$1.6 Billion Master Settlement Reached to Resolve AMS Pelvic Mesh Claims

endo logo 350Mesh Medical Device News Desk, September 30, 2014 ~ This afternoon Endo International announced a master settlement has been reached that will resolve the lawsuits facing the vaginal mesh maker and its subsidiary AMS (American Medical Systems).

The press release says the settlement in no way admits any liability or fault. In its most recent SEC report from July, AMS tells shareholders it is facing 25,000 defective mesh cases.

Endo CEO,  Rajiv De Silva announced “We are very pleased to resolve substantially all of the remaining U.S. vaginal mesh litigation claims facing our AMS business.”   The settlement will allow AMS to continue to grow and focus on its medical device division, he says in the news release here.

Initially the company estimated a pre-tax product liability reserve of about $1.2 billion but settling the additional cases, both present and in the future, increased the settlement amount to approximately $1.6 billion. Payments will be settled during this year and through 2017.   So far Endo/AMS has paid out about $200 million in settlement claims.

Back in May the company announced it would pay out about $830 million to resolve 20,000 pelvic mesh lawsuits.

The Wall Street Journal reported last month that Endo has put AMS on the auction block even though it delivers 19 percent of Endo’s revenue. The company is valued at about $2 billion today. Three years ago Endo purchased AMS for $2.9 billion.

Endo’s top priority is the safety and efficacy of its subsidiaries’ products and supporting the patients and physicians who use them, says the company.  Endo continues to support the FDA’s recommendations that physicians be well trained and patients fully understand the risks associated with the use of mesh products.

AMS logo

The company says in its news release it remains committed to the safety and efficacy of AMS transvaginal mesh and plans to continue growing the women’s health division “so that women have appropriate access to innovative, safe and effective therapies.”

AMS is headquartered in Minnetonka, Minnesota. Endo International is based in Dublin, Ireland with U.S. headquarters in Malvern, PA.

Endo/AMS products include:

ElevateTM Anterior and Posterior Pelvic Floor Repair System. Our AMS segment offers the Elevate® transvaginal pelvic floor repair system, for the treatment of pelvic organ prolapse, which may be caused by pregnancy, labor, and childbirth. Using an anatomically designed needle and self-fixating tips, Elevate® allows for safe, simple and precise mesh placement through a single vaginal incision, avoiding an external incision. Elevate® revenue accounted for approximately 1% of our total revenues in both 2013 and 2012.

Monarc® Subfascial Hammock. The Monarc® subfascial hammock is our leading device to treat female stress urinary incontinence, which generally results from a weakening of the tissue surrounding the bladder and urethra which can be a result of pregnancy, childbirth and aging. It incorporates unique helical needles to place a self-fixating, sub-fascial hammock through the obturator foramin. Monarc® revenue accounted for approximately 1% of our total revenues in both 2013 and 2012.

In January, 2012, the Food and Drug Administration ordered AMS to conduct post-approval studies on women who had received the pelvic organ prolapse and mini-sling implants to monitor them for complications. AMS received 19 orders but has honed that down to sixteen “for various commercial reasons” says its filing.

Apogee Mesh

Apogee Mesh

AMS took its Apogee and Perigee pelvic organ transvaginal mesh (TVM) off the market and in doing so it relieved them of the FDA mandated post-market monitoring. #

1. Where in the world is former AMS CEO Doug Kohrs? Follow the money! He was CEO of Tornier when my brother was harmed by a FAILED elbow implant that needed revision after just 4 months.

2. stopmeshimplants says:

Trying to understand what this means for most of us who have been traumatized by these products. This has been said over and over again, “no amount of money can give us what we have lost for our entire lifetime. or to compensate us for the ongoing pain we endure every single day.” That is the sad truth in all of this and that mesh products remain on the market to harm more men and women. I had a colleague tell me yesterday her friend mentioned she was considering getting a mesh implant to help with some bladder issues. My colleague said she quickly warned her by to ask more questions and suggested she learn as much as she can about the possible complications. The friend was referred to this website. How many more people will be harmed by mesh products?

3. Paula says:

So that’s 64,000 a person… are you kidding me…that’s total BULL!@#$%$^***((. For the HELL I and my family have been through and continue to go through and will the rest of my life, Which has been totally destroyed by the MESH implant.

• msm says:

Nope, that just reflects the increase in number of lawsuits.

• Hope Pagano says:

I agree with Paula. Who determined a womans life is worth apx $64,000. That is bull s**t.

• Angela says:

I’ve had 3 surgeries with the mesh, yet pieces still remain. The most humiliating thing for me was total loss of the muscles we use to urinate. They offered me 41K. By time they take there fee 40%, then another 5% for court fees, paying the medical bills, I will be left with hardly anything. It’s not fair:( I have ruined carpet and a California king bed. But more than anything the doctors were horrible! Including one who wanted to remind me that to get to it he had to use his arm up to the elbow to get it out. My question to him will be how did u get the mesh in? I guess the same way as you are getting it out. I am appealing my case. Hopefully more people do so that way we can protest these small amounts that they are trying to get us to take!

• TCAJPBM says:

I read it’s more like 48,000. But, each case is determined on an individual basis because it’s not a “class action ” lawsuit. No amount of money can satisfy me. I’ve been destroyed by this. And, insult to injury. It’s been hell getting a doctor to treat me once my Gyn told all of my referring doctors that I’m involved in a product liability suit. He never released my medical records. What a piece of work. I’d like to see him function day to day with stabbing pain every time I sit in a hard chair or move the wrong way or try to have sex with my poor husband. This product is an atrocity to women’s health. I am going in for injections to see if it will quell some of the chronic pain. And, they ask, have you considered having it removed? Are you kidding? I was left with no feeling in my bladder, chronic urethral stinging and pelvic pain. I am terrified to allow anyone else in there to try to get it out. Ugh, crying again. Story of my effing life. Thank you American Medical System and Dr R for ruining my life

• Catsrfun says:

A lousy 64,000!! I have been through PURE HELL for 5 YEARS with AMS Mesh That measly 64,000 is NOTHING!!!!

• cynthia zimmerman says:

Ladies, they got us by the little hairs. The judge doesn’t want the drug companies to suffer financially. And i read that the attorneys can stop representing you if you turn dow a settlement offer. I can’t believe the US federal bar association lets people be treated this way. This is our LIVES our bodies. Even the woman that won a jury trial, the court sytem is choping the amount in half./ face it we are in for hard times the rest of our lives. And because of painful sex., we’ll see be alone.

• Donelle says:

I had mesh pop surgery and had numerous problems including erosion. I recently had removal and they classified me as level 4 (highest damages) and offered me $115,000 before liens and attorney fees. They figure 25% of it will go to liens and my attorney gets 1/3 so I will only get around $46,000. That is ridiculous and humiliating that they offered so little. Hu husband sued also for injury to him and our relationship. Should I fight on?

Please standby for a story about to be published. Do you have pudebdal nerve damage?

• Melissa says:

OMG! So AMS used us a testing the device and now it didn’t work so here are pennies. That’s your fault on letting us use you to test the device. I guess this company is the cheapest in paying out. All others have awarded over a million to the highest damaged and second highest damaged( additional devices.) This company should award these two over a million.

• Melissa says:

I totally agree Paula. My life is gone. And they expect medicaid to come in and take over their mess.

• Wendy says:

I’ve been so depressed due to all of this I had surgery but I’ve lost not just me me feeling like a woman I lost so many things because of this mess all I do is cry cry I have my days where I can get up and take care of things I’m so depressed and people say it will let me put you on the pill no because the problem is still going to be there I’m just going to be medically not crying Maybe I believe if we have to settle with $64,000 that we don’t have to pay the lawyer the 64000 should be take home right now that would even help me out because due to the mesh in my insides being messed up the person that I was with for 18 years because it was so painful for sex he loves me he does evil evil things to me because of it $64,000 will help me get away from him where I don’t have to beg him for help and I could at least buy me a little piece of property and put some kind of Little House on it I lost my happy a long time ago when I smiled and laughed all the time I don’t smile anymore and I very rarely laugh that world that I enjoyed I don’t enjoy it anymore I feel like I was a guinea pig 4 Boston Scientific I believe in God and I believe that Boston Scientific will have to answer to him I never thought in a million years that would be sad as I am I would have rather wet myself then this mesh even though it’s out now I still wet myself I hope they settle the case is soon because my depression is just so deep and I’m trying to hold my head up through all of this God bless you guys and happy 4th

• Jill Funk says:

Wendy, you completely said everything I have been going through! Except that I have a connective Tissue Disease that seems to be related to this mesh! I don’t think I can hold on anymore. The anchors where they anchored my mesh into my hip bone just KILL ME! I CAN’T EVEN FRICKING WALK ANYMORE WITHOUT A CANE! I have gotten worse this winter and I think that I might have to use a walker. I used to jog up until November 2011 I had my surgery to implant in June 2010 woke up in excruciating pain! Then pushed my self to keep jogging but couldn’t handle it anymore. My orthopedic surgeon says that I need a new hip on my left side.I never ever had these hip or pain or connective Tissue Disease problems Ever Before mesh.

4. msm says:

” […] Food and Drug Administration ordered AMS to conduct post-approval studies on women who had received the pelvic organ prolapse and mini-sling implants to monitor them for complications.”

The key word is “had”. This not what AMS is doing. It is only studying patients newly implanted. They are not studying those already implanted for complications from the mesh products already implanted.

AMS announced in June that the first patient had been enrolled in its Embrace study, which will involve the AMS Atypical Prolapse Repair System and the Elevate Anterior. The study for the Elevate Posterior is called Harmony. Each study is enrolling 494 new victims over the next two years.

I interpret this to mean that they have written off all current recipients of their products, wiping their slate clean and starting over. The FDA is allowing the new mesh products to be used on human subjects without prior testing on non-humans. How is that right? There are no “do-overs” or “mulligans” when lives have been ruined and there will be more in the future from the mesh already implanted.

I’m glad they had to “up the ante”, but that’s only because the numbers of lawsuits increased and does not mean any increase in individual settlement amounts.

5. msm says:

Also, let’s remember that the $1.6 billion is pre-tax product liability reserve set aside. It in no way means that amount will be paid out. According to documents from Motley Rice referenced in an early article on MDND, plaintiffs have to meet certain criteria to determine their settlement amount. Endo could end up paying out significantly less. The first settlement announced last Spring only involved cases represented by three law firms. Cases represented by other firms were not included. So, the additional amount could be for the purpose of settling cases represented by those firms. Ultimately, I anticipate that all the AMS lawsuits will be subject to the same criteria and settlement regardless of firm. Both sides look for the path of least resistance and least time and manpower required so they will probably all use the same agencies to research each case and handle subrogation as well as the same “Special Master” to oversee the final determination and handle appeals.

• msm says:

Forgot to mention that this amount includes estimated amounts for future cases as well as the current cases.

True— leaving the door open to HOW MANY cases?? Is it never ending. if the company is worth $2 billion and they are offering $1.6…. aren’t the resources dried up? How about ENDO bellying up make up the ongoing future needs of the mesh injured community?

• Kay says:

Would you know how I can find out who the major law firms are in this? I have gotten deeper and deeper into the search engines and have come up with a lot of information, but can’t find specific settlement information. I didn’t have the mesh implanted until the middle of 2013, and had surgery just over a week ago to have it removed. I’m still suffering.

Go to the southern district off West Virginia. There on page one you will see the MDL = multidistrict litigation. Click on each manufacturer and there is a list in small print of the firms involved in the executive committees. Hope that helps.

6. charles says:

Msm, i am continuosly confused about the need to meet the criteria for settlement. Whart, where, when, ? For example. Does that mean if there are 30k suits against j and j and 20k dont meet criteria then only 10k get a settlemnt and that settlement is spread over 5 tiers? Are the cases that dont meet criteriaa dismiss4d? Do the attorneys eat the cost? I dont expect you to be able to answer these questions but am interted in your opinion. Thanks

• msm says:

You really need to read the article Jane Akre wrote on this site under “Legal News” about the Endo settlement last April. It has the links to the Motley Rice site that has the “matrix” and the general agreement. The pre-trial orders on the MDL 2325 page of the West Virginia Federal Court site since April 2014 describe some of the procedures and how things will work. From reading those orders, it is my understanding or mis-understanding that each of the firms participating in the settlement have to present documents to support each plaintiffs claim/status/injury/level before any money goes anywhere. No records to support their claim – no settlement. There is a “Special Master” who has been appointed by the court to oversee everything and resolve any disputes or appeals. All of this is in the pre-trial orders. I would think it unusual for the case to have ever been opened if there was no evidence to support a claim. The tier assigned will probably be the most disputed factor. Not all doctors document well. Too bad for the plaintiff who has the misfortune of having a slacker for a doc.

Perhaps send a certified letter to your law firm telling them exactly your injuries as outlined in your medical records lest they forget!!!

• charles says:

Im not so certain msm. I have feeling these attornyes have just loaded anything and everything into these mdls and many cases have nothing to support settlement. Just throwing a whole lot of mess on the wall to see what will stick

• msm says:

You’re probably right, Charles. Each firm will want to grab as much as they can. It will be interesting to see how much the defense’s research will accept and reject. But, I guess we’ll never really know.

7. Kitty says:

I am confused. Didn’t they offer 830million for 20K? Is this an additional 1.6 Billion dollars?

• msm says:

They just added $400 million because more firms agreed to settle and there have been more cases filed since the previous agreement.

• Kitty says:

OK msm thanks for the clarification

• SARA says:

I was offered $200.00 for 2 revisions, but I had 3 revisions, permanent damage to my bladders ability to contract. I had several surgeries placing a temp Sacral spinal nerve stimulator. The first trial they leave the would open. I felt great for a week than infection at the cervical site. It was removed under emergency surgery. I had a bunch of mesh turned into like plastic razer blades and it was tearing my vaginas and urethra in two with a jagged sawing like pattern. The day arrived fir that revision, then they realized the first payment of the SS nerve stimulator was had deep infection. The took me back to the OR at midnight to deride the infectious wound. Not counting I retained the mesh from the second revision. The finding of a tumor (hemorrhaging granular with the eroding mesh in my bladder. Now I’ve an enlarged ovary with mesh and cysts. My ovarian 125 is climbing. My attorneys have not paid me. They refused to read my medical records and only counted 2 revisions. Now after verbally and emotionally abuse of me they dug up old debts and tried to pay them. It states clearly from the attorney I had to retain they could not charge me for doing these awful things. Again promised my funds by December not past 2017. Idk what they will try to take, oh that (5%) withheld for future funds, it’s not for others suffering, get this… It is for the attorneys that didn’t get paid!!! Any ideas as to my recourse of their abusive treatment done out of pure malice? Did they dig through your finances, and try to pay old debts? If so let’s unite and reopen the case, they say it’s closed, it’s not closed for several years, attorneys lie.

My understanding is unless there is a lien against you, you do not have to pay old debts,,,they are retired. Is you offer $200 or 200-thousand. It’s not clear. You have received nothing! I will write you.

8. Karen says:

Just waiting to look at this site one day and see that not just one but all of these law suits are going to end the same way. What would happens if lets say 90 percent just say NO. What happened to a right to a fair trial? Just out right hurt people so badly and walk free? Hell I know some people that have been in fender benders and walk away with much more. Makes me sick.

9. Karen says:

Another thought. If someone is now having to be on Medicaid because they can not work anymore due to a mesh injury. It is my understanding that anyone receiving medical help from Medicaid can not have more then $2,000 or receive any amount of funds over that or you will be dropped. Also for anyone needing future surgery will medicare or Medicaid refuse future help with it known that the injury was caused my a product? Knowing I need more surgery but waiting to recover from my last one, what I would be facing.Just something else to worry about.

The very questions that need to be addressed with a fund set up by congress for present and future injuries. The cleanup crew for corporate misdeeds. Doesn’t that make anyone mad?

• Karen says:

It sure does Jane. Has my blood boiling. Like most of us, its so hard dealing with today let alone knowing that we are facing so much tomorrow and down the road with out anyone helping us with so many unanswered questions. None of this is easy and if we could just have our legal team listen and hear all of these concerns they might get it. Sadly we have become a number.

• Michelle Mcmanus says:

Just remember that 40% plus costs to lawyer and then the fees to Virginia so almost 50% and then there is the 25% to medical insurance so let’s say $177,000. About $52,000. 52 thousand dollars walk away . No matter how you slice it 75% is out the door. You get 25% and threats to take this deal but if you have to have another surgery that would hardly pay for it and the pain and suffering 0

• armi says:

OMG, I HAVE MESSED UP THE LAWYER TOLD ME 20,OOO DOLLARS AND THEY GET 40%. RUSHED ME INTO SIGNING PAPERS RELEASE PAPERS THAT IS, NOW IT5S BEEN OVER 3 MONTHS AND NO FUNDS. WHEN YOU HAVE LAWYERS YOU TRUTH THEM TO GET THE BEST FOR YOU. ITS WRONG WE ALL SHOULD GET FAIR SHARES. I DON’t know what to do now.

Rushing you is never a good idea…… You deserve to take time to ask questions and get answers. Have you signed your final agreement?

• Amy says:

Are you ready for this! I went from one attny firm. Now they have sent me forms to sign that will give 100 percent of my settlement to four attorneys! One 50 percent 2@ 5 percent and one at 40 percent. What the h … Is that?

What? id love to see that….

• Kitty says:

These are the death panels that have been talked about by Sarah Palin.

• Carly says:

Karen- that does not apply to SSDI but it does apply to SSI.

• armi says:

I was told by their adviser social security will give me a few months to spend my funds then I can keep my Medicaid. I am ready to make some noise. told a damn lie they will call me when money is sent, that’s thousands of calls, bulls***.

• Sylvia A says:

If you’re on Medicaid and you so choose to seek legal help which I can’t imagine there isn’t some medical malpractice lawyer that is close by waiting for your call. Just a little advice pick an attorney that is going to be nice to you all the way to the end. You want someone that won’t cower down to those who don’t want to pay as they so do. Believe me you need experienced with this mesh… your concern of having more than 2k b/c of Medicaid.This is where you need a special SS attorney to set up your amt after Medicaid takes out 2k and the special attorney you’ll need will charge around 5k to set up special needs trust funds….where your attorney (trustee) will give you money under the special guidelines set forth by trustee. So yes you can have money but never in your hand search like if you want to buy a car a check will be written to pay entire amt of car. If you do this quickly if something GOD forbid that car would go to a family member. Waiting after 30 days all things like that go to the state. Check into this. Your attorney will have to know at some point you’re getting money.oh I agree the amt is a big slap in FACE. I wonder if all women in this experiment are state aid ppl?

10. Kim says:

How does a “master settlement” differ from other settlements?

• msm says:

The master settlement agreement is the document that outlines the “rules” that the plaintiffs’ attorneys and the defense attorneys have agreed to covering all of the cases participating or expected to participate in a settlement. It’s a “secret” document that will eventually become a record available from the SEC. Here’s a link to the one from june 2013 for Endo .

Plaintiff’s who choose to accept a settlement will receive an agreement that basically consists of dollar amount and confidentiality agreement that if you ever breathe a word about it, they have the right to take it back.

11. Jane R. says:

Let’s see…

$64,000 award. Attorney gets a share of this no?

And you will loose Medicaid and medical coverage if you are on it yes?

I’m lucky to have medical but by copays are close to $4,000 for the year so far.

So my husband and I just cover the basics of living. No frills, clothes, shoes, etc.

Living from his paycheck to paycheck. I’ve tried to freelance but somedays

I can’t even move. Much less commit to a work schedule.

I was making $54,000 a year in wages. I haven’t worked full time in 3 years.

Trying to get Social Security Disability but doctors don’t want to get involved by saying

I have complications from the mesh sling.

Will 64,000 cover me for the next 10-20, 30 years?

12. All Meshed Up says:

If this is going to be anything like what the Hernia mesh victims have gone through ( and continue to do so ) you ladies are not going to be happy with these supposed settlements. As I have said before, the only people making money here are the Doctors, Lawyers and the Manufacturer. Your life’s worth is not a consideration with these settlements. What is considered is how low can they go with these payouts and making sure the Lawyers are able to pay for their beach house. $60,000 is 10 times more than they offered Kugel Hernia Mesh survivors. Also, figure the math on 20,000 women offered $40,000 each from an $830,000,000 settlement. Where did the rest of the money go? It is a scam. Our injuries, our lives are worth nothing to the Doctors, Lawyers and Manufacturers that continue on their merry lives as the continue to implant more mesh products.

And the FDA? Another huge amount is again offered to compensate mesh victims but the FDA is silent about it. If they were concerned about mesh injuries, they would be all over this. But they are not. Status Quo, Status Quo……..

• msm says:

I don’t recall the exact number of cases listed for MDL 2325 but I’m thinking it was over 23,000. In just the past few weeks, it has dropped to 19,141. That gives you an idea of how many have already settled from the MDL. It does not reflect the cases in the state courts.

• msm says:

I will never understand how the treatment of those of you injury by mesh used for hernia repair. There is no true justification. That’s for sure.

13. Laura says:

I say a march on Washington!!! Maybe then someone will listen!!

• Kitty says:

Yes======We can meet at the National Mall. Pick a date and see who shows up. Most of us cant walk too well—so we would have to bring crutches or wheel chairs or canes Please advise

14. Sandy says:

This does not include every mesh victum this is only the majorly big firms with many many victums per my attorney. I am like Janr R haven’t worked in a long time, barley enough money for food these days. I will go to court if I have to. They took everything in my life. I am just a shell that breaths now.

15. Chris says:

Hello, I too am a victim and part of this mess. I have bladder sling, and mesh for prolapse (front and back), this was done in 2009. Had major erosion (back) and had mesh repair surgery March 2013. Mesh keeps coming thru my tissue so I have minor procedures in doctors office to cut out mesh that they can see. My question is, once this is all settled and 2 years from now something happens to my bladder mesh….then what?

I also would like to say that I am so sorry to hear about how bad most of you are feeling, and how you can work. Especially to Sandy—-It broke my heart to ready your very last comment–I am just a shell that breathes now. Wow!!!! I am sooooooo sorry and my heart hurts for you. I will keep you in my prayers.

I have a call into my attorney about some of this, and will update you when I hear back from them.

16. Aaron Leigh says:

46,000 per patient seems like a very low number in comparison to the leading award in the Salazar v. Boston Scientific case of $73M, but the worst of the legal issue is that patients are literally worrying about food and medications daily while they wait for decent financial compensation.

17. Kim says:

Why is my previous comment still awaiting moderation??

Because I was in Tallahassee and my dogs (editorial assistants) are not good at the computer!! Attempt at humor!!

18. kristine says:

This makes me sad. My suffering is endless.

19. Sandy says:

And always will be there is no 100% cure of the pain we live every day and will live with the rest of our lives

20. Jan Urban says:

Well, We must start and keep writing and calling our Congressmen and Senators. It amazes me all the hearings lately are being heard so quickly all pertaining to recent outbreaks of one thing or another. Here we are suffering for 8 years or more and nothing. I say no more silence. Call and write today, tomorrow, the next day and the day after….keep it going…short for an example: I am a Mesh Survivor since December of 2011. Please help me expose the wrong doings of the Pharmaceutical Companies that manufacture and market untested Mesh Medical Devices World wide, causing severe, painful, debilitating health issues. This could happen to one or more of the women in you life. NO MORE MESH. As for the topic of settlements. Our Lawyers are just sitting back waiting, these mass law suits. I’m not sure if I like them at least in these cases. My fellow mesh survivors have lost and suffered and a few dollars that they (Lawyers) delve out after their 40%. I just am not sure. Our injuries effect our whole body and with the lack of medical care from the onset it will never end. You can’t even invest this last amount. They got nothing.

• diva648 says:

My Apologies this tablet comes and goes. I was trying to ask if anyone knew if it it is true that after a settlement is reached does it really take about a year before any of they settlement reaches your hands ?

21. Anna Cantu says:

My question is: Will you settle? Will you allow the lawyers to get their 40% of your meager payout which multiplied by tens of thousands means millions for their firms. I get so ticked off when I hear the commercials about the 830 million payout! Lawyers are trying to bring everyone out of the woodwork for their cut which means less for those truly affected. It is so misleading g to the public who thinks we are all getting rich and makes the doctors think we are going to them for a payday. I have suffered for almost a decade now. I have complained of pain from early on long before I even knew what was wrong, I will not settle for 64 or whatever the meager amount is now. That is a slap in my face to say my quality of life is not worth improving on and without proper healthcare and more surgeries I am doomed to have a sad painful life. I’ll stay broke and die on my hill before I settle for that and we must stand up and say NO! Pay up! The asbestos sufferers and families got compensation and so should we as mesh survivors!

• Dean says:

I agree Anne with people coming out of the woodwork so to speak I was looking on the net the other day noticed someone having a fund raiser to go to UCLA to see Dr Razz I read her story nothing new don’t mean to be crude but why the fund raiser.She lives in the same Province as my wife and myself we didn’t have a fund raiser we went through the right channels and the Health department helped my wife and myself go to UCLA they paid for the surgery and most of the air fair just saying if you have to go to see Dr Razz your Gynaecologist would write to your Health department for you if funds where available right my wife has been going through all of this crap for four and a half years now and she’s been through hell.

• Kitty says:

Dean Are you from Canada or Norway? . It doesn’t work like this in the USA. I know the health department would not pay for my ticket to UCLA. I believe Medicare and supplemental insurance would pay. But how long will Medicare authorize surgery for this? It is very scarey. How about the Hotel? and wound supplies–pads and wipes et al. What if I dont make it out alive? Who will pay to have my body brought back to the midwest?

• Dean says:

Kitty I’m not saying this for people who live in the USA if you read I said the same Province as we live and no they don’t pay for the Hotel or food we stayed for fourteen days and yes it was a lot to spend out for a Hotel and food ect but it would have been no way for my wife to get the surgery done if the Health Department didn’t help out and pay for the surgery and most of the air fair.For extra pads and stuff I don’t know and if you didn’t come out alive well I don’t know that either what does this have to do with what I first wrote.

• Kitty says:

Dean—-I dont see any problem with someone having a fund raiser. As you said you had to pay for hotel and other expenses. Some people really dont have the means to pay for the extras.

• Dean says:

Kitty she is having the fund raiser to have the surgery done she has over 5k she needs over 30k and it’s paid for but why?really I don’t care you over read things and it doesn’t click I made a remark as someone stated there was a lot of others coming out of the wood work and it seems to be no end in sight

• Kitty says:

Oh yes Dean —it clicks and I Don’t like you ——-so there bully

• Dean says:

Kitty I have no idea why you are calling me a bully I didn’t say once for people not to have a fund raiser

Not once I think it would be a big help for lots of people I wish we could of had one to help with the hotel cost and food ect we are still trying to catch up on our credit cards. All I was trying to say Kitty was that the surgery here is fortunately is paid for here and also some financial help with the air fair and the people here trying to get help in raising money is for her surgery and like I was trying to say is Here it is Paid for by the Health Department I don’t know how it got to the point where I got a little rude towards you and you not liking me Kitty I’m just getting frustrated Just like a lot of others Husbands I to wish this was all over with so we can just get on with our lives the best we can so of I offended you SORY

• Kitty says:

Apology accepted I like you —-ok? sorry for all your suffering as well

• Cajundawn says:

I’m right there with you!! after the attorneys get their share and all of their special investigators and extra people they have to pay plus paying back the insurance companies we will be left with 10k. I lost my life, my husband. And they think it is only worth 10k. I’ll fight. Already told the Attroney no. Of course they give you the song and dance that if you don’t agree you could end up with nothing. I’d rather have nothing then left them make the money off me!!

• cynthia zimmerman says:

Yes this is false advertizing. The attorneys keep printing about large settlements, not about how many people have to share that.like i sa id i cannot believe the United States government allows this ! But i guess they get revenue from it. Why arent wre all being granted a trial ? ? And if you read everything you will know that the judge overturns the juries verdict 95% of the time.

22. All Meshed Up says:

Now we are talking about what I have been telling Hernia mesh victims for several years. The money being offered is negligible compared to the fact that you will NEVER be the same as you were before the mesh implant. Nerves have been damaged, nerves are entrapped, scar tissue causing pressure and pain, immune system problems ( this needs to be checked and verified! ), bulging, bowel problems etc etc and the list goes on. The $4500-$14,000 “offered” to the Kugel mesh victims is a pittance. Most men that I have talked to, who are usually the bread winner in the Family, can no longer work at what they did to make a living. There is no recourse. Worst of all is the hope that the “Substantial Settlement” will take care of them while they try to get their lives back together after waiting for several years. Of course when the amount comes to light, the realization that you have lost everything to a piece of plastic is devastating.

This is a medical horror that just keeps on giving. And it is very difficult to convince someone of the pain we are living if they do not have one of these little monsters in their gut. These “Settlements” need to not only, reflect the damage done and the pain that continues, but also the loss of income, mental anguish, loss of intimacy etc. The large settlements do take all of this in account but the MDL’s do not. The only thing the MDL proceedings do is get the Manufacturer off the hook, relatively unscathed and the Lawyers make a lot of money. Oh, they do one other thing also. They squash the hope of the Mesh Victim and their Family forever

Best Wishes All……..

23. All Meshed Up says:

Dear Anna, I feel the same as you do. Until there is a Fund set up, just as there is for Asbestos sufferers, most of us will never have any recompense. Because I have had 2 mesh implants ( with a kugel still in me ) there is not a Lawyer in the Country that will take my case. Too complicated. If there was a fund set up for Mesh Victims, we might actually be able to eek out a life. We will not be without pain and all that goes with mesh damage but we would ( hopefully ) not have to worry about food, housing, clothing etc.

I wish you the very Best and hope that we all will see some Justice and recompense, soon. And maybe a J&J CEO burnt at the stake, just saying…….

24. Anna Cantu says:

On another note…. Keep in mind that the amount being quoted is an average…..there will be many who have little to no claim due to no documentation? There are those who jumped in suddenly once the commercials started(not to discount anyone who is having pain) , but I do feel that the leveling of compensation is fair…..just not the amounts! The top layer should be getting hundreds of thousands to a million or two and trickled down from there. However, I read on here somewhere that the top may be capped around 400,000 or less.

If anyone knows anything about all of this and the major law firms involved please post!,

25. Jane R. says:

Sandy, this is the other side to the mesh surgery. Not being able to work. I have had to turn down jobs.

I got a job offer at a private college as switchboard operator. Not too physical of a job I would say? You push a button to answer the phone.

I cannot sit for any length of time. (Myofascial pain in hip) I sometimes have to run to the bathroom every 15 minutes if my lymphedema in my legs is agrevated and I can’t hold it because I will wet myself. Okay, so who would answer the phones?

SSDI said as long as I can walk, I’m employable. Good to know.

26. Sandy says:

I can’t walk more than a block, I can’t sit at all. Even standing theses days is painful. Laying down is even painful. Every minute of every day I am in pain. I am worn out. I have to wait until January for surgery because the doctor is so backed up with patients. The doctor told me that there is no 100% cure for the nerve damage I have, I will live with some pain the rest of my life. I will not settle until they come up with what my attorney feels they owe me for the damages they have caused in my life. I must leave that, to what I have to believe, is a damn fine attorney. I know he will fight for me. For the first time through out this whole deal he is the one who has been nice to me, has listened and has understood what this has done to me. If I have to wait and wait I have lost nothing, if I settle too soon then I lose. I have lost everything important to me I will not lose again. I am worn out and depressed. All I can do is just exists and pray and pray that God is watching and he will help me. I pray for all of the victums of this horrible life debilitating mesh horror.

27. Anna Cantu says:

Sandy I feel your pain and that’s exactly what we must do…fight and tell them that even though we will never be made whole, we will also not be mistreated once again by settling! Can you just imagine what the firms are making off of us but I can’t even pay my doctor bills?. I think NOT!

• Jan Urban says:

40% is what my firm is getting. I spoke with an associate at my firm yesterday. She calls every 1 1/2 months to see if I have had any new health issues. My Mesh Device has 1 more Bellwether in December? Ethicon? Maybe November. Maybe I’ll attend. But I’m not getting much information for my 40%. Sandy, I am so sorry for your pain and the anxiety you are having. I can only say that my pain and difficulties increase everyday. I am so irritable these days. I know you must feel alone as I believe all mesh survivors feel. I understand your anxiety and depression. I am so afraid of having my exploratory surgery in late Oct. I hate the anesthesia, I have problems with it. I’m with you Sandy.

28. Sandy says:

Jane I did have the same doctor as Linda. Dr. Kevin Benson. Today my husband and I finally called it quits. The words spoken by, him are almost more painful as the nerve damage. I am sad and mad all at the same time. He says there is no way we can afford to go to Arizionza in January even though I could make it happen. He says the surgery is to much for him and i to afford or go through. He says he hates the situation with the money and can’t take it any more. He said he would have required some how that I keep working even when I could not if he knew how this would have turned out. He is not the one in constant pain, he is not the one they have to cut into not once but twice. He’s not the one who has to live with constant pain the rest of their life. I try to understand his frustration, I understand our dreams are gone. But where is the compassion.

I am so depressed my face feels lie it is going to side down off my face. My hope that I once had is gone. All I can do is wait for my settlement and then leave and go where maybe some day I will find some one who understands what it is like to live in pain all the time. We’re someone might not see why I am in pain but still accepts that I am. The doctor would not do surgery if it was not necessary. I only have pain to look forward to. What a life to look forward to

• Kitty says:

Sandy–I have been thinking of you so often. I thought you had already gone to Arizona. You are in my prayer today. There is nothing more I can say but to tell you I know your pain. Kitty

Sandy- I’m so sorry…. there has to be a better solution for you…please don’t give up! have you had a full mesh removal?

29. sandy says:

PS thank you AMS and Dr. Benson for destroying my life

30. Kim says:

So if a fund is set up for the mesh injured like for asbestos, what happens if our attorneys had already settled and we were awarded a pittance?

• msm says:

It is my understanding that the asbestos funds are held in a trust on which injured parties can file a claim based on their injuries. While a lawsuit can also be filed, recovery from one will affect the other. The agreements set up for trusts like this have their own rules developed for that specific trust. With asbestos, claims require medical proof of injury and compensation depends on the level or teir into which a claimant falls. Sound familiar?

As I see it, unless the company actually goes bankrupt, a lawsuit is logical. There is always a safety net of a trust if the company declares bankruptcy. A bankruptcy judge determines how much the company has to set aside. If the company won’t agree, the bankruptcy court will reject their request for protection under the bankruptcy laws. The SEC tries to stay on top of it as the companies have to declare what they are setting aside for litigation like the $1.6 billion. It is just set aside. It doesn’t mean that amount will ever be paid. So the “fund” or trust is just like a settlement. The amount and requirements are preset by attorney’s and the court.

My question would be that if a lawsuit was filed and won but they appeal right up until they are bankrupt, will the plaintiff have to take what the trust offers instead of the millions that were on appeal? Logically, they would so it would behoove a company to appeal and appeal and see how long they can delay the appeal. It’s not considered a debt if it is on appeal. This is not a legal opinion and it is here to shoot holes in and discuss.

• msm says:

Also, the judge will consider previous settlement amounts. I would serious doubt that a judge could justify setting up a system that would award any amount greater than previous settlements.

• msm says:

Also, the bankruptcy judge considers past settlements. It would be highly unlikely that a judge could justify any amount greater and would most likely use a similar structure. In other words, settle now or file a claim on the trust later and it probably won’t make much difference. Lawsuits on appeal would be interesting…

31. Sandy says:

Why are we talking bankruptcy??? Just because AMS is worth 2 million doesn’t mean Endo is broke too. They wil still be responsible to pay the claims as they accepted the responsibility when they bought AMS. Has anyone stated that Endo is filing bankruptcy??

32. Sandy says:

Why are we talking bankruptcy? just because AMS is only worth 2 billion doesn’t mean Endo won’t have to step up and pay claims. They accepted responsibility for the lawsuits when they bought AMS. has some one said that Endo is filing bankruptcy?

• msm says:

Bankruptcy doesn’t usually mean “out of money” where a large company is concerned. They will file and request a “reorganization” as allowed under the bankruptcy laws. The judge is there to make sure a company can’t do this in an effort to walk away from liability. A fund would be a good thing to cover those who suffer serious mesh-related health issues after the statute of limitations has expired. A claim could be filed and some monetary relief would be received more quickly and more reliably than from a lawsuit. I would think that those currently involved in suits against the company would file claims for past and current injuries.

33. Sandy says:

Sorry for the duplicate entry Jane and all

34. Sandy says:

Kitty thank you my dear. Yes I went to Arizona to see Dr. Hibner and received a nerve block which worked for about 12 hours. They were happy about that because it does confirm Pudendal nerve damage. My insurance won’t cover radio frequency ablation so now I have to go for the full surgery when I can. I will have to have both sides done. They only do one at a time so it looks like I have the next 2-5 years of pain and surgery. One has to wonder if living through all of this is really fricken worth it. Especially when (1) there is no permanent cure (2)the post on here make me wonder if I ever will receive compensation for all the hell I am going through sounds like the companies are going to go bankrupt (3) I have lost all I have ever worked for in this life

35. Sandy says:

Jane I use to have problems with anesthesia tell them you have heard about a patch they put behind your ear. It helps with the affects of it a lot. I ask for it if I ever have surgery and now I come out of it fine.

Please tell us more… you could post a brief story anonymously in Your Turn. I’m sure others would find that helpful.

36. Sandy says:

Kitty if I go to have my surgery it will cost me almost $3000.00 for hotels, gas, etc…not including the surgery. Since I have not been working the money would be hard to come up with. I could save and save if I was with my husband, planning this together but now well…… I wish I had the contacts to have a fund raiser I say go for it if you can have a fund raiser and then go get help.

37. All Meshed Up says:

The reason Bankruptcy comes up is because of the report that Endo bought AMS for about the same amount as what they are putting forward with the $1.6 billion fund. What company could keep going with that sort of out put and your products are under scrutiny? So I think that is a legitimate concern.

As far as having a fund set up for Mesh Victims as has happened for Asbestos victims, I would hope that the sums distributed would be enough to make sure you would not have to worry about money. I think that is the worst part of being a Mesh Victim is not knowing how bad our health will be in 10 years. I am lucky in the fact that I can be somewhat active as compared to others. But the pain is getting worse ( some days worse than others etc. ) and now I am on Thyroid therapy. The thyroid problem did not crop up until a year ago and I believe it has to do with the mesh implant. I may be wrong but many of you have also questioned the auto-immune and possible chemical leeching problems associated with a mesh implant. Those components, could mean that having a mesh implant for several years will not only cause the pain etc. that we experience now but cause other, more substantial problems down the road caused by the leeching and our immune system fighting 24/7/365. This is exactly what happens with Asbestos sufferers as their health deteriorates.

Again, this all hinges on the FDA and it’s refusal to recognize the dangers of mesh. You would think that with all of the complaints, lawsuits and huge settlement numbers, the FDA would come out and say SOMETHING! But they do not. It still blows my mind that after 8 years with mesh injuries and side effects that the FDA still does not do anything but propose changes to a “Classification”. I truly believed that after this amount of time that I would have seen more from the FDA. I was stupid enough to forget the money involved and the corruption that it brings.

38. Sandy says:

I am sure Endo is just getting rid of AMS because of all the problems. Endo still has the responsibility of the law suits. But perhaps after it is sold they will not be responsible any more for the claims.

39. Kim says:

When a company buys another they can specify terms in the contract to only take over the assets and not to take on the liabilities of the corporation they are buying.

40. sandy says:

I am just going to trust my lawyer to take care if things for me and do the worrying. I have to much else to worry about. Besides I believe I have a very good attorney.

41. Jane R. says:

Sandy I’m so sorry this is happening to you. I know full well about a husbands reaction.

Mine too thinks as long as I’m standing there is nothing wrong. He doesn’t understand the want to do things and you just can’t. Somedays I feel trapped in a body that doesn’t work.

Wishing you some time of peace.

42. Anna Cantu says:

I used to be so active and vibrant. Now I lay around all day on a heating pad sad and depressed. No amount will make us whole but it may help our families deal with loss of work income and dr bills!

43. Edna says:

Can the doctors that implanted the mesh be filed on for this????

Some individuals file both medical malpractice cases and product liability. But remember, one case can cancel out the other if the doctor blames the manufacturer and the manufacturer blames the doctor. Though some have been won that way. See Christine Scott for example. Use the search bar…

• Dana Ochsner says:

Just had this done against my will! Did not sign consent but MD thought I wanted it so put the Monarch Mesh in after TVH. I am having pain and suffering and this is only 5 weeks post op…Who do I go after as I am so very fearful of having this device taken out due to surgery complications. I had to be given Narcan to come out of anesthesia overdose..This is such bull!

Really? Where are you located? Who would do that considering the litigation that is including doctors. Please let us know.

44. Anonymous says:

I posted this on another thread. This, I think…is the correct thread…

BEGIN QUOTE FROM ARTICLE

“According to Endo, they settled nearly all of the remaining U.S. lawsuits against their Perigee, Apogee, and Elevate mesh implants. While the current deal settles over 10k lawsuits, Endo had agreed to pay approximately $830 million earlier this year to settle an additional 20k suits. Both deals have average mesh settlement amounts or mesh settlement values in the $40K to $50K range, though many cases with serious complications and revision surgeries are expected to be awarded much more -as much as $400K in some cases- according to Legal-Bay’s sources close to the litigation. The settlement was announced after the U.S. FDA stated the vaginal mesh inserts needed stricter safety requirements as they are high-risk devices. Endo paid $54.5 million to resolve an undisclosed number of suits of their devices in June of 2013, and now the company has agreed to pay nearly $1.3 billion to resolve the most recent settlement of lawsuits. ”

END QUOTE FROM ARTICLE

I hope this is helpful to someone.

45. jane doe says:

these lawyer’s are being pain off by these manufactures to have client settle for what they are offering. the company should not be able to file bankruptcy and the parent company should also be liable. if your not getting multi- million dollar settlements like the first cases. the lawyer firms should be held liable for not getting the same settlements that was awarded on the previous cases. the overwhelming wealth of these manufactures are using the court system to not pay up. I would advise to talk to your lawyers and tell them what you want in the settlement not what the company views your pain and damage to your body to be worth if you can get them to call back. most class actions, the patient don’t get nothing.

46. Kathleen Chambers says:

I had one of these damned things implanted in 2004. It started to cause the tissue to rot. They removed it and implanted another. It too has failed. To this day, I still cannot have sex with my husband, live in constant pain and I have to wear protection, especially at night because I am incontinent. $46,000??? That is BS to the highest. I can’t work, I have to live on the SSD I get and the SSD my hubby gets. We have to live on $1700/month. I would like to see these judges and CEO’s live on that!! I bet they can’t do it. I have lost my house, my car and I can’t even pay my utilities most of the time. In addition, these attorneys are getting 40%!!!

• Jeneen blackburn says:

Iv had my mesh taken out still can’t work , I have permanent nerve damage and a fak Eritrea can’t have sex with my husband and my anger takes over me . I have to have another surgery and still lost all

47. Wilma Ingram says:

I can not get no help here in Oregon State !

No doctor’s will help me ! The insurance company doesn’t care either !

I wish all people’s get help.

48. Rho says:

My question is approximately how much do medicare and medicaid take back from settlement. After attorneys fees, reimbursement to both insurances, will there b anything left.

Your attorney should direct you to a special needs trust….. Please inquire and insist they help you create one!!!!

49. Sharon Bearden says:

Those of us who have had the mesh even longer than most, suffer even longer. I’m shocked I have not been put away . The pain of this is more than I can take at times so I lash out at anyone. My Husband He gets most of the blunt of my hurt attacks. I’m 68 have had this since 2007. Pain , aches, fatique, Pain, medications, Pain, the looks, words, ignoreing from Doctors, how much humiliation They can make You feel. The diareah, can’t take trips or go too long from home, bathroom runs!

I have had two back surgeorys, have had a spinal cord implant for pain. It helps my abdoman painbut adds diffrent kind of pain, takes mind to other areas. I wish just a small amount of compassion for this was shown. A settlement was reached . Comparable to the injurie, the pain and etc. So follow up surgories, medical bills, medication expense etc. could be taken care of for our needs. I pray just for s few hours of relief at any time. If I take enough medication . I can go to sleep. Prayers for all, hurting for all of us, wishing all of this were not real. But it is so we’ll do another day. Love To All, Another Mesh Angel.

Sharon- I”m so sorry for what you are going through AND your husband as well. The men who stay and are supportive are true friends and angels. Thank you for remembering him here…

50. Billie says:

This is crazy !! I had mine done in 2011 and been living with the pain and having all kinds of problems I was not even aware that it was my mesh until recently and I have the symptoms of it I can’t find a doctor to help me any suggestions from anyone and I will be praying for you all no one should have to suffer like this.

51. Jan says:

I would like too see the list of all American men and women’s name that has a mesh,sling etc. In court filed records and each that has a name brand device or numbered one. I think it’s public record. And when do we start receiving letters of settlement funds. Something. And which court we are under in our case thanks. My heart bleeds

52. Bonnie Carll says:

I have my settlement to my law firm was approved by them for a settlement from American Medical system. Was sent to them on Feb 23,2015.they said it would take several months. They said I will proberly get $40,000 after lawyer fees /How Long does it take to get my settlement my money?

53. mesh sufferer says:

who is your lawyer

54. jbrokenbody says:

Honestly u people can’t believe lawyers are getting payoffs too settle. A judge and other people in committees see over that. This is so huge anyone would be stupid to take payoffs. To much assuming and no faith in Honorable Judge Goodwin He’s a serious human being. People need not say things and hurtful things too others right now. The lawyers are doing what the law allows. A lawyer is doing everything humanely possible too have great out come for us all and them. U don’t know who’s reading these statements. Its too much money for anyone to know how much they will get. I see huge settlements. U have too believe it

The documents don’t lie. Dr did what they knew. Of coruse how much we want know. Not less one has a guilty conscience an nd comes forward. But I know I have faith and believe in our justice system. Phillips,Sanders,Viener,and Grossman law firm I trust them faithfully. Be careful and good luck! God Bless Everyone and Honesty.

55. mary says:

so my share of the settlement was $50,000.00. I have to pay attorney shares of $19000.00. Medicare claim of $10000.00 and my share is $17000.00 and some change. can someone explain to me why my attorney gets more than I on a class action lawsuit? I may get some of the $10000.00 back but still. the settlement amount was a slap in the face, but not as much as a slap than my lawyer gave me.

56. Jbroken says:

Well I read where Canadia going for their clients $500,000. I’m feelin that we deserve for being implanted with this deadly thing too. 40,000 is to low for me. But glad u are satisfied. I’m happy for u all. God Bless

57. jbroken says:

Unforgivable that these doctors are still doing this and for god sakes these manufactures still sailing them. How in the world is this happening. Come get a another lawyer for this . Unreal, you are suffering. Medical malpractice. Come on, my heart is lacking for u. I cannot believe this. How dare a doctor to continue these things. They I thought were smarter than this. I pray hard for u my dear. Call out a new case. Its got to stop! UNREAL

58. Viola walden says:

Well my boyfriend left me today. We have been together for 15 years and now he cannot take my pain and his pain of me being in pain . Every time he wants to touch . The pain is so bad I m eat pain pills am to pm. Sometimes I can hardly walk. So much for mesing up my life (bard)

59. CM says:

So how are we to know how many women say no to what they have offered to us for all of the crap we have gone through? And how do we figure the amount of the fees the attorneys are going to pilfer?

CM- there was supposed to percentage required to sign on before the settlement would be on the table. The companies probably know if that threshold number has been reached. Come to a trial. You will seethe amount of work it takes to bring one of these to a jury. You might have a better understanding of the worth of a trial attorney. Hard work should be compensated….. not all attorneys work hard, but some do. Very hard.

60. I had the bladder mesh. I suffer alot of pain, lost my husband, lost a partner that I tired to start a relationship, additional surgery, need surgery every 7-10 yrs, and my life change. 🙁 I have a law suit from a attorney in Houston. What makes me sick just hearing that they are awarding very little. My god I just can’t believe this. I do have a problem that even to work. Uncomfortable with pain and can’t say nothing. 40,000.00 won’t even help my bills in the future. So upset this this company. Ruin my life.

61. Melissa says:

I had the bladder mesh. I suffer alot of pain, lost my husband, lost a partner that I tired to start a relationship, additional surgery, need surgery every 7-10 yrs, and my life change. 🙁 I have a law suit from a attorney in Houston. What makes me sick just hearing that they are awarding very little. My god I just can’t believe this. I do have a problem that even to work. Uncomfortable with pain and can’t say nothing. 400,000.00 won’t even help my bills in the future. So upset this this company. Ruin my life.

62. Melissa says:

This company thinks giving out hardly nothing it will not heal us. Nor can we continue to get help with our health. Medical cost increases every year and if I was to live for a long time will that money last to pay my medical bills? Medicare won’t. Hope they were to think about that. Not for the present. I’m here sitting waiting for them to review my file. They will probably not consider much. After I don’t have a life anymore.

• Melissa R says:

I just read 40,000.00 paid out. That’s Penny’s!! Even 500,000.00 when we pay out attorney what do we have left? This company thinks we are just nothing. After we have stayed ruin for life. And they have a normal life and money still coming in. This company really things of us as just a testing product. Toss it away. No hearts at all. Hope they close my case out soon before December. Lairs. Then the amount. Is probably not enough to pay much. I guess they are leaving to the government

63. Melissa says:

Jim Purdue is my attorney in Houston. After his share has been taken::::: wondering will I have enough money to pay for my medical bills for the future? Like they think here is 40,000.00 – 500,000.00. This company thinks of us like animals.

64. Melissa says:

Jim Purdue is my attorney in Houston. Hoping the award to us is over a million. Like other companies.

65. Corina Cox says:

What we need 2 do is help each other. Find other mesh patients in the cities we need to have surgeries. Make friends with them,stay with them,have them come 2 the hospital so the hubbies can stay at home.Had 1 surgery then a yr or so later had 2 have it done again. Still in pain but not nearly as bad as most of u. Prayers 2 u all. Hope with being a caae by case. Yhe people who had it the wost get the most help. Then we can have some kind of nornal life. Im only 42 yrs old. Im going thru menipause and the idea of sex is just ugggg…. Good luck ladies im here in ohio if u need a place 2 crash and support at the hospitals here. Lots of love and prayers.

66. Shannon roemer says:

I had the monarc implanted in mid aug 2014 for stress incontinence, my Dr. Felt this was going to be my saving grace, wow was he wrong and I am paying for it now. I am glad to have found this to hear other stories as i feel so alone, i have lost my husband due to this as bad enough was in adult diapers at night and bladder pads everyday supplied through j&b medical, peeing on him or having to leave was straining enough and sex life not pleasant, had this implant and when time passed to allow for that was excruciating, needless to say we are no longer together and going through divorice. I can’t understand why they inplanted me in aug ’14 w/ this product as now I’ve found this site aswell as others recently and see how far back problems were reported actually there were already lawsuits! I’m dumbfounded as to why the hell i am even going through this hell and it was known already and 4 mos. Later recalled. As im writing this i am crying as i have become very depressed for obvoius reasons, i have pain in pelvic area, deep like being stabbed, I’m on 6th antibiotic since Sept. As Uti is not going away, wich i hear this is not good as can become resistant if need for something else. My urologist now prescribed diazepam 10mg (valium) to insert vaginally for pain as they said im taking to much over counter ibuprofen alternating tylenol,,,well what shall i take! Bad enough im peeing all over self as im worse now than ever and double over in pain. I call them they seem frustrated and keep saying ook dr says exactly where is pain, omg are you kidding not only have i shown him and his NP with all these visits, now they say well uti should not cause this much pain…hmmm as they have me sceduled dec. 14Th for cmg and cystoscopy to check for erosion or shrinkage etc. And now said i should see a gynecologist, havent had one in years as i had full hysterectomy as i reminded them went on to say maybe go to er, ive had it! I feel like they have givin up on me as like i am a chronic complainer, well ya it is chronic and i just dont know what to do anymore. I had a suicide attempt in September and i only put this out as i feel more need to know your not alone and the serious depression behind it is real, i am thankful to be alive as i love my children and expecting first grandchild from my 26 yr old son. I have a therapist and really helps, doesn’t take away but helps as i never knew of these forums until just recently looking into them on google. I did contact a lawyer and monday recieved an acceptance letter, don’t know how money will ever repair whats lost, damaged and wtvr lies ahead but for what its worth i believe they should be held accountable and compensate as we will have a lifetime of healing as i pray not pain, procedure coming soon. Sick of wearing three diapers at night, crying in pain, and now my Urologist gave me information of a product that gets implanted in your upper butt then lil electrodes to spine with a handheld device to control! Are they NUTS! They weren’t even aware of all the problems and lawsuits of the monarc they so highly recommended and were sure was going to help me and now before you go in to check to see for removal of your offering me another implant and this goes into spine! NO THANKS! Sad that we put so much trust in our drs and thinking they keep up to date on what they are giving/implanting into hopeful patients of just to get better…ty for allowing my post here as like i said I’ve been alone through all this and know i can see im most definitely not, Lost in Wisconsin

Shannon… can we help you find a competent doctor? Obviously the mesh is not working for you with the degree of pain you experienced right away and obviously, pain meds don’t work for anyone long term. let me know if you need some names. It is your life and a proactive aggressive search for your health is of paramount importance now. janeakre@meshnewsdesk.com

• shannon R says:

thank you Jane..i seriously just dont know what to do! I was in a catheter prior to mesh for a month and now i am worse than ever and im confused as why i am left like i just dont matter. I am going through the adult super diapers and dont get supplied enough for it cover the month. My pain is intolerable at times.. Have you ever heard of this valium inserted for pain, its a oral pill my pharmacist said and was confused why i recieved this as the drs. Nurse on phone consult said would maybe relieve pain.. I dont think my dr intentionally implanted me with a device that was already known to have horrendous outcomes, but now that this is happening and im finding there were years and years of problems with this device, was he not updated on this so called life saver for me? Why did they allow us to have this..omg im again dumbfounded as having it put in just four months before recall and 20,000 suits..like most i had no idea just wanted help..is my dr afraid of what he implanted knowing now what harm and daily hell i go through this is going to be a problem for him? Idk but i most definitely want to voice this to the makers of this device of how much pain inside and out and destroying a 44 year old womens life…i dont even barely leave my house anymore. i will continue with my cystoscopy. I also feel a severe joint pain i never had, so much and sad. I would love suggestions of should i keep this dr or what ? Ty and i will stand up and BE HEARD IF I HAVE TO TAKE TO ANOTHER LEVEL FOR US WOMEN WHO JUST WANTED HELP

• Wilma Ingram says:

No Dr’s. here in Oregon want to help me explant the mesh inside of me 🙁

All these drs are concerned with is making money putting the mesh in , and making money 🙁

Is there any help for me any where ??

Wilma…. Dr Una Lee in Seattle is well regarded.

Dr Una Lee, Virginia Mason Clinics in Seattle, 206-341-0560

Sorry, I do not know of anyone in Oregon! Though they must exist. Anyone?

67. Kim says:

I decided to do some research today based on a commercial I just saw on TV. I didn’t realize this was an issue with anyone else. Guess I’ve been in the dark. I had an AMS Monarch sling put in, September 2007. Within 3 months, I realized something was wrong with this sling. It didn’t stop the incontinence and the tissue was hurting around it. Hard to described the discomfort, but it never goes away. I went to the doctor, who told me it had been placed correctly and offered no solution. Here it is 7 years later, and I’ve been through two additional procedures to stop the incontinence, and have had mesh trimmed out that is eroding through the scar tissue. The were unable to remove the mesh as it was eroded into the muscle. The mesh area continually hurts. And sex hurts. This was scratching my husband, grossed him out, and ruined our sex life. As I sit here writing, I still feel the pulling of the mesh. Almost like a tugging itch. It has affected my life. It has made me feel unworthy of sexually pleasing my husband or receiving such. We are actually now separated.

So, although compensation, I don’t care how much….is received, I would rather have my pre-surgery self back, albeit with incontinence. I will file for compensation, not for obtaining the money so much, but to ensure they pay for placing this on the market in the first place. Any comments on how to do this are appreciated. Kim

Kim-

Do you have a competent doctor and lawyer? Do you have all of your medical records? You need all three. Please advocate for yourself. Write if you’d like some suggestions janeakre@meshnewsdesk.com We are not a lawyer referral service BTW.

• Anonymous says:

I am just reading about many AMS settlements for around $40,000. My attorneys sent me a Master Settlement matrix that said that I was in Category 2 (I have a claim for the bladder sling) and the amount that they encouraged me to settle for was less than $14,000!!!! (And I did, maybe stupidly, in September) After 37% for the attorneys, 5% administrative fees for the payer, I will get maybe around $8,000. I was told that I might expect 1/2 of the payment in September and the other 1/2 in 90 days. Now, they are saying that they won’t pay out any of the money until they have like 90% of the offers signed and back to the lawyers. Am I being scammed? I have had these attorneys on this and my other case against Johnson & Johnson for the Ethicon Gynecare mesh which I feel sure that I will never get an acceptable offer amount and I had read about my legal firm having at least one suit against them some years back. I have had my concerns. If they do not wish to carry my Jonson & Johnson case to trial, can I drop them and contract with another attorney?

Hello- I changed your name to anonymous after you published it. There is no way your attorney would advise you to publish this info and put your name… please be aware and read the fine print. Any settlement goes away if you disclose it…. see the nondisclosure clause in fine print. As to your question, $8,000!? Wow… Also read the fine print,. You will never be able to bring another action.

• BL says:

You just told my story Kim, my whole story. I suffer everyday. I have two sons n 6 grandchildren n i stay to mysellf dont want to go out n when i do im scared to death . As i understand these law firms need at least 90% of clients to accept the little crumbs they throwing at us i say if everyone say no we can win more. This damm judge dont care bout us. The judge, lawyers n courts ar making millions off the pain n suffering if us. How do this happen when they are not feeling any pain they did not have any quack doctor cut them and use them as human guinea pigs. Now out of 1.6 billion dollars why would we settle for peanuts? Someone should call news anonymously shadow out our faces n tell what they are doing to all of us. The Federal Government can not let this happen we are humans living in this country and we have Human Rights and Civil Rights! If anyone has any suggestions please share. Thank you Kim for sharing your story. Thank everyone for sharing their stories.

• Angela says:

Did you accept their offer? I am in same boat as you! They offering me crumbs and I want to get out of class action suit and go with s private Attorney.

68. Momma Bear says:

I have just received my settlement papers and started reading the comments on this site. My head is swimming!! Do I take the offer or not? I’m scared to death to take it but scared not to at the same time. Advise please

• Angela says:

I’m a member of the Johnson Johnson class action. I wish I had just got a regular lawyer and went to court. They offering 41K. Which u have to take 40% off for the Atty’s. Then another 5% to the court. It’s like a slap in the face:(. I want out of the group attorney thing, but I don’t know if I can being now they made the offer but I’m going to check around. If anyone else is in this situation please let me know. Thank you

69. Pissed off says:

So i have an AMS bladder sling that has erroded into my bladder there is no way of fixing it. So i am stuck with it for the rest of my life. And because i couldn’t get mine removed cause it’s not medically capable of being removed i was put on the low end of the settlement funds. And after said and done im only getting 7,000$ for something that can never be fixed or taken out. That is the most BULLSHIT i have ever heard in my life. $7,000 isn’t going to help me with anything when it comes to my health. I warn everyone “get your own personal lawyer” cause if you do it with a class action lawsuit you better be ready to take a cactus up your ass.

Are you taking the money? Is it half of the $7,000… I’m so sorry… can you get another medical opinion? This is the Catch-22, not enough insurance or funds to have a removal surgery, puts you in the lowest compensation rung… that doesn’t mean you are NOT injured. !!! Who came up with this standard of injury?