Anti-Inflammatory Diet for Pelvic Pain Management

still standing graphicMesh News Desk, March 10, 2016 ~  Thanks to Still Standing for her series on the management of pelvic pain following a mesh implant.  Her contribution as someone who has studied and teaches pain management professionally, is very much appreciated. Still Standing cannot be identified because she is involved in litigation. Last month, she authored Medical Management of Mesh Complications (here).  *Note her challenge to readers in the last sentence!  You are invited to submit your essays for publication. All opinions are welcome.

Notes on anti-inflammatory diet for pain management, by Still Standing

Sometimes, when our pain is so intense, especially in the pelvic area, it is hard to step back and look at some of the systemic things that are going on even at the cellular level that can impact the chronic nature of pain. Understanding these systemic processes will not make pain magically disappear, but applying knowledge about pain and inflammation can have an impact on our daily experience of pain. Making some dietary changes can have a significant impact on inflammation, which drives pain.

Pain, is the result of inflammation. Inflammation is what happens when your body senses a threat and unleashes its immune function. Inflammation can take place anywhere in the body and generally it is the result of some kind of physical trauma. But, as seen in pain that becomes chronic, inflammation and pain can develop away from the area of the original trauma.  Mesh women well understand this and can have diagnoses of fibromyalgia, TMJ, Interstitial Cystitis, chronic UTI, auto immune disorders, even depression. While there is not hard scientific evidence that links mesh to auto-immune disorders, many mesh implanted women report that they have developed one post mesh.

Prolift partial explant

Prolift partial explant

Think for a minute about inflammation that you can see. Think about a cut you have had on a finger. Over the next few hours, your body responds by sending in chemicals that help stop the bleeding initially? You might then see redness around the cut. You will most probably feel pain. This is a signal that your immune system is responding to the cut by segmenting that area off and targeting it with white blood cells. Over time, the cut heals, the redness goes away and you forget about the injury.

erosion and secondary infectionWhen you have chronic pain, your immune system gets stuck on high alert and even though the initial trauma has healed, your body’s immune system continues the attack on your body which can trigger higher pain.

Your body does not like intrusions, like a cut, or mesh. The immune system goes into high alert to try to get rid of the intruder. Bringing down inflammation by looking at some common things that increase inflammation and learning ways that lower inflammation can help. It is commonly recognized that being overweight increases inflammation. Exercise generally helps reduce inflammation.

Stress increases inflammation, calm reduces it.

One important, but sometimes overlooked contributor to inflammation and pain is diet. There are foods that definitely increase inflammation. These are, of course, the foods that we turn to for comfort–high fat (pizza, red meat, mayonnaise), high sugar, processed carbohydrates (such as cookies, cakes, donuts, pasta, white bread, chips). Another major driver of inflammation in our diet is dairy (milk, ice cream, cheese, and yogurt. Aspartame, found in my favorite Diet Coke is also high on the list as well.

Image from Amazon

Image from Amazon

kalesaladEliminating, or at least reducing these things in our diets can reduce inflammation throughout our body while eating more anti-inflammatory foods can help decrease pain. Here are some good anti-inflammatory foods: fish, nuts, fresh vegetables especially dark and leafy ones like broccoli, kale, spinach, and fruits, flaxseed, whole grains, and other things that aren’t nearly as appealing as the high inflammatory ones.

One food I love that is, in small quantities, good for you is chocolate, YEAH! Not milk chocolate, but very dark chocolate. Dark chocolate bars can be found in most box stores. Trader Joes has really good ones, but I have bought some at Dollar General that are also quite good.  Two or three squares is the approximate daily limit, but I’ve been known to stretch that amount.

Once you decide to try to eliminate, or at least reduce, these foods, you may find that your pain is less intense.

I tried to go cold turkey on all of the major inflammatory foods: wheat, dairy, sugar, eggs, red meat as well as some other foods I tested highly sensitive to. Pork, rice, oats, tomatoes, peanuts.  I did ok for a couple of weeks, then I stepped off the deep end of food cravings into a land of donuts, hamburgers, angel food cake, and that was just in one day. So I have had to step back,, forgive myself for the breakdown, and do a slower elimination.

Dark chocolate, Apex nutrition

Dark chocolate, Apex nutrition

This on again, off again approach will not be as successful, but it keeps me from derailing completely. Anything that you can do to reduce inflammation is a step forward, so do what you can. If you could just pick one of the major drivers of inflammation–sugar and dairy—and commit to not having one or both over two or three weeks, you might see an amazing difference in how you feel. You really have nothing to lose, except some pain, so it is definitely worth the investment of time.

Since the mesh, I have developed cysts on my nails at the cuticles that break open and ooze and other knots in my finger joints. Going dairy and sugar free has absolutely eliminated these areas of inflammation. Stepping back into sugar and dairy…especially dairy brings them back again, so I am gradually losing my taste for both. I use cashew milk for my protein smoothies and coconut milk for cooking. If you have any of these external signs of inflammation, you can be sure that the same process is going on in the body tissues you can’t see.

I would be interested in challenging the readers with a three week no dairy challenge and we could report our results here, then maybe go for more elimination the following weeks. #

1. Shirley says:

I`m up for this challenge anything that might work to reduce inflammation. I been drinking lots of water and watching drinking too much beverages containing caffiene and sugars. Been drinking Black Coffee ugh! I miss sugar and creamer. Although sometimes I cheat and add it. But eating Healthy is a good thing can`t hurt that`s for sure. Thank You!

• Still Standing says:

Great. A challenge taker. Two comments about your post. I was drinking lots of water, just sipping all day. My doctor told me to quit because I have neurogenic bladder and spasms. Constant drinking was causing the bladder to have to work all the time processing what the kidneys dump in. However, I have trouble with UTIs, so there is a fine line. On the sugar/sweetener dilema, eating refined white sugar or artificial sweeteners such as Equal ( Aspartame, the worst offender of all) or splenda definitely promote inflammation. However, sweeteners made from plant based foods such as stevia, monk fruit (nectrese), xylitol are ok in moderation. I like Nectrese but it is hard to find around here. It is available online. I like the taste of it best. You can also use raw sugar. I bought an organic raw coconut sugar at Wal Mart that is very good called Better Body Organic Coconut Palm Sugar. Just getting off refined sugar and Articicial sweeteners can have positive impact. Can you tolerate any of the non dairy milks? I use cashew milk,dont like soy or almond milk, coconut milk is ok, and I dont like to drink any of them. I cook with coconut milk. Milk was hard to give up because I love it and used to drink at least a glass a day, but I can tell a big difference when I am off it and there is obvious inflammation when I Say Oh Hell and ingest it anyway. I have to learn the hard way, very hard. There are even some ice creams made from coconut milk that arent too bad. They are the So Delicious brand. Not an equal substitute for REAL ice cream, but tames my craving monster for a while. You also have to read ingredients because many many things have milk products or whey powder. Probably not worth getting obsessive with at first, but maybe something you can refine if you see improvement from being off the major dairy products ( this includes yogurt, too, again one of my favorite foods) i just try to keep the mindset that I am doing this for my best interest instead of thinking I am being deprived of the things I love. That makes a difference.

• AP says:

Still Standing, after reading your comment, I have come to realize that perhaps I have been eating all the wrong foods. I have gained some valuable information and insight into something I had not thought about. I’m going to take your advice and cut out the items you mentioned and begin a new eating regime starting tomorrow. If I sound desperate, I am. I’ve been having serious issues along with what you had to say and it appears that I spend more time at the doctors than paying attention to what I am able to do for myself. I never had “belly bloat” until immediately after the mesh removal. Problem is I can’t get rid of it. Thank you from my heart for all your inputs.

2. mary says:

i have started eating salmon,, tuna salad the green leaves one’s with lots of fresh veggies. my smoothies i have almond milk, protein powder with frozen fruit at walmart they have lots of varieties no sugar added i am going to try to stay on this diet eating healthy is great i know my stomach gets inflamed so much pain..

• Still Standing says:

Sound like a great plan. Just check to see if your protein powder has whey ( whick is milk product). There are vegan protein powders that do not have whey as an ingredient. I have been amazed to see where dairy products are included in the ingredients.

• mary says:

Thanks Still Standing, i will check my protein powder to see about the whey i never thought of that i just checked and it said it does have 100% whey pure protein but said no soy protein and gluten free and sugar free .thanks again i will look into this mary

3. Rose says:

If I may put a different spin on things… look at your foods differently. Food is not bad. It’s what’s done to it that’s the problem!!! In our society we are eating food like products. And in many cases it’s processed to death -no punt intended. For those suffering with super high sensativities post mesh (FBR) look at the chemical – molecular makeup of your foods. It may be adding to the toxic overload/immune storms. Choose nonprocessed, nonrefined, starch free, grain free, grass fed, organic foods whenever possible ( the non immune stimulating/ irritating foods). Grass fed milk (for example) is accepted by the immune system differently than the a regular commercial milk. The grass fed cow hasn’t been treated with excessive steroids, antbx, hormones, soy, synthetics, preservatives, etc. We really do become what we eat. Well at least our cells do to some degree. Equally iimportant to wash your fruits and veggies prior to use. Soak items 15 min in 1 gallon of filtered water to 4 T of organic apple cider vinegar or 1 hour in filtered ice water to remove any dirt and or pesticides that may be present. Though these seem like minimal things it does decrease the immune workload/overload. Counting chemicals not food types & calories may be a better option. An excellent resource to get back to basis is the GAPS diet written by Dr N. Campbell McBride (a medical neurosurgeon who helped her son and thousands of other’s to find their way).

Thank you, very good add. Love the idea about washing fruits and veggies….

• Still Standing says:

Thank you so much for this input. My integrative medicine MD talked about the immune overload and it makes so much sense. I like the way you described the cellular impact. Have not heard of the GAPS diet, but going to look it up now. Send more comments. All of these dietary efforts can add up. Small steps=big results.

4. Louise says:

Hi! I am a victim of vaginal mesh.Ever since, I had it, there’s been problems. My UTI was worst and it brought, me a Bowel Incontinence. (so instead of 1 incontinence I have 2 now ) What a beautiful gift, the Mesh gave me…I had a Groin problem and I had a Hip replacement surgery. Problems occured and I had a second surgery of the same hip, because of an abcess and a bacteria.I had nurses come at home because they put me on a IV pouch that I had for 2 months attached to me…The gift that keeps on coming(Mesh) Also I have an immune disease called Psoriasis( since that horror mesh.I once had an IV at home and was wheel chaired bound at home because the psoriasis was so bad that it was infected and nurses came again. I had a second episode of Psoriasis and nurses at home, yet, again, but no IV for once.Instead I had antibiotics in pills.DRS. told me that I will have this, all my Life…What a gift!!! Besides being anxious mentally, physically and confined at home because of my 2 amazing incontinences, Life, is peachy…Afraid to go out, because people might smell, me…Can’t take it anymore and I didn’t see my Family Dr. since last Summer because I don’t believe in doctors, anymore.I’m a 65 yr.old widow, alone and my Life is over, because of those CRIMINALS…Can anyone tell me when, we “Canadian Women” will be compensated.Hope it will be this year, because I don’t have many years left in me , so I can at least enjoy it…And if it doesn’t settled, soon then they can put the money in my casket…Trying to joke a little bit but it’s really, really hard….By the way, ny Mesh is from Boston Scientific…Hope to hear from you because I don’t hear anything from my Lawyer…Heard that a lot, a lot of American Women had their money.What is the hold up.Are they waiting that there’s no money left or they go bankrupt.Those CRIMINALS did the Crime so they should do the Time…

• Disgusted says:

Hi Louise,

I’m so sorry for what you’re going through. I too have boston scientific. I can assure they are only settling a small portion, just enough to get the judge off their backs.I was once proud to be from the US, but this whole medical situation has given me pause. I no longer trust doctors either. I’m sure we can all understand the smell you’re referring to. This is so wrong.

Hang in there. I had a thought, don’t know how it would work, so here goes. We should have a big place where we can all get together with the proper foods, medical care etc. Kind of like the cancer institute. Individualized care and group support. I don’t think it’s much of a possibility at the moment because we’re not a large enough group. This is what truly stinks, we are big enough to ground the court systems to a halt, but not to influence the medical system to give us better care. I’ve been told so many times I’m so rare. No doctor will take me in my area so I have to travel 2 hours to medical appointments. Which are several times a month. We are casualties in the war on money over values. Just like other groups before us we’re being mistreated and ignored.

5. Disgusted says:

I can attest that diet does help with my pain and bladder. I am using the daniel plan diet. My body lets me know within 24 hours when I cheat. It is frustrating because there is nothing quick about it. One thing I do is use frozen veg’s whenever I can which eliminates a lot of prep time. Dr. Raz has put me on cranberry tablets and they are helping. I’m also taking different kinds of probiotics each day and have finally eliminated the yeast. It comes back if I get into sweets. I am on antibiotic. Yes this is expensive. I didn’t need to be so picky before mesh. I think it does help some with medical bills. I have been able to drop a few medicines. I’m still on way too many-but quality of life is more important and without them I can’t move. I wouldn’t wish this on my worst enemy. Thank you Still Standing and everyone who is adding to this column. Sharing our experiences enriches us all.

• Still Standing says:

Ive read good stuff about the Daniel plan and the plant based eating. Something like I Do except beans of any kind are irritating to the bladder, so there goes an important part of the diets nutrition. Also, quite a few fruits are not bladder friendly…strawberries are the most irritating. Of course, they tie with peaches for my favorite fruit. Trying to figure out all of the dietary stuff drives me crazy! Its worth it in the end, but getting there is HARD.

6. Mary Pat says:

I have eliminated all dairy and gluten for about 2 yrs. I stubbornly refused to give up dairy until the inflammation caused flare-ups the finally convinced me to give it up. Eliminating both dairy and gluten helped reduce inflammation quite a bit. I also eat only organic when at all possible. I am no fun at restaurants. It is nearly impossible to order dairy and gluten free. It is a sad choice but necessary. I would highly recomend eliminating both. I still struggle with foreign body response. It has made my entire system hypersensitive to everything. Have others experienced an unsightly, roseacia type rash on their face? I am at a loss to treat it. I have tried every cream out there. Facial creams and lotions all sting and burn and make the rash worse. I am using almond oil to wash my face! I cannot tolerate cleansers. If anyone can advise me on this it would be much appreciated. Prior to mesh, I had zero allergies and I could use any face product that I wanted to use. And I had a beautiful, clear complextion. People used to ask me what face make-up I used all of the time because they thought it looked so perfect. I didn’t use any face foundation st all. Now I need the works (green cream to cover redness, foundation, powder) and I still look like a teenager with acne. Are others having this problem? Posting this feels like frivolous vanity. Sorry for that. We are still women and we’d still like to look good. Mesh has taken so much….

Just as a FYI- the drug Benicar has been linked to digestive upsets that mimic gluten allergies. People taken off Benicar find immediate relief. That’s why the drug is the subject of litigation…..It also tends to flatten the villi in the intestines which can be permanent and lead to malnutrition. Please be careful of this drug!

• I agree with the gluten and dairy. Since mesh, I have developed intense sensitivity, in addition to dairy and gluten, eggs, potatoes ( can have sweet potato), tomatoes, yeast, onions, rice, oats, beef, pork, and oranges, strawberries, which covers basically all the food groups. I can basically eat berries and nuts. I just have to put in some cheat days. Try to be 80% compliant, 20% a little naughty. Dont cheat with dairy, though. It causes terrible things. I basically cant go out and eat. Nobody wants my company! An explanation for this is that when we have pain, our body up-regulates, not just where the pain is, it actually changes our brains and the signals it sends. So, we over-react to things we never did before. I have also developed skin sensitivities, scent allergies, you name it. The only cleanser I can use on my face is skinceuticals. You can get it online. My daughter, who treats skin problems, had me get a product called Skincando Combat cream. The link is below. It is an amazing product. It looks expensive,but lasts forever. So, $27 goes a long way. I use it for everything wrong with my skin. The only soap I can use to bathe is Dr. Brommers Castile Soap. It is liquid and comes in a variety of flavors. I like peppermint. I started using it post mesh as I just had this strange body smell, like an old chemistry lab, which I eventually figured out was when I had exposed mesh, so it is a pretty good omen. I searched the internet for help and settled on the Dr. Brommers. Buy at target, bed bath, etc. Strange, huh?? Hope it helps you. have you had any testing for more rare autoimmune disorders? Sounds as if you have something systemic going on with the rash across your face…it IS a sign of lupus if it is a butterfly type rash.

Let me know if the Combat Cream helps. It was actually developed for our troops in the middle east because they developed so many skin problems with the heat and sand and wind.

• Rhonda T says:

Hello Mary Pat, yes I too have Rosacea but mine did start prior to the mesh. I went through many different things and nothing worked but finally Azythromyacin was given to me through my dermatologist and that was the only thing that worked. Initially I had to take a full dose but then after that I only take one when it flares up and over night the spots go away. Also I have been drinking Bragg’s apple cider vinegar mixed with apple juice, it comes in bottles but I’ve personally only found them at Haggens where I’m at but you can purchase them online. I can’t stand just apple cider vinegar by itself. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_22?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=braggs+apple+cider+vinegar+drink&sprefix=braggs+apple+cider+vin%2Caps%2C247

Anyway I believe that helps and also I use Teva skin care especially made for sensitive skin and rosacea and I believe that has really made a difference as well.

I hope this works for you! Good luck!

• AP says:

I was not going to comment on any of these issues as it appears we all have about the same situation’s to deal with. However, at the end of Mary Pat’s reply she mentioned that the mesh has taken so much from her, I felt compelled to join the band wagon. I will also be a “challenge taker” pertaining to Still’s comment and doing a complete makeover on the food I partake of. prior to the mesh removal surgery and the surgeries that followed, I was a very healthy looking 76 year old lady. In fact my family physician would brag on me as I was a totally on the go person and in fact, my grandchildren and the greatgrands had a difficult time keeping up with me. The mesh issue has taken all of that with me as well as my joy in keeping up with my “kids”. Just standing for over an hour in preparing a meal for the whole family after church on Sunday is out of the picture because my hips and pelvic bone area ache so bad. Our get together’s on Sunday have ceased to be. Yes, I have to agree that the mesh has taken so much from me as well. Not just has it taken from me, it has given me fibromyalgia, damaged nerves in both legs, extreme fatigue, frequent migraines, chronic sinusitis, back to back UTI’s, bladder infections, and on and on like the rest of you. That said, I am a woman of a strong faith and I do believe we all will prevail in conquering the horrible way of life we are now getting accustomed to! I once could eat anything with no after effects but that’s a different story now and I will be the first to say that “Still’s” new way of eating is not going to be easy for me. However, I am a determined person and I will overcome. They say “if the shoe fits”, well I can see that I will have to make the shoe fit; like it or not. Thanks to Jane for her compassion, to Mary Pat’s last statement in her comment and lest I forget “Still”, I want you to know that you are an inspiration to this 77 year old lady who is weekly beginning to act and look my age. I have one last thing to say; God is good and I will continue to do a lot of praying. A challenge taker I will be.

7. Lily says:

I was wondering if anyone has been diagnosed with asthma since mesh complications, and if so, what management is successful. I am having a terrible time now with asthma, and can’t tolerate the side effects of presc. I have already modified my diet and eliminated dairy and wheat, still can’t breathe.

8. Still Standing says:

Lily, I dont have asthma but a host of allergies that I didnt have before. Are you taking a good probiotic? This sounds like a strange thingto take, but probiotics have been shown to help considerably with allergies. They help,with mine. Dont know if it will help with asthma, but worth a try. My daughter in law suffered from allergies terribly after coming to the midwest from California. After starting probiotics, she is a totally different person. She could barely breathe for half of the year, now not even a sniffle. Along with this, she does pretty clean, organic eating. Lots of greens and that has probably improved her immune response. Mesh causes inflammation, not just at the implant site, but system wide as the immune system tries to ged rid of it or block it off. Actually, it is a foreign body reaction. Anything that is put into the body that doesnt belong there creates a foreign body reaction. Thinkmof what happens with a splinter. It is the same type of thing with mesh. This is normal and expected as different types of cells go to the site to take care of the invasion. With mesh, it hasnt been able to complete the task, so the immune system gets hyper. Maybe probiotics can help. Type in probiotics and allergies and you will find some good information about the connection. Amazing, really, how all,of our body systems are so intertwined. Sometimes, we need to step back and look at the whole picture. Physicians dont do this often..they tend to see only what they are looking for and what fits their area of expertise. An integrative medicine doctor can help here, but most insurance does not pay. Go figure.

• Lily says:

Thank you so much, Still Standing, for your prompt and informative reply. I have been taking “colon health” probiotics and wonder if there is something better you would recommend. Thanks again

• Still standing says:

I take plexus, but I know someone who sells them. They have a high rating. One thing my integrative doctor told me to,do was probiotic loading to kind of jump start the process. You may ask a nutritionist or your doctor or even a pharmacist that understands probiotics. Whenever I have a surgery or under stress, I double or triple probiotic supplements. You can also eat yogurt, but dairy causes inflammation with me so I steer clear. If you can take dairy, add in some good quality greek yogurt. Look for ones with the least amount of sugar. chobani has one now that is sugar free, fat free. My integrative guy wants me to eat goat milk yogurt, but I havent found any in my part of the US. It isnt exactly the holistic eating capitol of the world. I bought a high powered probiotic at a holistic pharmacy once that was intended to be a probiotic load, so,I know there are some specific ones. Probiotics also help reduce acidity in our body. Web MD states that probiotics help allergies and asthma. Good luck finding some relief, Lily. Keep me posted.

• Lily says:

Thanks again, Still Standing. I appreciate your advice very much and will begin looking into your suggestions. Best of luck to you!

9. Crybaby says:

I am desparate. Had mesh surgery in 2013 to repair POP and urinary incontinence. Since then have had another surgery to removed mesh eroded into vagina. I am now facing another surgery to remove additional eroded mesh. I am at the end of my mental rope. I am in pain every single minute of every day. I can’t sleep due to pelvic burning and itching. I have tried everything I can but am beginning to doubt that there is help for me. I will absolutely watch my diet for offending inflammatory foods, but I don’t know how much longer I can live with pelvic pain. I am 65 and my constant discomfort has impacted every area of my life. I am looking for a doctor who will remove as much of the mesh as possible. I am so sorry for other women dealing with this issue. I have NEVER been a whiner, but cry all the time now.

Crybaby- I’m not a doc but trimming a mesh erosion likely will do nothing for your pain. Can you go to an expert? Where are you located? So sorry there are not as many docs to address complications as there were to put in this minimally invasive medical device. You need a workup by an expert… please respond.

• Crybaby says:

Thank you so much for your quick response! I live in the Atlanta area and everything I read says don’t let anyone remove just the eroded visible piece. Evidently it makes it that much harder to remove the whole thing later on. I have already been told by a local Doctor that I should just have surgery and have this second eroded area taken care of. But I couldn’t get them to tell me what keeps the mesh from continuing to erode. I am willing to travel to get the mesh removed, but don’t know who to go to. I am desperate – just like others who have experienced this pain.

Miklos and moore are in Atlanta so might be a good start for a consult….there are others but none quite so convenient.

• Crybaby says:

Thank you! I will see if I can get an appointment with Miklos and Moore. I really appreciate your help.

• Lily says:

Crybaby, If you can travel to UAB in Birmingham, I would highly recommend seeing Dr. Robert E. Varner at the Kirklin Clinic Continence Center. If you go to UAB Medicine webpage, look at Pelvic Floor and Urogynecologic Disorders and find more information about him. I think he is the best in the southeast, and worth a consult.

Thank you…. a few consults is a VERY good idea!!!

• Crybaby says:

Thank you, Lily! I will definitely look into UAB. I so appreciate your taking the time to send info. So very glad I joined this group!

• Lily says:

You are very welcome. I wish you all the best on this terribly difficult journey. I hope you get some relief soon!

• Bluewoobie says:

Oh Crybaby, I read your post and thought “that’s me you are writing about!” My story is identical! I am so very frustrated and so very weary of the pain and inflammatory issues. I fear I will NEVER be the mother, grandmother, friend, I used to be. I’m tired. I have seen an expert on mesh problems in Atlanta, but his practice only takes cash – no insurance. I cannot afford the $16,000 it woul take to remove the mesh. I don’t have any new advice for you, but just wanted you to know you are not alone.

Ask if you can receive some pro bono consideration, that is an adjustment to the cost of the surgery. It doesn’t hurt to ask and some professionals actually do that. It is a service they don’t advertise.

10. mary says:

After 5 surgeries i am still in pain from the mesh i need another app.with another urogyn.and it seems no doctor wants to see me i live in sc and it has to be in sc because i am on medicare and medicaid and they don’t let you go out of state i live in the spartanburg ,greenville area i had my surgeries in greenville i can’t go too far for i am by myself does anyone know of a great doc.close spartanburg don’t have a urogyn.and i am scared of greenville now after what i went through the doc. i go to give me the run around.i hurt a lot i don’t think a doc.wants to fool with you after that many surgerys it is scarey.