AMS Pelvic Mesh Lawsuits Settled and Dismissed by the Hundreds

AMS logoMesh Medical Device News Desk, June 9, 2016 ~ Six hundred pelvic mesh lawsuits dismissed in one work week.

Unlike the snails pace of federal pelvic mesh litigation, Mesh News Desk has learned that over the last work week, 673 product liability lawsuits concerning pelvic mesh made by American Medical Systems (AMS) have been settled and dismissed.

According to the language in the dismissal notices, the cases have been resolved or settled for an unknown amount, though women reporting to Mesh News Desk say their settlements range from $9,000 to approximately $200,000.

After legal fees of approximately 33.3% to 40% are subtracted, along with any loans, hospital, doctor bills, the settlement amount is reduced by about half.

Judge Joseph Goodwin

Judge Joseph Goodwin

Hundreds of cases have been dismissed by Judge Joseph Goodwin, overseeing multidistrict litigation (MDL) in Charleston, WV or by joint motion filed by plaintiff and defendant law firms.

“..they have compromised and settled all claims between them in these actions, including all counterclaims, cross-claims and third party claims.”

In some of the lawsuits, AMS is the only defendant in the listed actions. See # Doc 2359, June 2, 2016dismissing 42 cases.  Dismissing a case with prejudice means it cannot be refiled in the future.

In other cases where the woman received more than one pelvic mesh, the AMS claim will be removed from its docket but the action will remain active on the docket for Boston Scientific, Ethicon (Johnson & Johnson), or C.R. Bard, the other major mesh manufacturers.

See Doc # 2358, June 2, 2016, transferring cases overseen by Clark, Love and Hutson to Boston Scientific.

Since the first of May, there have been more than 50 other Petitions to dismiss, which presumably contain hundreds of other AMS lawsuits that have settled.

Endo logoAs of today, AMS is still listed as having 20,199 active cases on the docket in the MDL. The company never had a bellwether trial to test legal theories before settlement talks began.

Judge Goodwin encouraged other mesh makers to follow the lead of AMS settlements, but so far, none have done so.

AMS urology products was purchased in April 2011 by Endo International PLC, with headquarters in Dublin, Ireland.  Timing was everything.

The purchase occurred on the eve of a tsunami of pelvic mesh lawsuits. So many so that multidistrict litigation (MDL) to consolidate cases was formed in January 2012 and has swelled to 93,000 lawsuits filed against seven manufacturers, AMS among them.

AMS/ENDO SETTLEMENTS TO DATE

Monarc by AMS for SUI

Monarc by AMS for SUI

In April 2014, AMS/Endo agreed to an $830 million settlement fund to resolve about 20,000 claims.  One year earlier, AMS/Endo announced a $54.5 million settlement to resolve pelvic mesh lawsuits.

In September 2014, AMS/Endo announced a master settlement of $1.6 billion to resolve the lawsuits facing AMS.

At the time it was reported that Endo put AMS on the auction block.  Valued at $2 billion, Endo purchased AMS’s urology products for $2.9 billion in 2011.  See the story here.

In March 2015, Endo International announced it sold the urology division to Boston Scientific for up to $1.65 billion. The women’s health division was renamed as Astora Women’s Health device unit and put on the market but there were no buyers.

Astora Women’s Health was closed by Endo in March due to litigation costs. The Wall Street Journal reported on the closure here.

Astora Women’s Health announced as of March 31 it had suspended all commercial activity and is no longer making or distributing any women’s health products.

POP mesh, Elevate by AMS

POP mesh, Elevate by AMS

AMS made the Apogee and Perigee Systems, ElevateTM Anterior and Posterior Pelvic Floor Repair System and IntePro Y sling to treat pelvic organ prolapse. The MiniArc, RetroArc, Monarc, In-Fast, BioArc and SPARC slings all treat stress urinary incontinence.

Since it took Apogee off the market, AMS no longer has to conduct FDA mandated three years of post approval monitoring on those models of pelvic mesh products.  ###

1. Sue says:

Hello,
    Let’s get a Female Judge who has
    Mesh inside her. Then we will see some Justice!!!

Sue, the judge has no control whether or not a company makes a settlement. Judge Goodwin has urged other companies to follow the lead of AMS, but none have. AMS/Endo women’s urology division went out of business in the process. Many would consider that a fitting end for pelvic and hernia mesh makers.

• Bobbie says:

I agree.on the other hand.these judges well most of them must follow the facts..hope they listen to whst is fare to these women what they are asking more maybe judge will add on another punishment to these manufacturers.If there are true loving people that truely have no prejudice agaist women or men regards to this mesh.i see no reason for these manufacturers getting off…

• Anna says:

Explain to me a system who rewards those “exponentially more” to those who can afford or have insurance to have revision surgery-1+ (even to remove the AMS mesh???) Why…how has this AMS Matrix & Catagories is fair or justifiable? I was dropped by my insurance days after my POP surgery, lived/live in another level of hell since, declined settlement! My St. Louis, MO attorney tells me I was “the only 1” who did not settle-which btw I’d probably owe them after it’s all said & done! HELP
      bass718@gmail.com

That appears to be the way it is working. Women who didn’t have insurance coverage, or the assets to afford removal surgery, remain in a lower tier, as if they didn’t want the surgery. They may have wanted it but couldn’t afford it. They get less. Is that fair?

2. K says:

I bet if Judge Goodwin would allow more evidence regarding J&J distroying evidence ect I bet he could move them along. To much being withheld from the jury.

We’ve seen the the shorter trials tend to give a more favorable jury verdict to the plaintiff. There is SO much information for a jury to digest…. just give them the highlights and they quickly get it.

3. Sea says:

We need a woman JUDGE that has had a vaginal mesh implant …..with the same complications as we have ….

4. Karen A says:

We will never be whole

5. Brenda W says:

I have a sling AMC was the manufacturer . Hopefully will get settlement soon .

6. K White says:

what does this mean?

“In other cases where the woman received more than one pelvic mesh, the AMS claim will be removed from its docket but the action will remain active on the docket…(with other manufacturers, bard, etc)”.

I have AMS and Bard mesh implants. what does the above statement mean for women like me? more delays?

Once your AMS action is settled you are transferred to the Bard MDL. Your case still exists, assuming your lawyers are on top of it.

• phyllis says:

I had the sling, that broke only a couple of months having it, replace with mesh it fell and shortly after bladder fell out , the rectom fell. Talking about living hell that was ! went to urologist we tried Interstem planted in hip to control bowels and bladder. Some relieve ,if you don’t mind bladder hanging out of your body . I called it a “gremlin”. 5 surgeries within 2 yrs, finally urologist repaired everything through scope . its been 7 months . Found out all mesh that has been used is the wrong stuff 🙁 Ladies something needs to be done , so much suffering !

7. Debra says:

I had the mesh put in then had to have not one but two surgeries and suppose to have two more. But don’t want to go thru anymore. So I’m trying to deal with it. Pretty lonely and not fair losing out on intimacy with husband. As for the settlements lawyers end up with the majority of the money. It’s been long road and will continue to be a long road. Have to sleep with heating pad at night due to pain.

• Barb says:

Debra I understand and hear your pain. I have had a total of 5 surgeries 2 most invasive after the deadline. I’m 6 weeks pre-op……….Complete mesh removal and as I read the operative report I gasp with what the Dr. noted about the mesh!! So much had eroded into my uterous, much was just in pieces and it took her and another surgeon whom was in the OR since there were other procedures done they literally moved many things inside to get all mesh that was just not whole. I also found out for anyone who has AMS and has surgeries after the deadline (I had 2) when you send in the operative report make sure you write a letter of appeal and I was pretty upset to be told that if we are awarded money from the hold back fund the attorney’s will be taking another percentage and insurance paid along with other cost. So this means the total monies attorney’s make on our xtreme pain and suffering is 80%!!! That just doesn’t seem fair I can see paying back insurance however it was in our settlement package that we won’t be given much money for surgeries after the deadline!!! Has anyone else heard about this?? Is it true?? I was told this from the settlement council. And FYI it’s not just our attorney’s looking over our settlement packets it is also looked at by AMS, then to the Lien Resolution company. Once this first initial process is done and we either receive our settlement if we choose to go that way they have to get this done by December 1st 2016, according to the settlement Council. We will not receive any money from the hold back fund until sometime in 2017.

• Debra says:

We know that it’s the lawyers that end up majority of the money. It’s sad that the judges can’t fix it so lawyers have to take all the insurance and other fees out of their pockets. So it’s the lawyers who win. NOT US. I am still suffering and have to sleep with heating pad at night. Nobody seems to understand the pain. And it’s hard not being able to be intimate with my husband . He was already injured once and now is afraid of being hurt again. We understand our money to be sent by the end of November 2016. We wI’ll end up with less then half of the settlement. But what else can we do? Where are you in Maine? I lived there back in 84 til 88.

At the very least, your lawyers should be adjusting down any liens or monies owed.. AT the VERY LEAST considering the pitiful settlements. Lawyers who are reading this column – Stay with your clients! Continue to fight for them! They deserve it!!

• PJustwondering says:

Hi Jane, have you or anyone else heard how long it takes to get your funds from the holdback after everyone else has been paid including negotiated funds from subrogation?

There are groups of law firms that have arrived at settlement numbers. They will pay in groupings and hold back some amount, is my understanding. When they pay and how much is known only by those ho closely hold the secrets of the transaction. If you are desperate for the funds and are on the verge of losing your home, need immediate medical care or some other dire emergency, you need to let your law firm know ASAP and loudly so they do not hold back money routinely and with no particular reason.

• Debra says:

Thank you.

• Nameless says:

Dear Jane, your plea though well meant presumes any of them care about us. The doctors, the lawyers. My condition has gotten steadily worse over the past three years since implant number two. Multiple visits to the people who implanted have given me nothing but cold moronic deniel. No one really wants to hear about it.

Nameless- I always assume there are more people who care…. sometimes they are not in a position of power and can’t do anything. But I’ve heard from paralegals who DO CARE about you all…. they just are not authorized to do anymore.

• Nameless says:

Well, as I sit here completely incapacitated from being sliced open twice and plastic entombed within my pelvis in moderate pain that prevents me from doing anything worthwhile today. And I begin to arrange the third surgery to remove either my colon or open my ilium , I just can’t see it that way. Maybe you have to be in the body to reach this level of cynicism. There is plenty of good in the world and nice people. Will that make a difference to how l live when they are through with me next time? You are very fortunate to still own optimism.

• phyllis says:

I know how ya feel Debra. I pray I don’t have to have anymore , I hurt everyday I don’t want this inplant in my hip, its already been replaced once . I’m on my second it hurts seems like its coming to surface . very noticeable . God Bless all of us ! we deserve so much more than this, why does it have to take so long 🙁

8. Barb says:

I wanted to let you mesh family know I am 3 weeks post op for major surgery. I have never felt so much pain in my life however I know that I will never have to go under another surgery again. The wonderful surgeon I have did a full hysterectomy, repaired organ prolapse, was successful in removing both defective devices of mesh and performed he Birch Method! I have never had any incisions this big before 5 inches however it was needed to complete the mesh excision and birch. One thing I really am surprised that AMS has a hold back fund so if surgeries were after the deadline we can appeal from the hold back fund. This is my 2nd and last surgery I will ever need to do with the mesh!!! I hope if any of you want/need mesh removal keep looking. I had mine since 2008, yes it eroded, some was literally in pieces and it was a 3 hour and 43 min, so worth it!! I hope you all are doing the very best you can. I wish all manufacturer’s would have done what AMS did.

9. Regina s says:

I turned my settlement down from AMS this year I will go to trial .

• Ericka says:

How do you even go about finding a lawyer to start a case I hade AMS (monarc) removed April 5,2016 but still have arms

Ericka you might fill out this form. David Moyer has this form on page one. He knows which lawyers are still taking cases. Not all are.

• Barb says:

Erika, How long have you had your mesh?? Who’s the company?? I know many attorney’s aren’t taking cases however there are a few that are. May I ask why you wanted so long? If you find an attorney which I hope you do, make sure you get all the information pertaining to your mesh, implant date operative report, Dr.’s notes, any test. If left up to an attorney they will charge you for their obtaining the information and it takes so much longer, I obtained everything from implant date of 2008. Every time you go to a Dr. get the notes. What may I ask complications have you had?? You have come to the right place for as much support as we can give. Bless you and good luck.

• Bejah Blue says:

Good for you Regina. $9,000? Let’s see, you can pay for a modest funeral with that, you can pay for a a little commuter car or you can pay for one month at a lovely two bedroom apartment on a high floor in Oakland on the Bay with views of the City. I think I would go to court also. They think they have worn us down and we will now take just about anything. I think they are wrong. I think it is the opponent that is getting worn down. What say you good people?

Bejah

• Kitty says:

Bejah.. it’s good to see your posts again. I think of u with your exvellent rum and picking up stones on the beach. … We have been spinning the drain for a few years. Hand in there girlie.

10. Karen says:

The first call of business is the female judge that reduced the verdict that won for 100 million dollars. So that will never work . If the judges the corporations wanted to settle these cases then it would happen. The corporations and the judge don’t and can’t rat out on each other when they are all invested in vaginal mesh for over 20 years .
    Why would a judge complain about an issue , like how many cases their are in judge Goodwin courtroom when there nothing he can do , but keep his seat warm and do as he’s told . Most judges are not in control !!!! Don’t you found it funny that judge Goodwin never gave these cases back too there states ? If he is so busy then other judges in there states are also ! Remember the Ponzi scheme judge Goodwin started I’m going to have 36 women that was in my state go to trial together. That’s a funny joke that never went to trial and never will !! Sure lets see who much for that one will get pushed back !!!! Maybe a flood will start in Virginia and the court house will have to found another place to handle that case!! Maybe even a snow storm who knows . But I’ve figured out these trademark schemes!! Before any more women get a large settlement the corporations will continue to prolong until our attorneys give up and take pennies on the dollar or we drop dead !!! All these investors have too much to gain making very sure there money from vaginal mesh and all mesh products are well into the next mission against ever human being they can slaughter, butcher, poison,murder , for a profit .
    I do know this for every wrong you do to me and my brothers you will get your just do !!! The time has come for all wrongdoers to be defeated indefinitely !!!!BY THE WAY THESE ARE ALL SISTER COMPANIES TOO JOHNSON AND JOHNSON !!!!!
    GOOD LUCK !!!!!!

• Johnny says:

Yeah johnson and Johnson is so corrupt. Its truly a sad world. My mother lost her life. Cant every pick up her grandchildren. Thanks jandj. You truly destroyed a family

• Anna says:

I’d just written this on another site- pray it helps! Mine is w/ AMS too! My lawyer gets 40%-when I KNOW FOR A FACT she’s charged other 35/30%! Point blank asked her to honor what she’s given other clients (ESP considering my circumstances & she refused!) My POP surgery was done in ’05 w/ the bad AMS MESH- suffered w/ erosion & NC urologist who lied to me for yrs on end- until I saw “the commercial!” Finally went to hospital, got my records, sent law firm stickers that matched the bad mesh! It was just under the statute of limitations in NC-(11/2011) filed w/ a firm in St. Louis, MO- told only 1’s handling AMS cases?!? Waited 4yrs-she was as nice as my best friend in beginning- then NOT TOLD CRITICAL CASE INFO UNTIL THEY STARTED SETTLING! I went months after months without a word! When I was finally able to speak directly to my attorney, she’d say things like well you know about the Matrix, categories, this or that… AND I SAID NO-NO! I HAD NO PRIOR KNOWLEDGE of this info, time to research or digest it…it was too late! I was not given crucial advice, guidance or information along the way/on a consistent basis! I’d call always getting an assistance not my attorney (unless I dig in my heels!) 9 out 10 times-I was told “we don’t have any info yet,” or get the occasional sign this document- but nothing remotely close as to what I could have been doing, trying, ANYTHING TO strengthen MY CASE-sadly the truth wasn’t enough (& feeling my attorney deserves 10% if that-it’s MY LIFE that’s ruined!) I had no insurance after my surgery (dropped days after I had ’05 surgery,) still have no insurance, or the $$ lying around to pay for any revision surgeries (OR JUST TO FLAT OUT GET IT REMOVED DUE TO ALL HEALTH ISSUES I CONTINUE TO HAVE-NOT GOING TO EVEN GET INTO PAIN!) No money, no surgeries hurt me worse than anything! I was told FAR too late AMS came up w/ the most unjustifiable bogus Matrix/Category system -which ultimately decides your settlement is BASED on how many surgeries you’ve had since the initial! Meaning those who have the money and/or insurance are the one’s being compensated! The more surgeries, the more money they receive! WHY HASN’T ANYONE COME TOGETHER OR SPOKEN UP HOW INSANE THIS TRULY IS??? IS ANYONE FIGHTING THIS (tell me if so, please?!?)
        I had the initial surgeries in hopes of marrying again, having children, live as a normal woman….my life was ruined-11yrs of NO dating, in medical debt to my eyeballs, pain, real paralyzingly pain (1 Dr says Mesh, another says caused by other issues!) I was told I was “the ONLY 1” at MO law firm that DID NOT take the settlement (less than $6000-not counting taxes or other fees that will be taken!) IF I WERE TO TAKE THAT SETTLEMENT- IT RELEASES AMS FOREVER, more illness, they don’t even offer to pay to have the mesh removed-just free & clear! Like sorry about that, ruining your life, can’t get pain under control…just let us pay u a little money & go away!!!
        All these ad’s just lead you to another money hungry lawyer…there is NO RESOLVE!!! For a fairly educated person (unfortunately not in anything to with legal matters,) who has unfortunately learned the hardest way possible- I AM STUCK, HEARTBROKEN, & SEE NOTHING BUT DEAD ENDS!!! God help those who have had similar experiences!!!

I”ve heard this many times. People do not hear from their law firms ever… don’t even know if their case has been filed. Get a case number! Look it up!!! Any law firm that tells you you have a million dollar case, run for the door. No one can say that. Ever. I have no idea if reporting your law firm to the Bar Association of the state makes any difference. Has anyone done that? Did you get any response?

• Maria Garcia says:

Karen,

The 37 cases and the two waves of 200 are still a work in progress. My lawyer told me that the 37 cases mentioned will be this year and the two waves of 200 will be in 2017. They are in the deposition stage of the trials. The 37 like devices will be in Judge Goodwin’s court. The two waves of 200 will be in the City of which the plaintiff lives. That is not going to be handled by the same Ethicon lawyers we have seen in the MDL court rather many lawyers will have to be everywhere and it will be costly for Ethicon. It will light a fire under Johnson & Johnson which is the purpose of the waves. Judge Goodwin told J&J to take the Bellwether process serious in the status meetings and they have not. The Judge warned them and the result is remand of cases which takes time to prepare for trial. When the 37 cases end in favor of the plaintiffs the outcome may just shake J&J into reality and if not I am sure the first wave will. My lawyer also said there is a third wave as well but I can’t find anything about that.

• Still Standing says:

Marcia, are you in the wave workup? I was in a Wave 1. The unfortunate reality of having your case worked up for trial is that your case will incur thousands and thousands of dollars in individual case costs. Depositions from all treating physicians, even psychological counseling have to be done and all are very costly. My case costs for this work up were near $100,000, yes, one hundred thousand. This will be taken out of your take of the eventual trial judgement or settlement. So, if your lawfirm negotiates a settlement and you are grouped in a particular tier, those who were not worked up for trial who are in your tier will get far more money than you will if you are part of a wave. Not fair, no kidding. But that is how this works in reality.

Good point. thank you! I guess that doesnt just come out of your 40%?

• Still Standing says:

No, it does not come out of the attorney 40%. They get their straight 40% from the full award amount. . Then your 60% is left. Out of this comes your individual case costs, then the hold back for lein resolutions ( which is 25% of the TOTAL award, not 25% of your 60%, so if you are awarded $ 500,000, the attorney gets $200,000 up front. That leaves you $300,000, but
            $125,000 will be held back for hospital, doctor and other leins(if you took out a lawsuit loan, this would be taken out here). This leaves you with $175,000. If your case was worked up for trial and just assume it was $75,000 individual case cost and $5000 MDL shared cost, then that $80,000 is subtracted here. That leaves you with $95,000, which you should get soon after all or most of the law firms litigants sign their settlement papers. Your lawfirm negotiates with defendants what % of their clients have to agree to settle. If you have no leins or leins that dont equal the full 25% of the holdback $, then eventually you will get the remaining amount of money. Amazing to see how $500,000 disappears rather quickly. But, this is how it works.

• DEE DEE says:

Today,June 16,2016 .I had heard on world news or late night news that there was to be ficus sion in Washington on a number of health issues including the cases tied up on TVT,POP,
            But watching the news from 5-7 pm tonight I didn’t see anything on this,Did anyone. DO we need to print out the conversations we have had in our various organization sites for the Health DeptCongress The House and definitely a copy for Judge Godwin to read and understand that our complications are as real as his ribs in his chest.
            There is no faking that you can’t urinate without lasix and still need help of another medication to increase blood flod.That you have had so many urinary track infections the med is now an OTC mefication. That your blood work shows why level kidney failure your in,the your thyroid has now failed ,adrenal glands falied That you have S lupus dx at age 60 ,not as a kid or in your young adults years,the pain in your low back has caused you to go for surgery for that,
            Thst you have Good old Medicare so after a ten year search to find a qualified Dr he he dismisses me. You fall into such a state of depression,you can see Dr Raz in Feb 2017, if u live that long. FOR JUDGES AND MESH MANUFACTURES THAT HAVE DOUBTS THEY SHOULD READ THE PAIN AND SUFFERING WE LIVE WITH,LET ALONE THE LACK OF INTIMACY AND THE THOUGHTS OF SOMEONE HOLDING YOU AND LETTING YOU KNOW THEY CARE. THERE IS NOT ONE OF US I WOULD CARE TO SAY THAT FOR ALL THE, $ ANY Mesh company has if we could go back to the life we had before surgery was put into our bodies we would. But the remainder of our lives will be doctor appoitndnts,blood work . Having various things cut off or out of our vagina and intestines and lower bsck.Not being able to stand for an hour before pain starts running down on our legs
            I know for sure when I die ,I want obitaturary to read death by C .R. Bard.

• Still Standing says:

Karen, I do not believe that impuning the integrity of the judge is helpful. There is no evidence that this man is a puppet of the defendants. There are so many different variables that are part of this tort. one of the main things is the complexity of post mesh outcomes. Judge Goodwin didnt create this MDL. It is something that is decided by federal judges natiowide, supposedly to help litigants where there is going to be a great amount of costly pre trial discovery. Judges have to know the medical terms and the ones associated with these cases arent in a persons general vocabulary. I doubt that even most women knew some of the female body language before this happened. Goodwin cant make companies settle. This isnt a dictatorship. However, they do have control on what goes on in their court legally. That is his job, to protect the constitutional rights of everyone, not just the women, but the defendants as well. Generally, lawsuits that become part of an MDL are not intended to go to trial, or to be remanded back to the states; they are created to facilitate settlements. This one is not working in that way. I may be wrong, but I think that people who opt out of MDL settlements must wait to have their trial after the MDL is finished. Someone may have better knowledge of this. And while we are thinking this through, remember that insurance companies who carried the liability for these corporations are also part of the decisions that the defendants are making regarding settlements. We just need to stop sometimes and recognize how vast and complex the mesh MDLs are. I cant even begin to understand all that goes on. That is why we have legal counsel. Im sure some are a bit shady, but I believe that most are hard working and dedicated to getting fair outcomes for their clients.

Having seen Judge Goodwin in the courtroom multiple times, I believe he understands you are suffering and is doing the best he can, given the system. Never before has there been an MDL of this magnitude!

11. Samuel says:

My wife suffered for years, got her mesh partially removed only to cause her more pain. She got very depressed
    and I Lost her at the age of 59. J&J can go to HELL>

• Still Standing says:

Samuel, Im so sorry your wife died. What a heartache for you and your family. Please accept my sympathy. She was way to young to die. Hopefully, you will get some justice with financial compensation although nothing can erase the pain she and you have endured.

12. jan says:

I know Judge Goodwin is trying hard to get this taken care of..
    But I pray that it would go faster for us.. I am so tired of living off the streets and not having my own place again. .
    This is so stressful and it’s very hard

13. Lily says:

So Erin Andrews gets 51 million because her privacy was invaded, Hulk Hogan just got 140 million because his porn was shared. Our bodies are scarred and contaminated, our lives and relationships are forever changed, some ruined, some ended. I just don’t get it. These drug companies have annual profits in the billions. Maybe we need a celebrity with mesh damage? It sadly seems that they are the only ones with a voice the courts hear.

14. charrie says:

Charrie pie that was my Nick name I’m nothing now. What is a woman’s life worth Boston scientific stole my life 2 surgeries chronic pain No Sex since 2010 I just sit here in my camper now because I sold my house to pay for first the second one I had do chapter 13 … What if we made a device that made there penis fall off… Sorry it was just mistake. But we will get to you in about 5 or 6 years you think you can do without that penis for a while… I know its going to hurt but are just going to have to keep your head up OK .. I just want not hurt 1 day that’s all .

15. Nameless says:

Thank you Charrie. That’s a very astute equivalent. I certainly miss my little girl down there. Can’t tell you how many men I’ve spoken to who only react when they hear that mesh sometimes hurts the male organ when doing you know! OMG they look like they want to puke at the thought of penetrating a woman and having their little Louie injured.

16. embarressed says:

I’m a widow but do have a boyfriend. Before having my mesh removed It broke through and cut my friend. It’s painful to have sex so we don’t. Thanks J & J.

17. Maria Garcia says:

I don’t know what to do. I have been offered a settlement. I am not happy with it. Lawyer is advising I take it. My mesh was removed two years ago. I started having bad pain again after a year. I just found out I still have mesh residue. The pain is so bad I cry myself to sleep. Withholding sex from my husband because of the pain. I know if this continues it will break us appart. What should I do? It looks like I will have to have another surgery and continue with pelvic therapy:(

What type of mesh do you have, which manufacturer?

• Maria says:

Jane,

AMS is the company. I never found out what type of mesh I had:(

It is important for everyone to have all of their medical records, nurses notes, doctor notes, surgical notes, insurance notes. it will tell the next doc what sort of procedure was done and it will tell you what type of mesh you have. It has to be somewhere. Isn’t your law firm helping you with that information? Anything submitted to insurance should give that specific information. Insurance likes to know what it is paying for.

• Nameless says:

I keep trying to think of something to say that will help. I keep coming back to hearing how much pain you are in. Then I hear you say you are withholding sex from your husband. So very hard on yourself. Withholding is such a harsh word to use when you are hurting so badly. It’s the pain that’s keeping you from sexual intimacy. You sound very much as though you would like to participate with him in mutual loving intimacy. If you could see yourself as a loving partner who is in pain rather than “withholding something” from him, I think the pressure or guilt will ease up a little. Unless he is telling you that you are withholding intimacy, you have the power to turn some of your pain down by not blaming yourself for this awful and real pain that you have in your body. It’s impossible for the readers of this blog to really know the underlying details of your relationship pain. It is possible though to offer you the thought that you are not withholding but are suffering. I hope this makes some sense. It’s out of context with your real life and I’m concerned to say the wrong thing or wrong meaning. It’s just difficult to read that you are accussing yourself when in fact you are in so much pain. I can’t have sex either and I feel like I’ve lost a piece of my most important self. This is very difficult. Especially, when we are supposed to not mention that we actually want, need and like it. I try to remember in my mind being held closely and loved. And have sex also. It’s makes me very sad not to be able to be Intimate. I hope you are able to see the difference between “withholding” and “not able”. One says you are guilty, the other, you just can’t. Not that can’t is so great either. It’s just not blaming you and me. Be well.

• Maria says:

Nameless,

Thank you for your words. It is hard to find the words to explain the pain. I know it’s not my fault:( For some time I was told my pain was in my head, or that they did not know what could be causing it if it truly was there. I am frustrated because of our mobile lifestyle and medical care. I am a military wife and we have move more then normal these past years since I had my sling placed. So getting continual care is not easy:( Getting ready to move again:( I appreciate your words. I pray you find relief. I have a question. Do you have sadle or sit pain (from front of lower pelves to the buttocks)? Thanks again.

• Nameless says:

I have chronic intense pain in my sacrum lower spine upper rectum that makes me disabled most of the day. Any bowel material on its route outward increases the pain. It feels like a nail being driven into my upper rectum or lower spine. If I ignore it and try to live my life over time my whole body goes into an arthritic flare that knocks me off my feet for two or more days.

18. Karen A says:

I was dropped by Doug Kr and I am fighting mine with a close friend, I do not have intimacy… My x and I got a divorce because of this… I can not function sexually and the constant pelvi pain is killing me…. Bowel movements and urination is extremely unbearable… I life as we know it is a constant nightmare of chronic pain..

19. Hani says:

My wife had a mini arc sling put in in 2011. She is suffering with multiple infections a year, severe leakage when doing any kind of activity and during intercourse, pain during intercourse, and her bladder is not emptying. Ams offered us $9,000 which I declined but I am not sure what to do next. Her doctor recommended the removal of the sling but she does want to go through more pain. I don’t want to see her situation get worse but doing the removal surgery especially after reading all the comments online. I feel for all the women out there that are going through the same thing.

If you do opt for a consultation for a removal, please make sure you are going to someone who has a reputation for doing as close to a complete removal as possible. The partial removals have their own set of problems and most docs can only do a partial. Even the experts have trouble removing ALL of the mesh,,, it is a very difficult operation. But if you start with those with the most experience, you have a better chance of success, is my opinion.

20. cherrie g says:

I have had a bladder sling since 2012 mini arc. I had 2 surgery so far last one 22 of july 2016. some problem solved like puss pockets about 4 or 5 down there. not able to use my bowels for 3 to 5 day. constantly on laxatives. but still having pain there and the lower back pain may never be fixed because of nerve damage. I have a wonderful Dr. Shoemaker in fl. She has been compassionate and caring compared to some Dr I have seen. Have been accused of being addicted to laxative. she said the damage was major and it will take me awhile to heal. Just needed to air ty for having a place to do it.

21. jane says:

My lawyer just informed me All AMS cases were put on an inactive docket awaiting dismissal. What does this mean? (my case shows closed 8/16/16 on the mdl page)

22. Rita says:

I got a letter a couple of weeks ago that AMS was in the process of checking f r lien ,ETC…….they have 1000 to go through…..Rita

23. Rita B says:

Please, let this be over soon. Going yo New Dr. We’d. have had 2 surgeries, the Dr. Said I would never get all of mesh out….she cut out mesh protruding
    Out of vagina….. pain, infections change cloths at least 2 time daily, can’t make it to bathroom…….afraid to go out!!

24. Patricia says:

In the settlements of the American Medical Systems, I wonder if the “thresholds” were met? My attorney said they would only know when funds are released..which should be in end of June 2017-mid July 2017. How could an attorney not be able to find this out?

Not officially but I think those thresholds were a bit wiggly,,, in other words, they moved downward, but that is just speculation….

25. Deborah Mac says:

I just want to say how much I appreciate finding this site and knowing I am not alone in my fight against the mesh companies for what they have done to my body and health. I am so very sorry to hear or read about all the horrible things that have happened to each and every one of you. My heart breaks for you all. We have to try and stay strong together now as a unit. The product that was implanted in me was an AMS product implanted for my bladder at same time as my transvag hysterectomy. I can’t really say too much yet I don’t think because I am still waiting for them to settle the class action case. I am in Canada. Has anyone heard of AMS is settling any Class Action Cases in Canada now? I am with Rochon Genova. I have waited years.,… It has taken so long.

26. Christine says:

So sad to read some of these accounts. Does anyone have recent news on the hold back distribution?