest sensations in my 4th and pinky toe lately…anyone else? It’s like hot water being poured down my veins into these toes. One day I looked down to see if my doggie was peepeeing on me!

31. Anonymous says:

Jan Urban,

Thanks for the link. wow. I have pain that girates down from my lower pelvic prior mesh removed trigger point down to my thigh and i hurts so bad I cannot stand. To any injections of steroids to count and injections into my pelvic muscle in my vagina. That hurt so bad there are no words.

msm, I meant the cases under Linda Gross in NJ. Why are they there and the rest in WVA. It does not seem like the NJ cases will ever move in more ways than one.

Jan Urban wow on the Ethicon Pelvic Mesh link. I will go look now.

• msm says:

I guess I don’t understand your question. Maybe Jane Akre can better address your question.

A lot goes into decisions by the MDL judges panel. Where was the case filed originally? Where will it be most convenient for the majority of witnesses? J&J is headquartered in NJ. Boston Scientific is in Massachusetts. Should a manufacturer’s products be separated? Ethicon Prolene cases were sent to Middlesex Co.,NJ. Ethicon Prolift cases were consolidated to Atlantic Co.. Where can the most evidence, discovery, pretrial action, etc. be shared to efficiently move cases through the system?

Regardless of venue, cases will not move to trial any faster than a few per year. At least one judge is developing pools or waves of cases within the MDL’s that share more common issues than others and is pushing them to trial in the next year or two. It is sort of an MDL within the MDL. Similar groupings may be sent to state courts where they were filed because NJ, Mass., are overloaded. The US Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation will do whatever it sees fit. At the current rate, it will take decades for the cases to be resolved unless there are mass settlements.

As always, it’s just my opinion.

• Anna Cantu says:

And just to note…these injections break down the immune system severely! I have caught every sniffle, cold and stomach virus that is out there! I am afraid to leave the house!

32. Anonymous says:

I just read this http://www.pelvicmesh.info

It makes me cry to see they actually used the words debilitating only in reference to the urinary incontinent issues that their product supposedly helped.

I had their exact product removed in more than one surgery and my urinary incontinence is WORSE. I urinate constantly it seems. It is debilitating because of Gynecare TVT mesh, I also have bowel movement issues because their defective mesh destroyed my pelvic muscles so badly I cannot have a normal BM without a push of the perineum area.

It makes me sick to hear the words “the gold standard” that iswhat I was told when I was questioning what the heck was the matter with me. I heard the gold standard and NO ONE ELSE HAD problems. I was so alone years ago thinking I was nuts. And now 20,000 people later they still call it the gold standard? It boggles my mind.

• Jan Urban says:

I was reading in the mesh news desk archives. Page after page of comments from so many sufferers. These entries go back years and continue to date. Appalling that still nothing has been done about removal of these destructive devices. All anyone has to do is read these comments and know it should be recalled and/or banned. I’ve also read all the FDA reports. The 2008 directive, notified Doctors to first tell us about the device in detail and what could happen and keep records of our symptoms. Was this the notice that so many Doctors said they never received? In the update they listed numerous adverse effects and this was in 2008. It’s like the FDA, Manufacturers, and the Doctors are all saying So What? Big Deal. And proceed, business as usual. Did they all forget how to read? We know they can count! Reaping all the Dollars they can from mesh. It’s criminal. My heart is heavy and my tears are never ending for myself and fellow mesh survivors. I also was reading some studies on pelvic mesh and the frequency of Chronic Pelvic Nerve pain at PubMed.gov that said it is highly underestimated. Go to site and read full statement and more studies. So you see. New information and studies are popping up all over that support what we have and continue to say is wrong with our bodies and it is MESH. Knowledge is Power. Keep reading and writing.

33. Jane R. says:

Jan Urban,

Thanks for all your info. Seriously, I keep telling my uro gyn about the leg pain and she says it’s not from the mesh. Yeah it is. I know it is. The pain after the surgery was so intense in my leg it would knock me to the ground. Right down on the ground. Within 36 hours after surgery. I was told Sciatica happens during surgery sometimes and it will go away. Well, guess what. Not after 6 years.

Also my legs are swollen with lymphedema. That started within 2 weeks of surgery. The lymphedema can also press on the nerves and cause shooting pains. I have big knots or lumps in my legs.

And I have the myofascial pain in my hip. I really can’t complain about it much because the next step for me is shots and I don’t see

34. Jan Urban says:

It just does not make any sense to me, I’ve been reading all these brief summaries on the studies that have been conducted in numerous periodicals that I am sure that Doctor’s subscribe to one if not more of them. Why in all these years if not this year have they not read what I have? I’m gathering info to show my Doctor. He also thinks the pain radiating down from my hips to my toes is due to something else. Trust me I walked into that hospital and that evening I could hardly crawl. That sling was pulled so tight, it felt like I was hanging from it, also went home with a catheter, which were mentioned in one or two of the studies that it could create problems.

35. Jane R. says:

I remember right after the surgery, maybe a week after. My nerve pain started with a burning, very intense burning down the leg. I was walking to the car, my husband was parked at the curb. So I was walking through my front yard and boom. The pain was so intense it knocked me down and I screamed. My husband was what the H#*& are you doing. If I go to my chiro that helps to keep that pain from being so intense. But I should go every week but stretch the appointments as far as I can because of the copay of $40. Every time I see a doctor it’s 40. and sometimes I have 3 appointments a week. I’ve paid way more than I can afford this year in copays and deductibles. I was told that the mesh was one size fits all and my pelvic is a little tilted. So that could be part of the reason. And mine broke twice during surgery so was the doctor pulling the sling back and forth through my nerves? My uro gyn will remove the mesh but she has told me several times it will not help my nerve pain to have the mesh removed. And it could make the nerve pain worse. But she still insists that the mesh is not causing the pain. Well technically not, but have the mesh done sure caused the pain. I’m at a loss as to what to do. I can’t get disability unless a doctor comes out and says how the mesh is affecting my health. Can’t sit for more than 15 minutes, can’t walk for more than 15 min, can’t lift more than 10 lbs etc.

• Kitty says:

Jane R—technically it may not be the mesh—-but the scar tissue caused by the placement., It is not good to have anything strung thru our V. I believe it was msm that gave us a brief inservice on the A & P of vaginal nerve endings and so on. I was sent flying a couple of times too. Its like a bolt of lightening and down you go– If you get to a good Pelvic floor therapist–they may be able to help.

36. Kitty says:

I was to the Dr yesterday and had another pelvic exam. The excruciating pain that night while i was trying to sleep was almost unbearable. This happens when anything is put into my vaginal area. I had to call my Dr to see if I could come in next week to pick up my prescription for Vicadin—now that it is a Schedule 2. Hydrocodone cannot be called or Faxed in. THANK YOU FDA and CDC Thank you for your new guidlines on pain medication as well as the guildines for protecting the nurses from getting Ebola. Where is the FDA when it comes to dangerous transvaginal mesh implants. Where are your guidlines? Where is the reclassifiucation of this dangerous procedure? Is anyone as disgusted as I am tonight?

There just something VERY VERY wrong with the FDA reclassifying medications that help so many people in chronic pain—— especially elderly people in Care homes and Nursing homes. This will keep the FDA busy with this mess so they won’t have time to reclassify our pelvic mesh.

It is disgusting that people in Chronic pain (the Majority) of people on Hydrocodone have to be classified with the small percent of drug addicts and ignoramus’s that overdose. SHAME SHAME ON YOU FDA!!! SHAME SHAME ON YOU CDC!!!

• Jan Urban says:

How can we be so sure. I just read several articles on how the procedure is done. It’s a BLIND procedure. No camera’s are used. It is no wonder so many of us have these debilitating side effects. The trocar has to be guided through a complex of muscles and nerves, never mind the fact that if you are not laying in the perfect position. Well, we know what can happen. The procedure and techniques used for implanting this Pelvic Mesh is not suited for a women’s body. But hey it rakes in the money for the Doctors, manufacturers, and certainly the lawyers. It’s absurd to place the mesh inside us with no pretesting in this section of our bodies. To many preexisting conditions can be present and it only takes a little knick or anything to start the ball rolling and it keeps rolling. I just can’t believe Dollars over Intelligent, Well Educated Professionals allowed this to happen. It does not make sense.

37. Kitty says:

True. Many factors are involved. They need to take a TIME OUT and do some studies. I don’t know wherer I saw this advertised—maybe it was in a vintage magazine—but it was a Girdle type panty that helps keeps the female orgains lifted. I wish I could go back. Lets face it we were railroaded in on this miracle cure. hindsight is 50/50 and we need to go back to this underwear—–at least while testing is being done. Enough testing on women. Bring in the

GOATS—and I do mean the old ones.

38. MICHELLE says:

I have had nothing but pelvic pain and problems since my mesh insertion in 2008. I have horrible pain and cant have a normal sex life; which causes verbal and some physical abuse from my husband. My marriage was great until this. My husband doesn’t understand the intense pain i endure every day. I would get a divorce but I can’t afford it. I don’t make enough at my job to take care of my two kids. Having that surgery has been the worse decision I have ever made. I have trouble with pain with urination and intercourse that is so bad that i cry and i never want sex again. I am waiting for Motley & Rice to bring my case to trial. Some days I wish I was dead because the daily pain is horrible.

Michelle… I’m so sorry… Your husband needs to understand that mesh injuries affect entire families and you are not complaining for the sake of it or for attention. Ask him to read Mesh News Desk and the comments so he understands that he is victimized by this procedure as well..I surely hope he shows you some compassion – isn’t that what marriage is supposed to be about? Let us know if you have adequate medical help…. thank you… j. akre

39. Shellie says:

Hi just looking for info on Bard settlements.My mesh and sling was put in 2003 and failed in 6 weeks.Had to have surgery again in 2005 sling and posterior repair.Had adhesions and a ovary removed in 2013 because adhesions were chocking ovary out.Had to have my vaginal wall repaired in 20014 and have to have Puedendal nerve blocks for pain.My question is Im broke from all my surgeries and can’t work because of pain.Wer hanging by a thread and can barely make ends meet.How long do these things go on.Its already been 4 years since I filed.My health is going down hill and medical bills are going up.Can anyone tell me more about what’s happening???I know they are in settlement talks,how long does that take?Thanks frustrated and broke.

Shellie- What does your law firm say to you? Do you know what tier of injury you fit in? Have the lawyers received everything on your case. Do they understand they you are barely hanging on? I’m so sorry. Settlement monies range from $6-thousand to about $120k which is before legal fees I’m sorry to say. That is the information I’m receiving from the women. No one from law firms has confirmed those numbers. I’m sorry- it is nowhere nearly enough to compensate you for the failed implant.

40. Jan Urban says:

Once again it has happened in Women’s Health. Had to go to ER last Thursday, was bleeding from the rectum after my surgery. I told the Dr. and nurse what was going on and I mentioned I had a Pelvic Mesh Sling and their reply was we don’t do or deal with mesh slings. I just wanted to know why I had been bleeding from my rectum. I guess mesh does not exist. All the Doctor’s have no idea why this was happening and I still don’t. Anyhow back in the forty’s when they were testing the Bomb and women began losing their hair, and had radiation burns and sickness were told they were suffering from “Housewife syndrome” I also found out how the manufacturers began designing and making their mesh kits. Word got out that Doctor’s while doing female surgeries with an abdominal incision or bikini incision, repair was done by the doctor cutting a piece of mesh themselves. So that’s were the bright idea of mesh kits came from, but i would say the kits they designed are not similar to the Doctor’s procedure at all.

41. Anonymous says:

I hope this is the correct thread. Regarding the reported settlements where there was wide speculation each person was estimated in public to get $43,000. I found the following.

Begin Quoted Article

“According to Endo, they settled nearly all of the remaining U.S. lawsuits against their Perigee, Apogee, and Elevate mesh implants. While the current deal settles over 10k lawsuits, Endo had agreed to pay approximately $830 million earlier this year to settle an additional 20k suits. Both deals have average mesh settlement amounts or mesh settlement values in the $40K to $50K range, though many cases with serious complications and revision surgeries are expected to be awarded much more -as much as $400K in some cases- according to Legal-Bay’s sources close to the litigation. The settlement was announced after the U.S. FDA stated the vaginal mesh inserts needed stricter safety requirements as they are high-risk devices. Endo paid $54.5 million to resolve an undisclosed number of suits of their devices in June of 2013, and now the company has agreed to pay nearly $1.3 billion to resolve the most recent settlement of lawsuits. ”

End Quoted Article

42. Anonymous says:

Why should ANYONE, who received a 6 figure income, prior to surgery, be compensated for lost wages? These people are only taking away from the people who have suffered equally but did not, nor will ever, receive a 6 figure income! I had a biologic mesh surgery that was done “transvaginally”, causing me to receive an infection that went into my blood and nearly killed me! I also have urinary problems, nerve problems, as well as pelvic and bladder pain, from the surgery that will last a lifetime, but I’m told that there have been no “biologic” mesh surgeries to go to trial yet, and for all I know, may never go to trial! IF it does ever go to trial, there probably won’t be any money left for me to receive any because of people who are being compensated for their ridiculous 6 figures in lost wages! This is not fair! We should all be compensated as per the damages done to us physically and emotionally, NOT for our lost wages, which I’m sure these people received plenty more than me through “disability income” than I’ll ever see for what this surgery caused me and my husband and children, in a lifetime! We have ALL lost to to some degree or another, but to compensate rich people for their lost wages should be put to the side until EVERYONE, (rich, middle class, and poor) have been compensated for their bodily harm, first!