August – Five Years of Mesh News Desk

Anniversary flowers WikiCommons

Anniversary flowers
WikiCommons

August- Happy Anniversary Mesh News Desk

Welcome to Mesh News Desk, Your Resource for mesh-related news and information.

We hope you are enjoying your summer.

This site began five years ago this month when pelvic mesh litigation was just beginning.  Today there  more than 100,000 lawsuits filed in the U.S. alone and as well as cases filed around the globe.

Pelvic mesh is still being used. Hernia mesh, also made of polypropylene, is used daily as well.  This site’s purpose is to bridge the disconnect between the injured and the medical community and mesh makers who are still promoting their products as the standard of care or “Gold Standard.”

Pelvic mesh product liability litigation is still ongoing, albeit very slowly, too slowly for some women who are losing their homes and husbands during the wait.  Most manufacturers are offering some settlement dollars.

J&J is the last holdout, though despite its tough talk is quietly settling some cases. Those J&J cases NOT settled, more than 40,000, will begin to be trial in courts in Philadelphia and Texas very soon. Stay tuned.

MND is not a substitute for legal or medical information from your professionals.

What MND is is a collaboration of some very smart and capable women who have had enough and are weighing in on the failures of the Food and Drug Administration to protect them and the continuing refusal to help them fund the surgeries they required to make them as close to whole as possible. This has been an incredibly dark chapter in modern medical care.

Be sure to file your adverse event report with the FDA, it is the only way they can track this vast experiment. See how here .

Those who are new to the issue, recently implanted and looking for answers, expect to see more introductory stories in the future.  Check out the Reading Room as a resource here,  and check the Search Bar.

Be sure to use Facebook to post your questions as well. This is a rich community with very wise women.

For those of you considering having a pelvic mesh implant, or a hernia mesh implant for that matter, please ask your doctor if he or she knows how to do an alternative procedure.  Unless and until one can predict who will react negatively, the Precautionary Principle is advised.  These pages will attest to that.

jane threeOnward Friends!

Jane Akre, editor MND

janeakre@meshnewsdesk.com

1. Mary says:

Thank you for your dedication and hard work. You have helped so many.

2. Tammy S Jackson says:

Happy Anniversary, Mesh News Desk. Jane , you have been a voice and a wonderful advocate to all Mesh Injured. Thank you and be blessed.

3. stopmeshimplants says:

This continues to be a long, nightmare of a journey. Very grateful for the news, updates and information you
    provide all of us on a regular basis.
    Thank you, Jane.

4. Lordhelpus says:

Thank you Jane for all you’ve done and continue to do for us. ????????????????????

5. Linda Dodson says:

Its been a long time since I’ve visited your website and I find it appalling that the FDA continues to allow these companies to continue to use medical mesh on women. Women have been used, for many years, as guinea pigs….. as the medical science field tries to come up with more innovated devices. The FDA is first and foremost the responsible agency that is allowing this to happen. From my firsthand knowledge of having mesh placed in my body, without my consent, I made it my mission to find out everything I could about how the FDA operates. This began in October 2006. The FDA is aware of the dangers that these devices cause but continue to fail in their monitoring of the adverse event reporting system. I have done a little research today and have discovered that the same mesh material is still being used. The only difference is the companies are taking the old named products off the market, giving them a new name, and the harmful outcomes are the same. I plan on doing more research on the FDA’s website, under adverse event reporting, and compile a list of the company name, product name, how many deaths, serious complications, repeated injuries, hospitalizations, permanent disabilities, etc. The last time I did this, I believe it was in 2008/09 and I had a 57-page report that the FDA received.

Thank you Jane for your continued reporting on this subject. I will share my findings with you.

Linda, You are one of my heroines in this mesh mess. I look forward to what you find and will revisit your 57 page report to the FDA if that is alright with you. I understand, after so many years you enjoy having your life back, but this is a travesty and needs at the very least to be documented so it is never repeated. The way the FDA is set up today, really nothing has changed and it could happen again. Unfortunately, women are often the recipients of these untested devices. Again, Kudos to you!!!! My sincere respect.